Severe Graphic Glitching

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 6 7 8 12 Next
I thought my RAM was a bit low, but didn't know it was actually below 'requirements/suggested' amount. Luckily I will soon be on the lookout for a new computer for gaming. Thanks for the quick reply!
happened all thru beta, haven't been able to fix it on mine either no matter what I try
03/31/2014 12:12 PMPosted by S4d1k
Thanks to everybody that sent crash IDs and informations.

All the crashes are related.

Technical explanation:
We are running out of memory address space. Which is causing the textures to be loading incorrectly and to show garbage data. Changing the texture quality tells the game to reload all its textures, this might avoid the problem for a short period of time.

This bug cannot cause damage to hardware.

The next time this happens, can you guy launch Activity Monitor and double-click on the Diablo III process, click on the Memory tab and post the Virtual Memory Size?

In the meanwhile, we put a tentative fix for the next patch. I say "tentative" because we have no good way to verify if this really fixes the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the response! Will update on Virtual Memory Size when it happens next. Cheers!
2.46 GB
Didn't find a virtual memory size specifically for the process.

System Wide
Physical Memory : 16GB
Memory Used : 9.94GB
Virtual Memory : 16GB
Swap Used : 0B
App Memory : 3.64GB
File Cache : 4.98 GB
Wired Memory : 1.31GB
Compressed : 0B

Diablo 3 Process
Memory : 1.29GB
Real Mem: 1.37GB
Private Mem: 835.5MB
Shared Mem: 41.5MB
Purgeable Mem: 0B
same problem. it appears often after playing for one hour. For me, the only way is to restart the game.

Diablo 3 Process

Real Mem: 2.39 GB
Virtual Memory : 3.77 GB
Shared Mem: 18446744073399193600 (right after minimize the game), 64.7 MB(return to the game, minimize again)
Private Mem: 2.33 GB
03/31/2014 12:12 PMPosted by S4d1k
The next time this happens, can you guy launch Activity Monitor and double-click on the Diablo III process, click on the Memory tab and post the Virtual Memory Size?

Real Memory: 2.40 GB
Virtual Memory: 3.75 GB
Shared Memory: 47.1 MB
Private Memory: 1.99 GB
Thanks for these numbers.

Anytime, the virtual memory is above 3.70 GB you risk crashing.
If you are at a point where you can restart the game without losing progress, you should do that.

It should be much better when the new patch is released.
thank you for the update, s4d1k. and i am so relieved to hear that at least the problem has been identified. things have been wonky ever since 2.0. and have only gotten worse since RoS released, but it makes it bearable knowing that a fix is underway.
04/01/2014 02:15 PMPosted by S4d1k
Thanks for these numbers.

Anytime, the virtual memory is above 3.70 GB you risk crashing.
If you are at a point where you can restart the game without losing progress, you should do that.

It should be much better when the new patch is released.

When can we expect this patch? Is it gonna be in 2.1 which is like 2 or 3 month away?
Or a patch coming pretty soon? I don't want to wait 3 months to play something iv paid for already.
Really glad to see this issue is being worked on.. To everyone, i did reset my game Cache earlier and it seems to have helped some... was hovering around 3.5 gb of Virtual memory on this last game but didnt really do much that would make it get super high.. Worth a shot if you havent tried it yet
Thanks for the updates S4d1k.

In the meantime, I've significantly reduces the number of crashes that I'm getting by turning down my resolution and turning texture quality to low. Also, don't run rifts when your home town is act 5. Reset the game until you get an A2 or A3 town. Zoning into the act 5 town from a rift crashes more often than into the smaller vanilla towns that presumably have fewer textures.
03/31/2014 01:30 PMPosted by Smile
Good news. To avoid this, i have to install windows and play there.

I was thinking of doing this too because I didn't want to deal with glitchy graphics for RoS release, but there was a blue post somewhere -- too tired to go searching for it -- that said Windows users have the same problem except they do not get the psychedelic textures warning like we do their game just crashes. As an HC player I would rather have time to stop what I'm doing and change texture from high to low to avoid a DC death.

Just something to think about.
Hello people, hello Blizzard, hello Tech Support!

I don't know if this is going to help, but the glitch (Late 2012 MacBook Pro Retina, 16 GB RAM), happens mostly when I'm playing rifts, or when I'm playing the highlands in Act 1 (btw, blood on the ground flickers white/red/white/red/white/red it's really unpleasant to see). Could it be a shaders problem, over the memory issue you just told us about?
The patch is coming soon, this will be a minor patch before 2.1.

The schedule can change at anytime, that why we do not give specific dates.

Just be aware that since this an out of memory bug, we can only make it better. Which means it might still happen but less frequently. The ultimate goal is to use less memory so this never happens.

As a note, adding more RAM would not fix the problem but could increase the performance if you have less than 8 GB.
So I don't think it is my computer being strained in any way (nvidia 650 m 1gb, 8gb ram, 2.3 ghz quad core), as my framerate is above 50 the entire time. It appears as if the game is using the wrong textures/art in different areas. Im not a coding expert, so I don't know the implications of this, but it seems as if it replaces say the texture of my source with the art for an item, and the art for an item for the texture of the ground, and so on. all the physics remain in place, it appears as if it is swapping which art/ texturing should be where.

VERY important: I lost a set of very nicely rolled gloves to this problem, and customer service CANNOT replace it. Anyone who is have problems like these be careful because if you misplace an item they can't replace it. I hope they can either fix this or figure out a way to replace items lost.
04/01/2014 09:15 PMPosted by teknical
Thanks for the updates S4d1k.

In the meantime, I've significantly reduces the number of crashes that I'm getting by turning down my resolution and turning texture quality to low. Also, don't run rifts when your home town is act 5. Reset the game until you get an A2 or A3 town. Zoning into the act 5 town from a rift crashes more often than into the smaller vanilla towns that presumably have fewer textures.

it works! I have met the problem again, and I just reset the texture quality to low, and the graphic glitching is gone without restart the game. but i have to get used to the low quality texture.
I do lost a awesome item(green) which technical support team can not replace it. so just set the texture quality to low as teknical mentioned to see if works.
04/02/2014 02:07 PMPosted by S4d1k
Just be aware that since this an out of memory bug, we can only make it better. Which means it might still happen but less frequently. The ultimate goal is to use less memory so this never happens.

Clearly D3 is reaching its' limits as a 32 bit app if it's stretching just shy of 4 gigs as is. Also considering that not a single 32 bit machine is supported, on windows or mac side, why is this app even a 32 bit binary in the first place? Isn't it time to make this a 64 bit binary to throw any current memory limitations out the window? It should also help game performance a little bit like it did for wow by adding in addition cpu registers. Unlike wow though, seems like far far less reason to support dual binaries. go 64 only and optimize it that way. :)
Deleted.