Auto Loot Pickup?

Items and Crafting
If I'm not mistaken, health pots are now auto pick-up, whereas you used to have to click them. I actually find this to be a really nice change.

Any chance we can apply this to crafting mats and gems?

Take it even a step further and add an option to show/not show/auto pickup items of a certain rarity. I remember there being an option like this in Torchlight 2 and it was extremely convenient.

My hands will thank you when they aren't sore from all that extra clicking.
I could get behind a system like TL2s
We've been working on streamlining the crafting resource management system, and some of your suggestions are the kind of things we're looking at. I'm going to quote one of my previous posts about this to highlight some of that info again.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with the caveat that any changes we make to crafting material management will come sometime down the road, but we don't have a time frame to share at this point.

• All crafting materials would be moved to a currency-style storage in the UI. Think something similar to Blood Shards.
  • All crafting materials would become auto pickup, except for LEGENDARY crafting material. (Legendary crafting material would still be automatically stored as a currency, but players must click on it to pick it up.)
  • All crafters would pull crafting materials from this storage area for recipes.
  • Crafting materials that the player doesn’t currently own would appear in grey text with a 0 counter.
  • Players could mouse over the icons of all crafting material to get the full tooltip of the item. This includes greyed out ones.
  • Currently, we do not intend to store gems in this way because it would make socketing items feel clunky.
  • The legendary crafting materials need to drop and place an icon like the other items do. I happened to walk by last night and saw an adventurers journal casually sitting on the ground. Please fix this
    gems should be auto pickup at least
    04/08/2014 11:14 AMPosted by Grimiku
    We've been working on streamlining the crafting resource management system, and some of your suggestions are the kind of things we're looking at. I'm going to quote one of my previous posts about this to highlight some of that info again.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with the caveat that any changes we make to crafting material management will come sometime down the road, but we don't have a time frame to share at this point.

[quote]
  • All crafting materials would be moved to a currency-style storage in the UI. Think something similar to Blood Shards.
  • All crafting materials would become auto pickup, except for LEGENDARY crafting material. (Legendary crafting material would still be automatically stored as a currency, but players must click on it to pick it up.)
  • All crafters would pull crafting materials from this storage area for recipes.
  • Crafting materials that the player doesn’t currently own would appear in grey text with a 0 counter.
  • Players could mouse over the icons of all crafting material to get the full tooltip of the item. This includes greyed out ones.
  • Currently, we do not intend to store gems in this way because it would make socketing items feel clunky.

• Sounds good to me, one of my tabs is half full of crafting components. :) Any plans for the auto pickup of gems? I agree that gem storage would be kinda clunky, with there being many gem qualities.
    Tho why does it take so long? Technically you have all the code for this in place, as the auto pickup is in the health potions. And the UI storage is already inplace with the Blood Shards/autopick up.
    YES, we need options!

I don;t want to pick up pots anymore, unclick that box.
    I want to pick up all crafting materials that aren't low level, check and uncheck appropriate boxes.
    I want to pick up imperial +gem but nothing lower, check and uncheck boxes...
    I don't want anything to be autopick up except for gold. Picking up loot is basically the entire game. This just makes us look WAY lazy...

• You may want to take a look at how stuff is stored in Guild Wars 2. You have a bank with specific spaces for crafting items, but you can always retrieve them and carry them on your inventory.
    I am find storing gems the way it is. I just don't want to have to click gems to pick them up.

Unless the code requires that auto-pickup items be stored as currency?

Also - yes, there will be many people who do not want to auto pickup certain things. On/off check boxes for certain item types, I think, would be really great.
    I agree that gems should be auto-pickup. Also agree that they should not be stored like crafting materials if they make the changes highlighted in Blue above.

The suggestion above my post about a on/off checkbox for certain item types is a great idea. But that means changing the options panel and that won't be a hotfix.
    04/08/2014 11:21 AMPosted by BacklashWave

[quote]

• Sounds good to me, one of my tabs is half full of crafting components. :) Any plans for the auto pickup of gems? I agree that gem storage would be kinda clunky, with there being many gem qualities.

What if instead of having gems in the storage or on a little hotbar, we could have some sort of container that can be opened with a key like paragons or skills that lets us sort and organize our gems? maybe like a horadric sphere or something? a cool thing that could be done with it is it could let us play bejeweled with our own gems while we wait for friends to hurry the heck up with certain things.

Edit: I meant to just quote the blizzard post. im stupid.
    Once you have a legendary potion, the auto pickup of health potions becomes a complete annoyance. There needs to be a toggle to disable it.

[quote]

• Please...make this one of those stupid things you can uncheck in your gameplay options. I am so sick of picking up potions when I don't need any.
    So true... I got one of the legendary potions the other day and have been trying to avoid pot pickups... or just throwing them down at the end of my session.
    I would like to see white/blue/yellow crafting materials be dropped in piles (and rares)

There is no point picking up white/blue materials if you can salvage items for ~7 and ~3

PS.:

All crafting materials would become auto pickup, except for LEGENDARY crafting material. (Legendary crafting material would still be automatically stored as a currency, but players must click on it to pick it up.)

Its just a real minor thing but this would also be good to apply to the bloodshards.

It feels strange to autopickup bloodshards...
    Actually BS are the REWARD for doing a rift.(and they SHOULD be the reason to do a rift)
    just saw this thread. yeah, i was hoping they wouldve implemented that on the latest patch, I guess we'll have to wait.
    04/08/2014 11:21 AMPosted by Vendo
    I want to pick up all crafting materials that aren't low level, check and uncheck appropriate boxes.

If they go into a currency window, why would it matter if you are picking up old ones or not? They won't take inventory space.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything should be auto-pickup... legendary items should require a click... it's part of the fun. But rares are the new blues, which I really only pick up to sell or salvage...

In fact, it would be so nice if ALL items types (except legendary) had the option to on/off auto-pickup. And I don't care if it can't be hotfixed... I'd be willing to wait for the next patch for such a quality of life perk.