Why was Mirror Image / Hydra nerfed?

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Umm Blizzard, your recent patch broke this build.

I've been hooked, having so much fun, and now you screw this build completely?

Note, it wasn't even overpowered. The premise of the build is this -- that mirror images could each summon their own Hydra that deals 10% of the Hydra's normal output.

If you think about it, that only adds up to 140% of the Hydra's normal output. Even with 5 Hydras (4 duplicates plus 1 original). I don't know how insane you'd have to be to conclude that 140% of a normal Hydra is overpowered, considering how weak Hydra is, as a spell.

DOES BLIZZARD WANT EVERY WIZARD USING FROZEN ORB?

Please revert the Hydra nerf. This build is now dead.

Also, WOTB/RLTW/WW barbarians were like 5x more efficient than a comparable monk or DH for a long time. Yet Blizzard allowed this to happen and hardly ever nerfed it. Now this, barely average build comes in, and Blizzard kills it off literally within a fortnight?

What a joke.

Disappointed.

EDIT: Apparently some people cannot read. This is NOT about the patch hotfix that made the cloned Hydras do the correct amount of damage. I support that change, whether it was a buff or nerf. What I don't support is Mirror Images no longer summoning Hydra at all.
And I was about to try that build.... Guess I will stick with my current arcane build which I am liking allot.
How was this nerfed? All I see in the hotfix notes is "hydras summoned by Mirror Images should now deal the appropriate amount of damage", which I assume means the 10% you referred to. Not sure what they were dealing before the hotfix - maybe it was a buff!
03/13/2014 12:27 AMPosted by AngryFire
And I was about to try that build.... Guess I will stick with my current arcane build which I am liking allot.

Blizzard needs to stop stifling creativity.

03/13/2014 12:29 AMPosted by Dogf
How was this nerfed? All I see in the hotfix notes is "hydras summoned by Mirror Images should now deal the appropriate amount of damage", which I assume means the 10% you referred to. Not sure what they were dealing before the hotfix - maybe it was a buff!

You evidently have not tried since the hotfix. As I stated in my OP, Mirror Images will NO LONGER summon ANY hydra beyond 1.

So, previously you could have 1 real hydra + 4 cloned hydras. Now, you only get 1 real + 1 clone. Which is just lame.

This is the worst kind of stealth nerf, as it makes the build completely unusable.
Prior to the hotfix all the hydras were doing 100% dmg leading to 500% not 140%, but apparently OP doesnt understand that. They fixed a bug, its working as intended now.
03/13/2014 12:30 AMPosted by Gulgoth
Prior to the hotfix all the hydras were doing 100% dmg leading to 500% not 140%, but apparently OP doesnt understand that. They fixed a bug, its working as intended now.

Umm, no they did not. Also, now, mirror images won't summon Hydra at all beyond one. Tell me how that is working as intended? Do you even play wizard?

EDIT: see http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032733284 other people have reported this issue as well.
03/13/2014 12:29 AMPosted by Revolution
You evidently have not tried since the hotfix. As I stated in my OP, Mirror Images will NO LONGER summon ANY hydra beyond 1.

Well to be fair you didn't explicitly state this in your OP. But after some quick testing, yeah I think you might be right. Since it wasn't listed in the hotfix notes (and I agree it worked before the patch), I'd go ahead and report this as a bug.
03/13/2014 12:38 AMPosted by Dogf
Well to be fair you didn't explicitly state this in your OP. But after some quick testing, yeah I think you might be right. Since it wasn't listed in the hotfix notes (and I agree it worked before the patch), I'd go ahead and report this as a bug.

My apologies if this was not clear in the OP, English is not my first language but I try my best. I think communication is an aspect that I could work on better, but the same goes for Blizzard ;)
i REALLY dont think the hydras were doing 500% damage AT ALL. Maybe less damage than they should, maybe a little bit more, but certainly not 500%. And even if it wasnt, it shouldnt be a problem, it was not op at all, it was just fun.

I really wish people stoped posting things here without any knowledge on the subject, so we dont have to explain it like a milion times.

And by the way, the hydras should not disapear when the illusions do too, they should only disapear if the wizard dies or leaves the game. Otherwise, this build wont work properly as well.
I got to agree with this... I like trying builds all the time and having 4 hydras was kinda sweet and one of the builds i used the most since 2.0

I understand the damage thing but we should still be able to benefit from the 2 additional hydras.

Anyway most likely a bug since its not in the hotfix list and I hope devs will have a look at this.
03/13/2014 12:24 AMPosted by Revolution
Note, it wasn't even overpowered. The premise of the build is this -- that mirror images could each summon their own Hydra that deals 10% of the Hydra's normal output.

We never intended for Mirror Image to cast more than one additional Hydra which is why it was changed. This isn't necessarily due to the difference in damage, as much as it has to do with visual clutter. Mirror Image was spawning way too many things on the screen at once when combined with Hydra, and the rate that these hydras spawned in was pretty inconsistent. As far as damage goes, our intention was that hydras spawned by images do 10% damage, and that's where they're at now.
Previously the hydra build was just fun to look at, and that is all. For all that fire and carnage going on, the overall damage was pitiful.

Blizzard should make the hydra build more viable, maybe a total of 400% weapon damage for all the hydras cast. Granted there are skills out there with 600% or more damage, or 1000%+ over x seconds, this isn't too much to ask for. A pseudo pets build of sorts for the wizard is nice.
03/13/2014 12:11 PMPosted by Grimiku

We never intended for Mirror Image to cast more than one additional Hydra which is why it was changed. This isn't necessarily due to the difference in damage, as much as it has to do with visual clutter. Mirror Image was spawning way too many things on the screen at once when combined with Hydra, and the rate that these hydras spawned in was pretty inconsistent. As far as damage goes, our intention was that hydras spawned by images do 10% damage, and that's where they're at now.

Shame, I was using the hydras as part of my build but then stopped and changed it to the meteor which adds more damage and a 15s cooldown. Seems like I'll never go back to using hydra as the usage of it just diminished entirely.

I don't play any wizard build besides having fun with mirror image, teleport, and illusionist. It's fun being all over the screen and just causing a storm of effects rather than using one signature spell buffed up by force weapon, familiar, and paired with an armour (THAT IS SO BORING! I hate wizards with these builds)
The visual was cool, but it was really just a consolation prize for all the players who wanted a REAL hydra build. The wand letting you cast two at once is really not good enough either. We want a real hydra spec.

They should let you put hydra in more then one action slot at the same time and let you cast as many as you choose to use slots for. Maybe have it limited to 3 slots (or 6 hydras when combined with the wand). Then we can finally start playing a real hydra wizard.

whats next are u going to take way there ability to attack with the rest of the wizards skills?
so basically, Hydras are back to being something no competent wizard will ever use?
I get the visual clutter part.

But... :(

What's the obsession with removing "visual clutter"? This game has never had visual clutter anywhere. All you are doing is removing all visual cues letting us know that something is or has happened making it more and more difficult to know what's going on.