Does the Legendary Drop Timer reset between games?

General Discussion
I am under the impression there is a timer that accumulates in some way while we are fighting and killing monsters. My question is this: Does logging out or exiting the game reset the timer?

If I am playing, and I have not seen a legendary in 2 hours, will the timed droprate system "pick up where it left off?"

Currently, my play experience revolves around playing until I receive a legendary; If I have to leave for some reason, I would try to wait until I find one. I have pretty much been getting one every 2 hours or so...but if I were to learn that the timer saves its progress between games, I would have much shorter and more frequent play sessions.

If anyone has any insight or perhaps an educated guess on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.
As far as I know the timer should carry over between game sessions.

Here is the quote from Travis for returning players that may not know a timer was added:

We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer. This is meant to be a safety net so that the random can never be too extreme to the negative end. If players are legitimately going 18+ hours and not seeing a legendary it’s possible that there are some bugs floating around that need to be identified.

I realize they probably won't provide too much detail - make it too easy to potentially exploit - but I am curious.
02/27/2014 09:40 AMPosted by Moshra
Interesting. I wonder if that counts for chest as well. Also, does it count number of creatures or is it an actual time? if so what starts/stops the timer?

I realize they probably won't provide too much detail - make it too easy to potentially exploit - but I am curious.

I also am wondering these things as well. Finding legendaries is my favorite way to play this game; it absolutely keeps me going. It would love to learn more about this system.
The failsafe system is not based on just time according to Travis. You have to actually be playing the game, not just standing in town in game or spinning in circles. The reply was in response to someone who said they went 18 hours without a Leg...and he called them on it.

The devs currently want the average drop rate to be around 1 per 2 hours. That means anything between 0 and 4 hours would be normal. Just killing things normally should yield a drop for you within that window based on the standard drop rates. Sometime past the "normal" range that failsafe will start kicking in and slowly upping the chance of a drop. It should only affect 1-2% who are hated by the gods of RNG.