Area Damage, I'm confused help

General Discussion
Can someone explain what this is? Under detail stats for your character, right below "critical dmg" it says "area dmg", if I hover my mouse cursor over this it says "All attacks have a 20% chance to also deal x% of the damage to enemies within 10 yards" . Now i can increase the "x%" by weapons or paragon points, but what does it do exactly, it says ALL attack. So if I cast blizzard there's another 20% chance it'll do x% more dmg with an additional 10 yard radius?
I would actually like some clarification on this too. Does it work for AoE spells like Blizzard, or for all spells? With that in mind, is it possible to do damage to monsters slightly outside of blizzard's AoE?
I think it refers to damaged cause by splash/AoE skills and spells only.

I don't think it turns your single-target attacks into AoE or splash-damage attacks.

But, as always, wait for BLUE verification.
Based on the wording "All" and "Also", one would be inclined to think that yes, AOE spells get this bonus as well, but knowing Blizz they will probably say that's too much dps for AOE spells and change the wording.
Area damage appears to work as follows:

Any attacks that already do AoE seem to ignore this ability, however single target skills that normally do not do AoE have a 20% chance to deal x% damage. You can see this effect by turning on damage numbers and using a single target skill. When it triggers you will see other enemies around it get damaged even though your attack is single target
Area dmg works on ALL attacks. This includes single target and AOE moves. Say you cast frozen orb, *Each Spike* has a chance to proc area dmg as well as the initial orb. Chain lighting, EACH jump.

It's a great skill. You should invest, especially if ur AoE spec'd.
02/26/2014 11:45 AMPosted by jackpot548
Area damage appears to work as follows:

Any attacks that already do AoE seem to ignore this ability, however single target skills that normally do not do AoE have a 20% chance to deal x% damage. You can see this effect by turning on damage numbers and using a single target skill. When it triggers you will see other enemies around it get damaged even though your attack is single target

Hmm ok, but we need to clarify what exactly is considered an AoE or single target ability, because some is both. Because say BASH is a single target, but then the runes Pulverize turns it into a AoE somewhat.
It seems there is some question. I'm sure someone will theorycraft it out eventually, or maybe a blue will clarify.
I'm confused about it too. I'd like the tool tip to give a bit more info.
Page did some good testing with it on the PTR.
I also has great results when I stacked it with frost arrow.
With the new cold skill dmg modifiers, and cull of the week
I could really lay down some damage.

Frost arrow is a great skill for area damage as it splits so many times.

PTR thread here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11642694208
02/26/2014 12:06 PMPosted by BraveSirRobn

PTR thread here:

Where? i think you forgot to post the link
02/26/2014 12:13 PMPosted by Achilles
02/26/2014 12:06 PMPosted by BraveSirRobn

PTR thread here:

Where? i think you forgot to post the link

Fixed it, browser locked up on me mid copy and paste.
02/26/2014 12:15 PMPosted by BraveSirRobn
Fixed it, browser locked up on me mid copy and paste.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's awesome. Makes me want to round up just a huge crowd of monsters and unleash.
Found in the details pane, you can read the description of area damage. It reads: All attacks have a 20% chance to also deal X% of the damage dealt to enemies within a 10 yard radius.
What I was noticing last night was all skills have the area damage bonus. I was seeing multiple damage lines roll off of mobs I wasn't hitting with the single target attacks, and also noticed extra damage rolling off with aoe skills as well.
02/26/2014 11:37 AMPosted by Achilles
So if I cast blizzard there's another 20% chance it'll do x% more dmg with an additional 10 yard radius?

Yes, that is exactly how it works.
02/26/2014 12:20 PMPosted by Aspie
Found in the details pane, you can read the description of area damage. It reads: All attacks have a 20% chance to also deal X% of the damage dealt to enemies within a 10 yard radius.

No kidding
02/26/2014 12:25 PMPosted by Achilles
02/26/2014 12:20 PMPosted by Aspie

No kidding

Oh, I see in your OP that you already read the description. You should have just tested the stuff then if you already knew what it did.
02/26/2014 11:37 AMPosted by Achilles
So if I cast blizzard there's another 20% chance it'll do x% more dmg with an additional 10 yard radius?

This is correct! Each time a skill damages a target, regardless of whether the skill is AOE or single-target, there is a 20% chance for Area Damage to occur.
02/26/2014 12:28 PMPosted by Aspie
Oh, I see in your OP that you already read the description. You should have just tested the stuff then if you already knew what it did.

LOL. Try re-reading what the OP actually asks, which is a very valid and pertinent question that many of us would like a blue answer to. (Notwithstanding Droth's green answer, hehe).