Severe Graphic Glitching

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next
trust me, we don't want this. i tried several ways to improve it but still failed.
whether u r able to solve it is one thing. but ur attitude is another.
i don't like your attitude in this post.
PLUS, we didn't force u to develop D3 on OS X system.
since u did it, u make it right.
To be clear, we are not denying this issue. We receive plenty of crash reports.
The post where I was suggesting to restart the client was just a workaround while waiting for the next patch. I mentioned in that post that this wasn't a solution.

We are actively working on this but it would really help if we could reproduce it internally.
Right now, all I can do is optimize our memory usage and hope this will be enough without any way to verify if it will fix the problem. Obviously, the work that was done in the last patch was not enough.
I guess I'll add my name to list of people here that are having graphics issues. My main problem is Act V and Westmarch heights. I just lost my hardcore character that was about halfway to lvl 60 today to glitchy lag (on Hard difficulty) and a chained frozen vortex elite that I literally couldn't escape no matter what key I pressed. It was so glitchy and laggy my keyboard and mouse were about a second delayed. There seems to be something about that act—possibly all the environmental graphics going on–that causes my laptop fans to go nuts and my graphics card to heat up to crazy high levels. I tried reducing all the graphics settings, but that didn't help at all.

I'm on an early 2011 i7 15" Macbook Pro with a AMD RAdeon HD 6750M 1024MB graphics card and 16GB of RAM. Also, I have a 7200 RPM WD Scorpio Black hard drive. I have even avoided upgrading to Mavericks, because I heard the graphics performance is even worse on that OS. So I'm still running the latest Mountain Lion 10.8.5. My connection speed is really fast as well, so I don't understand why I'm still getting so much lag.

I'm curious if anyone here is running RoS on a hackintosh with a high-end graphics card and still has these graphics issues. Or is anyone running RoS on an SSD instead of a regular hard drive? Does that help at all? I'd upgrade to an SSD or build a hackintosh if I knew it would fix this problem.
04/09/2014 07:06 PMPosted by S4d1k
We are actively working on this but it would really help if we could reproduce it internally

Have you tried creating a ram disk equal to all but like 2-4 gigs of ram on your test machine, then filling the disk with a text file or something? Basically, purposely locking out a ton of memory and cripple system intentionally to behave like a system with only 2 3 or 4 gigs of ram so D3 gets all up in that virtual memory and compressed memory.

Alternatively i suppose you could just pull the ram sticks.

04/09/2014 11:56 AMPosted by S4d1k
A common factor is that 99% percent of the people crashing have 1GB+ of VRAM

I have 3 gigs of vram, and don't crash or get the graphics glitches. :\
Maybe using web driver has something to do with it too? Do your test machines use 310 or 331? I run 331 with no issues though.

Nvidia Web driver is FAR newer than ones actually included in 10.9.2. R331 vs R310. If not installed on a mac pro though you have to modify installer or install using pacifist, but it still works and includes updates for all nvidia hardware, not just the desktop video cards. I wonder if it'll help anyone to try it. http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/331.01.01f02/WebDriver-331.01.01f02.pkg (only for experienced users who know how to get around "Mac Pro" check)

04/09/2014 09:13 PMPosted by Omek
I'm curious if anyone here is running RoS on a hackintosh with a high-end graphics card and still has these graphics issues

I am running a hackintosh, and I do NOT have these issues. Only issues I've ever seen are slow downs in act 5 and flickering blood in fields of mystery. Fields issue fixed in 2.0.4 and now I just have no issues at all minus act 5 performance needing some clear work. Never to this day seen a freeze or crash or long loading screens what so ever. This is on a hackintosh running 10.9.2, 32 gigs of ram, and nvidia 780 with 3 gigs of ram.

I'm actually surprised I don't run into problems but all I can suspect is when you have buttloads of ram and vram, it compensates for whatever the issue is. About the only issue I'd probably hit is 32 bit limit if i played at a higher resolution than 1680x1050 but I do not. I actually prefer this resolution.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0
Time since boot: 2 days 13:36

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 (obviously BS)
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz (Overclocked to 4.3)
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 32 GB (@ 1600mhz with 8, 9, 9, 24 memory timings. Having some stability issues with memory going tighter on timings or higher on clock frequency with CPU OC to 4.3 so 1600mhz will have to do since CPU > mem)
Processor Interconnect Speed: 25.4 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: Hack
SMC Version (system): 1.30f3
Illumination Version: 1.4a6

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: J6B1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3071 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1004
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.80.21.01.80
Displays:
Cinema:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: 2A70928FUFZ
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Hi Guys,

Same problem here on my MacBook Pro Retina.

Here is what typically happens:
1. I log in and immediately join my fellows for Rifts in T1/T2
2. After approximately 30 minutes of playing, the game start to get "laggy". Not laggy like a bad connexion or a high ping, but laggy like I'm running out of ram (which is not true since Magican confirms that I still have like 20% of my ram available
3. It gets laggier and laggier until it freezes out and crash to desktop
4. I restart the client
5. Rince and repeat

Here are some error codes I had last night:
DB8356A9-9333-4AE3-A04E-1C247EA87C04

F164C684-C079-4FDE-B0EF-77A4E9E7A747

It seems to occur when all party members are dropping some serious AoE spells, but I don't know why, I have reduced all graphics to the lowest setting with no effect. I precise that I play on a Mac Book Pro Retina, and that I can play WoW at 2880x1800 rez with all settings on ultra without ANY issue at all. Even when hundreds of players are spamming all kind of very graphic attacks.

Also, I have 8Go DDR3 Ram, which is low for gaming, but again I can play other games just fine. Diablo is the only game crashing for no apparent reason.
My GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

PS : Pardon my english level, it's not my mother tongue.
PPS: inb4 "Don't play on a mac" or other comments like that ;)
04/09/2014 10:07 PMPosted by MysticalOS
04/09/2014 07:06 PMPosted by S4d1k
We are actively working on this but it would really help if we could reproduce it internally

Have you tried creating a ram disk equal to all but like 2-4 gigs of ram on your test machine, then filling the disk with a text file or something? Basically, purposely locking out a ton of memory and cripple system intentionally to behave like a system with only 2 3 or 4 gigs of ram so D3 gets all up in that virtual memory and compressed memory.

Alternatively i suppose you could just pull the ram sticks.

A common factor is that 99% percent of the people crashing have 1GB+ of VRAM

I have 3 gigs of vram, and don't crash or get the graphics glitches. :\
Maybe using web driver has something to do with it too? Do your test machines use 310 or 331? I run 331 with no issues though.

Nvidia Web driver is FAR newer than ones actually included in 10.9.2. R331 vs R310. If not installed on a mac pro though you have to modify installer or install using pacifist, but it still works and includes updates for all nvidia hardware, not just the desktop video cards. I wonder if it'll help anyone to try it. http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/331.01.01f02/WebDriver-331.01.01f02.pkg (only for experienced users who know how to get around "Mac Pro" check)

04/09/2014 09:13 PMPosted by Omek
I'm curious if anyone here is running RoS on a hackintosh with a high-end graphics card and still has these graphics issues

I am running a hackintosh, and I do NOT have these issues. Only issues I've ever seen are slow downs in act 5 and flickering blood in fields of mystery. Fields issue fixed in 2.0.4 and now I just have no issues at all minus act 5 performance needing some clear work. Never to this day seen a freeze or crash or long loading screens what so ever. This is on a hackintosh running 10.9.2, 32 gigs of ram, and nvidia 780 with 3 gigs of ram.

I'm actually surprised I don't run into problems but all I can suspect is when you have buttloads of ram and vram, it compensates for whatever the issue is. About the only issue I'd probably hit is 32 bit limit if i played at a higher resolution than 1680x1050 but I do not. I actually prefer this resolution.

Interesting, so with a 780, you still have slow-downs in Act V though? I would think with a setup like you have it would run smoothly. I just noticed that Nvidia finally released some drivers for those upper-end cards to work with 10.9.2 finally. I am probably going to look into building a hackintosh now. It seems like the only way to make RoS run more smoothly. Are you running RoS on an SSD as well?

I am using a 30" Cinema Display with my Macbook pro, but I always run in windowed mode. And I scale it down quite a bit.

I agree with Quintessence…this is my same experience. It runs fairly quickly at first, but after a few hours of play or entering Act V areas, I see all kind of skippy slow-downs.
I've been playing for a couple days now, and no more freezes when I go to teleport to town after doing a rift!!! Something got fixed for me! I will report asap if I crash/freeze up again.. but so far, it seems good to me!

(MacBook pro, 15" retina, 256gb ssd, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, 2.3 ghz, i7)
It crashed for me for the first time yesterday. Usually, when I start to see the graphics go strange (usually during or immediately following a rift), i have time to teleport to town, switch the graphics textures from high to low and back again, and can resume playing. This time, the graphics started to go screwy, and before I could teleport back the game crashed right away.
I get the graphics problem anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours of continuous playing. Restarting the program seems to fix it temporarily for another 30 min to 2 hours. Here's my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: Retina LCD
Resolution: 2880 x 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
I've been having this issue after I upgraded to 10.9. The first solution was to restart the game...

This happened again tonight and I tried lowering shadow quality and all those fancy settings to low or off and... voila! it fixed. I don't remember the old setting and which graphic setting affected this fix... and the game graphics look very very poor now. :(
I've been having this issue since upgrading to ROS. Blizzard please come up with a fix. thanks!
Hi Everyone. Well, I became frustrated at not even being able to play this game, so I asked Blizzard customer service to either supply me with a refund or provide me with a fix completion date. Without argument they refunded my costs. Sure, it'll tale up to 10 days to see it, but it sure looks like Blizz is going to be taking even longer to fix the problem.

On a side note, this problem is also happening in World of Warcraft. Although it is nowhere near as common or prevalent. Yet, it still happens. I am hoping Blizzard will address the issue from a global standpoint that there is just something going on between Macintosh and Blizzard communications on our machines. Like I said in a previous post, although my machine is fairly old, Apple replaced everything but the fan, the optical drive, and the hard last summer in an attempt to resolve this issue. So, basically, all the parts in my machine are only just under a year old at this point. I am using Mavericks, Apple won't make major repairs unless you are on the most current OSX, at least they wouldn't around here.

So, Blizz folks. Please find out why our Mac machines are having issues with your software and try to repair it. I would hate to have to just quit playing Blizz games. Buying a PC just to play games is not in my family's budget. Take care, hope to see a fix soon. Was having fun when it wasn't crashing.
We are really sorry for all the problems that this bug has caused.
We are still working hard to resolve this issue. A new attempt to fix this will be included in the next patch. This fix will also affect WoW and SC2.
04/11/2014 02:26 PMPosted by S4d1k
This fix will also affect WoW and SC2

Oh? I wasn't aware those two games had this issue, then again WoW is 64 bit, so even if it's inefficient with memory i suppose it isn't crashing cause of it.
Internally, we still have a very hard time reproducing this issue.

S4d1k, download Ram Disk Creator and use it to create a RAM disk that is the size of your installed RAM minus 4 GB on these machines. Fill it with a text file that fits just within the boundaries of the RAM disk's size. This effectively makes your machine behave as if it were equipped with only 4 GB of RAM. Do this on the machines you have available, especially any dual core versions and run D3. To ensure a fresh start other than the filled RAM disk, run sudo purge in the Terminal to wipe out any file cache as an initial variable.

I'm fairly confident you'll run into the situation very easily once you limit your machines to 4 GB RAM or less.

Ram Disk Creator link: http://bogner.sh/2012/12/os-x-create-a-ram-disk-the-easy-way/
04/11/2014 04:22 PMPosted by TheTias
Internally, we still have a very hard time reproducing this issue.

S4d1k, download Ram Disk Creator and use it to create a RAM disk that is the size of your installed RAM minus 4 GB on these machines. Fill it with a text file that fits just within the boundaries of the RAM disk's size. This effectively makes your machine behave as if it were equipped with only 4 GB of RAM. Do this on the machines you have available, especially any dual core versions and run D3. To ensure a fresh start other than the filled RAM disk, run sudo purge in the Terminal to wipe out any file cache as an initial variable.

I'm fairly confident you'll run into the situation very easily once you limit your machines to 4 GB RAM or less.

Ram Disk Creator link: http://bogner.sh/2012/12/os-x-create-a-ram-disk-the-easy-way/

Agreed. Many people don't play with no other apps open so of course there will always be more memory ate up that way. I usually purge my memory before i play leaving me with about 3.5 gb free out of 8gb. I usually run chrome, Mail, and iTunes running in the background with music playing.. (game sound is muted)
Finally had a rift crash for the first time since 2.0.4. After rift #4 and about 3 hours of playing.

Here is crash report: 94C0842F-3C54-4D9A-80EA-15B0F74CBD41
My Mac Pro 15" retina, has been running great since 2.04... Doing multiple bounties and rifts. no freezes/crashes.

However, yesterday, I had finished a rift, and had left my inventory window open, and after I teleported to town, the game froze as I entered town.... had to reboot the computer.....

(Note, sometime also, the game will start up, and it will show 0 for my friends count. That usually signals trouble..)
Basically, everytime I finish a couple of rift runs and teleport back to town, the graphic became messy. Normally after the 3rd or 4th rift.

In the past, I was always got this problem whenever I enter the rift and teleport back. After the 2.0.4, I can run some rifts before it becomes messy like that.
I am using a Macbookpro Retina 15 inch with 16gb RAM