Blood Shards and Kadala = Why? Pointless!

Items and Crafting
On a character freshly hitting 70 what I used her for, was pretty much picking up level 70 gear I don't have the crafting mats for, and seem to be having difficulty looting. Still haven't gotten a legendary from her in the forty or so items though.
After 254 bought items, 0 legendaries. I don't even call it gambling. There's nothing exciting there anymore. It feels like throwing money away for lottery, as 75% of legendaries won't be good anyway.

Unfortunately much better yet boring ways of getting legendaries easier still exist.
Well she just got a hotfix to GREATLY increase her legendary chance so you can stop saying she's pointless now. Basically free items before anyway why wouldn't you use them??
03/28/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Flexyana
To me it seems that Kadala gives about the same items you can farm anyway by just playing the game, average yellows and maybe if you're super lucky a legendary.

I really don't see the point running rifts and earning shards and then to get a "reward" which is pretty much the same I can get running any random act and killing whatever random monsters.

Seriously, couldn't you come up with something better as a reward for blood shards, this is BEYOND silly.

i mostly run the rifts for the forgotten souls so i can re roll the GG's B)
I believe the blood shards are altogether useless. Why not just let us gamble with gold? What other purpose does gold offer? None. I've seen youtube vid's of people with BILLIONS of gold, not millions, but billions and nothing to spend it on! I get Legendary's on a steady consistency of maybe 1 per 10-12 purchases from her so no complaint there. My gripe is, can I PLEASE vendor off my junk to Kadala?! I know she's a blood shard merchant but why not let me sell those worthless yellows to her? Why must I go to another merchant just to sell HER crap?! Let her take back her crappy yellows so I can get on my mundane GRift farming, which consists of only gem upgrading because who needs MORE yellows? At least drop more blues damnit. D3 is for the most part a single player game now so why keep super frustrating elements in play? Let me vendor off my junk to Kadala, remove the 30 second timer from rifts, and speed the gem upgrade process up, Urshi is too damn slow. Click, done, click, done, click done, bounce, start over. Gripe extended! Just remove all the penalties, punishments, timers, the waiting, all of it. Like I mentioned...single player experience. I don't need to feel restricted, delayed, held back, like I'm in some damn competition.
You get bonus tries at targeted item types... something you can't get from farming. It's not great, but it's better than nothing.
I get legs from Kadala all the time and imo she is not worthless. She's like double legs, run your gr (or rift) and get the gr drops, collect your shards and then hit Kadala up after gr and get some legs. Works just fine for me. :)
03/28/2014 04:37 PMPosted by Liquid
There need to be a safety net behind the buying, like each time you buy 1 item the chance to be a legendary goes up by 0,1% or something like that.
Or that if you didnt get a legendary after 500 buys you get it 100%.

Kadala's leg rate last I heard was 10%. The odds of not getting a leg in 500 buys is 0.9 to the 500th power.

Either you are the most unlucky person ever, a great exaggerator, totally clueless, or were being sarcastic in a very dry ironic style.
i just use Kadala as a chance for forgotten souls. or a lucky ancient. i did notice that i get torment only sets on normal, though.
03/28/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Flexyana
To me it seems that Kadala gives about the same items you can farm anyway by just playing the game, average yellows and maybe if you're super lucky a legendary.

I really don't see the point running rifts and earning shards and then to get a "reward" which is pretty much the same I can get running any random act and killing whatever random monsters.

Seriously, couldn't you come up with something better as a reward for blood shards, this is BEYOND silly.

Lucky for you no one forces you to do rifts and spend blood shards at kadala's. If spending shards at kadalas is such an issue, don't use her and get your items the regular way, the rest of us will use her to get legendaries
Its because you can target certain types of items. It takes just a tiny bit of the multiple layers or RNG away.

View profile

i just use Kadala as a chance for forgotten souls. or a lucky ancient. i did notice that i get torment only sets on normal, though.

Kadala can give Torment only items when in a normal game dude. That's been that way for a while now man.
Kadala is indeed gambling, but at the advantage of not costing gold - like her predecessor, Gheed - which just lead to gold farming. By creating the blood shard currency, Blizz can control the access and rate of drop of legendaries somewhat.

They recognize that RNG is a cruel mistress. They want you playing the game for your legendaries, but you're up against RNG for slot, RNG for ancient or not, RNG for which legendary gets picked, and RNG for which stats you get. It's a lot to deal with.

Kadala lets you control which slot you're fishing for. It reduces the the RNG factor by about 10x.

They recognize that Kadala sucks too, so they're adding in another mechanism in 2.3 - Kanai's Cube. You can save those crap yellows you get from Kadala and reroll them for more chances at the legendaries you want. Provided you're saving your crafting mats, this should help significantly with targeted item hunting.

I'm very interested to see if the Cube helps alleviate some of the craziness with some of the uber-rare weapons, like Furnace, Serpents Sparker, Calamity, or SMK. You shouldn't have to invest hundreds of hours just to see one instance of an item dropping, imo, not with Loot 2.0 and no trading, not with item-based builds defining your end-game. They need to at least make the gear accessible, then let min-maxing the stats fuel the on-going item hunt.
07/21/2015 11:30 PMPosted by DrFeltermuff

View profile

Kadala can give Torment only items when in a normal game dude. That's been that way for a while now man.

well, i didnt know that blizzard would make torment completely and utterly useless, then...
She's a total waste of time. Just more RNG. They could dump her as far as I'm concerned--or at least allow us to give our shards away.
I couldn't seem to find an ancient Tals belt or helm. After spending a couple thousand blood shards I got both. This didn't take long, grind GR 40-42 and you can get a thousand shards in a hour, most likely more if you can face roll it.

I think the gambling system is fine and a nice addition to the game that helps with bad RNG.
With upcoming Kanai's cube, Kadala will be one of the sources from where you get your yellow base items, then you use the cube to upgrade them to legendaries. It will definitely be easier to get what you need. Just save up on whatever rares that you need specifically (usually weapons), upgrade, then you might just get the base item you need.

From there, do as many bounties as needed and accumulate materials to spam on reforge to get the rolls you need (ancient and w/e).

It might take two weeks, might take a month, but at least you know you will be on the right track.
So I'm sure a few of the level-headed people who aren't just Kadala haters on this thread already pointed this out, but I'm not bothering to read all of what they said on a simple subject. I read a few that said "she's totally worthless rng crap" and others that say she's helpful, but I read enough to know that both sides (ie, smart and dumb) are represented.

She has a lot of use in her current state, but I agree with OP that they could come up with more things to use shards on. For example, if you have 4/6 pieces for a set, or 5/6, then you can use her to target whichever set piece you don't have yet rather than just playing nonstop with a gimped build and hoping for one to drop eventually. And it's similar when you have a full set but you want to target which ones you're looking to upgrade; so let's just say that 4/6 of your set items are ancient and you want to target the 2 which aren't ancient, or a few of them could use better stats, etc. So IMO, she's pretty helpful even as she is currently, and blood shards aren't wasted.
All these people talking about balance like 80% of console players aren't modding. I'll take free legendaries if it means people will stop modding. The RNG convinces them to do it....