If I just want to farm legendaries...

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
...should I play normal? I've been aiming for plvl 100 (I don't have that much free time) but once I hit it I'd like to hunt legendaries.

Are the drops in normal mode the same quality? Does killing more monsters equate to more drops?
I don't really see the difference myself,I started to level my HC WD and started in Normal.All the 2.0 Gear it has on was found in Normal with the exception of the Dagger.Took about two days to get it all.I was running a Wiz SC on T4 and the drop's seemed the same to me.
play normal yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViMETtWZN8

best legendary run

chests
bodies
purple mobs

in ros T1 is the only mode worth playing until then it matters not

a week isn't that much in the grand scheme of things
03/18/2014 09:35 AMPosted by Slaal
play normal yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViMETtWZN8

best legendary run

chests
bodies
purple mobs

in ros T1 is the only mode worth playing until then it matters not

a week isn't that much in the grand scheme of things


Study shows doing normal has a lower percent chance on gear. So it is best to do torment 1.
There are different quality drops between Normal through Master difficulties and Torment 1 through Torment 6.

Here's the link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986108797

And I'll quote it here too.

EDIT: I have received clarification that this was in fact a bug and all items are supposed to roll the higher tier. There are not supposed to be multiple tiers of the same item. If any are found, the item is bugged.
-----------------------------------------------------------
So, as you may or may not know, when you play Torment vs playing Normal, you will probably acquire items a lot faster in Normal.

This is because of a drastic difference in health pools between monsters.

HOWEVER, what the game guide doesn't exactly tell you is that there are 2 tiers of Legendaries for every level.

Here is Custerian Wristguards.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/custerian-wristguards

Now at first glance you may see that it looks like this.

CUSTERIAN WRISTGUARDS Wrists
Legendary Bracers
63–75 Armor

  • Secondary
  • Picking up gold grants experience.

  • One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
  • +11–12% Extra Gold from Monsters
  • +13–14% Extra Gold from Monsters

  • One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
  • Critical Hit Chance Increased by 1.5%
  • Critical Hit Chance Increased by 2.5–3.0%

  • +3 Random Magic Properties

Now if you're wondering, "Well, why does this item list Gold and CHC twice?

Well, it's rather simple.

The lower value is obtained from playing in Normal, Hard, Expert, Master.
The higher value is obtained from playing Torment I, II, III, IV, V, and VI.

To demonstrate what I mean by this, here are 2 level 60 version of the same item.

http://i.imgur.com/YSys4fT.jpg

If you look, this item was obtained in Normal and it contains the roll ranges of 200-219. It's a very narrowed range, but it still makes it better than what a rare can roll obtained in that difficulty.

However, if you take a look at the same item again that was found in Torment I you will see a bigger difference.

http://i.imgur.com/22gRE24.jpg

This item can roll between 220 - 349.

All items follow this rule. Take an example a weapon from the game guide.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-burning-axe-of-sankis

This can roll 2 different ranges of fire damage.

+(66–316)–(154–727) Fire Damage <=== Normal - Master
+(610–745)–(731–926) Fire Damage <===Torment I - Torment VI

So in essence, if you're trying to get a specific item and you don't necessarily care that it will be weaker, by all means farm it in Normal.

HOWEVER, if you do want a powerful item, you'll have to find it in Torment I or higher.

Happy hunting! <3

EDIT: I didn't know this thread existed or I never would have brought it up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986218708

Also due to the enormous QQ, I have changed the thread title.

EDIT 2:

03/09/2014 01:58 AMPosted by DrothVader
You know, I have a feeling that this whole 2 item tier thing is just a giant play on my original suggestion here.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10950255097

In my proposal I wanted the game to tighten the roll ranges as you progressed into the higher tiers of Torment.

I have a feeling (I would still like it to be confirmed that it does indeed work this way) that instead of taking that suggestion verbatim, they instead instituted 2 tiers on certain item rolls like Primary Stats.

Now, these are not exact numbers as I'm just spitballing here, but maybe it works like this.

Normal - 90% chance for Tier 1, 10% chance for Tier 2.
Hard - 80% chance for Tier 1, 20% chance for Tier 2.
Expert - 70% chance for Tier 1, 30% chance for Tier 2.
Master - 60% chance for Tier 1, 40% chance for Tier 2.
Torment I - 50% chance for Tier 1, 50% chance for Tier 2.
Torment II - 40% chance for Tier 1, 60% chance for Tier 2.
Torment III - 30% chance for Tier 1, 70% chance for Tier 2.
Torment IV - 20% chance for Tier 1, 80% chance for Tier 2.
Torment V - 10% chance for Tier 1, 90% chance for Tier 2.
Torment VI - 0% chance for Tier 1, 100% chance for Tier 2.

IF it indeed does work this way, then the developers do in fact know what they're doing and the game is more rewarding on higher difficulty levels.

HOWEVER, if the game DOES NOT work this way then the devs have absolutely no clue what they're doing and the lower tier needs removed.

TBH, I actually like this system better than the one I proposed because it doesn't shorten the life span of the game by literally guaranteeing a max roll at Torment VI.

I really need some clarification on this because knowing this information will either make me absurdly happy or incredibly upset.

________________________________________________
Any information posted above is usually wrong and can be safely ignored.
You can find more of my rants here: http://www.drothvader.org
"Hey, don't nerf my 'fun', bro." - Drothvader, Destroyer of Fun


Additionally: credit goes to DrothVader for the great post. :)
There are different quality drops between Normal through Master difficulties and Torment 1 through Torment 6.

Here's the link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986108797

And I'll quote it here too.

EDIT: I have received clarification that this was in fact a bug and all items are supposed to roll the higher tier. There are not supposed to be multiple tiers of the same item. If any are found, the item is bugged.
-----------------------------------------------------------
So, as you may or may not know, when you play Torment vs playing Normal, you will probably acquire items a lot faster in Normal.

This is because of a drastic difference in health pools between monsters.

HOWEVER, what the game guide doesn't exactly tell you is that there are 2 tiers of Legendaries for every level.

Here is Custerian Wristguards.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/custerian-wristguards

Now at first glance you may see that it looks like this.

CUSTERIAN WRISTGUARDS Wrists
Legendary Bracers
63–75 Armor

  • Secondary
  • Picking up gold grants experience.

  • One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
  • +11–12% Extra Gold from Monsters
  • +13–14% Extra Gold from Monsters

  • One of 2 Magic Properties (varies)
  • Critical Hit Chance Increased by 1.5%
  • Critical Hit Chance Increased by 2.5–3.0%

  • +3 Random Magic Properties

Now if you're wondering, "Well, why does this item list Gold and CHC twice?

Well, it's rather simple.

The lower value is obtained from playing in Normal, Hard, Expert, Master.
The higher value is obtained from playing Torment I, II, III, IV, V, and VI.

To demonstrate what I mean by this, here are 2 level 60 version of the same item.

http://i.imgur.com/YSys4fT.jpg

If you look, this item was obtained in Normal and it contains the roll ranges of 200-219. It's a very narrowed range, but it still makes it better than what a rare can roll obtained in that difficulty.

However, if you take a look at the same item again that was found in Torment I you will see a bigger difference.

http://i.imgur.com/22gRE24.jpg

This item can roll between 220 - 349.

All items follow this rule. Take an example a weapon from the game guide.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-burning-axe-of-sankis

This can roll 2 different ranges of fire damage.

+(66–316)–(154–727) Fire Damage <=== Normal - Master
+(610–745)–(731–926) Fire Damage <===Torment I - Torment VI

So in essence, if you're trying to get a specific item and you don't necessarily care that it will be weaker, by all means farm it in Normal.

HOWEVER, if you do want a powerful item, you'll have to find it in Torment I or higher.

Happy hunting! <3

EDIT: I didn't know this thread existed or I never would have brought it up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986218708

Also due to the enormous QQ, I have changed the thread title.

EDIT 2:

...
________________________________________________
Any information posted above is usually wrong and can be safely ignored.
You can find more of my rants here: http://www.drothvader.org
"Hey, don't nerf my 'fun', bro." - Drothvader, Destroyer of Fun


Additionally: credit goes to DrothVader for the great post. :)


EDIT: I have received clarification that this was in fact a bug and all items are supposed to roll the higher tier. There are not supposed to be multiple tiers of the same item. If any are found, the item is bugged.

so actualy no the game difficulty does not affect affix quality

i know because i've played this game

the game does not show properly on the item guide because they roll at higher levels

many items show 2 crit chance as max but roll 6 when at 60
you should do T1.

It is my understanding that set pieces do not drop in lower levels.
03/18/2014 10:04 AMPosted by Phatty
you should do T1.

It is my understanding that set pieces do not drop in lower levels.


Don't really know which pieces but it's true that there is exclusive legendaries in Torment difficulty, so i would only farm in Torment if i were you OP.
03/18/2014 10:07 AMPosted by Elitro
03/18/2014 10:04 AMPosted by Phatty
you should do T1.

It is my understanding that set pieces do not drop in lower levels.


Don't really know which pieces but it's true that there is exclusive legendaries in Torment difficulty, so i would only farm in Torment if i were you OP.


the only difference is in reaper of souls at level 70

all items otherwise is the same

some items can only be found in bounty bags from adventure mode and thus are also reaper of souls only

until then it doesn't matter you will get the same quality items

truthfully their is no real reason to worry about level 60 legendaries 6 days before level 70 gear from reaper of souls

play the game and you will get tons of legendaries no matter what you do with drop rates increasing after 2 hour gaps its next to impossible to fall through the gaps

i've had days of 13 drops 20 plus drops, normal or otherwise.

normal is pretty bad for XP gain which actually is far more worthwhile XP is not getting replaced like items are

Xp is linear

gear is limited shelf life
all of the above is true or not who freakin knows, heres the fact; farm at the highest difficulty where you can kill mobs in 30 secs or less and you will do fine. but when Ros comes out atleast farm T1 for a chance at endgame items
03/18/2014 10:04 AMPosted by Phatty
you should do T1.

It is my understanding that set pieces do not drop in lower levels.


this is false as i get set items at a decent rate just playing through normal on my lvl 60 (52 paragon) Wiz.
My goodness, there is a lot of unproven information mixed in with some nonsense in this thread. I'll list the things that we definitely know for sure.

1. Currently there are no Torment only legendaries.

2. In Reaper of Souls, there will be Torment only legendaries.

3. From Normal >> Master, you get increased chances for magical and rare items.

4. From Torment 1 >> Torment 6 you get increased chances for magical and rare items as well as an increased chance for legendaries (no specific numbers have been given to us).

Here are some things that the general population tend to agree on:

1. Core of Arreat runs can be efficient for legendaries.

2. Crypt of the Ancients seems to be the most effective for experience grinding.

3. In a week this all won't matter because Blizzard wants the most rewarding end game experience to be adventure mode with bounties and rifts. Even if it's not, they'll patch it so it is.

Here are some tips from an average gamer that's not built like a robot:

1. Farming Core of Arreat for hours on end is impossible for me (brain dies) and makes me a sad panda. I find variability enjoyable and usually hop around different areas that tend to have high density of elites and chests.

2. The only true way to to determine farming efficiency at different Torment levels is to track farming efficiency for yourself at your gear level (stop watch, count legendaries). I don't have the patience for this, but I like my kill speed at Torment II.

3. Whatever happened to figuring out what's fun in a game and pursuing that?
Try not to look at the game as a farming game. Farming, real farming is planting crops and knowing what yo plant and helping it to grow until it's food to harvest. In Diablo III, you don't know what you're going to get. Magical, rare, legendary, set. You just go, smash some daemon face, and see what comes out of it. I say play at the level were you can solo the game most effeciently.

That means that if it takes you 5 strikes to down a fallen, you're doing it wrong. Bring that down to 1-2 strikes. I feel 100k dps is great for about Masters with m personal play style.

03/18/2014 09:31 AMPosted by Bunshin
...should I play normal? I've been aiming for plvl 100 (I don't have that much free time) but once I hit it I'd like to hunt legendaries.

Are the drops in normal mode the same quality? Does killing more monsters equate to more drops?
03/18/2014 09:31 AMPosted by Bunshin
Are the drops in normal mode the same quality? Does killing more monsters equate to more drops?


The difficulty setting you're playing has no effect on the items you find at level 60. You can play at whatever difficulty feels right for you, and have a chance at the same items. This will change a little for players who reach level 70, though, since a small number of items only drop in Torment I - VI.
03/18/2014 10:44 AMPosted by Grimiku
03/18/2014 09:31 AMPosted by Bunshin
Are the drops in normal mode the same quality? Does killing more monsters equate to more drops?


The difficulty setting you're playing has no effect on the items you find at level 60. You can play at whatever difficulty feels right for you, and have a chance at the same items. This will change a little for players who reach level 70, though, since a small number of items only drop in Torment I - VI.


So torment 1-6 which slightly increase legendary drop rate each tick does not apply to level 69-?
03/18/2014 10:44 AMPosted by Grimiku
03/18/2014 09:31 AMPosted by Bunshin
Are the drops in normal mode the same quality? Does killing more monsters equate to more drops?


The difficulty setting you're playing has no effect on the items you find at level 60. You can play at whatever difficulty feels right for you, and have a chance at the same items. This will change a little for players who reach level 70, though, since a small number of items only drop in Torment I - VI.

Now what exactly do you mean by "a small number" for Torment? what makes master different?
03/18/2014 10:44 AMPosted by Grimiku
The difficulty setting you're playing has no effect on the items you find at level 60. You can play at whatever difficulty feels right for you, and have a chance at the same items. This will change a little for players who reach level 70, though, since a small number of items only drop in Torment I - VI.


does it mean:

- Torment 1-6 does not affect drop rate or higher torment levels does not increase drop rates?

I mean, if I kill 1000 mob in T1 & T6, is the drop chance for leg/set same?
03/18/2014 10:44 AMPosted by Grimiku
The difficulty setting you're playing has no effect on the items you find at level 60.


03/09/2014 01:58 AMPosted by DrothVader
HOWEVER, if the game DOES NOT work this way then the devs have absolutely no clue what they're doing and the lower tier needs removed.
Also do different legend drop on a higher torment then a lower torment..

EX Windfury as an exclusive T6 only Drop.

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum