New difficulties disturbingly easy?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
So I decided to make my first new character since 2.0, a Crusader, and have been relatively shocked at how easy they've made the game.

Considering myself a bit of a Diablo veteran, I started on hard. Well this was pretty much a breeze, so I upped it to expert at level 10. By level 20 I had found a few good rares and 2 legendaries, so my damage went up pretty quickly. By level 25 I was already bored and ready for Master, where I still rarely die and clear quickly.

So now at level 30 I'm already on the verge of Torment, is this a joke? When D3 first launched, I remember Nightmare being hard. Now I'm technically 2 steps ahead of it, at the same level, and it's barely a challenge. Going into torment should be like going into inferno, but I doubt it's even going to be close. I've basically made the game as hard as reasonably possible until I hit max level now, so there's pretty much no difficulty progression left until 70.
Difficulty is not the way it used to be. Used to be that normal was for like 0-30, hard was 30-50, and Hell above that. That's how D2 and early D3 were.

Now monsters scale with you. So all difficulties are viable for all character levels, assuming you have the gear for it.
I'm not sure but try Act V Torment 1 with your level 60 gears. You might enjoy it.
Yup, you'll be on Torment 6 by level 50... (Don't tell him guys)
I'm aware that once you hit Act 5 the game changes, but why? Why should the first 4 acts be nothing anymore. I remember being stuck on hell belial for days, inferno was even worse. Now all the old content is a joke, even for new characters.
03/25/2014 07:11 PMPosted by SteelReign
I'm aware that once you hit Act 5 the game changes, but why? Why should the first 4 acts be nothing anymore. I remember being stuck on hell belial for days, inferno was even worse. Now all the old content is a joke, even for new characters.

uhh no... it is once you hit level 60 the game changes...

Monsters scale with your level now...
Again - you can't compare hell/inferno to the current difficulties. They are completely different systems. Used to be there was no way you could last ten seconds on Hard with a level 10. Now you can, because the difficulty stems both from your selection AND from the fact that the monsters level with you. It has nothing to do with your act. It has everything to do with your gear and the level of the monsters you face.
Yeah, that's how I'm finding it. Acts 1-4 easy, Act 5, the difficulty curve ramps up quickly out of nowhere. I'd like the game to ramp up from the start, not just Act 5.
I don't even know why you're complaining about this. If it's too easy, make it harder, if it's too hard make it easy.
03/25/2014 07:19 PMPosted by Tamnier
I don't even know why you're complaining about this. If it's too easy, make it harder, if it's too hard make it easy.

/thread
03/25/2014 07:19 PMPosted by Tamnier

Because I enjoyed an actual progression. Now I'm pretty much fighting the exact same strength enemies until I can hoard enough gear to make an entire difficulty jump. Before, there was a small progression in difficulty, and a moderate jump between normal/night/hell/inferno (much more so on inferno).

This creates pockets between being able to jump up difficulties where content becomes much less challenging, but the next tier because too hard to progress.
The difficulty system now is very different from previous iterations, primarily because enemies now level along with you (where previously their levels were static across difficulty settings). While leveling, moving up to a higher difficulty should be a way for you to tailor what's comfortable for you, and some players find the higher difficulties better suited to their style of play (or level of gear they've acquired).

You'll find the difficulties interact a little differently once you reach level cap, since monsters no longer get progressively harder as you gain Paragon levels. It’s likely that you’ll lower your difficulty as you get closer to cap. Once you reach 70, over time as you acquire more gear you’ll find yourself ascending through difficulties again. I know some of you are super pro and might be able to tackle harder difficulties from the get-go, but that just highlights what’s different about this new system – it’s much easier to tailor to your play style as well as level of skill and gear.
03/25/2014 08:18 PMPosted by Nevalistis
The difficulty system now is very different from previous iterations, primarily because enemies now level along with you (where previously their levels were static across difficulty settings). While leveling, moving up to a higher difficulty should be a way for you to tailor what's comfortable for you, and some players find the higher difficulties better suited to their style of play (or level of gear they've acquired).

You'll find the difficulties interact a little differently once you reach level cap, since monsters no longer get progressively harder as you gain Paragon levels. It’s likely that you’ll lower your difficulty as you get closer to cap. Once you reach 70, over time as you acquire more gear you’ll find yourself ascending through difficulties again. I know some of you are super pro and might be able to tackle harder difficulties from the get-go, but that just highlights what’s different about this new system – it’s much easier to tailor to your play style as well as level of skill and gear.

Definitely seems to work out that way. (nice to know that was intended.)
I've taken to defaulting to Master on new characters since if I find myself hitting a wall I can always tone it down a bit.
But having recently leveled my HC chr to 60, I can say the new system isn't FUN. And ultimately, isn't that the point?

At any point in my leveling curve, it would take 3-4 hits to kill a mob. Eventually the Loot Ghods would smile upon me, I'd get 3-4 new pieces of gear, and TRADITIONALLY would now go unleash holy terror on my foes! Easily 1-2 shot'ing my enemies and watching them tremble at my might!!! Until I progressed a little farther, the new mobs "caught up" to me in power... and so on as you keep fighting harder enemies and getting new loot.

But it doesn't work like that now. Now it takes 3-4 hits, you get new gear, behind the scenes everything levels up with you and now ... it STILL takes 3-4 hits to kill stuff. End result is getting new gear means nothing. Seen in context, I have a 10dps weapon against a 100 health mob, I then get a 100dps weapon and the mob jumps to 1000 health. Nothing changed. You don't feel powerful. There isn't a sense of accomplishment. From 1-60 I just sorta felt ... decent. Despite having all yellows and oranges and making huge jumps in my dps.

Playing on HC and not wanting to play with the diff slider too much may have altered my example, but I don't see how it affects the underlying problem with dynamic mob scaling. When do you get to feel a like a complete badass? After 800 hours of mindless grinding? gee, what fun. :|
started Torment2 with level 60 character(165 paragon) and as i got closer to level 70 (at 68) the mobs hit points and damage have gotten extreme...totally hit a wall!!! backed off to Torment 1...then backed off to master level...cant even enjoy the game now..WAY TO GO GUYS!@!!! played all day only to find myself totally disappointed and eventually QUIT in total disgust. i thought this was beta tested???????????????????????????????
VanHelsing. I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious, but your equipments are all level 60. It's great that you're able to get to 68 without switching; however, you should start using lvl 66 or higher rares as upgrade. Again, well done with surviving to level 68 with your 600k toughness, but you need better gear now. Sorry bro.
03/25/2014 08:53 PMPosted by VanHelsing
started Torment2 with level 60 character(165 paragon) and as i got closer to level 70 (at 68) the mobs hit points and damage have gotten extreme...totally hit a wall!!! backed off to Torment 1...then backed off to master level...cant even enjoy the game now..WAY TO GO GUYS!@!!! played all day only to find myself totally disappointed and eventually QUIT in total disgust. i thought this was beta tested???????????????????????????????
read the description of difficulties levels lol ofc you cant fight torment 70 elites with level 60 gear
started Torment2 with level 60 character(165 paragon) and as i got closer to level 70 (at 68) the mobs hit points and damage have gotten extreme...totally hit a wall!!! backed off to Torment 1...then backed off to master level...cant even enjoy the game now..

Srsly?
03/25/2014 09:01 PMPosted by zCaptainZero
started Torment2 with level 60 character(165 paragon) and as i got closer to level 70 (at 68) the mobs hit points and damage have gotten extreme...totally hit a wall!!! backed off to Torment 1...then backed off to master level...cant even enjoy the game now..

Srsly?

^this

Most stupid post ever