Clarification on Legendary "Safety Net"

General Discussion
Does anyone know if leaving the game resets the "safety net"? What about obtaining a legendary crafting material? What about obtaining a key from a key warden?
i think anything resets it
-designs
-keys
-leaving
-etc
Only actual equpment (armor, weapons, jewelery) resets the timer. Legendary/Set crafting plans, crafting materials, and keys do not count as items that reset the timer.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
03/08/2014 01:01 PMPosted by TheTias
Only actual equpment (armor, weapons, jewelery) resets the timer. Legendary/Set crafting plans, crafting materials, and keys do not count as items that reset the timer.
Caution: This cookie bites back.

do you have the bluepost for it?
i am kinda curious cause every time a plan drops for me, for the next 2 hours i will see nothing
No, it does not re-set between games. It is like the pool of reflection thing.

There are two systems - RNG system based off whatever the programmed drop rate is. The devs have it set so that on average, the peak of the bell curve is around 2 hours per leg. Some may go much longer and others shorter. RNG is RNG. What should not happen though is going 10 hours without. There is a second system that tracks drops and can step in to modify the base drop rate when needed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293
The fact that some people claim to go for 10+ hours without finding a legendary is not only not our intent, but should in fact be impossible. We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer. This is meant to be a safety net so that the random can never be too extreme to the negative end. If players are legitimately going 18+ hours and not seeing a legendary it's possible that there are some bugs floating around that need to be identified.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=23#451
Travis Day: First the clarification, the timer system that works behind the scenes is meant to be exactly that, behind the scenes. No you can't afk the system, there are a lot of moving pieces to it and we talked about it extensively before we implemented it to guarantee its not exploitable. At it's heart Diablo is a game about slaughtering demons and getting random cool rewards. The system that is in place should never be experienced by 99% of the population, it's there for the 1% who just get really bad random rolls for an excessively long period of time. If we want you to get a legendary every 2 hours, the system basically says "ok it's been like double/triple that period of time, just help the guy out!"

Unlucky Person affected by Failsafe
0h--------RNG--------2h--------RNG--------4h--------5h--------6h-------------DROP
Failsafe Timer--------------------------------------------+ Leg Chance---------Timer resets

Normal RNG Drops
0h--------RNG--------2h--------DROP
Failsafe Timer------------------Timer resets – Failsafe system never kicks in
Since the patch, I have put in over 60 hours gameplay. Mostly farming routes with my main doing Keep Depths 2, but also full playthroughs for the garanteed SK drop (bug), killing elites, whites, dead bodies, chests (Torment 3-4) - I'm looking for loot everywhere.

Yes RNG is RNG... but

In this 60+ hours of game play, I have not yet received a legendary drop from a white mob. I'm still killing them, crossing my fingers that I may get one.

In the past 30 hours I have recorded my legendary drops ~70% are from normal chests. This is not an intriguing style of game play.

As far as time is concerned, I seem to find a legendary about every 45min-1hour, however it has seemed to be reset of time when legendary plans drop (although confirmed that it does not effect this timer...).

It now seems that this internal timer has replaced Magic Find, and is our sole source for legendary drops - please fix.