Frozen orb secretly nerfed??!!

Wizard
Prev 1 5 6 7 16 Next
wohoo one of the most op spells in game and wizzards cry about it, everyone knew they are going to balance the spell anyway.
Well, this just goes to show how many people used Frozen Orb incorrectly to begin with. Yes, you did have to aim it to get the maximum damage output. I see so many players just spam Frozen Orb regardless of how they're positioned and where mobs are on the screen. Now you actually have to aim it to get the full damage.

W: Wizard
---: Frozen Orb travel path
T: Target
X: Frozen Orb impact location

Full damage:
W------TX

Not full damage:
W---T---X

This is similar to how Scorch works. A lot of people complain about Scorch being terrible is because its travel path is ridiculously long. Speaking of travel path...

I don't know how many people chiming in have paid attention to Frozen Orb since the first day(s) of the Friends & Family Beta in November 2013. If you think Frozen Orb is worthless now, you probably never saw how truly worthless Frozen Orb was back then. That was when its travel path was so long that no one could feasibly keep the explosion damage going for any duration of a fight unless you're one, two-shotting mobs.

@OP - When I cast Frozen Orb, it still deals its full damage based on the way it worked (pierce damage, shards damage, explosion damage). As for Cold Blooded, it still triggers on the first cast. Without Cold Blooded, explosion damage from my Frozen Orb usually hovers in the 5M range. With Cold Blooded, that value is regularly at 6M. I have zero cold gear, by the way.
I do play a Frost Orb spec and the changes don't bother me 'that' much.

However, from the perspective of someone who farmed T6 level gear for an Orb spec I feel very bad for. While it doesn't 'break' the spec, it certainly makes it less effective and possibly makes other T6 level specs more attractive. Thus, they will have to farm new gear because they've already enchanted most of their gear to begin with. That kinda stinks.

I on the other hand, just play whatever spec I'm the best at using and I have a feeling my spec won't change for high-tier runs. (when they make them worth it)
Dont get too excited about shrine gloves either, empower and fleeting are 10 min now instead of 1h, sometimes i ran 2-3+ hours straight through rifts and haven't found a single empower shrine, so, depending on situational "fun" for a short time, not my cup of tea. Will either change to arcane or swap to barb all together. They managed to !@#$ up the one build that was actually fun to play with, not to mention it allowed to survive when orb applied its slow chill effect, some elites are so fast and nasty on t3 that killing one solo is already rather hard, blizz seem to forget an important part of being a wizard, its not a tank, its skills have to be strong to kill before something kills you, not nerf it silently and force us play other classes.

And to all those brainless players hating on wizards, i got a eye opener for you, you could play one too, and if not, since when having a weak party that takes 1 minute to kill a pack of trash mobs fun?
Think before you speak.

Also, monks, they need buffing, most monks i see are trying to tank and survive doing close to no damage and the ones that try to, die all the time on t3, this game is not suppose to have tanks, dont make it into another fail wow.
Re: People saying "They shouldn't nerf Frozen Orb! They should buff other skills to bring them in line!"

... Really? You think it makes sense to change ALL the other wizard skills (dozens) instead of just one?
04/08/2014 01:46 PMPosted by Jaetch
Now you actually have to aim it to get the full damage.

Yep. It's not the end of the world and FO is still highly viable. I just tried it out and it's not as bad as I thought. The nerf to Prodigy was unexpected, but I made a post just this week talking about a rebalance (though I didn't want an outright nerf) because it felt too mandatory.

I like the change to Teleport Wormhole. I still crit over 7 mil, just gotta hit that sweet spot which honestly isn't very difficult to do.
DPS being reduced and the Chill effect being reduced are 2 VERY different things!
DPS being reduced and the Damage Radius being reduced are 2 VERY different things!
Comon blizzard, we deserve a better explanation.

Edit: Ahh I read more and realize OP just can't aim his frozen orbs. Well my fault for reading OP then TLDR the thread. Good fix bliz!
Damage wasn't reduced. The area of the explosion damage was. It used to do full explosion damage over about 15 yds, which honestly seemed a little large. Now it does it over 5 yds, which is about the size of your character.
04/08/2014 11:17 AMPosted by RayRay
Can anyone share their experience with the radius nerf? Is it dramatic or not too noticeable...

So sick of these "bug" fixes, man up and say you nerfed it if you nerfed it.

Two guys roughly side by side about the distance of where vanilla arcane orb's explosion would have splashed damaged them? Well it won't now. Radius feels tiny like glacial spike tiny or maybe even worse. Actually feels like obliterate tiny.

If anything this skill really blows when you have to try to "tank" stuff as the explosion of which you have zero control over will always whiff when in melee range. This makes it probably very slightly better then your freebie spells and in some cases probably worse as its so slow and actually cost to use.
There was no *secretly* about it.
Read the patch notes.
04/08/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Llonio
04/08/2014 11:17 AMPosted by RayRay
Can anyone share their experience with the radius nerf? Is it dramatic or not too noticeable...

So sick of these "bug" fixes, man up and say you nerfed it if you nerfed it.

Two guys roughly side by side about the distance of where vanilla arcane orb's explosion would have splashed damaged them? Well it won't now. Radius feels tiny like glacial spike tiny or maybe even worse. Actually feels like obliterate tiny.

If anything this skill really blows when you have to try to "tank" stuff as the explosion of which you have zero control over will always whiff when in melee range. This makes it probably very slightly better then your freebie spells and in some cases probably worse as its so slow and actually cost to use.

It still works great if you can time it so that the explosion is closer to the mob but as @Jaetch pointed out, if the orb travels too far your damage from it tanks. Up close you are almost better off using a primary attack.
I honestly cannot believe this. I play mostly solo or with a few close friends, we had faun playing FO Wizards. We weren't bothering anyone, just having some fun. Now you lot at Blizz come along because of whining on the forums and nerf one of the fun builds. Not only that, you have the blind nerve to claim it was a "bug fix."

Bah, had enough of your BS.
The Damage is just reduced its not the same the crits are way lower almost half and it doesnt matter where i stand can you explain that?
Oh well, good thing I had a Light of Grace stashed.

Now hoping there's no bugs with Ray of Frost.
Everyone talking about aiming is and stuff is missing the point. Those of us who did aim the Frozen Orb used it for maximum effectiveness and farming. It use to take two orbs to clear a small room of whites. Now it takes at least three. Missile dampening elites could be defeated by getting them near a wall and slamming orbs directly against the wall.

My ability to farm T1 rifts has plummeted.
04/08/2014 10:18 AMPosted by Nevalistis
There were some bugs associated with Frozen Orb that were fixed with this patch that might be resulting in some of the changes you're noticing.

• Arcane Orb
    • Frozen Orb
      • Bug Fix: Fixed an issue where Frozen Orb was chilling for longer than intended
      • Bug Fix: Fixed an issue where the Frozen Orb bonus damage radius was hitting a larger area than intended

The full patch notes are [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/13532431"]available here[/url] if you'd like to see the philosophy behind any of these changes.

Right, your philosophy.

Instead of saying "nerfed the range and chill duration of frozen orb", you guys came up with some "philosophy" to make it all look okay. Is it just a huge coincidence that you guys just so happened to nerf the 2 most popular skills used by wizards? Oh sorry forgot about how these changes actually fit perfectly into your "philosophy".

Besides, your philosophy makes no sense. Frozen orb's range was a bug? Frozen's orb's chill duration was a bug? Surge of power's proc coefficient being 0.25 instead of 0.166 was not in your philosophy? You're just making things up. How about you guys admit you love nerfing popular builds, we know it already. We've seen it happen every single patch. We've seen you guys crumble up everything to do with CM to make us suffer further and further before you completely removed it (not saying you shouldn't have). Please, you don't have to lie.
Blizzard please revert this. This is unfair and you are losing a lot of players in the process!
04/08/2014 02:09 PMPosted by KillerElite

It still works great if you can time it so that the explosion is closer to the mob but as @Jaetch pointed out, if the orb travels too far your damage from it tanks. Up close you are almost better off using a primary attack.

Most people when they pick arcane orb type spells do so for the aoe. Without meaningful aoe then you might as well go with something else. I seem to have much better results aoe wise utilizing chaos nexus disintegrate now and with the added bonus of doing better single target damage to boot.
You know, when you have one single build that pretty much every wizard I run into into game is running, how do you not see the writing on the wall that is going to be nerfed?
I've had enough of Blizzard's "bug fixing". Constantly forcing us to play differently is one thing, but to flat out lie and call it a "bug" when it's obviously a nerf is insulting.

This goes back to my thread about Blizzard's terrible inconsistency. Why can't you WoW developers just let us enjoy the game without forcing us to into corners and forcing us to regear and respec our characters? Why can't you WoW developers have the deceny to tell us IT'S A NERF AND NOT A BUG FIX?

And why would you want to nerf AOE on AOE spell?

Good bye, good riddance.

04/08/2014 02:28 PMPosted by TheMadRabbit
You know, when you have one single build that pretty much every wizard I run into into game is running, how do you not see the writing on the wall that is going to be nerfed?

Wait... this isn't fair and doesn't make any sense. So just because a build is popular Blizzard should go and nerf it to bits? What?