[Affix Bug] "+%Damage" and "+(X-Y)<element>"

Bug Report
1 2 3 13 Next
Hey there,

I am sure this bug is known as it has been around since beta but it's really starting to become a problem with the AH no longer existing to fix the problem.

The problem --
On weapons, the affix "+X% Damage" does not affect the affix "+(A-B)<Element> Damage" when <Element> is anything other than "black" or "no-element" damage.

This causes the +X% damage affix to under perform in almost all cases.

Take the item Wildwood as an example --
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wildwood

This item rolls with +(A-B) Poison Damage & +X% Damage

Because +X% Damage does not work with +(A-B) Poison Damage, this weapon will consistently have lower DPS than if it had +(A-B) Physical Damage with the exact same range.

I am sure this is not intended but it's causing a lot of strife when people re-roll their weapon primary to +10% Damage and DO NOT see a 10% increase in weapon DPS.

It also HIGHLY undervalues all +(A-B)<Element> Damage affixes that don't happen to roll as Physical or Black damage which should not be the case. A player should not be penalized for having a Fire weapon simply because the +X% Damage affix is bugged.

The Solution --
This one is extremely simple ... make +X% Damage apply to ALL elements not just Physical/Black damage.

Note --
I am certain you care a LOT less about this as you have removed the affix from the game for RoS items ... but the affix "Adds +X% to <element> damage" as found on 1.0.8 SoJ's, Inna's Belts ... ect. ALSO only affects Black or Physical Weapon damage causing these items to increase your DPS by FAR less than would be intuitive.

I know this affix is pretty non-intuitive to begin with and so it has been removed ... but fixing it wouldn't HURT my feelings! :D

Anyways ... thanks!

<3
I agree, this is outrageous!
I agree. When I removed 10% damage from an elemental weapon it dropped from like 1900 dps to 1850 dps, making the 10% roll on elemental damage weapons a pretty troll roll. This also highly over-values black damage weapons, which is disappointing since there are so many cool weapons that only roll elemental.
I hope something will get done about this.
Not intuitive at all for the damage to work this way. Consistency would be nice!
/facepalm @blizz
Interesting. Hopefully gets resolved at some point.
Another problem with this bug is, that if you get a black damage weapon and happen to get a socket and 10% weapon damage and you decide to reroll the damage range, you may end up lowering your dps by quite a bunch if you change from black damage to elemental damage.
Nothing?
Up up up!
I wish they would let us know if it's a bug or intentional. That all. Just poke their heads in and say hey were here your screwed.
What gets me the most is had this been a thread about can torment only gear drop in normal they'd have responded 10 times by now.
04/02/2014 10:00 AMPosted by riggy
I wish they would let us know if it's a bug or intentional. That all. Just poke their heads in and say hey were here your screwed.

If this is working as intended, I will eat my own foot.

This is as clear of a bug as I have ever seen! :D

As a game designer, if someone told me "yea and then elemental damage will just be worse arbitrarily!" I would punch them in the face! lol!
Ya it would seem that way. Yet it's been around since the beta and it's not on any of the known bug lists and they are completely ignoring it. If not a bug then pure laziness?
04/02/2014 10:18 AMPosted by riggy
Ya it would seem that way. Yet it's been around since the beta and it's not on any of the known bug lists and they are completely ignoring it. If not a bug then pure laziness?

It was a VERY unimportant factor for a while due to a completely different bug that caused black-damage weapons to be strictly better than ele weapons.

Once they fixed THAT bug (only in loot 2.0) this bug suddenly jumped to the forefront.

So, while it has been around for ages, it hasn't mattered for very long.

Additionally, we never know exactly how messed up the coding for a specific mechanic is. Sometimes it's an easy variable change, sometimes it's a persistent code-block that was reused or called several or many times that will have broad sweeping effects if changed and thus requires many hours of work to change, evaluate then implement.

So, they may still be trying to figure out why it happens / how to fix it!
I wish they would let us know if it's a bug or intentional.

Definitely not intentional.

We are currently working on a fix for this and hope to have it out to you guys as soon as possible. I can't really make promises as to when or how (patch or hotfix) said fix will arrive but it's something we are aware of and are working on.

Thanks for the report, Druin (and everyone else!)
Ive been searching all over looking for an answer.definitely think this affix needs some clarity
04/02/2014 03:07 PMPosted by Tsarnis
I wish they would let us know if it's a bug or intentional.

Definitely not intentional.

We are currently working on a fix for this and hope to have it out to you guys as soon as possible. I can't really make promises as to when or how (patch or hotfix) said fix will arrive but it's something we are aware of and are working on.

Thanks for the report, Druin (and everyone else!)

Wow, looks like a massive DPS buff incoming for weapons with that affix. Cool!
I have a related concern that is specific to the legendary doombringer.

It rolls +physical skills but if it rolls elemental damage (1100-1400 poison damage for instance) ALL physical skill will inherit the poison property of the weapon rendering the mandatory passive +physical damage useless.
Hey mr. Druin, I was gone but now I´m half-way back and weapon damage calculation has been on of my biggest concerns ever since the minmax damage issue, so this thread caught my attention.

Check my new game mechanics spreadsheet, in particular #33 damage formula

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Avxzyy5pHlsZdDZoVzNQeVl3XzA3bExpdk5yTVdaV1E&output=html

link to barb forums thread
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12329703286

I´ve read what Tsarnis stated but I don´t expect a fix that would make the affix grant a bonus to elemental weapon damage. Here is why.

weapon damage range order of calculation
1. base weapon damage
2. +xxxx-xxxx damage on the weapon itself
3. +xxx damage from a socketed ruby
4. *(1 + % enhanced damage/100)
5. +xx-xxx damage on jewelry and some off hands (mojo/orb)
6. *(1 + adds x% to elemental damage/100)
7. +xxxx-xxxx elemental damage on the weapon itself

There is no mess in the coding, this is simply how it works. The game has been calculating weapon damage like this since the beginning. They had years to adjust the order but they didn´t. As you can see, there are way too many calculation steps between the elements right now for them to change the order.

They simply won´t move the current #7 before #4, because they didn´t do it even when they attempted to fix the minmax damage "issue".

Here, I dug up Wyatt´s response to my "ask the devs" question from a year back
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569308133#3

They fixed the mimax damage issue in RoS by changing black +minimum and +maximum damage to +xxxx-xxxx (e.g. +1199-1490) damage just like all other elements. The game no longer has to care about min being > max damage and inflate it (although we the skill mechanics testers still utilize vanilla +minimum jewelry to get min=max weapon damage but that is off-topic).

They did not fix the poistioning of the "adds x% to elemental damage" portion of the bug that Wyatt mentioned. Why? Because they simply removed that affix from rolling on the new items so there is no longer a need for them to adjust anything. Also, removing the option to enchant vanilla items plays a big role in why "adds x% to" was left working like before. Additionally, they have a policy of not touching legacy items and changing the order of calculation would affect legacy items as well. Naturally people will equip new and better items that no longer have that affix.

Also, they won´t move the current #4 to the last position, because it would significantly increase its efficiency and no other roll could compete in that scenario. Any other adjustments would screw up the current damage balance they tried to attain for so long.

What´s left to do is spread the knowledge, that:
> +damage and % enhanced damage, yay
> +elemental damage and % enhanced damage, nay
:p

The simplest and cleanest solution would be removing the affix from the game altogether, now that:
> all +elemental weapon damage rolls are equal
> no element has any special effect and
> each skill turns all weapon damage into a particular element,
so there is no reason for the %damage stat to exist if it creates an imbalance between weapon elements and if any other option would produce a number of new issues.

In case someone reads this post, mind giving us more physical skill damage bonus items beside Doombringer? Andy, SoJ, amulet, bracers and Lidless Wall are shared by all elements.