Upcoming Hotfixes - 3/21/14

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 11 12 13 49 Next
Can we have a list of monsters in all the area's that are considered lower health mobs. So then we will know what part of the game to never play or go into. The least you can do is provide that list instead of us having to figure out what part of the game should never ever be farmed again.

I look forward to never killing a low health pool mob again because there is no reward.

Thanks loyal Diablo fan.
I am so tempted to cancel my preorder and tell them what I think, but I don't know if I want to get banned.
I love how there's no time frame to buff our drops from chests but the time frame to nerf us is apparently so important it warrants immediate hot fixes.
I actually agree with Droth on this on two fronts.. .

1.) Do some of you actually believe starting some several thousand games every few seconds does
not cause server latency or related issues. Really? The mysterious latency and server
disconnects over the last several weeks have no relation to constant game creation and deletion?

2.) I do not believe short runs should be the most rewarding experience. When I say short I am talking sub 90 second runs. I agree this is bad for the game as a whole. The player should be immersed in game for as long as they are able to play.

Having to shut down and creat a game every 2 minutes to reep maximum benefit and reward is neither emmersive or good gameplay desing. What game designer wants people to actually have to leave the game and go to menu for the best chance at levels.

I think Droth in this case is indeed looking into the future longevity and fun of this game. Many gamers and many of you would soon burn out and become very frustrated if the game stayed this way..
Where to farm now? An area with low mob density should be best then... oh, wait, FoM!!!! xD
03/21/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Gid
What game designer wants

It should never be about what the game Designer wants. They should deliver what the gamer wants. I wish people could understand that.
I find in many ways, the new Blizzard's attitude bemusing. It's as though they take to extremes the broadscale, anti-consumer policies that you occasionally see in other games glorifying some grand and perfect plan that the players never encounter. However, the most confusing part of this is that such treatment is normally specific, or at least generally found in, highly competitive PVP games with minimal or no PVE content.

Honestly, even by my usual assumptions of Blizzard's activities I have to admit this one is not what I expected. CotA being destroyed? It was expected. Using it to justify a weighty reduction in player XP reward was less so.

As far as the set items bit, it brings to mind genies and wishes. If a sickly child was to wish to be the greatest baseball player in the world, there are two possible results. Making the child better at baseball, or making everyone else worse. This is perhaps a good emblem for the problem solving philosophy with which we're inflicted in this game.
I actually agree with Droth on this on two fronts.. .

1.) Do some of you actually believe starting some several thousand games every few seconds does
not cause server latency or related issues. Really? The mysterious latency and server
disconnects over the last several weeks have no relation to constant game creation and deletion?

2.) I do not believe short runs should be the most rewarding experience. When I say short I am talking sub 90 second runs. I agree this is bad for the game as a whole. The player should be immersed in game for as long as they are able to play.

Having to shut down and creat a game every 2 minutes to reep maximum benefit and reward is neither emmersive or good gameplay desing. What game designer wants people to actually have to leave the game and go to menu for the best chance at levels.

I think Droth in this case is indeed looking into the future longevity and fun of this game. Many gamers and many of you would soon burn out and become very frustrated if the game stayed this way..

You said it yourself, the short runs are not good game design. Increase the benefit of playing the rest of the game then. Guaranteed legendary at each ACT boss. Swap monster and chest drop rates. Increase quest XP after resetting. BAM game fixed.
Good job Dev, I knew it was important to differentiate even the higher tier difficulties by loot, bound to happen makes sense. You can all go home now today! :P
I think there needs to be less whine on this.
Obviously over-farming groups of mobs which were being exploited, as well as cheesing it through normal to get some of the current best items in the game wasn't going to last!

I completely agree with the changes to sets, now I know playing torment is incentivised with chances that you don't get in the lower difficulties (I mean, really? How bored can you be to farm normal with a geared up character anyway.) :-)

In the long run it doesn't matter, the QQ on these forums will progress to another topic in 3 days.
See you at launch!
I agree, I'd like a list of what mobs(in general, not a list of specific mobs, cause I have a feeling that would be a HUGE list) actually are now giving less experience. I'm not raging about CotA, because I only ran it when I had a short time to play or felt like doing short runs, NOT because it was the fastest/efficient way to level. I'm more concerned about my Keep Depths 2 runs that I do, or if I decide to run the walls in Act 3, or even Festering Woods in Act 1. Are the normal mobs in these areas going to have reduced XP as well?
03/21/2014 03:58 PMPosted by Abomb247
Can we have a list of monsters in all the area's that are considered lower health mobs. So then we will know what part of the game to never play or go into. The least you can do is provide that list instead of us having to figure out what part of the game should never ever be farmed again.

I look forward to never killing a low health pool mob again because there is no reward.

Thanks loyal Diablo fan.

That is some awesome drama queening right there.

There have been several spots that people have targeted since the patch and those spots have been nerfed. The intention is that you can play any part of the game and not be at a significant disadvantage. Things like CotA or other exploitable spots are BAD FOR THE GAME. So rather than just wait for people to find a new spot like CotA they just did a blanket nerf on things that meet the criteria for being broken. That's how they SHOULD fix the problem. And yes, things like CotA are definitely a problem. They encourage people to chain run one part of the game and never anything else, that is not healthy for the game.

Would I have liked it a lot more if these changes were in the big patch instead of later? Yes. But they're still necessary changes.

You should be upset that the exploitative areas existed in the first place, not that they've been fixed.

03/21/2014 04:08 PMPosted by Supernose
I agree, I'd like a list of what mobs(in general, not a list of specific mobs, cause I have a feeling that would be a HUGE list) actually are now giving less experience. I'm not raging about CotA, because I only ran it when I had a short time to play or felt like doing short runs, NOT because it was the fastest/efficient way to level. I'm more concerned about my Keep Depths 2 runs that I do, or if I decide to run the walls in Act 3, or even Festering Woods in Act 1. Are the normal mobs in these areas going to have reduced XP as well?

No, it's things like the little spiders in Caverns (Act 1), the swarming skeletons in CotA (and one would assume the cathedral ones as well.) the Scorpion/Spider things in Act 3 that are before Azmodan, Probably the little black things that burst out of the corruption in Act 4/Swarm you in the rifts. Things that swarm you and have like no HP so they die before they even get to you.
03/21/2014 04:03 PMPosted by Abomb247
What game designer wants

It should never be about what the game Designer wants. They should deliver what the gamer wants. I wish people could understand that.

No they really should NOT deliver what the gamer wants. This is why you have several developers for several successful companies who have over the years stated that the gamers do not know what they want. This is why you can have people on these forums screaming that they want something that's more like D2 and how unhappy they are with D3, but when a certain F2P ARPG that is very much the spiritual successor to D2 was released recently it's pretty much dead already. When you give the gamer what the gamer thinks they want, it's often not well received or doesn't have any longevity.
03/21/2014 12:56 PMPosted by Nevalistis
The class sets weren't designed as a progression, but rather as a lateral choice between different play styles.

So if sets were engineered to present a viable alternative in their play styles to break up the monotony of how they've been playing, I think we can safely assume that despite being moved to T1, in their interest of the mechanism that has been espoused here, they won't be nearly impossible to acquire, right?
"It should never be about what the game Designer wants. They should deliver what the gamer wants. I wish people could understand that."

I wish people would understand that there are many gamers and they want many different things from day to day and game to game.

One cannot listen to a million voices and expect a coherent vision much less a game. I will concede to your point though. I should have rather asked if this is a gameplay you want. Do you want to have to leave a game every 2 minutes to actually get the maximum benefit?
03/21/2014 04:08 PMPosted by Wakil
No, it's things like the little spiders in Caverns (Act 1), the swarming skeletons in CotA (and one would assume the cathedral ones as well.) the Scorpion/Spider things in Act 3 that are before Azmodan, Probably the little black things that burst out of the corruption in Act 4/Swarm you in the rifts. Things that swarm you and have like no HP so they die before they even get to you.

Ahhh, I appreciate the response. So if this is the case, why is everyone freaking out? I don't know of anything that fits your description in CotA.
You want to kill the short runs, then why did you kill Nephalem Valor?
In rifts there are all kinds of mobs, in high density. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem in RoS I believe. Also, xp awarded from bounties is good. And at level 70 you will have godly gear in comparison to now, so T1 will be easy-peasy to play and to get those sets.

Blizzard is making changes under supposition that everyone will buy RoS.
Just look at the new passives, so good. And if you don't have expansion, you'll just watch at this marvelous passives and wish you got access, then eventually buy you'll buy it.
03/21/2014 04:15 PMPosted by TheWatcher
In rifts there are all kinds of mobs, in high density. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem in RoS I believe. Also, xp awarded from bounties is good. And at level 70 you will have godly gear in comparison to now, so T1 will be easy-peasy to play and to get those sets.

Blizzard is making changes under supposition that everyone will buy RoS.
Just look at the new passives, so good. And if you don't have expansion, you'll just watch at this marvelous passives and wish you got access, then eventually buy you'll buy it.

I'd totally love to see a source for all the changes coming in RoS about skills and stuff that haven't been touched yet. I'd appreciate it. ^-^
03/21/2014 04:03 PMPosted by Abomb247
[quote="121848321134"]What game designer wants

but when a certain F2P ARPG that is very much the spiritual successor to D2 was released recently it's pretty much dead already. When you give the gamer what the gamer thinks they want, it's often not well received or doesn't have any longevity.

Ever wonder if some of that is because they NERFED a lot of the good builds every once in a while, and people got sick of re-rolling? Sound familiar?

Diablo 2 Median XL is a good example of "for the gamer" and it was one of the best experiences in D2.