Legendary farm tip for patch 2.0.2.

General Discussion
With the latest patch, Diablo will be giving you a guaranteed piece of loot each time (Edit: No longer true, see below.) you reset your quests. Knowing this, you can take advantage of the legendary timer to give yourself back-to-back legendaries.

Get all the way up to Diablo, but don't kill him. Start running earlier portions of the game until the legendary timer procs, and something drops. Then, leave game, and kill Diablo for your guaranteed legendary for 2 drops on top of each other.

It doesn't make sense to kill Diablo as soon as you get to him. If the legendary timer is halfway through to providing you with a legendary, killing Diablo will reset it back to zero. You will, in essence, be 'wasting' that timer proc cycle.

So, in a nutshell, only kill Diablo right after you've gotten a legendary from elsewhere.

Happy farming!'

Edit: Some believe the timer doesn't kick in for at least 4-6 hours. If this is true, then when you kill SK/Diablo for the guaranteed legendary doesn't matter. I thought the timer was much quicker. Apologies for misleading anyone. I've left my OP up so the context of the thread continues to make sense.

Also, when I started this post, there was a blue post indicating the Diablo change was implemented. Since then, another blue post has clarified that the Diablo change will be coming in a later patch.
There's no timer man, it's all RNG. Where did you come up with this BS?
03/04/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Epic

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293

We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer.

No BS. Taken directly from the Beta forums. This timer is an integrated part of loot 2.0.
Yeah I'm curious too about people saying there's a "legendary timer"... I've heard nor seen such a thing. Like Epic said, all RNG.
03/04/2014 11:13 AMPosted by Zannis
expansion

This is 2.0.1. Not the expansion. Gotta wait until 3/25 for that.
It's still on SK and not Diablo.
SKELETON KING still gives the legendary, not DIABLO. Next patch.
If you guys believe the timer is expansion only, more power to you. It was included with loot 2.0.

It's why we get legendaries every 60-90 minutes.
03/04/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Epic

We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer.

No BS. Taken directly from the Beta forums. This timer is an integrated part of loot 2.0.

This is only when you haven't found a legendary for a long amount of time.. there is no timer, i have found legionaries one after another
So when I got a leg from a chest then one from a elite right after. Does that mean the timer doesn't work for me or there is NO timer in live play? Hmmm I wonder which one it is?
In before Nerf Stick...

haha..

But yeah, doesn't seem like a bad idea..however, won't it be faster to just kill diablo, reset, kill diablo? not sure..
Has this been tested or just theory?
03/04/2014 11:17 AMPosted by Shyne

This is only when you haven't found a legendary for a long amount of time.. there is no timer, i have found legionaries one after another

That is precisely his point. Make sure you have found a non-guaranteed Legendary drop before getting the guaranteed drop from Diablo--otherwise, the guaranteed drop will substitute for a non-guaranteed drop.

I understand the OP, but this is a lot of work for two legendaries. Speed farming normal and opening lots of chests will net ~2 / hour.
Its not really a "timer", its a increasing probability count. Works like a timer in some ways, but a legendary can drop at any point during it and reset it, so it has no fixed drop time unless you are a very unlucky person.
The last i read about this "legendary timer" is drop rates are tuned to drop every 60-90 mins on average this is based on the %'s they give to the drops (this is just the way the game is tuned). it is not guaranteed, you can go longer without a drop or shorter with a drop. If some how you dont get a drop by x amount of time(time has not been stated), a drop rate timer kicks in and starts counting. The higher the timer goes the more of a chance you have to get a drop.

That is all.
I understand it isn't a 'set' timer, but the most efficient time to kill Skeleton King/Diablo for your guaranteed legendary is right after the safety net has procced.

Call it whatever you want. Travis Day referred to it as a timer, so I'm referring to it as a timer. It's all semantics.

You guys can do what you like, thought I'd share what seems to be a good farming tip. Do with it what you will.
Can we get mathematical statistics for loot drop rates on a item/rarity level?
ok so let me get this right
now its on a timer to find a leg/set item?
why i thought it was random? ..i know m/f has been killed but now it seems i am "clocking"into game
to be able to do enough hours to get "paid" this sucks
i want to play the game not work this is what i do when i am not working
pre patch i was finding maybe 1-3 doing fest woods/misery run
now i can just start game and go and sit down?
sorry if i have this all wrong but it was easier when you had m/f and knew you had a chance rather than a timer..maybe they should add a "ding" sound once enough hours played :)
03/04/2014 11:25 AMPosted by NickSaban
Can we get mathematical statistics for loot drop rates on a item/rarity level?

What's the formula for pie?