Resplendent chests are disappointing

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
I agree, really lackluster. Having some gems and a bunch of gold would even be nice.
The totally random thing has some nice parts to it... but it's kind of ridiculous when a legendary item is sitting on a dead villager, who isn't a hero or anything, and two crap items come out of a resplendent chest.

You know... with the end of trading, and the AH, get over the ideology that you need to nerf anything that yields good results. If people want to hunt down resplendent chests and get at least a bonus chance of loot, let them. Don't hide the loot in a barrel just because people will "abuse" resplendent chests.
I stopped opening them. I'd much rather run out of my way to open a white chest then a golden chest. I've gotten close to 50% of my legendaries from white chests(which is an awesome feeling, love it!), but all I ever get is a flawless square gem, ~2k gold, a blue, and a rare. It's disappointing. Extremely boring, lackluster, and just blah. I used to love to explore to find those chests, but now I pass them up and just search for white chests/unique monsters(my top 2 contributors of legendaries).

So what should change?
Everything about them.
1) Make them rarer, and/or guarded by a unique/champs/rare. They shouldn't be farmable, they should be a fun and random reward.
2) Give them more loot. Like Horadric Cache style. I want it to explode loot and gold everywhere. EVERYWHERE I SAY.
3) Give it better loot. Higher chance at a legendary. 10% chance maybe, or higher. Depends on how rare the chests become.
4) Put them in random locations to reward exploration and map completion. Finding that little nook with a chest in it is an awesome feeling. Make it more awesome.

These changes will help tremendously. It will give players a better reason to explore any given map. It will give players a reason to be excited when seeing that golden goodness. It can help players who are feeling down about lack of legendaries. It will help D3 just be better. /nod

Edit: Going off what the person above me said, it's quite sad that these golden, rich, fancy chests give crap, while blood covered chests, shattered barrels, dead villager bodies, and loose stones in a cemetery give better loot. It feels so so so so wrong. Don't nerf the latter. Fix the former.
Think about it - if you were going to hide your family's ultra-powerful, legendary item that is spoken of in hushed tones around town, would you put it in the giant, shiny gold chest, just inviting people to steal it? Heck no! I'd either hide it in a nondescript barrel or just keep it on me always.
There you go.
03/19/2014 09:05 AMPosted by bdunkle
Think about it - if you were going to hide your family's ultra-powerful, legendary item that is spoken of in hushed tones around town, would you put it in the giant, shiny gold chest, just inviting people to steal it? Heck no! I'd either hide it in a nondescript barrel or just keep it on me always.
There you go.

Tell that to the farmer who wants to give us all of his goodies after saving him! ...Though I guess he doesn't count considering he talks to his dead wife on the rocking chair...
They should stuff a treasure goblin inside resplendent chests...that will make opening them fun. /justkidding
I am more disappointed in Cursed Chests. A much lower reward to effort ratio, if more compressed.
03/19/2014 09:13 AMPosted by Cavar
They should stuff a treasure goblin inside resplendent chests...that will make opening them fun. /justkidding

I suggested a Legendary item that gave you a chance to spawn a goblin upon opening chests :P
Splendid chests I got 2 legends to drop, separate drops of course, but they do drop. Yeah, I have hit a lot of them also with nothing dropping. I've gotten drops from logs, bodies, barrels, seem to drop a lot from environmental stuff, I like that, but it is sporadic, I've gotten drops off trash groups, just all rng, elites and bosses, I have yet to get anything to drop off them, unless I am on my low level characters in hardcore. Goblins I've gotten few legends so they do drop.

Disclaimer here: Everything dropped was brimstone, unless you have low to medium gear, upgrades will come only from ROS. Right now anything you find is just passing the time!
03/19/2014 08:04 AMPosted by Callynn
I got most of my legendaries (I daresy over 90% but didn't actually count) from (villager) corpses, weapon standards and armor standards. The rest drops from monsters and bosses, I never got anything remotely useful from a resplendent chest.

Yeah nothing like running around breaking pots and then seeing the brown beam shining to show that someone forgot where they dropped that leg.
Aren't you thankful?
At least give us more gold. like piles of gold.

or chance for brim stone
03/19/2014 06:58 AMPosted by percydaman
Wait guys, the new expansion trailer clearly shows 2 legendaries dropping from one of these cursed chests. So don't bother with resplendent chests anymore, do those cursed events! Guaranteed oranges falling from the sky!!

I'm almost sure that's irony.
Good news about Resplendent chest! We're going to buff the treasure that they yield, so that they feel more resplendent. There's been a lot of feedback about this, and it's definitely something we've noticed while playing, too. I don't have a time frame to share on when we can expect this change to happen, though, but it's something we plan to address.
That is good to hear that the developers may change things. Those chests do feel kind of lacking sometimes.
That's great! Any chance it can make it in for ROS release next week? As well, will this also affect cursed chests? Or only resplendents?
03/19/2014 03:23 PMPosted by Grimiku
Good news about Resplendent chest! We're going to buff the treasure that they yield, so that they feel more resplendent. There's been a lot of feedback about this, and it's definitely something we've noticed while playing, too. I don't have a time frame to share on when we can expect this change to happen, though, but it's something we plan to address.

Glad to hear, I'd like the majority of my legendaries to come from elites, bosses, events, and resplendent chests. Right now I get way more legendaries just from normal chests/containers than resplendents. This is definitely a positive mood

And listen, if you are afraid we'll find an area to farm resplendents, just keep them far from waypoints. Let us farm them to some degree. I rather you nerf their location than their drop chances. It's okay if we find a good way to farm legendaries because it's fun.
03/19/2014 08:16 AMPosted by SynthFEtish
I agree, really lackluster. Having some gems and a bunch of gold would even be nice.

This brings up a nice point, there is the occasional chest that pops out about 8 piles of gold. But they will probably nerf that.
03/19/2014 06:58 AMPosted by percydaman
Wait guys, the new expansion trailer clearly shows 2 legendaries dropping from one of these cursed chests. So don't bother with resplendent chests anymore, do those cursed events! Guaranteed oranges falling from the sky!!

Yeah it did, what appears to be an amulet and a Nailbiter. Whether they'll roll well or not is questionable.

But the point being that Resplendant Chests just aren't worth grabbing at the moment. You get better loot faster by killing mobs.