Energy Twister - will it ever be worth using?

Wizard
This skill sounds like so much fun but in reality it's just bad. There is no point using it right now and there never was. Well, wicked wind was in one of the CM builds but that's it.

Why can't blizzard make it so that it follows monsters like the one crusader skill? Or make something else with it. Why waste such an awesome spell?

God damnit.
Ya I really want it to be good but it's currently pointless in most cases. The twisters should go in a straight line and suck in nearby mobs tossing them about. The damage is decent, but the random pathing just kills it.
04/16/2014 11:59 AMPosted by squarcle
Ya I really want it to be good but it's currently pointless in most cases. The twisters should go in a straight line and suck in nearby mobs tossing them about. The damage is decent, but the random pathing just kills it.

There are so many problems with the spell it's not even funny. It takes way too long for a twister to reach the mobs unless you are in melee range.

The mechanis of Storm Chaser is okay but the twister itself should travel faster and follow the mobs. Otherwise it's just pointless.
I've got the straight line weapon. Its still awful, only wicked wind even has the potential to land all the ticks on enemies. Gale force has some use for Mirror ball conflag - Just weaving it in gives you 15% damage to magic missile, and doesn't take long enough for conflagrate stacks to drop.

If it moved faster, it wouldn't do much damage to things it passed over. If it moved slower, it would take too long to get anywhere. If it stayed still like wicked wind, it still requires the mob to stand still and doesn't provide any AoE anyways.

Personally i'd like to just see it turned into the druid's hurricane (Or I guess sleet storm), with a bunch of elemental variants since non-arcane wizards don't have as many options with spenders as arcane does.
ET builds died the day that CM was removed from the game.

RIP CM/WW shocknado shards :(
It has bad coverage, bad damage, and no utility. One or more of these things needs to be buffed.

Damage is bad because the tornado will be touching an enemy for about 1 second. 1000% / 6 = 167% weapon damage. That is signature spell level damage, awful. They'd need to at minimum double the twister damage to fix it that way, preferably triple it.

They could increase coverage, as Aestus says make it like Druid hurricane (so not channeled like sleet storm). However 1000% dmg over 6 seconds would still not be worth a skillbar slot without some good utility.

For utility, knocking enemies up or around could be cool. But if current damage and other mechanics were left the same, it would have to be some seriously powerful and consistent CC.
The Twisters should suck up monsters like Dorothy and Toto and move them away with the Twister. Although I suppose that overlaps too much with Black Hole....
04/16/2014 01:13 PMPosted by AndyChrono
The Twisters should suck up monsters like Dorothy and Toto and move them away with the Twister. Although I suppose that overlaps too much with Black Hole....

Witch Doctors have a skill called Piranhas - Piranhado that does exactly that. A twister tornado-like thing that sucks monsters into it. Except it's like wild piranhas fishes or something.
Actually, they're also BUGGED now in a way that, if you're standing at the top of stairs and you want to cast them on a tier of geometry below the stairs, they just won't go past the stairs no matter where you put your cursor ( this is for wicked wind specifically, didn't test with anything else.)

Of course, this isn't the main issue which is...... wicked wind doesn't benefit from IAS like it did. Granted old WW was pretty busted but couldn't the devs met a middle ground with the spell ?

Even if you were to employ the use of the 2h ET staff and use the best rune raging storm..... it would still suck I'm sure. The hit radius on the tornaodoes is pure !@#, and even if throw 4 or 5 out it doesn't matter because hydra does more dmg than the damn tornaodes and that $%^- is just sad.

I love when people are like OP wizards, omg, class has so much, but in reality we only have like 3 REAL builds, oh and two of them are heavily, heavily, heavily gear dependent. So most people have one good build AT/DIS, or you roll with something janky and make do because your tired of sleeping while doing t3 rifts.

Hell RLTW tornadoes for barbs only do 60% weapon dmg, but they practically do more damage than WW because RLTW tornadoes hit really, really, really fast. *facepalm...... the day when 60% tornadoes are more useful than 735%.

TBH, raging storm actually does good dmg, but the fact that you have to employ the use of a busted 2handed weapon to make it less random, is just...... ugh.

Let's just throw it on the skills not to use list like
diamond skin
hydra
ice armor ( yea its got some uses with swirly !@#$ but rly, other than crystallize, useless)

storm armor ( unless your new to at/dis/rof and you can't sustain costs) ( the run speed one has always been pretty meh unless you're speed farming normal caches.)

blizzard, yea really im not joking, use frost nova mist instead, does better dmg. get cdr, you'll love it.

meteor, just stop trying to make meteor builds, please, unless using CD meteor.

shock pulse - RIP to pieces living lightning

wave of force - most underrated ROS skill but not really that great above t2, unless you're all fire, and even then questionable. Also most lazy skill redo in the history of redos - that animation though ?
The really need to take a look at that. Guess they wanted the mechanics to be like the winddruid back in d2:lod however the difference is that wind druid's nado were instand upfront damage not that garbage we got @ 167% damage/sec
wicked wind has some minor potential, but the damage is too low to bother with it. arcane twister is a skill that has a bunch of drawbacks and ZERO positives. bad damage, high cost, unreliable, a text book way to design a bad skill. maybe if it homed in on enemies rather than flying off into nothing

druid tornado was also 50/50 magic/physical so nothing was immune to it, a big deal in diablo 2. also great at destroying people in duels.
Lot of people suggest having them suck monsters in but has anyone been able to test http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-ess-of-johan this legendary with energy twister? I'm guessing it really won't make enough of a difference because like someone else said 1000/6 = 167% per second and you're lucky if it does more than 2 seconds worth of that. So I'd say the tornados need their damage buffed, the speed of their movement needs to be doubled, they need a vortex effect and the legendary that makes them travel in a straight line needs to be changed to a 1hander.

Right now Energy twister is completely off the map of being a viable build and this needs to be addressed by the devs.

I did get Valtheks Rebuke by the way and it is underwhelming not because of what it is does but just because Energy Twister its self is not effective. Like I said Valtheks Rebuke needs to be changed to a 1hander.

Changes to twisters:

Lightning Twister - shocks near by enemies for lightning within a 10 yard radius.
Flame - All near by enemies with in a 10 yard radius are burned for 150% weapon damage over the 6 seconds of the twisters life span.
Cold - enemies with a 10 yard radius are Chilled, with a 25% chance to freeze enemies on hit
Arcane - Increased damage to 2500%
Ess of Johan has a very long internal cooldown, sadly.
167%/sec for 6 seconds in a 15 yard radius would be pretty good actually, especially on low torment levels. Could snap-shot it with arcane dynamo and it could give low AP usage builds like slow channeling or mirrorball something to do with their excess arcane power.
Bliz effectively killed this skill completely. The problem is why they still keep it in the game. So one day, they can nerf all other skills and try to re-buff it?!?
rip build diversity
Blizzard decided it was too overpowered.

It's in the trash bin now.

Just move on to the next skill, but DONT post about it.

Otherwise, it will get the frozen orb treatment.
04/16/2014 08:41 PMPosted by Osterus
Blizzard decided it was too overpowered.

It's in the trash bin now.

Just move on to the next skill, but DONT post about it.

Otherwise, it will get the frozen orb treatment.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. Blizzard has become 'big brother'.

It's hilarious.
sits right next to charged bolts and toads.

bad tracking, poor tradeoffs, too much of a spread and not enough distance.

to name a few.
ET has issues, right now I just use it for the fire debuff for my EB / blades casting..nothing more. I toss a couple up in melee range and move on till it debuffs in 4 seconds. They're afraid to give it higher proc co-efficient which makes no sense since they completely nerfed it's speed co-efficient and AS modifying it's ticks as well as it's energy cost is SO high that it would be impossible to spam without completely sacrificing actual damage passive just to use the 167/second damage which essentially makes no sense.

It needed to be able to suck mobs in it, they liked the concept in alpha I have no idea why they just abandoned it when beta hit.

For being a main spell though, no one will ever main it - it's too ineffective. Nerf something in 3 ways and the skill is suddenly bad? Imagine that Blizzard, imagine that...