Horadric Cache Question

Items and Crafting
I don't know if this is intended or not but i'm pretty sure from my experience opening around 100+ caches on different classes then the one i farmed them on item types and level are generated the moment u get the cache but item stats are rolled for the class you opened them with. So if u farm caches with a wizard and open them with a barb u are more likely to get wands than mighty weapons and wands will roll intellect but any other items will roll str as main stat. Of course there is a low chance u can get int or dex rolls since smart loot doesn't guarantee str roll for barbs but that's how it works and i've geared all my toons with caches i farmed on my wiz and bloodshards i've farmed with my wiz.
04/16/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis
there's still a chance the items within do not roll appropriately for your character, though the chance for that is fairly low.

I did not get it...is this code meshed up ?? I most of the time get DH/Barb items even legendries ..that is so frustrating when I am playing and gearing up Wizard..
can you please confirm that !@#$ players get better gear ? its ridiculous another guy with level 60 gear and rares has found a thunderfury and what do i get ? 2 handed weps
04/16/2014 06:25 PMPosted by Nevalistis
04/16/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Lucx
To my knowledge, cache contents are determined when your character receives them, not when they are opened.

This should be the case. However, bear in mind that smart loot drops are not always guaranteed, even from Horadric Caches - there's still a chance the items within do not roll appropriately for your character, though the chance for that is fairly low.

I reckon this sounds right, though have to admit I was rather annoyed when after hours of farming (with my DH) I finally looted a ring of royal grandeur, for it to roll strength -_-
04/16/2014 07:23 PMPosted by Dríízzt
I think they reallllly need to look further into this. Its not working as they suspect. I can farm all my bags on my DH, give them to my Wizard(both lvl 70), the smart loot applies to the Wizard(the one who opens them).

Why should they look at it? Its a great way to equip alts, and should stay if this is the case.
I recieved Mad Monarch's Sceptre and Coven's Criterion with STR + VIT on my vizard and had other loot roll with wrong main stat quite often. I wouldn't say it's THAT rare to get wrong main stat from cache items.
04/17/2014 12:54 AMPosted by zMajc
I recieved Mad Monarch's Sceptre and Coven's Criterion with STR + VIT on my vizard and had other loot roll with wrong main stat quite often. I wouldn't say it's THAT rare to get wrong main stat from cache items.

My experience as well. I have done bounties only with my Barb and 3 out of the 7 legendaries I have so far from bounties have been not for my class (2 DH cloaks and a Mad monarch's with INT).

Seems like smart loot is toned down from caches. But of course random is random.
04/16/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Lucx
To my knowledge, cache contents are determined when your character receives them, not when they are opened.

Blizzard's recent hotfix doesn't support that theory.
They changed it so that caches always drop loot for Normal difficulty precisely because the contents are determined when you open it.
If they were determined when you received it, then the hotfix would not have been needed, since opening on Torment would have still yielded your Normal level loot (since that's where you received the cache).

From this, it would seem that their fix was to change the loot tables of the bags so that they could only ever generate Normal loot, but loot is still determined when you open it.

The only thing that does seem to carry with the cache is the level of the loot that you get from it. Level 70 caches seem to drop level 70 loot, etc.

TL;DR: If cache contents were determined at time of receipt then the recent hotfix to lock caches to Normal level loot would not have been needed.
04/16/2014 06:45 PMPosted by Nevalistis

As I mentioned, such coincidences can occur, but should generally be rare. I did experience something similar earlier today, just to check and make sure for myself. A cache obtained by my 70 Wizard gave my 60 Barbarian a set of level 70 shoulders with Strength, but the next cache I gave to my 60 Demon Hunter gave her a level 70 wand with Intelligence.

I don't think you're right here - I have opened multiple caches on a different character to the one which acquired them and they always rolled smart loot for the opener. That wand was intelligence because wands always roll intelligence - they're a Wizard-only item, so they should be exempt from smart loot rolling dexterity or strength on them.

My experience has been that the level of the cache items is determined by the character which acquires them but the stats are generated by smart loot for the character which opens the cache.

In my opinion, this should be acknowledged and embraced as a feature - it's a nice bonus to gear up alternate characters (which smart loot makes far more difficult than it was before). Paragon levels and account-bound items are supposed to encourage us to use multiple characters, and being able to farm on one character to get items for another should be an extension of that.
04/17/2014 01:58 AMPosted by Shot
My experience has been that the level of the cache items is determined by the character which acquires them but the stats are generated by smart loot for the character which opens the cache.

I'd guess that when you receive the cache it is generated with some ilvl appropriate for the level of your character. Then when you open it the loot that it generates is based off of the ilvl of the cache.

In my opinion, this should be acknowledged and embraced as a feature - it's a nice bonus to gear up alternate characters

While this is a nice side effect, I'd bet that the feature is actually there to prevent your low level characters farming caches for your higher level characters.

For example, without this you could get a character from 1-70 in adventure mode, stockpiling caches along the way ready for level 70.
hey are you able to check up on bugged abilities? if So crusaders blazing sweep rune for Sweep Attack is bugged and not applying strength. :(
04/16/2014 06:33 PMPosted by ttylz
I did bounties with my low level barb and opened them with my 70 wizard.
The gear that dropped had int, but was the level of my barb.

As I mentioned, such coincidences can occur, but should generally be rare. I did experience something similar earlier today, just to check and make sure for myself. A cache obtained by my 70 Wizard gave my 60 Barbarian a set of level 70 shoulders with Strength, but the next cache I gave to my 60 Demon Hunter gave her a level 70 wand with Intelligence.

It would take hundreds of tests to be absolutely certain on an individual level. Luckily, that's something our Quality Assurance team has already been thoroughly over. ;) Items found within should be dependent on the Horadric Cache's acquirer if they roll smart loot, and the Difficulty in which they are acquired or opened should have no bearing on the loot produced.
04/17/2014 02:30 AMPosted by phyber

While this is a nice side effect, I'd bet that the feature is actually there to prevent your low level characters farming caches for your higher level characters.

For example, without this you could get a character from 1-70 in adventure mode, stockpiling caches along the way ready for level 70.

I was referring to the primary stats rolling for the character which opens them - I agree that the level should be set when you acquire them.

It's nice to farm a little on a well geared level 70 character to pass the caches to another character you've just got to level 70 who has nothing (and couldn't farm the caches nearly as fast)
If they believe the cache rolls for the acquirer instead of the character that opens it, they need to run this back through QA. It is well known by the player base the cache definitely rolls for the character that opens not acquires.
I actually opened 5 caches that I got with my 70 monk on my low level crusader and the items were geared towards my crusader but were all level 70 so were basically useless BUT if what you want to do is help gear a level 70 character then you should have no trouble getting items from a cache you got with your more geared character.
Items found within should be dependent on the Horadric Cache's acquirer if they roll smart loot, and the Difficulty in which they are acquired or opened should have no bearing on the loot produced.

WHY?! What the Hell?! I have increased legend drop rate for monsters I slay and loot I acquire in Master. In T1. In T2. In T3. In literally *every* other place that the game has an random-number-based die-roll to determine my loot, I've got a legend chance that goes up with my difficulty.

Please, just like you do with hotfix threads, please post a three sentence explanation for *WHY* you made this design choice. What were you hoping to accomplish by putting the Normal-farm cache on equal footing with the hard fought T6 cache?

-AHMAD
04/16/2014 02:15 PMPosted by BlackStar44
I want to start farming items for my wizard now that i am quite happy with my DH. Can i farm cache bags with my DH and open them with my wizard for items? Or will all the items be tailored to my DH? Thanks!

I can confirm, you can farm cashe with any of your character. When open with a certain character the items will drop to the character that opens the cashe.

I've been doing that with my hunter and opening the cashe with my crusader. You can check out my crusader, it's all str items.
It may be a long shot that I can get some clarification on this qoute

It would take hundreds of tests to be absolutely certain on an individual level. Luckily, that's something our Quality Assurance team has already been thoroughly over. ;) Items found within should be dependent on the Horadric Cache's acquirer if they roll smart loot, and the Difficulty in which they are acquired or opened should have no bearing on the loot produced.

I usually do my act 1 bounties on Torment 1 difficulty. Yesterday, after turning in the quest and collecting my cache, I opened it up and a Tal Rasha Chest dropped from the cache.

How is this possible if the difficulty has no bearing? Is the fact that I received a Torment only set item from a cache unintended/bugged? Or is it possible to receive Torment only legendary items from a cache if you complete the bounties with the difficulty set at Torment 1 or above? Or is it possible to get this item from a cache on any difficulty, thus voiding the Torment only limitation.

I am aware that you're not supposed to get Torment only legendary's from Kadala using Bloodshards but I'm not totally sure what the limitation are with cache loot, if any at all. I would appreciate some clarification,
i got that ring that reduces set req. by 1 from the cache on my barb that rolled dex
Sorry Nev but you are most definitely wrong. 2 days ago, i farmed 81 caches on a monk, opened them on a wizard, and 100% of the legs (8 in total) had INT rolls.