[2.1 Mechanics] Spirit Generators: Quick Ref.

Monk
1 2 3 26 Next
7-29-2016 Edit: Patch 2.4.2 has gone Live and I have updated the first post to reflect the 2.4.2 rankings / data.

Click the link below to jump to the most recent info (also pasted in OP below)
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/11882328396?page=21#post-401

Log of Changes to this Quick Reference Guide:
Reference 2.1 Post Archived Here:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/11882328396?page=9#post-169
Reference 2.0 Post Archived Here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882328396?page=9#161

Finally getting around to updating this spirit generator quick reference guide now that the reigning champ (Fists of Fury) is looking to lose its crown soon. Assuming the massive buff to Raiment 6pc generator damage goes live next week in 2.4.2, there could be quite a few runes making appearances on the leaderboards. These charts should be fairly self explanatory, but I'll add some notes/comments below.

2.4.3 Single Target DPS Chart
http://i.imgur.com/t2yCyPd.png

Original 2.4.2 Single Target DPS Chart that forgot Thunderclap
http://i.imgur.com/mzVwNds.png

AoE Scaled DPS Chart
http://i.imgur.com/IlSXgAS.png

Spirit Generation Chart
http://i.imgur.com/G2JZcfn.png

Proc Coefficent Chart
http://i.imgur.com/1flApBT.png

Chart Notes:
- The charts are assuming you are using Raiment 2pc, Alacrity, Shenlong, and FD³.
- The Y-axis values are pretty arbitrary and really just meant to show a ranking
- The X-axis value is your Sheet APS. Just take your weapon APS (base 1.4 for fists) multiplied by the sum of all your additive non-weapon IAS affixes/buffs, and then just multiply that result by 2 for Flying Dragon.
- The "jumps" in the chart represent a reduction in frames of one of the 3 strikes of each generator.
- Typically, depending on solo or group, you want to be able to reach the "last plateu" with all your IAS buffs + FD. Additional IAS that would push you past 5APS will help increase FD uptime.
- 5 APS is the highest attack speed you can achieve in D3. Skill specific IAS modifiers like Raiment 2pc and Alacrity will bump your actual APS above that.
- The AoE scale factor is just an estimate using some values extracted from the power files and a little bit of testing in the brawling arena (but are likely not that accurate.)
- The Proc Chart can be summed up by "FoF still best". The runes in red on the chart have slightly lower proc rate, but larger AoE, and are not shown due to laziness.
- The Spirit Per Second chart boils down to Quickening for a mini-Teleport or Rising Tide for density.
- I kept FoF 2.4.1 as a reference, since it is probably the output most folks are familiar with.

Comments
- Mangle and Hands of Lightning look to have pulled to the head of the pack.
- Fists of Fury still reigns for any builds that benefit from on high proc coefficents. (Keep in mind I don't subscribe to the theory that Flying Dragon is related to proc coefficients.) ^_^
- DPS Buffs from: Assimilation / Foresight / Breaking Wave / Blazing Fists are NOT factored into the charts.
- Extra AoE of: Tsunami / Scattered Blows / Piercing Trident / Bounding Light / Static Charge are not shown.
- WotHF runes have a break point near 5 APS that makes it harder to gear for than CW or DR which have a wide plateau starting at ~4.5 APS.
- FoF's DoT can stack stricken by itself. (but still limited by the ICD)
- WotHF's 2nd strikes sometimes applies two stacks of stricken due to the nature of the min-punching - putting the gem on ICD when the 3rd strike lands. (should be a non-issue)
- WotHF's 2nd strike's interrupt provides a pretty decent toughness boost in melee.
- DR's 3rd strike's knockup effect got the shaft this patch with increased resistance.
- CW's AoE is ~20% more than WotHF. (this seems a bit low, but is what my napkin math came up with)
- DR's AoE is ~15% less than WotHF (I didn't put much effort into verifying the width used)
- FoT is so terrible in density, I replaced it with Thunderclap for the AoE chart just so it would show up.
- Half of Hands of Lightning's damage is concentrated on the 2rd strike which reduced it's DPS x AoE result
- Windforce Flurry's 3rd strike is narrower than DR's strikes., but travels 40 yards.
- I tried to find my Warhammer 40k flame thrower template for the Deadly Reach shape :-D
- I did verify a few breakpoints and hitboxes on PTR, but am sure I made some bad assumptions or copy-pasted an error into it, so if you see anything wrong let me know!
- I will update the OP once 2.4.2 goes live and the changes are confirmed.

Wildcards
- Assimilation with a consistent uptime on ~15+ stacks in super dense maps would be a "win-more" option. (assuming 30% dibs baseline)
- Static Charge at 40% weapon damage would have to be maintained on ~20+ targets along with FoF's DoT to topple Mangle. (Win-most!) ^_^v

Overall, I am curious to see what will happen this season with Raiment 6pc, and which generator ends up on top.... especially if someone can figure out how to #MakeStaticChargeGreatAgain! (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ

3-1-2017 Quick ref guide thread Maxed out, Thanks for visiting ^_^
<3
knock-up. lol. i see what you did there.
Good work!
awesome--thanks!
For WotHF:FoF, those numbers have got to be some sort of combined totals. It's not really relevant how you get to 1.5 on the first hit for LoH purposes, but the way Blizzard ties everything to proc rates, it's the kind of thing that may have some value in figuring out.

Anyway, great write up. Good stuff here.
02/26/2014 04:02 PMPosted by Demiwraith
For WotHF:FoF, those numbers have got to be some sort of combined totals. It's not really relevant how you get to 1.5 on the first hit for LoH purposes, but the way Blizzard ties everything to proc rates, it's the kind of thing that may have some value in figuring out.

Anyway, great write up. Good stuff here.

It's exactly 50/50 between the attack hit and the dot hit.

The attack can crit (yellow) and the DoT can't making it 50% as valuable when proccing cyclones.
Thank You to Davlok for the awesome write-up!
question

what does [AoE-90] 180/360 mean?
02/26/2014 10:36 PMPosted by Neuron
question

Referring to Crippling Wave I believe. The first hit is a 90 degree arc in front of you, the second is a 180, and the last is a full 360.
02/26/2014 10:36 PMPosted by Neuron
question

Ray covered it pretty well. DR is a straight line AoE and WotHF is similar to Thunderclap.

02/26/2014 06:10 PMPosted by PappaPia
Thank You to Davlok for the awesome write-up!

02/26/2014 04:14 PMPosted by Druin
The attack can crit (yellow) and the DoT can't making it 50% as valuable when proccing cyclones.

Yep, for Fists of Fury, the actual 3 second DoT does not have a proc coefficent as it 'ticks', but every 'hit'/'application of a stack' DOES have a On-Hit coefficent (but 0% crit coefficent - because we love new coefficents).

So specifically for WotFH-FoF:

Proc Coefficent for On-Hit Effects
- Life On-Hit
- Item On-Hit Affixes (like Odyn Son/Sledge Fist's Stun/The Furnace/Rimeheart)

2.01: WotHF-FoF for On-Hit effects -
[AoE] 1st Hit = (0.75)(X) + (0.75)(X)*
[AoE] 2nd Hit = (0.63)(X) + (0.63)(X)*
[AoE] 3rd Hit = (0.50)(X) + (0.50)(X)*

Proc Coefficent for On-Crit Effects
- SW: Cyclone: Cyclone generation crit requirement
- Item On-Crit Affixes (like Solarium)

2.01: WotHF-FoF for On-Crit effects
[AoE] 1st Hit = (0.75)(X)
[AoE] 2nd Hit = (0.63)(X)
[AoE] 3rd Hit = (0.50)(X)

Don't think any other skills for Monk fall into either category for FoF's proc coefficient. Life steal isn't affected by Proc Coefficents at all either.
So what is the best choice now?
Alright, so there are many questions on 'what the best generator' is now, and decided to excel up a quick ranking list for:

1. On-Hit-Proc Coefficent (LoH, Item On-Hit affixes)
2. On-Crit-Proc Coefficent (Cyclone Gen, Item On-Crit affixes)
3. Damage

and seperated them into single-target and 4+ targets.

The % is a how much each generator compares to the #1 generator.

1a - On-Hit-Proc Coefficent: Single Target

WotHF Fists of Fury 100%
    DR Base/KE/SfB/FS 75%
    DR PT 64%
    DR SB 63%
    FoT Base/LF/Q 62%
    WotHF Hands of Lightning 57%
    FoT Bounding Light 54%
    CW Base/M/C/RT/BW 52%
    WotHF Base/BF/SS/WF 50%
    CW T 48%
    FoT Thunderclap 39%
    FoT Static Charge 31%

1b - On-Hit-Proc Coefficent: 4+ targets

WotHF Fists of Fury 100%
    DR Base/KE/SfB/FS 75%
    DR PT 64%
    DR SB 63%
    WotHF Hands of Lightning 57%
    CW Base/M/C/RT/BW 52%
    WotHF Base/BF/SS/WF 50%
    CW T 48%
    FoT Thunderclap 30%
    FoT Base/LF/Q 28%
    FoT Bounding Light 26%
    FoT Static Charge 14%

2a - On-Crit-Proc Coefficent: Single Target

DR Base/KE/SfB/FS 100%
    DR PT 86%
    DR SB 84%
    FoT Base/LF/Q 83%
    WotHF Hands of Lightning 77%
    FoT Bounding Light 72%
    CW Base/M/C/RT/BW 69%
    WotHF Fists of Fury 67%
    WotHF Base/BF/SS/WF 67%
    CW T 64%
    FoT Thunderclap 52%
    FoT Static Charge 41%

2b - On-Crit-Proc Coefficent: 4+ targets

DR Base/KE/SfB/FS 100%
    DR PT 86%
    DR SB 84%
    WotHF Hands of Lightning 77%
    CW Base/M/C/RT/BW 69%
    WotHF Fists of Fury 67%
    WotHF Base/BF/SS/WF 67%
    CW T 64%
    FoT Thunderclap 41%
    FoT Base/LF/Q 37%
    FoT Bounding Light 35%
    FoT Static Charge 19%

3a - Damage: Single Target

WotHF Fists of Fury 100%
    WotHF Hands of Lightning 73%
    CW Mangle 57%
    WotHF Base/BF/SS/WF 52%
    CW Breaking Wave 41%
    DR Foresight 39%
    DR Scattered Blows 38%
    FoT Base/LF/SC/Q 38%
    FoT Thunderclap 38%
    FoT Bounding Light 38%
    CW Base/C/RT/T 37%
    DR Base/PT/KE/SfB 34%

3b - Damage: 4+ targets

WotHF Fists of Fury 100%
    WotHF Hands of Lightning 73%
    CW Mangle 57%
    WotHF Base/BF/SS/WF 52%
    CW Breaking Wave 41%
    DR Foresight 39%
    DR Scattered Blows 38%
    CW Base/C/RT/T 37%
    DR Base/PT/KE/SfB 34%
    FoT Thunderclap 29%
    FoT Bounding Light 23%
    FoT Base/LF/SC/Q 10%

NOTE: Static Charge's damage is not well understood yet due to it's proc mechanic not being fully understood: First swing at its damage analysis here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882328396?page=2#24

NOTE 2 : Blazing Fist's 15% ias affects monks differently depending on their gear, but is ~10% better damage/proc than the other runes it is grouped with.

NOTE 3 : FoF is applying its DoT on every punch in the 2nd strike making it the highest dps generator as well. (updated #3)

edit: Added some new info!
Dude ... really ... how can you make my day EVERY day ? That's an awesome work.

As you said, only the spirit gen part is missing now :D (but could be easily calculated using your first post and the AS rate for the base, runes are a bit more complicated).
So.....fist of fury is technically the best?

I still feel tsunami or another DR have a better "on hit" possibility than fist of fury. for bigger mobs, especially outside of a direct line.

Althought if its ON-HIT FoF would definitely be the #1 applier in technicality.
02/28/2014 02:27 AMPosted by Tinaby
Dude ... really ... how can you make my day EVERY day ? That's an awesome work.

As you said, only the spirit gen part is missing now :D (but could be easily calculated using your first post and the AS rate for the base, runes are a bit more complicated).

02/28/2014 02:44 AMPosted by Empiren
So.....fist of fury is technically the best?

I still feel tsunami or another DR have a better "on hit" possibility than fist of fury. for bigger mobs, especially outside of a direct line.

Althought if its ON-HIT FoF would definitely be the #1 applier in technicality.

Very true, the ranking is assuming your generators are actually hitting every mob, and Crippwave does have a much easier time doing that in combination with CS, and DR if you use doorways as choke points.

Oh that note, I DID find an error in my FoT damage calculations that puts them even FURTHER at the bottom of the barrel on multi-target. The 3rd hit of FoT is 183% wd DIVIDED by all the enemies hit - that makes it so bad, I don't even know what to say. If anyone has some quantitative Static Charge proc-chance data/numbers, let me know!
Good job!
Spirit Regen Rankings

Did a straight speed bonus x spirit gen ranking between each generator minus the spirit rune, then ranked the spirit runes based on # of mobs hit. Keep in mind certain generators will have an easier time with positioning to actually HIT the required numbers of mobs, so a 'how-hard-it-is-to-actually-get-mobs-in' front or in a line probably gives the edge to Crippling Wave, followed by Strike from Beyond. These numbers are assuming every mob is standing in perfect tight packs ready to be smashed!

General Generator Ranking for Spirit Generation Rate
FoT:TC/LF/SC/BL @ 100%
DR:PT/KE/SC/FS @ 98%
WotHF: HoL/BF/FoF/WF @ 86%
CW: M/C/T/BW @ 83%

Spirit Gen Runes
FoT: Quickening = 4 Spirit on Crit
DR: Strike from Beyond = 3 Spirit on Crit
WotHF: Spirited Salvo = 40% chance per attack animation to gen 6 spirit (2.4 avg)
CW: Rising Tide = 4 Spirit on Crit

Spirit Gen Runes - RANKINGS @ 40% Crit

Spirit Gen Runes - Single Target
FoT: Quickening 100%
DR: Strike from Beyond 97%
WotHF: Spirited Salvo 92%
CW: Rising Tide 85%
FoT (base) 90%
DR (base) 88%
WotHF (base) 75%
CW (base) 77%

Spirit Gen Runes - 4 Targets
DR: Strike from Beyond 100%
CW: Rising Tide 93%
FoT: Quickening 89%
WotHF: Spirited Salvo 75%
FoT (base) 73%
DR (base) 71%
WotHF (base) 61%
CW (base) 62%

Spirit Gen Runes - 10 Targets
DR: Strike from Beyond 100%
CW: Rising Tide 99%
FoT: Quickening 74%
WotHF: Spirited Salvo 52%
FoT (base) 51%
DR (base) 50%
WotHF (base) 42%
CW (base) 44%

Mini-Conclusion:

As expected the wide disparity between high-crit spirit regen runes we were used to in 1.08 is gone. Base generation is quite a bit higher and FoT surprising leads the way in baseline spirit gen due to having the highest spirit on-hit despite its lowered attack speed. When the number of targets starts to ramp up, Rising Tide & SfB take over, and if you feel the areas you farm have high enough density to justify picking a spirit gen rune, that is up to you! (Except Spirited Salvo.. that seems fairly useless on paper). Also keep in mind legendaries can change game mechanics significantly!

Addendum: Bonus Spirit Gen Rune generation vs Base

The above ranking probably doesn't mean too much, so decided to compare each generator's spirit gen rune spirit generation to the other runes of the same gen to show how much extra spirit you should expect to recieve @ 40% crit if you picked Quickening over Thunderclap, etc. (Keep in mind you actually have to hit the targets, and the increase is reduced if you have less % crit)

FoT:TC/LF/SC/BL = 100%
FoT:Q - Single Target = 111%
FoT:Q - 4 Targets = 123%
FoT:Q - 10 Targets = 146%

DR:PT/KE/SC/FS = 100%
DR:SfB - Single Target = 110%
DR:SfB - 4 Targets = 140%
DR:SfB - 10 Targets = 200%

CW: M/C/T/BW = 100%
CW: RT - Single Target = 113%
CW: RT - 4 Targets = 153%
CW: RT - 10 Targets = 233%

WotHF: HoL/BF/FoF/WF = 100%
WotHF: SS - Single Target = 120%*
WotHF: SS - 4 Targets = 120%*
WotHF: SS - 10 Targets = 120%*

* - Spirited Salvo doesn't take crit or targets hit into account. And all numbers are reduced with < 40% crit.
Spirit Regen Rankings

Davlok,

This is EXTREMELY useful info. Thanks for putting it together!

Would you mind doing the analysis at worn+paragon crit cap (75 cc) as well? I also think 20% and 60% cc would be useful to compare.

Thanks ahead of time if you want to do it!!!
Great stuff.

One minor thing to note: If you're using Blazing Fists, you're going to be attacking significantly faster most of the time. It actually ranks higher for Spirt gen, procs, and crts on your chart in practice.

Also, it goes without saying that some skills are significantly easier to hit 4 targets or 10 targets with. Hitting 10 enemies consistently with FoT is.... tricky.

All this goes to show, though, that Blizz did a pretty good job with Spirit generators. None of them really stand out as absolute "must haves". Add in all the diferent elemental types, and I don't think you're going to see a wider range of runes being used for some time.