Leg timer?

General Discussion
Saw in thread some one mention this.
Any one know what that is about?
90 minutes.

I've timed it. This is the longest you can go without getting a legendary. It functions like clockwork.

I play pretty non-stop. I'm not sure if the counter ticks if you aren't moving/fighting but i'd venture the answer is no. Otherwise people would just wait 90 mins kill something, get legendary, and then go watch tv.
No one knows how it works, so people just keep making stuff up. I do know it's not a simple timer, and Travis said he was confident it was something that couldn't be exploited.
03/14/2014 09:09 AMPosted by Zane
90 minutes.

I've timed it. This is the longest you can go without getting a legendary. It functions like clockwork.

I play pretty non-stop. I'm not sure if the counter ticks if you aren't moving/fighting but i'd venture the answer is no. Otherwise people would just wait 90 mins kill something, get legendary, and then go watch tv.

Don't listen to this guy. Just another person pulling random happenstance and making it fact.
I think they put some rng in the rng. so on a rng you rng to see how long it takes to rng again.
There is no Leg timer. Your drops are RNG unless you go a really long time and the safety net kicks in.

There are two systems involved in drops:
1. RNG system with a standard programmed drop chance. Based on that chance, the average drop rate on that right now is 1 per 2 hours according to the Devs so drops will form a bell curve around that point. This matches what we see people posting. Lot of folks in the 90-150 min range.
2. A safety net timer that can modify the first system if the RNG gods hate you. It prevents you from going 10 + hours without a leg. Sometime after 4-6 hours it kicks in and slowly starts to increase the legendary drop rate.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293
The fact that some people claim to go for 10+ hours without finding a legendary is not only not our intent, but should in fact be impossible. We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer. This is meant to be a safety net so that the random can never be too extreme to the negative end. If players are legitimately going 18+ hours and not seeing a legendary it's possible that there are some bugs floating around that need to be identified.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=23#451
First the clarification, the timer system that works behind the scenes is meant to be exactly that, behind the scenes. No you can't afk the system, there are a lot of moving pieces to it and we talked about it extensively before we implemented it to guarantee its not exploitable. At it's heart Diablo is a game about slaughtering demons and getting random cool rewards. The system that is in place should never be experienced by 99% of the population, it's there for the 1% who just get really bad random rolls for an excessively long period of time. If we want you to get a legendary every 2 hours, the system basically says "ok it's been like double/triple that period of time, just help the guy out!"

Unlucky Person affected by Failsafe
0h--------RNG--------2h--------RNG--------4h--------5h--------6h-------------DROP
Failsafe Timer--------------------------------------------+ Leg Chance---------Timer resets

Normal RNG Drops
0h--------RNG--------2h--------DROP
Failsafe Timer------------------Timer resets – Failsafe system never kicks in
Thanks for the explanation. 1 per ~2 hour feels correct (although the game should stop pushing shields down my throat when i play my barb :p ).

What happens to the failsave timer when we rebuild the game. As in that i'm trying to farm the horadic cache in act1 (for the 1h). when im done i leave the game and start again.
03/14/2014 09:41 AMPosted by MissCheetah
There is no Leg timer. Your drops are RNG unless you go a really long time and the safety net kicks in.

There are two systems involved in drops:
1. RNG system with a standard programmed drop chance. Based on that chance, the average drop rate on that right now is 1 per 2 hours according to the Devs so drops will form a bell curve around that point. This matches what we see people posting. Lot of folks in the 90-150 min range.
2. A safety net timer that can modify the first system if the RNG gods hate you. It prevents you from going 10 + hours without a leg. Sometime after 4-6 hours it kicks in and slowly starts to increase the legendary drop rate.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293
The fact that some people claim to go for 10+ hours without finding a legendary is not only not our intent, but should in fact be impossible. We added a system in the expansion that tracks the amount of time you spend fighting creatures without finding a legendary and after a certain period of time will slowly start increasing the legendary drop rate. Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer. This is meant to be a safety net so that the random can never be too extreme to the negative end. If players are legitimately going 18+ hours and not seeing a legendary it's possible that there are some bugs floating around that need to be identified.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=23#451
First the clarification, the timer system that works behind the scenes is meant to be exactly that, behind the scenes. No you can't afk the system, there are a lot of moving pieces to it and we talked about it extensively before we implemented it to guarantee its not exploitable. At it's heart Diablo is a game about slaughtering demons and getting random cool rewards. The system that is in place should never be experienced by 99% of the population, it's there for the 1% who just get really bad random rolls for an excessively long period of time. If we want you to get a legendary every 2 hours, the system basically says "ok it's been like double/triple that period of time, just help the guy out!"

Unlucky Person affected by Failsafe
0h--------RNG--------2h--------RNG--------4h--------5h--------6h-------------DROP
Failsafe Timer--------------------------------------------+ Leg Chance---------Timer resets

Normal RNG Drops
0h--------RNG--------2h--------DROP
Failsafe Timer------------------Timer resets – Failsafe system never kicks in

Its this.
The only reason it feels like its 1 every hour and a half is because they have statistically made this the drop zone. The only people who disagree don't understand statistics. Most people will get them within an hour or two but the timer system is in place to keep people from going on extraordinary bad luck streaks.
04/08/2014 05:19 AMPosted by Noctus
Thanks for the explanation. 1 per ~2 hour feels correct (although the game should stop pushing shields down my throat when i play my barb :p ).

What happens to the failsave timer when we rebuild the game. As in that i'm trying to farm the horadic cache in act1 (for the 1h). when im done i leave the game and start again.

It probably does but the likelihood of you reaching that timer is still very low.The drop rates will statistically drop you a legendary every hour and a half or so.
Its like a coin flip. Lets say you are trying for tails. First flip is heads. Now statistically the next flip will be tails. But lets say you get heads again. You still only have a 50/50 chance to get heads or tails. Just because you have gotten two heads in a row doesn't mean you're gonna get a tails.

And how this relates to your question is if I flip the coin immediately or in a half hour the odds aren't going to change. You still have the exact same probability of getting a leg no matter how many times you reset.

Hope I explained this well
It is a sad state when you have to put in a "drop timer" because you fail at being able to increase them to a point that is sustainable. The release of ROS the drop rates were actually pretty damn good.

Now they are pathetic. It was pretty apparent after one of the hotfixes a few days after release they stealth nerfed the drop rates. Now your stuck on the pity timer.

GG blizz keep messing it up and torturing your player base.
Regardless of the rhetoric (and the green is just repeating what devs have said), the outcome of all the spaghetti code and convoluted systems is that Legendaries drop almost on time, almost every time, when averaged out over a long period of play.

I.E. it's dull. But that's what happens when you build your gameplay around a single thing, it becomes one dimensional fast.
Hah! I used to think the same way... until I joined a bounty splitfarm and got 4 legendaries in a 5 minute span. (2 from the same purple mob)
04/08/2014 05:25 AMPosted by morocka
It is a sad state when you have to put in a "drop timer" because you fail at being able to increase them to a point that is sustainable. The release of ROS the drop rates were actually pretty damn good.

Now they are pathetic. It was pretty apparent after one of the hotfixes a few days after release they stealth nerfed the drop rates. Now your stuck on the pity timer.

GG blizz keep messing it up and torturing your player base.
You better cover your account in tinfoil, because Blizzard is coming after you with an army of mind lawyers because you hacked into their classified top secrets.
ya all drops rates in the FULL game need to be buffed ALLOT not this oh we added 25% bs and its 1.15+1.15=1.32 like wtf is that its not even a 2% chance i dont understand there math and im stick of not find any legs that are worth keeping!~!!
after that hotfix which made the rifts higher droprate,my friend and i done a lot rift in t2,the last 5 rift we cleared i onyl got a legendray helm,the broken crown 2 times,!@#$ing joke,when my gear best item is my helm surely in my anger instanly i dropped down and let it there those piece of craps,and i have lvl 60 yellow amulet,joke,past 3 days we done a lot bounty,20+ riftm,and only got that 2 helm,0 leg material,the system sucks as it is now.
04/08/2014 05:19 AMPosted by Noctus

The failsafe, or safety net timer, works like pools of reflection and will persist between games although it only increments if you are fighting monsters. Chances of you going the 4-6 hours for it to ever start upping your drop rate is slim though. Usually you get a drop before then.

04/08/2014 05:25 AMPosted by morocka

The amount of incorrect info here is overwhelming. Drop rates were not nerfed and unless you are hitting upwards of 6 hours or so you are not getting drop from the safety net.

04/08/2014 05:29 AMPosted by t0lkien
Regardless of the rhetoric (and the green is just repeating what devs have said), the outcome of all the spaghetti code and convoluted systems is that Legendaries drop almost on time, almost every time, when averaged out over a long period of play.

Well yes, but that is any game with drops. If you graph them then it will form a bell curve. Most drops are going to be under the main arch of the bell - pretty much the definition of average. The only way to flatten out that bell and distribute the drops more widely would be to lower the drop rates but nobody wants that. I will take being "average" vs having to go days without drops.
04/08/2014 05:29 AMPosted by t0lkien

I.E. it's dull. But that's what happens when you build your gameplay around a single thing, it becomes one dimensional fast.
Legends drop on time every time when averaged out across all time in D2 too. Average out every baal run ever played and the number of games to get any specific legendary approaches its statistical likelihood. It's boring and contrived, and gets dull fast.
Drop rates for Legs are fine IMO...And once they fix the leg mats drop rate, crafting is going to be useful as well...I just wish that the unique monsters would spawn in rifts as well....I've never gone more than a couple hours without a drop, and I've had 4 legs drop in 1 bounty, so it evens out....
You can say the grind gets boring, but once you have everything you want it gets even more boring.....
L3THAL I counted 23 legendary items you are actually using on your chars. Are you kidding me?
Your not kidding that guy is loaded!
I'm so frustrated at the moment. In the past week i needed to roll 2 legs.
One azure for a socket and one soj for cold damage.
For azure i had to spend 20+ FS
For soj i'm at 20+ FS, 20+ gems that are awfuly expensive and I still didn't get the cold roll.

Wtc is this a game for robots? For 40FS you have to play at least 40+ h but you still won't get the stat that you needed? Let's not talk about 900k gold for crafting the gem needed to enchant soj every fcking time.

The drops were much better in the first days of ROS.
The enchants were rolling much better in the first days of ROS.

Blizzard wtf are we?! You can't lie that you didn't stealth berf drops, rolls and enchants.
It's fine, people will stop playing this not rewarding game in maximum 2months, such a shame that D2 pawns D3 by far.

Shame blizzard

PS About the rifts boost, that's a crap, i've been doing rift T3 all day long and nothing good at all, I even got duplacates legs in a row, let's not talk about shields and 2h weapons when i'm playing wizzard.GJ.