SUGGESTION: Server 2.0

General Discussion
Server 2.0 Wishlist

- You now always have 10 minutes before getting kicked from the game when patch/maintenance occurs to prevent/lessen HC characters getting killed due to it
- Every patch now only needs a game restart and downloading the patch
- Maintenance on patching is now removed
- Maintenance now only happens every 6 months
+1
I'd buy that expansion in a heart beat.
It would be nice to know why they went with this type of maintenance scheme. Plenty of other games/mmos have super short resets that take less than 10 minutes, it's a shame they didn't plan for this with bnet.
Server 2.0 Wishlist

- Maintenance now only happens every 6 months

This will require weekly downtime on Tuesdays.
So pretty much what Guild Wars 2 does.

We can dream.
03/04/2014 12:01 PMPosted by Tsplodey
So pretty much what Guild Wars 2 does.

We can dream.

Amen to that. +1
+1 from me too!
Step 1: Call GGG.
Step 2: Say, "We want your deployment framework. Name your price."
Step 3: ...???
Step 4: Sit back and enjoy how happy you have made all of us.
Is it wrong of me to grin a bit at all the HC people who probably lost their minds a few hours ago?
I agree that the amount of downtime during the weekly maintenance is getting obnoxious. Anybody know why Blizzard needs 8 - 12 hours every week when other companies can implement substantial patches with only minutes of downtime?
03/04/2014 12:27 PMPosted by AToN
Is it wrong of me to grin a bit at all the HC people who probably lost their minds a few hours ago?

Not all of us just lost our minds unfortunately; definitely some characters too.
It'll be interesting to see if anyone lost a HC character or something. I understand maintenance has to happen, but just to kick us off like that with no notice, that was BS.
03/04/2014 12:25 PMPosted by Archangel
Step 1: Call GGG.
Step 2: Say, "We want your deployment framework. Name your price."
Step 3: ...???
Step 4: Sit back and enjoy how happy you have made all of us.

So that game has what, 40k people playing at a time? I haven't played for a while so maybe it's different but I would be surprised. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest GGG might have a couple hundred servers deployed.

DIII has, from the last time it was mentioned by an insider, 3 million unique players per month? Plus, they have sold over 12 million copies of DIII...

So, DIII has a world wide network that Blizzard rents from ATT, Telios, etc. where they place equipment that requires periodic adjustments or even replacement. A server infrastructure that runs into the tens of thousands of machines across all of their universes, and all of their games no doubt share some portion of that infrastructure.

So, they have a great deal of work to do when they maintain the equipment and software. I am not sure most people really understand just how large and complex the Blizzard data centers and network infrastructure are.

I once saw a job posting they had a for Unix networking / software engineer who was familiar and comfortable in a server environment that exceeded ten thousand machines, and that was over two and a half years ago...