APoC only for Primary Skills?

Wizard
Wouldn't it be much more balanced if Arcane Power on Crit would only work on Primary Skills?
With enough APoC & the right skill you still can play without primary skill, because your AP seems never to run out...
Or you can get Pride's Fall and -Resource Reduction.

I can spam disintegrate non stop and I have 0 APOC.

Check my profile.
04/01/2014 04:08 AMPosted by Fraktal
Or you can get Pride's Fall and -Resource Reduction

that also is OP...
Are you trolling or sth?

Unless you have APoC + alot of CHC + RCR you can´t spam the big hitters nonstop.

If you want to spam stuff like Arcane Orb FO or Meteors you need a combination of all resource affecting abilities and preferably one or more legendaries that also affect your resource management.

If you meet all these criteria then it´s more than okay to not be forced to using a primary skill. Not to mention that currently almost everyone is forced to equip prodigy in order to stabilize AP regen.

Being able to get rid of it along with the your primary skill opens up alot of new possibilities for other specs or variants of existing ones.

It´s not OP it´s the result of gaining access to the right gear. If there was no reward to be gained from gear then why bother? Simply reaching high paper DPS and getting big hits on your abilities is easy enough, even with rares. So the method to really improve your wizard is to stabilize your AP regen along the way.

Aside from that, if you only attack AP regen via APoC you´d need it on at least 2 items with 50%+ CHC on top. Depending on your spec you might not use a Wand, thats -1 item capable of APoC. If you don´t use a Wizard head either because you run Andariels (very popular) you only have the Source left as a possible APoC item. 3-4 APoC alone wont keep those Orbs and Meteors coming.
Or you need neither of them and with a decent amount of ressource reduction and the proper build, you can spam non-stop desintegrate ...

Having Pride's Fall helps a lot but it's not mandatory at all.

Check my profile (EU profile).

Edit: 3p Tal Rasha bonus makes it even more easy ...
@Fractal - How is resource cost calculated? Say you have power of the storm, pride's fall and 10% reduction from gear, what is the cost of disintegrate?
04/01/2014 04:56 AMPosted by keithioapc
@Fractal - How is resource cost calculated? Say you have power of the storm, pride's fall and 10% reduction from gear, what is the cost of disintegrate?

Resource cost is calculated (unsurprisingly) to give you the minimum possible benefit from stacking different types of reductions. Order of Operations is as follows:

1. Subtract all -cost mods from base cost. For example, with PotS the cost of Disintegrate goes from 18 to 15.

2. Subtract first % reduction mod. If you have -10% from Paragon you take 10% off of 15, or 1.5, making the cost 13.5. (the game works with fractions it does not round up or down)

3. Subtract second % reduction mod. If you have -8% on shoulders, then 8% of 13.5 is 1.08, so the cost is now 12.42.

Etc, etc.

It is done this way on purpose to basically prevent someone from stacking enough mods to make their skills free. It's impossible to bring the cost of anything to zero.
Oh I don't know about you guys :P With the correct gear and skill set, you can spam anything. But it's not the point that you shouldn't be able to, you should be able to.
04/01/2014 07:08 AMPosted by nitrocan
Oh I don't know about you guys :P With the correct gear and skill set, you can spam anything. But it's not the point that you shouldn't be able to, you should be able to.

Wizards, with an inherent 10 AP/s, plus a few more from Astral Presence or Tal Rasha, certainly can maintain any channeled skill forever with the right setup - that's not the point. The above mechanic is to prevent any skill from become "free". Big difference, if you could make something like Arcane Orbit (or even Frozen Orb) completely free it'd be gg.
04/01/2014 07:13 AMPosted by freakinjstu
04/01/2014 07:08 AMPosted by nitrocan

Wizards, with an inherent 10 AP/s, plus a few more from Astral Presence or Tal Rasha, certainly can maintain any channeled skill forever with the right setup - that's not the point. The above mechanic is to prevent any skill from become "free". Big difference, if you could make something like Arcane Orbit (or even Frozen Orb) completely free it'd be gg.

But you can. I guarantee you that you can easily cast FO for free with the correct gear.