Witch Doctor still very unbalanced.

General Discussion
So I play the Witch doctor and have tried to play around with different possible builds compared to the original bears/bats build that has been around for months. As much as I try I find most of the Witch Doctors other skills not nearly as effective...The W.D seemed to be ignored with the latest patch :(. Many runes are still useless.

-As for Zombie charger, Zombie Bears rune is still the obvious choice by far, and the same goes with Cloud Of Bats.

-Acid cloud is somewhat effective with the increased damage,,but uses way to much mana (172) for the damage it comes along with comparing to Bears you are looking at (140). I try to run a build around acid cloud but my mana drains so quick. Also, the runes feel fairly under powered..which leads to the obvious first rune.

- Haunt still feels extremely weak and needs a large damage boost as well as a large indicator to which enemy it is haunting.. When comparing to damage over time attacks like Locust, Haunt does not compare. Due to the skill just being to underpowered, the skill is useless if you ask me. It only attacks a single target and its damage is far from effective.

-Mass confusion seems like a neat ability, but with its 60 second cool down?...Lets bring this to 40 and then we will talk...This feels like the same issue zombie wall had on release, to high of a cool down.

- Zombie Walls damage was nerfed to the ground. Yes it's cool down was highly reduced, but then you make the damage completely embarrassing. Why can't this ability be fixed properly? :(

-Zombie dogs - Now maybe I don't understand the point in how they work? but if you ask me, 12% of your overall damage is just to low. I find dogs only usable for tanking or mixed in with sacrifice. When it comes to them being damage dealers whatsoever, they are not. If this was maybe 25% damage, well that would be nice.

- Primary attacks. Now their basic damage is fine, but their runes? Most are completely terrible. Under powered or just total useless effect. The wizard got so much focus on its primary runes, but with the witch doctor, it feels like someone is trying to pull an early April fools joke.. :(

Overall the witch doctor compared to all other classes still feels very unbalanced. Many ability's damage numbers are far from what they should be, or some abilities cost more mana then they should. I hope this class gets more attention in the near future. Please Blizzard I like the W.D, but still works around cookie cutter builds.
Any thoughts?
i find the wd much funner to play actually. spirit barrage replaces the primaries and acid cloud a good damage boost with large mobs.
1. Wiz
2. Monk/Barb
3. DH
4-9. Poop

10. WD

In terms of ranking whats the best class right now
i personally love my wd, and using the legacy 4 piece set bonus, plus the passives i have, mana isnt an issue. check out my build. i do good damage, farm quickly, have lots of healing, and personally, i enjoy the play style.
03/20/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Desi786
i find the wd much funner to play actually. spirit barrage replaces the primaries and acid cloud a good damage boost with large mobs.

I think just the fact you state it replaces primary shows primary attacks need work...spirit barrage is nice, but is a mana spender, what happends when your low on mana? Your waiting around to cast just your standard attack.
You doing it wrong, not joking here. Men I main WD and i believe we have the most versatile class talking about different builds.

Rush of essence with well of souls = you can spam it forever, after 10 cast you regen so fast your mana never drops and it kills fast as anything.

There is the weapon I use which makes the frog spell a god.

also there are some kool DoT aoe builds with acid cloud

You can also start a game pop cirle of life get 3 free dogs and then replace the passive with another and dogs stay, so you have 1 skill slot extra.
03/20/2014 01:15 PMPosted by HeavyDuty
So I play the Witch doctor and have tried to play around with different possible builds compared to the original bears/bats build that has been around for months. As much as I try I find most of the Witch Doctors other skills not nearly as effective...The W.D seemed to be ignored with the latest patch :(.

-As for Zombie charger, Zombie Bears rune is still the obvious choice by far, and the same goes with Cloud Of Bats.

-Acid cloud is somewhat effective with the increased damage,,but uses way to much mana (172) for the damage it comes along with comparing to Bears you are looking at (140). I try to run a build around acid cloud but my mana drains so quick. Also, the runes feel fairly under powered..which leads to the obvious first rune.

- Haunt still feels extremely weak and needs a large damage boost as well as a large indicator to which enemy it is haunting.. When comparing to damage over time attacks like Locust, Haunt does not compare. Due to the skill just being to underpowered, the skill is useless if you ask me. It only attacks a single target and its damage is far from effective.

-Mass confusion seems like a neat ability, but with its 60 second cool down?...Lets bring this to 40 and then we will talk...This feels like the same issue zombie wall had on release, to high of a cool down.

- Zombie Walls damage was nerfed to the ground. Yes it's cool down was highly reduced, but then you make the damage completely embarrassing. Why can't this ability be fixed properly? :(

-Zombie dogs - Now maybe I don't understand the point in how they work? but if you ask me, 12% of your overall damage is just to low. I find dogs only usable for tanking or mixed in with sacrifice. When it comes to them being damage dealers whatsoever, they are not. If this was maybe 25% damage, well that would be nice.

- Primary attacks. Now their basic damage is fine, but their runes? Most are completely terrible. Under powered or just total useless effect. The wizard got so much focus on its primary runes, but with the witch doctor, it feels like someone is trying to pull an early April fools joke.. :(

Overall the witch doctor compared to all other classes still feels very unbalanced. Many ability's damage numbers are far from what they should be, or some abilities cost more mana then they should. I hope this class gets more attention in the near future. Please Blizzard I like the W.D, but still works around cookie cutter builds.

Depends on your gear ive seen some NASTY WD streams lately so and you only talking with experience of ros hasnt even dropped.,.Wait till a few months later to talk after we get our hands on level 70 gear
Are you guys SERIOUS? WD offers SO much utility. Voodoo? Hex? Pirhannas (20% Dmg increase).
Youtube ACID BARGGE I use it and it works well
One Zombie wall rune has an effing taunt, how is that garbage in any capacity

furthermore a pet build works rather well with rain of toads/fetish passive, if you get the legendary that makes your fetish army last until they die fetish army works wonders along with the passive.
I was looking forward to be able to play with my wd again but few days after patch I was back to farming with my barb just because they are so much more efficient. I will try again in ros.. Fingers crossed.
addling toads make big mobs and elites fight each toehr, put the 18 sec locust swarm on them and then spam corpse explosion, use the circle of life trick i said before and replace zombie dog spellw ith hex -angry chicken! nothing stands in my way lol
I main a WD and while I can understand what the OP is saying I do not agree. WD's are very versatile. I feel that they can really switch up multiple builds depending on what gear you find.

2 Things, 1 is that you are also a relatively new player and probably just to focused on farming. Secondly, try this build out for bosses. I believe you will like it a lot..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ScUPTQ!VUW!Ybabbb

Don't get me wrong, I would love some changes to the WD but having played all the characters for quite a long time, WD is still my favorite by far!
Trust me guys he trolling. Ive seen some insane stuff lately
03/20/2014 01:40 PMPosted by Pakalika
I don't even do bats anymore. At least on my wd it does 1/3 of the damage it did pre 2.0 and the densities aren't high enough to make the smaller damage radius useful.

Used to use acid cloud in hc pre mp, for it's loh benifits. But since mp came along and even more so with 2.0 paragon.....hc is unplayable. There is no risk anymore.

If you want an army build (zombie dog usefulness) you'll need the loot that increases follower damage. The wd helm for example increases pet damage by up to 100 percent, maybe the ring that gives you one gargantuan dog maybe? I found a few but haven't used them in any builds.

I don't remember the last time I ever used a primary ability other than in combination with vision quest for mana regen.

Or maybe Im an old dog who can't learn new tricks. Doubt it but it is possible.

So bascially zombie dogs damage numbers are only good if you have the right gear...the skill alone is weak for dps.
Zombie dogs aren't meant to be a huge dps increase, but they are awesome for tanking/distraction and if you use the burning dogs rune its really nice considering its just a constant, passive form of dps.

Couldn't agree more on Mass Confusion though... I don't understand it. Like Monk's get Blinding Flash on what a 15 second cooldown? Not to mention it's a 100% chance to blind - half the mobs you MC don't even get confused.

I think WDs are "ok" right now, certain builds are very strong but there are TONS of skills/runes that are just plain useless.
I think the big issue i have with WD's (and pretty much every class) is their primaries suck. They do too little damage.

Too bad cuse i really like Firebomb, but it's dmg is awful.