Best Single-Target Build?

Crusader
Let's talk single-target builds in this thread.
Judgement/Resolve, Valor/Critical, Heaven's Fury/Blessed Ground, Akarat's Champ, Pick your poison for wrath generator/spendor based on what legendaries you're lucky enough to get.

If you wanted maximum damage, a weapon with holy damage and pick passives appropriately, though you will be rather squishy.
Short version: there is none

Long version:

Every cooldown that we have that works single target also works much better in group situations.

Every ability that we have with the exception of shield bash can be thought of as an AoE ability. Also, shield bash is buggy and the single target dps increase (oh wait, it really actually isn't) over our "AoE" spenders isn't worth the loss of a skill slot on a nonaoe spender.

None of our abilities have high enough modifiers for single target (think like 700+% for cluster bomb, 600+% extra crit HotA, 550%+ disintegrate/rapid fire, 500%+ infinite DoTs from haunt/locust/piranha), no single target pet swarms (familiar, wolf, zombie dogs/gargant).

I am not getting into a uh, numbers argument here, but my point is that there is no reason to build a single target crusader because there is no build that is better single target than AoE.

Furthermore, we have no single target passives either. Crusader is very similar to monk and barb in that regard, in that they are much better facing hordes of whites and semistrong enemies than facing a boss in a 1 on 1 fight.

EDIT: Someone is always going to bring up the HF/FH rune. Yes, that does work. Yes, you can use it to burst down. No, it is still a very inefficient spender. Yes, it is still buggy for targetting and can miss even if the enemy is in your face. Yes, it is more efficient AoE than single target, which is why I don't bring it up here.

There is no single target "boss killer" or whatever build. Any build that can do single target can do AoE just as well, and vice versa.
there is not one.

You should not put the following words together:

Crusader + DPS

Cause you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. We're tanks, in a game where you have a 30 second taunt. You'll be pretty average keeping yourself alive while not really tanking anything as your friends will all kill the monsters for you.

And for the love of god don't let anyone in this thread say use fire of heavens rune on heaven's fury if you get the flail I have. You'll see WICKED numbers every 30 seconds or so as thats how long it'll take to get your wrath back up and then blow it all killing a mob. It's a stupid gimick build that only work in normal through master.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/47922524.jpg
Hey Kael, have you considered swapping to a fast dagger to build fury with righteousness, then back to lasering?

It might be gimicky but could work if the vast majority of your dps comes from the laser.

EDIT: also if you haven't already rolled your flail, try rolling wrath regen on both flail and shield. Shield goes up to almost 2, and 2h flail is can go up to almost 4 iirc. With 6 a sec it'll be a lot faster regenning.

Also, when I was using a HF/FH build, what I did was put in shield glare and provoke as additional wrath generators. It gives you a pretty long period (esp with valor) of good burst.
03/31/2014 08:21 AMPosted by theonepanda
Hey Kael, have you considered swapping to a fast dagger to build fury with righteousness, then back to lasering?

no because then you'd lose the legendary proc that makes heaven's fury as a wrath spender have any value.

edit: not that it actually as any value at all in my opinion. 40 wrath for a spender is silly, plain and simple. I even use provoke and shield glare to bump up wrath generation but it's still silly. It's still completely foolish and anyone who tells you otherwise thinks seeing 15 million once in a while as playing the game assume.

edit 2: Yes I rerolled the flail for a socket for crit damage. No weapon is worthwhile without a socket.

edit 3: You have the shield I have spent about 2000 blood shards trying to get now. That exact roll. How depressing. (not a single legendary have I gotten)
A fast weapon + fast attack build + crits, or thorns

But it is kinda silly to be forced to buff generators at the expense of everything else, because spenders suck so much
edit 3: You have the shield I have spent about 2000 blood shards trying to get now. That exact roll. How depressing. (not a single legendary have I gotten)

Heh, and you have the weapon I want. With our powers combined, we might be able to do some decent damage!
I'm interested in this as well. I find I can do great AOE damage and plow through trash, but struggle when I get to bosses. I'm having trouble finding a strong build to fight bosses with. Either high single target damage or high survivability and sustained damage. Anyone found something that works for them?
03/31/2014 08:24 AMPosted by Kael
no because then you'd lose the legendary proc that makes heaven's fury as a wrath spender have any value.

Your legendary flail is not going to lose it's affix because you opened your bag mid combat, swapped to a fast wep, regen wrath, then swap back. Weapon and item swapping are extremely powerful. I personally use about 4-5 legendaries I just carry around to swap out for things like, Shrine rares (Nemesis Bracers), 2x Steed Charge (Swiftsteed), 2x Bombardment (Mortal Drama). It can be a bit of a pain opening bag and clicking items, but if you change the keybind to something other than I, such as Spacebar, or in my case the P key on my Steelseries Merc Stealth, it's not bad.

I was running a Lightning build until recently with 108% lightning, Schafer's Hammer, and TG's Vigor. It melts single target, mostly with Provoke/Charged up. It starts to get a little tough to stand toe-to-toe around T5 even with adjustments to bring Toughness close to 20 million. But up until T3 it will melt a single target boss in less than 20 secs (Rift bosses a bit longer), and with around 9 million toughness and Paragon in LpH you rarely have to move to avoid damage.

Currently messing with CDR/Jekangbord/BoP build, the AOE is insane, the single target is horrible. 3/6 Akarat's with well over 200 hours played. Two more pieces and this spec might be ok.
IK it's an old thread but I think this is worth mentioning

I'm currently using Moonlight Ward on my dps crusader. It is also serious aoe damage but it's localized to what you're actually attacking, and it depends on you attacking the things in melee range. This makes it ideal for grinding down the elite you're fighting at melee range and benifits from faster attacks in melee range, which coincides nicely with primary attacks in a mana ... wrath ramp. It also makes the actual damage of your primary redundant on most enemies by completely outshining it - making things like Slash; Zeal viable with a DOT attack speed stack, which goes good with the various words of orange that places damaging debuffs on enemies

I put the effect of an Envious Blade using Kunai's Cube (it exists now damnit) to make both the stars generated by Moonlight Ward and the HF shotgun blasts instant death to most undamaged trash enemies. So far it's working pretty well and I might not even have to have a shield for it if I want to go zanpakuto with it and die a bit more often than otherwise
06/01/2016 09:43 PMPosted by Mosstone
IK it's an old thread but I think this is worth mentioning

I'm currently using Moonlight Ward on my dps crusader. It is also serious aoe damage but it's localized to what you're actually attacking, and it depends on you attacking the things in melee range. This makes it ideal for grinding down the elite you're fighting at melee range and benifits from faster attacks in melee range, which coincides nicely with primary attacks in a mana ... wrath ramp. It also makes the actual damage of your primary redundant on most enemies by completely outshining it - making things like Slash; Zeal viable with a DOT attack speed stack, which goes good with the various words of orange that places damaging debuffs on enemies

I put the effect of an Envious Blade using Kunai's Cube (it exists now damnit) to make both the stars generated by Moonlight Ward and the HF shotgun blasts instant death to most undamaged trash enemies. So far it's working pretty well and I might not even have to have a shield for it if I want to go zanpakuto with it and die a bit more often than otherwise

Oh yeah gonna go farm up some moonlight ward for my sader for the rotating blink blink
Unfortunately I made my crusader into a seasonal character and that's where I found the moonlight ward D: so it will be a while before I can implement the legendary gems for their DOT effects, but I am clearing out elite enemies much faster than I feel should be possible for my current power level (much lower than 9000). I have the highest dps using a two hander zanpakuto with no shield and using the Holy Cause perk instead of Heavenly Strength, which both increases my damage and gives my attacks self healing which makes up for no shield :P

Breaking the Crusader mold: When it rains it pours
I would say Shield Bash.
Best single target for me is seeker - blessed hammers with physical rune (did clear 86 with it with boss down in 35s max)