12/21/14 Playtest QUESTIONS!!

Wizard
Remember what Jaetch did on Friday? I was selected to do the same thing this Friday at 2:30 PDT, with the head designer of the Wizard class, Don Vu. Awwww yyyeeaaaahhh.

Might end the stream with a rap. I so excite!

EDIT: 2/21. The playtest is in about an hour.

Here's a list of the questions I'm gonna ask Don Vu. At this point, if you don't see your question, it's because someone else is going to ask it or I've been asked to not bring it up (Take off your tinfoil hats, the questions I can't ask almost never apply to anything you guys listed)

Can you guys think of any question that should be on this list that's not. Keep in mind I combed through the thread and picked the questions that I felt would get a real solid answer. We can argue about what I chose to ask or not ask later. I used my judgement :/ <--That's terrifying.

---

Arcane Dynamo - no longer works with snapshotting channeling spells. Is this a result of the buffs you gave to channelers? Do you feel that the buff to non channeled spells by Arcane Dynamo is enough to keep them on pace with channelers?

(How come the non-channeled AP spenders cost so much compared to channeled spells and do less damage than channelers and have worse coefficients?)

Can we have an elemental spell that channels a different element? Like a Fire Disintegrate?

Diamond Skin Prism - the shell cracks so fast, what real savings can I get from it?

Since Critical Mass is gone, and since Arcane Power on Crit is taking such a hit, can we have some buffed proc coefficients to match since the spam threat is now subsided?

Every class except the wizard has a significant way to regain health through skills/runes. Any plans on giving the wizard class something other than a shield based recovery systems?

Why are Hydra’s critical hit damage capped at 50%/The Hydra's damage doesn't seem very appealing...
Some questions to think about:

- Ask about Arcane Dynamo and what happened to it: tie it into the whole snapshotting, gear-swapping, etc. conversation
- Ask about the thought process behind Archon's offensive changes in comparison to the recent buffs to the base damage of channeling spells
- Ask about their vision regarding the whole APoC-spenders thing, even though Wyatt already addressed this... just for good measure

I also sent in feedback report regarding Hydra, its attractiveness, and its effectiveness in terms of supplementary damage in comparison to "pet" summons in the likes of DH's Sentry. I would've contacted Don about it specifically, but you can do this for me!

And as a PSA for those reading—don't forget that these playtest sessions are meant to be for fun.

Have fun, man. Hopefully I have time around then to tune in.
02/19/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Jaetch
And as a PSA for those reading—don't forget that these playtest sessions are meant to be for fun.

Have fun, man. Hopefully I have time around then to tune in.

Wrong, they're meant to attempt to humiliate the devs on stream, and then give the belligerent forum masses fodder to rage about.
Thanks Jaetch.

Question - how come you didn't ask these questions? Did you find it difficult to get a word in? Cuz lol, that's never a problem for me.

Secondly, I think I'll have a blast and still be able to ask some really good questions. I think I have enough tact to know when I'm being abrasive. Normally I just ignore the fact that I've crossed that threshold but in this case, I'll dial it down if necessary ;)

So! Wizard forums!! Let me be thy humble public servant. List your questions! I'll ask what I can, when i can!
02/19/2014 04:23 PMPosted by Melkor
Question - how come you didn't ask these questions? Did you find it difficult to get a word in? Cuz lol, that's never a problem for me.

I kept conversation strictly on systems, combat, and the game as a whole for Wyatt's. He's also the WD lead and unfortunately the streamers who were with me don't really play the WD as their main.

Right now the playtest session with Andrew Chambers is on (twitch.tv/thunderclaww) and he's the lead with the crusader. It's really nice right now because he's talking strictly crusader (edit: now he's talking a bit about Ubers).

I think for yours with Don, that's the prime opportunity to ask wizard stuff. Little birdie told me you'll be paired with DatModz as well (mains a monk). Don's also the monk lead, so there will likely also be a lot of monk questions.

I can talk to you more about this on the side. But for the sake of being organized (something I learned on my stream), try to work out how to take turns asking questions when the four of you are preparing before the streams go live.
Yea! Melkor!!
Just enjoy it Melkor.

Mm OT... anyone watching gold prices last few days... its skyrocketing.
break the wall of vagueness, melkor

i am begging you to do this
Please ask the following:

1)- How come all signature spells not called Electrocute or Conflagrate suck?

2)- How come the non-channeled AP spenders cost so much compared to channeled spells and also do less damage and have worse coefficients?

3)- How come Frost Nova: Frozen Mist still sucks? Why not reduce the cooldown on just that rune to 6 seconds so that it can compete with Explosive Blast? About the same damage, just over time instead of all at once.

4)- Diamond Skin: Prism still needs work. The cooldown is way too long, and the AP savings really isn't that much considering the shield breaks before the 3 seconds is up a lot of the time. If the AP reduction was independent of the shield it would help a lot.

5)- Why does Teleport: Reversal still exist? For that one guy who thinks he's a badass by kiting mobs back and forth over Mammoth Hydra fire rivers?

6)- Energy Twister is only ever good when it can hit each mob for at least 50% of its duration. The easiest way to ensure that is to have every rune apply a snare to mobs. If you play with Wicked Wind coupled with Temporal Flux you'll see what I'm talking about.

7)- Blizzard: Grasping Chill is pretty lackluster and I really don't see anyone using this rune. Cold damage already snares for 60%, and the other runes outshine an extra 20% snare quite considerably.

8)- The following Armor runes are complete garbage and anyone that uses them should be shot: Chilling Aura, Jagged Ice, Thunderstorm, Absorption, and Energy Tap. Please consider reworking these to save people from being shot. Also, why does Energy Armor still reduce max AP by 20? It no longer buffs armor by an obscene amount so it's not really justified anymore IMO.

9)- Magic Weapon: Force Weapon is way too good compared to the other runes. Please consider buffing the base Magic Weapon to 15% to more even things up. Also, Conduit sucks. That is all.

10)- Please make a good Legendary that makes Death Blossom the best spell in the entire game bar none. Thanks in advance.

11)- What happened with AD? Is it intended that it no longer works with channeled spells? Since channeled spells were buffed, this makes sense, but non-channeled AP spenders are still behind and need some love. Thoughts about buffing AD to help?

12)- Since you guys are nerfing APoC (or thinking about it), does this open up the possibility to buff coefficients for LoH purposes so that we don't completely suck in that department?

13)- Are you ever going to get around to fixing Magic Weapon: Deflection?

If you can get all of those questions in during the play test, Melkor, I'd really appreciate it. :P
02/19/2014 05:14 PMPosted by Aphraell
anyone watching gold prices last few days... its skyrocketing.

I know its bit weird, n bad news for everyone except for blizz. :(
Malakai...that's..a lot of questions. If ya had to pick 3 that were the most important to you brother, which would they be? I'm not sure if I can ask all those :/

Thanks aphraell

Pichapie, I feel you on "the wall of vagueness". Which issue is specifically most important to YOU?
02/19/2014 05:57 PMPosted by Melkor
Malakai...that's..a lot of questions. If ya had to pick 3 that were the most important to you brother, which would they be? I'm not sure if I can ask all those :/

I was half-joking with my request for you to ask all of those. I posted them all out of frustration mainly because I feel that there are so many lackluster things with our class and the vast majority of them have never been addressed, and all these craptastic runes still exist, most of which there are VERY easy fixes for.

Anyhow, if you really want to ask any of the questions on my list, I'd say numbers 1, 2, and 11 are most pressing to me personally, and probably number 12. You're the man of the hour, though, so whatever you feel is best. But be sure to ask Don to teach Wyatt how APoC actually works.
Grats Melkor,

I'm happy to see that a class specific player is able to run and ask questions your class, with a class specific dev.

I look forward to your post :)
Can you link your twitch channel Melkor? I tried searching for your name and a few different people showed up.
Discrepancies between channeled spenders and casted spenders still baffles me.

Disintegrate ~%500 wpn dmg/sec....18AP/sec...instant travel...AoE...have to stand still
Meteor ~%500 wpn dmg +%150 dot....40AP /cast....1.5 second delay..smaller aoe...cast and move

These aren't anywhere near balanced enough to feel like there is a play-style choice. Arcane orb (other than orbit?) is in the same boat. Casted spenders, they're not worth having on your bars
02/19/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Melkor
Remember what Jaetch did on Friday? I was selected to do the same thing this Friday at 2:30 PDT, with the head designer of the Wizard class, Don Vu. Awwww yyyeeaaaahhh.

Might end the stream with a rap. I so excite!

From what I gathered from Jaetch's stream with Wyatt they are definitely set on having a resource pool. To point they designed a limited primary resource system to make sure the player had to make conscious decisions regarding their gearing choices. (I.e.)
why design a resource pool at all if you let the players break it rules

So if that is an intended design why are cc affixes from elites (Jailer, nightmarish, walling and to a lesser extent frozen orb and pulse) all allowed to to be cast faster than what is possible for the player to overcome through cooldown reduction on their defensive skills. I.e. I cast mirror image to escape jailer just to have it cast on me again right away. Why are elites allowed to triple wall my location preventing me from moving Still (its been confirmed as a bug multiple times and still hasn't been fixed). Why does mirror image our ONLY true pure cc break not Work on fear or stun effects? (yes there are some stuns to worry about; although rushed pvp aspect)

Why are there no dodge skill mechanics in game . I.e. being able to outrun a ranged attack, or moving out of its path. You can't escape a ranged attack unless something either blocks it or you used slow time to slow the missile down enough to side step it.

Why allow players to still be able to permanently stun elites ad-infinium after the removal of critical mass? (heck there are even some legendaries which encourage it) (looks at monk bell spam game play and wonders why wizards were targeted for Apoc reduction).

These are just a few of some burning questions I have.
So if that is an intended design why are cc affixes from elites (Jailer, nightmarish, walling and to a lesser extent frozen orb and pulse) all allowed to to be cast faster than what is possible for the player to overcome through cooldown reduction on their defensive skills. I.e. I cast mirror image to escape jailer just to have it cast on me again right away. Why are elites allowed to triple wall my location preventing me from moving Still (its been confirmed as a bug multiple times and still hasn't been fixed). Why does mirror image our ONLY true pure cc break not Work on fear or stun effects? (yes there is a bit although rushed pvp aspect)

This whole part isn't really an issue, based on my experiences. Illusionist + Mirror Image solves basic Frozen and Jailer effects, as does the new Ice Climbers' power (complete immunity to Frozen and Jailer). Illusionist + Teleport also solves Jailer to an extent, in addition to Waller. Event Horizon Black Hole also solves Waller, in addition to all ground effects from elites. And, oh, did I mention Illusionst + Mirror Image? Combine that with Event Horizon Black Hole, you can clean up the entire screen of ground effects.

For Nightmarish, I learned that stacking crowd control reduction as secondary stats is absolutely amazing. I'm running around 40% right now and I've gotten well over 60%. Being feared was almost nonexistent. When it happened, it only lasted a split second before I was back in action.
02/19/2014 08:21 PMPosted by Jaetch
This whole part isn't really an issue, based on my experiences. Illusionist + Mirror Image solves basic Frozen and Jailer effects, as does the new Ice Climbers' power (complete immunity to Frozen and Jailer). Illusionist + Teleport also solves Jailer to an extent, in addition to Waller. Event Horizon Black Hole also solves Waller, in addition to all ground effects from elites. And, oh, did I mention Illusionst + Mirror Image? Combine that with Event Horizon Black Hole, you can clean up the entire screen of ground effects.

See Jaetch I do get the whole concept of being able to outgear content though I am against a gear check, although I understand its purpose. (Any true ARPG would also allow the player to outskill content as well as outgear). So why include a defensive skill at all when it can be negated by gearing and by the content you encounter. Forcing the players into a specific gear set just to pass a specific elite affix is gonna force the same exact situations we have with the dilemma of gear swapping. (highly frowned upon by blizzard). From my viewpoint it seems to be a large incoming design issues 6 months from now when were all wearing the same defensive gear and swapping immunity gear at will.
Not really. I'd love a pair of Ice Climbers or the BT set to ignore elite affixes. But I would also like the Firebird set, with one slot likely to be boots. Arcana set also takes up the boots slot. And Illusory Boots are amazing for maneuverability, too. So Ice Climbers isn't always the best. But I can also get by with stacking crowd control reduction stats or using the skills that are available for the class. As you said, skills. If not skills, then gear, one or the other.

The only part of elite affixes that I raise an eyebrow to are the unavoidable damage that you take from Vortex and Jailer. Everything else there are ways to compensate and adapt.
This is great news Melkor, i am going to try my best to be there for this as i am very interested to see what the brains behind our class has to say on the subject.

Please consider these thoughts for your play session:

1. APoC - I don't see the nerf as an issue but rather as a means to diversify ap resources which is cool, so i'm wondering if they have explored increased ap regen rates or buffs from legos ala soon to be legacy tal set 4 bonus in helping with overcoming dependency on apoc perticularily for channeling skills. Furthermore:
02/19/2014 05:42 PMPosted by Malakai
12)- Since you guys are nerfing APoC (or thinking about it), does this open up the possibility to buff coefficients for LoH purposes so that we don't completely suck in that department?
I would really love to see this point raised as i think it might be a nice idea for build diversity as we are no longer reliant on CM and APoC so maybe higher proc coefficients will add to build diversity possibly in more ways then just LoH.

2. Staves - I have never seen a wizard actually use a staff in a build, ever, period. This is the most completely useless item and if it weren't for our enchantress they would have never seen the light of day. Are there going to be any advances for making staves more appealing to use i.e. allowing a source to be equipped with them ala DH bows/crosbows and quivers. As staves are 2h weapons atm how about fixing the math on them while we are at it, which would help a great deal if we cannot equip an off hand while using one. I want to run a bloody staff build already.

Those are my 2 current ideas that i would like to see some opinions / thoughts / development.