1st time legend boss kills?

General Discussion
read the latest patch notes.. they moved it from SK to Diablo, its not a lie...
If it is a sure drop off diablo, then why did I only get rares off him last night? Played through the whole game expecting one at the end, but, nothing.
03/12/2014 07:01 PMPosted by Nevalistis
03/12/2014 06:48 PMPosted by pharaoh
I just defeated the SK in HC for the first time and did not get a legend. has this been changed or bugged?

This has, indeed, been changed, but it also depends on what level you are.

Players who are 1-59 will find that the first time they kill an end Act boss (Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, or Diablo), they will receive a Legendary. Players who are level 60 will receive a Legendary upon defeating Diablo. If you have already defeated Diablo and are not receiving a Legendary, using the "Reset Quests" option will allow you receive this bonus again! However, be aware that you are required to complete every main story quest in the campaign in order to use this option. This also works for resetting the first-time kills from 1-59.

Hope that clears things up!

It does and it does not.

What about levels 60 - 70? How is this range impacted by the reset quests option?
03/12/2014 06:48 PMPosted by pharaoh
I just defeated the SK in HC for the first time and did not get a legend. has this been changed or bugged?

Players who are 1-59 will find that the first time they kill an end Act boss (Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, or Diablo), they will receive a Legendary. Players who are level 60 will receive a Legendary upon defeating Diablo. If you have already defeated Diablo and are not receiving a Legendary, using the "Reset Quests" option will allow you receive this bonus again! However, be aware that you are required to complete every main story quest in the campaign in order to use this option. This also works for resetting the first-time kills from 1-59.

How about a new feature on the diablo drop if you reset and go all the way through..

allow us to "name" the legendary.
03/13/2014 03:38 PMPosted by VaPatsFan

How about a new feature on the diablo drop if you reset and go all the way through..

allow us to "name" the legendary.

Heh, that reminds me of a quest reward in Diablo II - LoD in act V. When you finished the quest the weapon you chose to upgrade had your character's name added to the weapon's name.
Posted by pharaoh

I just beat Azmodan for the first time with my HC Monk (level 43) and got no legendary. I cannot find any other posts about this issue for anyone else, but I find this a bit upsetting.
I've seen a lot of great questions being asked since Nevalistis posted earlier, so I'm going to address as many of them as I can. Thanks to everyone for asking all of these questions, since I'm sure a lot of your fellow Nephalem have been wondering the same thing.

First Kill Legendary Items
  • These will drop for characters from levels 1-59.
  • They will only drop from end of Act bosses (Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, Diablo, and eventually Malthael).
  • Characters below level 11 are unlikely to find Legendary items, because they have a minimum level requirement. Currently there are no Legendary items available below level 11.
  • Using the Reset Quest feature will reset the First Kill Legendary Item drops as well, but only for characters in the appropriate level range.

Reset Quest Bonus Legendary
  • Skeleton King dropping a Bonus Legendary was a bug that has been corrected, as it was not intended. We liked the idea, though, so we’ve gone ahead and added a Bonus Legendary to Diablo.
  • These are an intended bonus for maximum level characters. Currently there is a bug that allows characters levels 1-59 to receive a Bonus Legendary item in addition to the First Kill Legendary item when they kill Diablo, but this is not intended.
  • The Bonus Legendary is only available if you use the Reset Quest feature.
  • We plan on moving the Bonus Legendary to Malthael for players level 61+ when the expansion arrives. Additionally, Diablo will no longer drop a Bonus Legendary for players level 61+.
03/14/2014 05:09 PMPosted by Grimiku
I've seen a lot of great questions being asked since Nevalistis posted earlier, so I'm going to address as many of them as I can. Thanks to everyone for asking all of these questions, since I'm sure a lot of your fellow Nephalem have been wondering the same thing.

• They will only drop from end of Act bosses (Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, Diablo, and eventually Malthael).
  • Characters below level 11 are unlikely to find Legendary items, because they have a minimum level requirement. Currently there are no Legendary items available below level 11.
  • Using the Reset Quest feature will reset the First Kill Legendary Item drops as well, but only for characters in the appropriate level range.

• Skeleton King dropping a Bonus Legendary was a bug that has been corrected, as it was not intended. We liked the idea, though, so we’ve gone ahead and added a Bonus Legendary to Diablo.
  • These are an intended bonus for maximum level characters. Currently there is a bug that allows characters levels 1-59 to receive a Bonus Legendary item in addition to the First Kill Legendary item when they kill Diablo, but this is not intended.
  • We plan on moving the Bonus Legendary to Malthael for players level 61+ when the expansion arrives. Additionally, Diablo will no longer drop a Bonus Legendary for players level 61+.

Shouldn't all this information be available in game somewhere?
03/12/2014 10:19 PMPosted by SenorSmiley

Hey Mr. Nevalistis, can you answer this question for me? i just killed belial on my, (wait for it) level 3 Witch Doctor. I did not get a legendary. it was my first time killing him......

what gives?

Level 8 is the lowest legendary. You wont reach these points without aid regularly.
We plan on moving the Bonus Legendary to Malthael for players level 61+ when the expansion arrives. Additionally, Diablo will no longer drop a Bonus Legendary for players level 61+.

This is nice but imo not that much of a big deal, I think running Bounties over and over for satchels/rifts and blood shards for gambling will get players XP / Legendaries at a much, much higher rate.

You guys really underestimate how fast players will be able to run those, completing a full campaign run including Act 5 will be a real long ride for just that Legendary from Malthael and the couple of them along the way.

25% chance for Legendary drop from Act 1-2-3-4 End Bosses and 100% from Malthael in campaign runs? would add some excitement and be totally fine.
03/12/2014 08:07 PMPosted by Gibs
03/12/2014 08:02 PMPosted by Superchang
Awesome. Can you just give fans what they want and put a legendary on every boss?

K thx!

Lol every boss would be too much, maybe Belial, Azmodan and Diablo though???????

Wouldn't be too much. Make all act bosses drop a legendary on every reset even on 60+ level.
At least we would have a better incentive to play the entire campaign once in a while.

If it becomes exploitable with people rushing trought the acts on lower difficulties, just make it so that it only drops on torment for level 60+ players (than ratter any difficulty to 59- players). Still exploitable? Make like keys/organs were in the mp1-10 days: For every torment level up you gain an increased % like T6-100% drop chance chance / T5-80% drop chance / T4-60% drop chance / T3-40% drop chance / T2-20% drop chance / T1-10% drop chance.

It's not worth resetting the quests for one guaranteed drop from Diablo. It certainly won't be worth it for Malthael.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why devs are being so stingy by not letting every act end boss drop one after resetting the quests. That would make it worth doing.
I killed Azmodan for the first time with one of my characters (lvl 40 something) and did not get a legendary; I went on to kill Diablo with the same character (lvl 50 something) and also didn't get a legendary. I already gave a bug report on this, but just making it known.
But what about the people who do not get the expansion ?
Are they no longer guranteed a legendary for doing a full act clear ?
Seems more and more ya'll are trying to force the expac on everyone.

I would suggest Diablo still drops a legendary for 61+ characters on a reset. As it is the game takes along time considering you have to beat every quest on the way to the last boss. And frankly campaign mode will not compare too adventure mode for loot potential, so wouldn't it make sense too fill the gap abit?

Having the last couple act bosses drop a legendary on a reset really wouldn't harm the game, infact I feel you would make alot of people happy(people who want to play the story)

Remember, with adventure mode here, people will start saying they feel forced too play it because the drops are best there.

And yeah... I think they should all drop one too be honest. Added this in as I see there are others with the same view.
What about 2 handers? Are they supposed to roll 1 hand stats or has that been corrected? Personally I have not had another 2 hander drop since the 2.0.3 patch but maybe you can squash the rumors floating around.
03/14/2014 05:24 PMPosted by KhaoS
We plan on moving the Bonus Legendary to Malthael for players level 61+ when the expansion arrives. Additionally, Diablo will no longer drop a Bonus Legendary for players level 61+.

This is nice but imo not that much of a big deal, I think running Bounties over and over for satchels/rifts and blood shards for gambling will get players XP / Legendaries at a much, much higher rate.

You guys really underestimate how fast players will be able to run those, completing a full campaign run including Act 5 will be a real long ride for just that Legendary from Malthael and the couple of them along the way.

25% chance for Legendary drop from Act 1-2-3-4 End Bosses and 100% from Malthael in campaign runs? would add some excitement and be totally fine.

As of now I would run all 4 acts but for 1 legendary at the end. There is so much wasted time running and completing every single quest in the game. Not to mention all the dead areas in the game still that will not yield much as in legendary chances. I would be stoked for a 10% on each act boss. Skele king, Spider Queen, Warden and Butcher. Thats a 40% chance per run basically.

No we do not need a 5% bonus per torment level or anything like that. A flate rate would be super and make it worth doing and exciting.
03/14/2014 05:24 PMPosted by KhaoS

It's not necessarily intended to be an incentive to reset the quest. It's a bonus feature to the players who enjoy already replaying the game, is all.

so the ones with expansion will have longer route to get garanee legendary. Just saing. Hopefully adventure mode will be both more revarding and fun
03/14/2014 05:25 PMPosted by Rookery

It's not worth resetting the quests for one guaranteed drop from Diablo. It certainly won't be worth it for Malthael.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why devs are being so stingy by not letting every act end boss drop one after resetting the quests. That would make it worth doing.

Increase the rate at which they drop from act-end bosses, sure. But I don't agree with a 100% chance on every act-end boss. Personally, I like running through the game A1-A4 already, and the fact that they added in a free legendary for me, I'm already happy. However, there is an issue here. The more you increase the rates at which legendaries drop, they kinda lose their namesake and are only classified as "legendary" due to their stats. A high drop chance of legendaries seem to work against the commonality portion of the "legendary" concept. They already increased the rate at which you see them drop significantly.

I don't think that they should continue to increase the rate at which you see them in certain modes to make the rate at which you see them similar to other modes. Each method of playing the game should have its own perks, and the storyline should always be the #1 attraction to regular story-mode campaign play. If anything, things should be dropped down to match others, not be allowed to creep upwards. Legendaries are already far too common in my opinion already.

03/14/2014 07:13 PMPosted by NextDhavos

so the ones with expansion will have longer route to get garanee legendary. Just saing. Hopefully adventure mode will be both more revarding and fun

You are missing the point behind the implementation of this. It is not meant as an incentive, just a boon to people who already play the game this way. A reward for those who enjoy the story-mode campaign.