[2.1 Mechanics] Spirit Generators: Quick Ref.

Monk
Prev 1 12 13 14 26 Next
Could probably squeeze in an Andys as well Davlok, leaving the rainment on the boots and shoulder.
I'll chime in with the updated attack speed and proc coefficient data, since the numbers I have (which come directly from the game data) don't quite match the OP.

First, on how the effective attack speeds are calculated. Every animation has a certain frame length and base speed (which is the number of animation frames per one game frame at 1 APS). I will simply list the animation length as [frame length/base speed], since there is no reason to separate the two. Note that it is not always a whole number.

Every skill also has an attack speed formula associated with it. For most skills it is simply equal to the speed of the current weapon, but not always - it could have an extra multiplier, can be affected by passives/set bonuses, and some skills don't scale off attack speed at all (i.e. Wizard's Teleport).

The effective number of frames is simply the animation length divided by attack speed, rounded up.

For example, FoT's first hit has animation length of 57, and speed of IAS*1.55 (without Alacrity or Storms 2pc). So at, say, 1.4 APS, the effective number of frames is ceil(57/1.4/1.55)=ceil(26.27)=27 frames.

The attack speed formulas and proc coefficients can be found in my Powers database, i.e. http://ptr.d3planner.com/powers/Monk_FistsofThunder

Here's the list for Monk generators. I will simply list the attack speed multipliers, as the all scale off IAS. Don't forget to multiply the resulting speed by 1.15 if you use Alacrity, and by another 1.25 for Storms 2pc.

Fists of Thunder

First hit: 57 frames, 1.55 speed
Second hit: 57.391289 frames, 1.55 speed
Third hit: 58.064510 frames, 1.00 speed

Proc coefficients
No Rune: 0.855 0.855 0.616
Thunderclap: 0.427 0.427 0.616
Wind Blast: 0.855 0.855 0.616
Static Charge: 0.427 0.427 0.308
Quickening: 0.855 0.855 0.616
Bounding Light: 0.855 0.855 0.308

Deadly Reach

First hit: 55.384609 frames, 1.50 speed
Second hit: 57.391300 frames, 1.50 speed
Third hit: 58.064510 frames, 1.00 speed

* Scattered Blows third hit has animation length of 57.857132 frames

Proc coefficients
Piercing Trident: 0.85 0.75 0.50
Scattered Blows: 0.85 0.85 0.35
Other runes: 0.85 0.85 0.75

Crippling Wave

First hit: 56.842102 frames, 1.45 speed
Second hit: 56.842102 frames, 1.45 speed
Third hit: 58 frames, 1.00 speed

Proc coefficients
Tsunami: 0.75 0.75 0.35
Other runes: 0.75 0.75 0.50

Way of the Hundred Fists

First hit: 57 frames, 1.275 speed
Second hit: 42 frames, 1.175 speed
Third hit: 58 frames, 1.000 speed

Proc coefficients
All runes: 0.75 0.09 0.50
Wow, interesting stuff Riv. I never got around to doing detail frame analysis or seek out the power files, but thanks for posting the info. When I get the time I'll redo the calcs and see if they affect the rankings much. Out of curiosity, how many frames is a basic attack for each class? Definitely doesn't seem to be 60 frames @ 1 aps.

Any idea why some generator attacks have such varying exactness in frames? Like FoT's first hit is exactly 57 while the 2nd is 57.391289? Seems kind of arbitrary, or was that just the way to game files extracted out?

Edit: Also, can you take a look a Druin's breakpoint work here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14609371554

It seems like the frame data he was using could be out-of-date now compared to what you have pulled from the game data. He had a 37/38/58 frame breakdown for FoT and 45/36/58 for WotHF which is a different frame distribution. I was under the assumption the generators hadn't been really modified since 2.1.
Sorry for the lane question, but could someone explain what a proc coefficient is?
08/20/2015 10:00 AMPosted by Blake
Sorry for the lane question, but could someone explain what a proc coefficient is?

It is a game mechanic that affects (or used to affect) the occurrence or certain procs. Google defines procs as "Proc is a common term used primarily in game programming to refer to an event - a "process" - triggered under particular circumstances."

For example, the Legendary Gem Mirinae has a 15% chance on hit to "proc". And that chance is affected by proc coefficients. So if you are using an attack that has a 1.0 proc coefficient, then each attack you make with that skill will have 15% x 1.0 = 15% chance to occur. Life-on-Hit USED TO be affected by proc coefficients, but now should really be call Life-on-Attack. So really proc coefficients are not really used for much other than the odd gem like Mirinae/Gogok, or things like Sledgefist with a 50% chance on hit to stun would be affected by the skill's Proc Coefficient.

Word on the street is 3.0 will remove them from the game.... but we'll see.
@Davlok, most animations used to be 60 game frames long, although the actual animation files usually had fewer frames and were scaled to 60. Then at some point they started skipping the last frame (to make smoother transitions maybe?), while keeping the same speed factor. The factor is actually included in the animation files, but generally the final formula is roughly 60*(n-1)/n, where n is the number of frames in the animation file.

So an animation with 20 frames would come out at 57 game frames, and a 23 frame one would become 57.3913.
08/20/2015 02:54 PMPosted by Davlok
if you are using an attack that has a 1.0 proc coefficient, then each attack you make with that skill will have 15% x 1.0 = 15% chance to occur.

Thanks for the explanation! I was not aware of the extra coefficient "layer" in the procs.
Seems like some crafty monks on chinese server have completed a GR71 using a FoT:Static Charge + Wothf:Fists of Fury combo build. I can't read/translate chinese too well, but it seems like they are using the fact FoF's DoT will proc SC 5x/sec on all enemies affected by SC+FoF'sDoT which would work great with enough density.

For the chinese readers:
http://bbs.d.163.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=173229488&extra=page%3D1
http://bbs.d.163.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=173229287&extra=page%3D1

Here is my old old old analysis from 3/14:

03/01/2014 05:27 AMPosted by Davlok
Ok. so here is some Static Charge DPS comparisons. Since I don't know the exact mechanics, decided to make some up and vary the 'chance' to proc from 10% to 100% and compare it to the top DPS generator - HoL. The main issue is what the game considers a "Hit". If you recall from PTR many things used to be considered 'Hits' like DoTs that made FoT:SC get the PTR-nerf hammer. For this calculation, it is assumed only actual generator hits will proc SC's charge mechanic.

Assumptions:
Every target is stacked perfectly in front of the Monk.
Every target is hit by both HoL/SC for the entire 3-hit-combo.
Only FoT:SC punches can proc SC's charge
SC Procs can't hit the monster it procs from (just every other monster (X-1)
Due to comparing FoT vs WotHF, innate ias is ignored.

Base Data:
WotHF:HoL in a 3-hit combo does: (192%+429%+192%)x(X mobs) = 813X% weapon damage
[ @ 1 Target HoL = 813% WD ] [ @ 10 Targets HoL = 8130% WD ]

Base FoT:SC in a 3-hit combo does: (122%+122%+183%) = 427% weapon damage regardless of # of mobs
[ @ 1 Target SC = 427% WD ] [ @ 10 Targets SC = 427% WD + SC charge damage ]

SC Charge Damage
Y = Proc Chance
X = number of targets
X-1 = number of targets hit on SC proc

Example: 5 Targets @ 100% SC proc chance
3 hit SC combo = 122% + 122% + 183% = 427% WD
Punch 1 = (Y)(X-1)*125% = (100%)(5-1)*125% = 500% WD
Punch 2 = (Y)(X-1)*125% = (100%)(5-1)*125% = 500% WD
Punch 3 = (Y)(X-1)*125%*(X) = (100%)(5-1)*125%*(5) = 2500% WD
Total SC 3-hit combo WD = 427%+500%+500%+2500% = 3927% WD
vs.
Total HoL 3-hit combo WD = 813% * 5 = 4065% weapon damage done total

So at 100% proc chance, 5 targets HoL is still slightly ahead of SC.

SC vs HoL Results = http://i.imgur.com/dEErqHj.png

@ 100% SC proc chance you need at least 6 mobs for SC to be better than HoL
@ 50% SC proc chance you need at least 12 mobs for SC to be better than HoL
@ 25% SC proc chance you need at least 25 mobs for SC to be better than HoL
@ 10% SC proc chance you need at least 64 mobs for SC to be better than HoL
@ FoT:SC standard Proc Coefficient of .42/.42/.31 you need at least 19 mobs for SC to be better than HoL

Keep in mind the results are for averaged damage over a long time. And... bonus excel, decided to test the new Thunderfury, and it is as everyone knows an AWESOME [ http://i.imgur.com/X9piqzn.jpg ] weapon with a very high proc chance which I estimated to be around 30ppm (procs per minute) so if we assume Thunderfury procs once every 3-hit combo, here are the results!

SC vs HoL Results w/ TF = http://i.imgur.com/5LiiHhb.png

@ 100% SC proc chance you need at least 4 mobs for SC to be better than HoL (using TF)
@ 50% SC proc chance you need at least 8 mobs for SC to be better than HoL (using TF)
@ 25% SC proc chance you need at least 21 mobs for SC to be better than HoL (using TF)
@ 10% SC proc chance you need at least 62 mobs for SC to be better than HoL (using TF)
@ FoT:SC standard Proc Coefficent of .42/.42/.31 you need at least 13 mobs for SC to be better than HoL using a TF @ ~30ppm.

Intial 2.3 testing has shown the DoT seems to proc at the damage skill's proc coefficent, so FoF's DoT having a 0.75 proc coefficent means the DoT is proccing 75% of the time, which would scale amazingly. So if you were in combat with 10 mobs affected, you'd be getting on average ~38 procs per second @ 180% which isn't too shabby considering mangle is 'only' 255% and much less than 38 times a second.

Edit: Quick testing screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/FB42anW.png

Left skeleton has FoF's DoT, Both skeletons have SC debuff. Ticks occured every 12 frames and seemed to proc at FoF's coefficient ~0.75

Don't really have the time to do the math currently (on a business trip all week) so something for all the raiment theorycrafters out there to think about! ^_^
Dav, been trying this build variant last night. I don't' have all gears but still works.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dXter-1964/hero/65652276

FoF procs Static charged debuffed mobs consistently and frequently. When FD procs, FoT itself will proc static charge frequently too. Managed a GR50 no sweat while totally using unoptimised setup like not maxing spirit pool, exalted soul etc.

The AOE is also pretty huge at 40yrds. I could be hitting a single mob and other debuffed mobs 40yrds away were getting hit.

When the mobs are gathered by Kormac, they die off incredibly fast from the static charged procs.

Next the kicker. Static charge debuff can be proc by other players. The monk will see the damage but not the other players.

Static charge is buffed by primary skill damage, simplicity, shenlong 1st and 2nd bonus, so the damage is high.
^^^VERY interesting... might bring me back to Monk.

With that said, am I blind or is the above and the 1st Chinese link using Focus/Restraint but no spirit spender attack?

EDIT: And if no Breathe of Heaven spirit generation, I'm so using the Monk ring (in cube) in my group runs with this build :).
It's worth noting that WotHF:FoF also procs Miranae like crazy due to its DoT. Granted, Miranae's damage isn't that good, but it's pretty decent for single target damage. With some AD, it could be a decent choice for 60+ grifts as well.
09/28/2015 09:59 PMPosted by Hotz
^^^VERY interesting... might bring me back to Monk.

With that said, am I blind or is the above and the 1st Chinese link using Focus/Restraint but no spirit spender attack?

EDIT: And if no Breathe of Heaven spirit generation, I'm so using the Monk ring (in cube) in my group runs with this build :).

The spirit spender portion of FnR is proc using R4 dashing strike. Using R4 relieves one of using a spender skill on the bar.
09/28/2015 08:17 PMPosted by dXter
Dav, been trying this build variant last night. I don't' have all gears but still works.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dXter-1964/hero/65652276

FoF procs Static charged debuffed mobs consistently and frequently. When FD procs, FoT itself will proc static charge frequently too. Managed a GR50 no sweat while totally using unoptimised setup like not maxing spirit pool, exalted soul etc.

Yep, only issue with FoT is the first two hits are single target only, so trying to time the third AoE hit to tag a bunch of mobs is required in high density. I was able to spawn a RG in GR66 with half the timer remaining and then scratched the RG for the next 5 minuts (no Stricken)

09/28/2015 10:30 PMPosted by dXter
The spirit spender portion of FnR is proc using R4 dashing strike. Using R4 relieves one of using a spender skill on the bar.

Using R4 to proc F/R works great. I just went with Cyclone Strike + Inna4 to force density when I was messing around. I'm sure a "best" combo will come out soon.

Sample Gameplay Video of Static Charge + Fists of Fury:

https://youtu.be/TnvYNXXnZiY
This new build requires %stun on gloves and %freeze on belt synergy with high attack speed to hold the mobs. I have tried it have it is hard without (1) density, (2) high level of toughness. As it stand, I couldn't take it further as my gears are lacking in toughness rolls. Could not punch when kept getting hit. Need to be really deft in movement to dodge attacks.

FoT is good at keeping spririt buff up.

Tip is to hit mobs is to go in with FoF (proc FD, stun, freeze, etc) first then FOT to debuff.
With Static Charge being in the spotlight, did some tests to confirm/deny if certain monk skills actually proc SC or not. Tests done using my trusty Staff of Herding with legacy Hellfire Ring with +min damage to have a flat damage value every hit.

Preliminary Results: Monk Skills
SC Proc seems to use the attacking skill's coefficent to determine if SC procs.

- Does proc off all Generator hits *
- Does proc off FoF's DoT which tics every 12 frames (5x/sec) **
- Does proc off all LTK runes
- Does proc off all CS runes
- Does proc off all TR runes (each tic)
- Does proc off all BoH:Circle of Skorn
- Does proc off all DS Runes
- Does proc off all WoL Runes ***
- Does proc off all SSS runes
- Does proc off all Unwelcome Disturbance bursts
- Does proc off Mystic Ally attacks (including Air Ally AoE)

- Does NOT proc off EP's DoT ticks (U2 or manually applied)
- Does NOT proc off Sweeping Wind
- Does NOT proc off MoC:Submission

* - Keep in mind FoT's first two strikes only hit -ONE- target. (1xSC debuff), only the 3rd is AoE
** - FoF DoT's from multiple Monks -STACK- ( http://i.imgur.com/smHUSj5.png )
*** - PotA ticks 6 times, EL ticks once, the remaining runes 3 times.

Preliminary Results: Items
- Does proc off attacks from pets summoned from items Skycutter, Maximus, etc. (But not special pet attacks like Maximus chain)
- Does NOT proc off item procs as far as I can tell. None of the following proc SC:
  • Andarial V., DW.Mantle, Death's Bargain, Firewalkers, Pox, Sash of Knives, TGV,
  • Bul Kathos Wedding Band, Hellfire Ring, Wyrd Stun (no), Moonlight Ward
  • Azurewrath, Fulminator, Schaefer's, SoH, Stalguard, Sunder, Wizardspike, TF, Hack (or thorns in general)
  • Preliminary Results: Gems
    - Does NOT proc off Legendary Gem DoTs (Toxin, PE, Mirinae, Wreath)

Most of the above tests were done fairly quickly and if they do proc, are at very low proc coefficents that they probably aren't worth using.

Static Charge Snapshot Mechanics:
    - Only 1x SC debuff can be active at a time, 2 monks using SC will overwrite each other's debuff and they will not chain to one another's
    - SC always overwrites existing SC debuffs - even your own
    - SC snapshots the usual suspects

What does that mean?
    You can snapshot Powerpylon for an extra -SIX- seconds! ^_^

FoF DoT Snapshot Mechanics
    - FoF DoT's proc coefficient is snapshot at "fresh" application
    - Additional FoF strikes always refreshes DoT's initial proc coefficient
    - Additional FoF strikes increase the DoT stacks by 1 up to a maximum.
    - Maximum FoF stacks you can have is equal to (sheetAPS)*(9) on "fresh" application. Your sheetAPS can be snapshot. (the damage cannot, it is always dynamic)
    - Multiple Monks FoF's stack concurrently (do not overwrite)

What does that mean?
    All FoF DoT's are not created equal (semi-obvious)
    - FoF's First punch DoT has a 0.75 SC proc chance (procs SC well)
    - FoF's Second punch DoT has a 0.09 SC proc chance (procs SC terrible)
    - FoF's Third punch DoT has a 0.5 SC proc chance (procs SC ok)
    - You can snapshot a max FoF stack for RGs to maximize your single target damage. See: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11882328396?page=17#321

But since the duration of FoF is so short, and you are likely madly dashing all over the screen trying to spread SC/FoF, it really isn't going to matter since any DoT procs are better than none! But if you can somehow program your monk to always do a FoF1 > ___ > SC3 combo, you will have the highest proc chance and best SC coverage! How? I have no clue ^_^; I am stuck mashing all my keys like a madman.

Group Play
    Appears to be -NO- ICD for SC. Haven't tested all party member attacks, but they should follow similar rules above with the general rule that their attacks need a direct proc coefficient.
    just a heads-up, seems they have some lag issue in group play and solo on high grift lvl when there is good density

09/30/2015 03:58 AMPosted by Davlok
    Let me know if anyone has discovered any group dynamics worth mentioning.

on the Chinese forum, somebody mentioned let the healing monk use skills to proc Static Charge. could somebody test if this is a good combo for group play?
    Did frame-by-frame analysis of area damage in-game for generators. TL;DR it sucks.

Works:
  • Dexterity
  • Bane of the Trapped
  • All % skill damage, including SS and DD
  • Mantra of Conviction
  • % Elemental Damage
  • Doesn't Work:
  • Bane of the Stricken
  • F&R
  • Raiment 2pc
  • Shenlong's 2pc
  • Not much use testing other modifiers when shenlongs, f&r, and r2 don't function.
    Does Static Charge proc off of Andys or Vigor?
    - Does proc off all LTK runes
    (...)
    - Does proc off all DS Runes

How does it work with the runes on those skills that apply dots? Guess it doesn´t since EP doesn´t proc it too?

Also, bleed damage can finally be useful? Or any item procs? I´m thinking nah but maybe? You think an Asheara build with some dot weapons and skills could do something to this?

After some thought I think I know the answers, considering the skills it doesn´t proc, including mystic ally, I would assume it uses the regular proc chance as life on hit, and FoF remains a mistery
    This post here shows Mystic Ally 'proc'ing static charge though.

http://bbs.d.163.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=173229804&pid=193476014

Think I should go test it meself.