Game will NOT install from disc

Technical Support
I did not buy the game from the store so that it could try and patch its self from the internet. I have a monthly bandwidth limit and do not want to download GB's from your servers when I have a disc in the drive with the main game files.

When I relaunch from the disc installer all it does it launch the new battle.net launcher which tries to download from the fricking internet. I am pissed.

The launcher does not start if I disconnect my internet. Who designed this?
Fireseal,

I looked over your account history and the last login into Diablo III was back in August. Since then, there have been new patches, which also included an optimization patch that was needed prior to installing the RoS files. If those were not downloaded before, they are not going to be installed by the disk because the disk only covers RoS data. Even then, most people didn't need the disk because the RoS files should have been installed prior to launch as long as the Diablo III client was kept up to date.

When I relaunch from the disc installer all it does it launch the new battle.net launcher which tries to download from the fricking internet.

This is normal since the Battle.net launcher is required to launch Diablo III. The box also states that an internet connection is required to play this game.

The launcher does not start if I disconnect my internet.

That is working as intended. As I mentioned above, Diablo III and the launcher require an internet connection in order to be able to launch and play the game.

Got some feedback?
cant install Reaper of soul from disk (DVD)......
Crossed into optimal, 2.8GB remaining, 6 billion bytes downloaded (off my network connection display). No disc activity at all.

Your warning then should say that 8+ GB of download is required and that primary update will not come from the disc. Such a waste.

I did not install any of the earlier patches because I knew it was the expansion data, and I wanted to just install it off the disc (like I have in many other expansion games) since I had no plans to play the game in the meantime anyway.

I don't mean to be complaining to forum support since I know you have nothing to do with it, but I am not pleased with blizzard installation and patching - they obviously didn't given a shat when they developed this.
So I have like 11.50gigs of updates from the PTR: Diablo III thing, does that mean I have to download that entire 11.50gb of patch before I can install RoS using the disc? How big is this game? 11gigs of patch + another 25 on the installation? I wish I knew about this previously, kind of useless buying a hardcopy to download when I still have to spend hours patching
jjames77,

does that mean I have to download that entire 11.50gb of patch before I can install RoS using the disc?

I'm not sure, how big is your Diablo III folder for the retail version, not the PTR?

How big is this game?

My game folder is currently 19.6gb. That's after a fresh install of Diablo III and RoS.

Got some feedback?
Mine is doing the same thing. I logged in and played a month ago. What is the point of buying a hard copy if I have to download 8 gb of data? I bought the DVD to avoid this.
I have to download a full 25 Gigs of data before I can play.

Thinking maybe that I will have to give this a skip.
Have the same problem while I understand that you need an internet connection to play etc 25 gig is a whole lot more than is really practical - good people of blizzard tell me that there is a reasonable solution
10/25/2014 03:49 AMPosted by FightingGram
Have the same problem while I understand that you need an internet connection to play etc 25 gig is a whole lot more than is really practical - good people of blizzard tell me that there is a reasonable solution

Almost all the game files have to be downloaded these days so there is no real way around it...exactly. The one option is to find a friend who has the game, copy the Diablo 3 directory from program files on their PC onto an external drive and then paste it into your Program files on your PC.

I keep a backup of my Blizzard games on a large external drive just in case I have to re-install. That way I only need to install the launcher and the paste the games onto the PC. Saves tons of time and bandwidth.
so diablo 3 downloads insted of installs so it takes data
07/23/2015 05:15 AMPosted by joshua420
so diablo 3 downloads insted of installs so it takes data

Yes, unless you copy the game onto a USB drive, you will have to download it. The files on the DVDs are very old and outdated. They don't even use the same file system for the game anymore. If you don't have a friend with a current copy of the game you can put on USB, you are going to have to download it.
i bought the disk just this morning and ive put in the code in battle.net but its still saying it has a problem launching a program
1. With the disk in hand go to your battle.net account here on the website. You only need the disk for the key on it. Otherwise don't use it for anything.

2. Verify your D3 edition is at least D3 Standard, or RoS Standard. If not, add the game key. https://us.battle.net/account/management/claim-code.html

3. Ensure you have the new Battle.net Desktop Application (Launcher). You can download it from Acct mgt if you don't have it. https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/?show=bnetapp

4. Once you have that, click the D3 tab and look at the button there. If you need to install the game it will say Install. Wait until it is completely done before trying to play.

If you still have issues launching you need to be sure you are connected to the internet and that your security software allows Agent and D3 to access the internet.
Just bought D3, so the installation disk is just to install battlenet? all files are being downloaded online? Is there a way to install from the physical disk since my bandwidth is limited?
05/10/2016 01:46 AMPosted by BossDwight
Just bought D3, so the installation disk is just to install battlenet? all files are being downloaded online? Is there a way to install from the physical disk since my bandwidth is limited?

I am sorry but those files are years old and no longer used by the game. They changed the file format for all game assets about a year ago. Even the launcher on there is outdated. The only way around a download is to copy the game files to a USB drive. If you know someone with the ability to grab the game for you that is the best option. They don't need to buy the game to accomplish that. Just have them download the free starter edition, it actually has all the game files. Blizzard does not make multiple game versions, they just make one then lock the content until the proper game key is on your bnet account.

You will still need to get the battle.net desktop application, but that is a much smaller download.
I bought the game disc installer from a gaming store, but my disc drive does'nt work. Is there any other way to install the game? ( I have the Authentication key )
Sure:
https://us.battle.net/account/management/claim-code.html
Enter the key, activate the game that way and download the game through the Battle.net client.

By the way, why necro a three year old thread that had nothing to do with your question?
You can fully install Diablo III using the Blizzard (BattleNet) application without even owning a battlenet account. When prompted to login one can choose offline mode which will disable all account features but still allows one to install the games using the internet. I did this the other day to prepare someones computer system to play the game after an OS reset without having to use either mine or their account. They just had to login and it was ready to play.

You still need appropriate keys attached to an account to fully play Diablo III.
10/25/2014 07:58 AMPosted by MissCheetah
10/25/2014 03:49 AMPosted by FightingGram

Almost all the game files have to be downloaded these days so there is no real way around it...exactly. The one option is to find a friend who has the game, copy the Diablo 3 directory from program files on their PC onto an external drive and then paste it into your Program files on your PC.

I keep a backup of my Blizzard games on a large external drive just in case I have to re-install. That way I only need to install the launcher and the paste the games onto the PC. Saves tons of time and bandwidth.

I cant believe you work for blizzard, this have no sense, the DVD is USELESS then stop selling the DVDs! You want people to download 12Gb of data to start playing when most of the files are on the DVD, i cant believe your solution is to "copy the game from a friend". I have around 8 Gbs of data from the game on that DVD and the blizzard app just want to DOWNLOAD everything instead of TAKING THE DATA FROM THE DVD. Ugh you guys are terrible, i know about updates but the updates can be installed BEFORE the main files are installed RIGHT? You should stop selling the physical game because its USELESS you will have to download the entire game from the app no matter what.