*12* Reasons To Double Monster Legendary Droprates P2

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 10 Next
I dont understand why everyone wants legendaries handed to them on a silver platter, it defeats the purpose of the game, I saw one post where some guy said "There should be 1 legendary for every 45 mins of grinding" All i could do was shake my head.

And i cant believe on how many people agreed. I couldn`t even believe it.

Legs should be rewarding and exciting to find. they should never be expected.
I totally agree how bad the drop rates really ..
They took out the ah ..which was great but you cant trade legendaries ..bad .. very bad call
cant even trade gems .. really ..
maybe make them clan tradable if your worried about gold sellers
at least then ppl could trade with friends

about bad drops i have close to 7oo hrs on my monk ..one set pc ...
TOTALLY BAD ..no questions asked ..
if the drop rates were good i would be trying for better set pcs ..NOT praying i might get another one ..
No doubt THE drop rates are bad ..
anyone who don't believe it should play for awhile ..

Crafting is not the answer ..you cant make enough gold to make half the mats
because it takes millions just to make gems ..
very unattainable for casual players ..even hard core if you didnt use the ah ..
i have a bunch of mats to make items ..no bag space ..and not getting recipes to make them ...funny you get the mats before the recipes ..
what's wrong with that picture ??

over all the new loot system FAILS ..hands down
Makes the game so unrewarding to say the least ..
takes all the fun away ..
04/08/2014 08:12 AMPosted by AODWraith
I dont understand why everyone wants legendaries handed to them on a silver platter, it defeats the purpose of the game, I saw one post where some guy said "There should be 1 legendary for every 45 mins of grinding" All i could do was shake my head.

Says the person decked out in some of the best legends...you yourself must have found legends more than once per 45 minutes. Compare that to the majority of people who find one every 2-3 hours...its not worth it to even play with how "rewarding" this game is. People have come to expect legends because Blizzard made them a requirement to viably play end game. With the addition of 4/2, I would LOVE to see a barbarian DESTROYING T1 with zero legendaries at all. I cant speak for other classes other than word of mouth.
One thing that might help is: Having DUAL STAT mods restored... This could make just about EVERYTHING a LOT better.

*Like INT/VIT, STR/VIT, DEX/VIT...three little single affixes that can lead to:

1. Items with FOUR Primary affixes having your Primary stat + VIT in the same affix, then CD, CC, and either All Resist/Attack Speed/LoH/Life Regen/extra damage (on rings/amulets). In other words:
Primary (for amulet):
*513 INT/509 VIT
*6% Attack Speed (or +damage/Life regen/LoH/All resists)
*+89% Critical Damage
*+10% Chance of Critical Hit
(Four Primary affixes, but FIVE good stats ;) )
Secondary Affixes:
*any one or two will work considering the above primaries

a) You can also REROLL a bad affix for a shot at this DUAL STAT affix too (by seeing the Mystic) (losing a Cold Skills% affix for a Primary stat/Vitality affix).
b) of course, it will have to compete with a Pure Primary and Pure Vitality affix, but at least it's a possibility.

2. Why the "F" does the Mystic give you the SAME affix + % as the mod you are rerolling, or why does she offer the same replacement TWICE?!!! VERY LAME, considering the cost and resources. First of all, you should NOT get the same type as the one you are rerolling. Second, you should not get TWO of the same type as replacement affixes. If you are rerolling say, "Cold Skills +%", you should get TWO different affix types (like Crit Damage and Crit Chance, or any two that are not the same or the same as the original affix). Isn't that the POINT of rerolling after all?!
04/08/2014 07:59 AMPosted by Caderyn
But look at it this way, you now have more OPTIONS than other players. You can try to climb higher by finding the same drops with better stat allocation, playing a new character, or farming to find those vanity legends or find new ones to viably try out other builds. If you chose #3, would it not feel better knowing you had a higher chance of finding said vanity legends instead of farming aimlessly not finding anything?

I like a lot of your points, but I want to toss out there that in general not everyone wants to play alts.

Personally speaking, I actually plan to start playing a new class once I've more or less reached a high level with my Demon Hunter. I would enjoy starting over with fresh gear, and you're right: it would be pretty neat to find an awesome sword or maybe a chest item on my new character with some cool effects. I'm just not convinced that higher drop rates are really necessary. Sure, I would love finding all of them -- I think anyone would. However, I don't think finding lots of neat legendaries over only a couple of days is the right approach.

Perhaps this is just a fundamental difference in how I view the game should be from the majority of people -- I still want to be finding legendaries a month down the road and say, "Wow, this is pretty cool! I'm willing to give up a little damage to try this out" or "Wow, this complements my build perfectly! I can stun enemies with what I'm already using!" It seems that unlike the majority of players, I don't really mind that those types of legendaries don't drop for awhile. It's okay that I don't get a Wyrdward, Thungergod's Vigor, and Thunderfury on my Monk all within the first 2 weeks of gameplay after hitting 70 (Which by the way is something I've been totally looking forward to trying out when I level it).

I've never personally played Diablo 2, so I can't draw comparisons here from my knowledge. It sounds to me like players have more or less grown accustomed to being able to quickly find the base item that they want, and then being able to repeatedly farm that item to get better and better stats.

To clarify, I'm not saying it's wrong to want all these things quickly... I just feel that finding them (and getting good stats) should be rare enough that someone can't expect to farm them in any short amount of time. I feel like that would be the best direction for the game.

All of that said, I still totally understand why people would want more. I can picture just how demoralizing it can get if you're unlucky which is why I still think there should be -SOME- steady flow of legendaries. Maybe through bad luck prevention or something.
04/08/2014 09:25 AMPosted by Deathshiver
All of that said, I still totally understand why people would want more. I can picture just how demoralizing it can get if you're unlucky which is why I still think there should be -SOME- steady flow of legendaries. Maybe through bad luck prevention or something

Unfortunately, the majority of people against a higher drop rate only look at it from one single viewpoint, so its refreshing to have an actual debate with points as opposed to flaming back and forth.

I myself feel I'm around the midpoint of being lucky with RNG and extremely unlucky, maybe slightly more towards the unlucky like 4 out of 10, with 10 being finding full IK set with TF and SoH in your first run at adventure mode. It is EXTREMELY demoralizing because I would say I play roughly about 20 hours per week, which is by no means a small period of time considering I have a job and other obligations. I spend the majority of my free time (not including time with my gf with whom I live with) playing games, so I, along with I'm sure quite a number of other people, would like the ability to know that I will not be playing for a 2-3 hour period and find nothing. While, again, this is based on RNG, it isn't very fun and gets to a point of "is this even worth it?" And even further to the point of "A legendary!...oh its a 2H or a DH cloak. Might as well salvage it without even ID'ing it"

Keeping in mind the IMMENSE amount of variability between legend statistics and that quite a number of sets can be worn by all classes, even if you found a legendary per rift run, or every 30 minutes (just examples of a substantial increase) the chances of it not being salvaged are still relatively low. There is still a plateau where you will get legends but they aren't an upgrade since being decked out does not necessarily translate into auto-farm T6. I would much rather find a so-so TF, and have 6 more drop and each being even the slightest upgrade than not find it at all and KNOW that I won't find it, because I KNOW that I will eventually find an upgrade.

FYI on D2 as I played countless, countless hours playing D2 (easily in the 1000's of hours). The runs were MUCH faster (5-10 minutes depending which bosses you killed), but it was still a lot more fun farming even with a smaller legendary pool because you knew that they would drop, working for that perfect Mara's, or perfect Death's Fathom. Having a drop rate that you could get a legend/set every 20-30 minutes kept you going, and did it ruin the game? Why don't you ask the people still playing it.

My main point, and I cant stress this enough, is that it is quite literally nearly impossible to find a perfect legendary in this game, which makes it even more likely that players will continue to farm for that as close to perfect legend that they can to improve their damage or toughness FOR THAT BUILD. If you don't want to play a new class, how about a new build and do it all over again? The current drop system does not allow this to an acceptable level where it can be completed and repeated.
I have been playing ROS like a lunatic since it launched (6+ hours a day) and the leg drop rate is horrendous. Factor in how awful most leg's are, and you create a recipie for severe depression.

Every single leg hat that has dropped has been a downgrade compared to my yellow helm.

9 swami's
4 archmage viscaythe
1 storm crow

Horrible rolls

Either increase the drop rate or make legs better.
04/08/2014 10:51 AMPosted by Caderyn
Having a drop rate that you could get a legend/set every 20-30 minutes kept you going, and did it ruin the game? Why don't you ask the people still playing it.

Altogether, my favorite point.

04/08/2014 10:51 AMPosted by Caderyn
My main point, and I cant stress this enough, is that it is quite literally nearly impossible to find a perfect legendary in this game, which makes it even more likely that players will continue to farm for that as close to perfect legend that they can to improve their damage or toughness FOR THAT BUILD. If you don't want to play a new class, how about a new build and do it all over again?[/b] The current drop system does not allow this to an acceptable level where it can be completed and repeated.

I don't know what the perfect solution would be, but I think there might be other ways of solving this problem without turning legendaries into common items. Something that works for both parties. Personally speaking, I think they could overhaul the enchanting system so that when you find an item you like, you can always get it to an "average" level that works with your gear. I think a large reason for the complaints people have is that the few they find, they aren't even able to use.

Perhaps the enchanter could be modified such that it can offer greater customization but the customized rolls are more limited than natural rolls in power. This will have two effects:

1. Your first set of legendary items will always have SOME use. If you find a neat sword, enchanting can always get it to at least above a rare. This means entry level gear and getting into the first torment are relatively simple tasks easily accomplished by casual players.

2. The only way to get truly high end min max legendary items is still farming, however because of (1) you are likely already farming higher torment difficulties and therefore finding them more often.

This should, in theory, alleviate the complaints that players currently have while still leaving high end progression as is. But I'm curious on your thoughts and other suggestions as well... Or perhaps you still believe doubling drop rates is still the best path.
I like where you are going with the enchanting path because it's a different way of thinking, however there are quite a few flaws when you look at it from the views of both the player and developer. Keep in mind that these points may, or may not, be what you were thinking of since your premise was somewhat vague.

1) Limiting the number of stats to be rerolled prevents any player from rolling any item to exactly what they want, eliminating any form of farming at all.

2) Speaking only from a barbarian standpoint, it is fairly difficult to find a good balance of survival and sustainable damage from a fresh character. Since class balance is a whole new mess, we'll avoid this topic, but in general it takes more than a set of rares to successfully complete torment 1 efficiently.

3) There have also been numerous complaints at higher torment levels that for the degree of difficulty, 1600% monster HP, it is not worth taking even an extra minute to kill an elite pack (just an example of time, no hard data)

4) The developers didn't spend massive amount of time for legends to be interchangeable for every character for every build. The purpose of legendaries is to be collected and utilized, are they not?

5) While this is a "Double the drop rate" thread, I did not create it, nor to I have any hard numbers to suggest other than potentially decreasing the "2 hour" timer or making it more rewarding to actually complete the tasks this game was designed for.

My overall suggestion for this game would, to start, be a combination of:

1) Increasing the legendary drop rate flat out.
2) Reducing the drop timer from 2 hours to ~30 minutes (since it only kicks in at 2 hours and doesn't make a drop happen at the 2 hour mark)
3) Increase the chances of a legendary to drop from a rift guardian to ~20-25%
4) Create some sort of clan trading/bank (though I'm not sure how it could be implemented while preventing abuse from online sellers, an clan-mate timer perhaps of a week, month?)

While I, in fact, do not believe the #1 will solve the issue as people do not have any tangible evidence that they will get a legend to drop, #2 and #3 give tangible evidence to the player that they can see and feel and can look forward to, which is ultimately the issue is it not? The demoralizing feeling that it will not be worth it? I think along with #2 and #3, implementing a fail-safe where the character itself has to be killing enemies for a solid 30 minutes will keep the timer counting down will help prevent abuse (this is already currently in effect for the 2 hour timer anyways)

Thoughts?
Edit: Apologies in advance, I had a lot to talk about and apparently I did not hit the limit for the post character count.

Oh boy, sorry about that. Last post was from my phone and about halfway through I got tired of typing.

04/08/2014 02:57 PMPosted by Caderyn
1) Limiting the number of stats to be rerolled prevents any player from rolling any item to exactly what they want, eliminating any form of farming at all.

Actually, my comment about offering greater customization but lower the potential of rolls was meant to say that you would be able to re-roll more stats, but all stats that were re-rolled would never be as good as natural stats COULD be. Your starting weapon might require rolling 3 of the 4 stats again (which, mind you, would still take materials and gold, but they would be more easily farm-able than finding the legendary again) to make it work with your build. Perhaps it was missing a socket and had abysmal damage and was giving +% Lightning Damage which you don't even use. The epitome of a useless weapon. You would be able to essentially re-roll perhaps 2 or even 3 of the stats, but all of the re-rolled stats would be capped... most likely higher than a rare but not nearly as high as a legendary cap. This means that pretty much no matter which weapon you find you will have a "legendary weapon." While this weapon would probably get you into Torment 1 or so, you can reasonably expect that to go much farther you would have to find a weapon that naturally rolled high damage or other useful stat. Casual players can make good use of this to make the (very) few legendaries they find actually "usable", but players that spend more time farming will generally be spending extra time to farm items that naturally rolled high. This also means even players with terrible luck can reasonably assume they can get an "average" set of gear in a short period of time.

Honestly though, it was a spur of the moment idea. I haven't fully thought through all the consequences of a system like that. I don't know that it would solve the problem at hand, but I feel like I (and hopefully others!) would be happier with a solution of that form vs buffing drop rates.

3) There have also been numerous complaints at higher torment levels that for the degree of difficulty, 1600% monster HP, it is not worth taking even an extra minute to kill an elite pack (just an example of time, no hard data)

No major difference of opinion here. I would contend that as your gear naturally improves the efficiency ratio of said difficulties does as well, though. As far as Torment 6 goes, gear may never be efficient enough but as a concept I'm inclined to believe that the problem may not be as large as some are making it out to be (but acknowledge it still may be a topic worth reviewing).

4) The developers didn't spend massive amount of time for legends to be interchangeable for every character for every build. The purpose of legendaries is to be collected and utilized, are they not?

Yeah, that's definitely a fatal flaw of the enchanting system I was proposing. I definitely agree that you shouldn't just mold every single legendary into exactly what you want -- part of the fun of finding them is seeing if you can change your build to make them work and eventually collecting ones to complement each other. I was more suggesting it so that we could essentially eliminate the "super bad luck" portion of the game and just have either average luck or good luck. Something like "Well, it's not an uber legendary but at least it's better than this yellow item I found at level 68... two weeks ago."

My overall suggestion for this game would, to start, be a combination of:

1) Increasing the legendary drop rate flat out.
2) Reducing the drop timer from 2 hours to ~30 minutes (since it only kicks in at 2 hours and doesn't make a drop happen at the 2 hour mark)
3) Increase the chances of a legendary to drop from a rift guardian to ~20-25%
4) Create some sort of clan trading/bank (though I'm not sure how it could be implemented while preventing abuse from online sellers, an clan-mate timer perhaps of a week, month?)

I wonder what the max post size is...

I've never really been a fan of the "guaranteed legendary after x time" system from the start. In my opinion that's what the crafting system should have always been. You collect items as you do your normal farming. You still haven't found any legendaries after 1 hour, but you've got enough materials to just go ahead and craft your own legendary. I'll be the first to admit that the current crafting does not feel super rewarding at all right now though. Maybe some changes are necessary there?

If you're really into the guaranteed legendary though, I would probably put it at something like "You will find your next legendary in 60 minutes or less." No guess work about it, and 60 minutes feels like a good number because RNG could award you earlier -- in which case the timer can be reset. I still feel like there's a lot of flaws with a system like that though. One of the flaws you mentioned, how do you check for people abusing it but just claiming their free legendary without work? Maybe the guaranteed legendary is given by X elite kills instead of time (but I suppose there's ways to farm that too, isn't there?).

As for the rifts, I think they do need some work. As I currently understand it, it's basically a normal farming zone but with a 25% multiplicative buff to legendary find. I'd like to see a number of changes.
  • Overall density and elite density improved such that you can have continuous farming without a whole lot of running around.
  • Rift Guardians are deadlier, slightly more difficult to summon (because of density changes), but generally speaking have a MUCH higher chance of dropping a legendary. On higher difficulties will have chance of dropping more than one.
  • Rifts are now timed, such that clearing them fast enough will reward you with a boss. Not clearing fast enough will still give you limited access to a super dense area with higher legendary find so it's still a boost even if you can't summon the guardian in time.

Finally, nothing to add on clan trading. I haven't personally decided how I feel about account bound yet. It frustrated me that my close friend just hit 70 but I couldn't give him anything particularly useful, but at the same time I really enjoyed finding everything I'm currently wearing.
Logged on tonight. Excluding gambling I got 3 bad legendaries in just under 5 hours. Ugh. As much as I enjoy ROS, it's starting to feel like I will never be able to play the builds I want.
Having a drop rate that you could get a legend/set every 20-30 minutes kept you going, and did it ruin the game? Why don't you ask the people still playing it.

Altogether, my favorite point.

Mm.

To quote a clanmate from earlier "I miss COA farming. It was boring as hell but at least I got to smile twice an hour".
Changing the drop rate serves no purpose when the items still suck. Take this chest for example

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/robes-of-the-rydraelm

It has THREE secondary stats that are guaranteed leaving you with only 3 stats to fill with primaries. Now I haven't gotten this item specifically but I would hope to god that the 3 random attributes you can roll can't be rolled as secondary as well.

With that aside it's still a chest worse than EVERY other one do to the fact that you can at MOST have 3 primary stats. Even if you had perfect rolls on it, a regular chest that spawned with another attribute would probably make it instantly obsolete.

Why do guaranteed stats need to be accounted for? Why can't that item have those three stats as part of it's "legendary flavor" and then allow you to roll 6 random stats? This would definitely help to set apart legendaries from rares.

Most legendaries are literally identical to rares and tacking on, "20% chance to charm any undead that hits you for 2 seconds!" does not suddenly make it any more legendary.
04/09/2014 08:00 AMPosted by Allarius
Changing the drop rate serves no purpose when the items still suck. Take this chest for example

If you actually looked at the level 70 version, you would see that it has 6 random properties. Additionally, you can't put the same value on this chest as say a Thunderfury. There are plenty of upgrades that I could use in each slot that are interchangeable depending on the build I would like to play.

04/09/2014 08:00 AMPosted by Allarius
Most legendaries are literally identical to rares and tacking on, "20% chance to charm any undead that hits you for 2 seconds!" does not suddenly make it any more legendary.

And what if you wanted to have some fun (which this is a game, so should it not be fun?) and try out a 100% charm build and do it viably? Increasing the drop rate, or just in general implementing a way for players to have access to legendaries at a reasonable level would help to allow this.

Next time, please bring a larger sample size (of correct information) and refrain from looking at this from a single perspective.
04/08/2014 08:12 AMPosted by AODWraith

Of course they should be expected. Now, if the endgame were designed around using a bunch of rares and the occasional legendary, then I'd agree with you that they should be rare and hard to come by. However, the endgame is currently designed around decking your character out in legendary items. To that end, legendary items need to be common enough to do that. Currently, I'd say they aren't unless you both play an absurd amount of time and get very lucky.

Besides, most legendary items are not rewarding and exciting to find. I instantly salvage 90% of mine. The reasoning for raising the drop rate is so that you actually have a chance to come across the few legendary items that are rewarding and exciting. There's also no guarantee you'll ever find the ones that enable the builds you want to play. <---- Bolded for emphasis. This is my major problem with the current system. The current drop rate could stay as is if there was a way for me to get a Wand of Woh other than blind luck.
The drope rate is more then fine.
Stop destroying this game and make it even more casual.
04/09/2014 08:28 AMPosted by Xer

Drop rate might be fine, but the ratio of good versus crap isn't.

I think you mean "making" instead of "make." Might want to proofread your posts.
This has been an ongoing discussion in our clan as well. Given the slow burn of nerfs Blizzard is doing to leg runs, such as CoA chest runs, Manglemaw, and various others which is a message from Blizzard that "WE want you to play the game, the way WE intended it to be played." Basically rifts, and bounties, people notice the number of legs drop rate is reduced dramatically when doing these runs.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the nerfs, why spend all the dev time making new content when players keep going back to the old tried and true methods. The question they need to be asking themselves is why players do this. I think they have asked themselves that question, which spurred the 25% increase in leg drops on rifts. The main problem is that it was such a tiny or incremental increase that nobody notice a difference in their leg drops. I know I was one among many that rushed to do a rift to see if legs would start raining from the heavens. In the end, it was still the same, 0fer, zero, nada, zilch. Ok run another one? Same deal, nada. Which lead to us going back to the only thing that is efficient, legit farming runs: Split T1 bounties.

The problem is pretty visible, all it takes is for Blizzard to get over this stubborn streak it has, which seems they only relent when their is a mass exodus of Diablo players (see v2). You took away a completely legitimate means of gear through AH and trading by making almost everything worthwhile BoA. You then introduce more legs, with more variance, and more synergy with different builds in the game. Other than basically eliminating trading (which IMO is a bad thing), most people would say the above is a good thing.

In RoS you have suddenly reduced the amount of leg drops for some odd reason, where I was getting 2 an hour in vanilla Diablo, I will be lucky if I get 1 every two hours, and as said by previous posters, the leg that drops is complete crap (HI every 2h currently in the game), it was a good drop but needs to be enchanted which could take up to 10 rolls to get the right stat or socket needed, which means you need 10 crap legs to drop. I cant trade for mats, I cant trade for legs I need, so my only recourse is to farm, then farm so more, and hope I get a good RNG for the day (which is often more bad than good).

I have pretty good gear, not the best, but not the worst either, but I have had to farm my butt off to get it. I have had to do CoA runs, Manglemaw runs, split bounty runs, etc. I have one set piece of Tals, and Marauder's. I group with 2 folks on a regular basis and we pick up a 4th in our clan. We share loot, it is still incredibly hard to find legs that are worth a damn, and just as hard to get legs to drop at all so we can reroll our existing gear.

I am not advocating legs rain from the heaven, but I think guaranteed leg an hour seems fair, still have RNG where you can get that lucky streak of legs dropping, but a/the timer needs to be dropped down from 2 to 1. As stated previously, at least we can smile once an hour =)
04/09/2014 08:28 AMPosted by Xer

Yes, as your grammar states, the drop rate is more, then it will be fine...

Again, people looking at it from a single perspective... what else is new? Not everyone plays only THIS game or has time to play for hours on end. Diablo, as it stands, primarily caters to the above, or people who have an INSANE amount of luck. If I wanted to play a game of luck and chance, I'd play Russian Roulette and put myself out of the misery of this disaster of a loot system. However, the game itself is fun, but infinitely frustrating. Playing a Barbarian last night, I found an SoJ. Awesome! But it had Dex, Physical dmg %, and max Discipline for a DH...

Bring me Wil Wheaton!...and someone with a new argument...
04/09/2014 08:22 AMPosted by Caderyn

If you actually looked at the level 70 version, you would see that it has 6 random properties. Additionally, you can't put the same value on this chest as say a Thunderfury. There are plenty of upgrades that I could use in each slot that are interchangeable depending on the build I would like to play.

I think you're missing the point.

And what if you wanted to have some fun (which this is a game, so should it not be fun?) and try out a 100% charm build and do it viably? Increasing the drop rate, or just in general implementing a way for players to have access to legendaries at a reasonable level would help to allow this.

Well very clearly our definition of legendary is different. I do not agree that inserting generic CC on a legendary makes it worthwhile. I'm all for fun builds, but there doesn't need to be a distinction between rares and legendaries when it's just a "fun" bonus.

Next time, please bring a larger sample size (of correct information) and refrain from looking at this from a single perspective.

I'm honestly not really sure what you're getting at here. my information was absolutely correct, albeit at a different level than I was thinking, but still correct. I don't need to go through every item and point out what doesn't mesh well, because honestly that wasn't the point. Also the fact that I don't doesn't mean that they are all suddenly perfect, I just don't feel the need to go on a list about something that isn't my main focus.

I was just pointing out that increasing the drop rate wouldn't solve anything when its the items themselves that are lackluster. What does perspective have to do with anything? Whatever my perspective is doesn't change how the itemization is.