Make Legendary Items Legendary

General Discussion
Can you please take _ALL_ of the legendary items which have no passives and add something? It's really stupid to have a legendary item which has only the potential for higher stats. That's not legendary, that's just good.

Running out of good ideas? Here:

Chance to become invisible for x seconds
Chance to spawn one of those fat monsters that suicide bombs (blows up enemies, not you)
Chance to spawn one of those little teddy bears/unicorns
Chance to change a normal monster to a champion
Chance that crowd control cast on you will instead be cast on monsters in x radius
Chance to spawn an arcane sentry
Chance to spawn x frozen orbs
Chance to spawn a gem
Chance to taunt all monsters within x to attack you for y seconds
Chance to reveal elite pack on map
Chance to revive as one of those fat suicide monsters (no item damage on suicide). You go back to normal after suicide
Chance to become immune to reflect damage for x seconds
Your life on hit is increased by up to x% based on your current hp
Gain up to x more exp based on your %life
Chance to stun up to x enemies you aren't attacking (on attacking another)
Chance to gain a random passive skill for x seconds

These are just off the top of my head, not too creative but a hell of a lot more exciting than:

LEGENDARY BELT
+400 Intelligence
+400 Vitality
+88 All Resistances
Increases Pickup Radius by 2
It's really stupid. There is absolutely nothing legendary about the items in the group that you mentioned at the bottom of your post either. You see "Legendary Sword" drop, and it's literally the exact same thing as a normal rare, except it can roll up to 100 higher mainstat or vit and higher damage. Nothing about it actually makes it special other than some slightly higher numbers. How boring.
So some of what you are suggesting already exists in the game and more. Maybe not spawning bears and unicorns but spawning cows http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bovine-bardiche

There are well over 100 unique item affixes in game. Some are very practical and others are just for fun.

You can see a rather complete list here: http://www.d3maxstats.com/?p=specialaffixes

Instead of a thread that says "make legendary items legendary" should say "legendary item affix suggestions." What is legendary is subjective... and as I stated some of what you are asking for exists in the game.
What if somebody would rather have an extra rolled affix than a forced one?

Legendary items have better rolls than rares by design. Shocking as it might be to you, some people might rather have a +30% gold drop than a chance to reveal the location of an elite pack, for example. Non-affix legendaries are still useful, and I dare say the affixed legendary that are TRULY useful is quite small, with many of the affixes being either novelty or situational things that some people might not want, while wanting the better rolls on stats legendaries have.
If legs were really legendary there would not be 100's of them. Legs should be epics in this game and real legs should have the most ridiculous drop rate ever and broken OP if you get it.
I agree. With some legendaries which are simply glorified rares it diminishes the elation from seeing that beam of light. I'm not talking about the disappointment of finding a legendary that simply rolled poorly, or one that isn't suitable for your build, or that legendary where smart loot failed and rolled str for your demon hunter.

But having an item like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/squirts-necklace in the same tier as items that roll such useful secondary skills like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maras-kaleidoscope seems absurd.

They wont fix old legendaries, but hopefully the future legendaries all have interesting, unique properties. I'm pretty sure there are enough vanilla legendaries for certain items that making more vanilla legendaries would lead to complete duplication, which seems to defeat the purpose of legendaries.

I think the general rule of thumb for legendaries should be that if two different legendaries can roll exactly the same properties, then they shouldn't be considered legendaries. Those are rares...
They made it work pretty damn well in D2, I'm sure they can figure it out here too, and even do it better. They keep improving the game and I hope they listen to suggestions like these.

Compare D2 Items:
Some uniques could be the best.
Some rares could be the best.
Some crafted items could be the best.
Some set items could be the best.
Magic items were used in crafting
Gems were used in crafting
Normal items were used in runewords

to D3 Items:
The best rare can be replaced by a legendary with the exact same stats but higher. Therefore rares are never the best.
There are no crafted items, only different ways to make rares and legendaries
Set items are legendaries with potential group bonuses. Therefore they are potentially the best, depending on the passive on your legendary (if any =/ )
Magic items are used for nothing
Gems are used for nothing other than filler for forging cost
Normal items do nothing and are used for nothing
There are no runewords

The point I'm trying to make here is that in D2 there was a feeling that even if you got that perfect unique, there's some lucky guy out there with an extremely rare ... rare, which is better. And someone out there with both luck and effort has made an even better crafted item, which required low gems and magic items, which made them valuable to many.

In D3 I look at my gear and literally anything rare I don't even have to think, I know I can immediately replace it with practically the first legendary I find. And once I've gotten that I can just replace it with whatever legendary comes along with better stats than that one. It's just a little bit less satisfying than the kind of mystery involved with D2, where you know there is still that chance no matter how small, that you will score a sick godly rare that literally no one else on all of bnet will have.
04/15/2014 02:19 PMPosted by ßlizzard
They made it work pretty damn well in D2, I'm sure they can figure it out here too, and even do it better. They keep improving the game and I hope they listen to suggestions like these.

Compare D2 Items:
Some uniques could be the best.
Some rares could be the best.
Some crafted items could be the best.
Some set items could be the best.
Magic items were used in crafting
Gems were used in crafting
Normal items were used in runewords

to D3 Items:
The best rare can be replaced by a legendary with the exact same stats but higher. Therefore rares are never the best.
Set items are legendaries with potential group bonuses. Therefore they are potentially the best, depending on the passive on your legendary (if any =/ )
There are no runewords

The point I'm trying to make here is that in D2 there was a feeling that even if you got that perfect unique, there's some lucky guy out there with an extremely rare ... rare, which is better. And someone out there with both luck and effort has made an even better crafted item, which required low gems and magic items, which made them valuable to many.

In D3 I look at my gear and literally anything rare I don't even have to think, I know I can immediately replace it with practically the first legendary I find. And once I've gotten that I can just replace it with whatever legendary comes along with better stats than that one. It's just a little bit less satisfying than the kind of mystery involved with D2, where you know there is still that chance no matter how small, that you will score a sick godly rare that literally no one else on all of bnet will have.

Mate, back on D3V rares could outroll legendaries in some cases. Then people cried because WAAAH I GOT A LEGENDARY AND IT'S WORSE THAN A RARE OMG THIS IS WORSE THAN A WAR CRIME, so Blizzard changed it. They're not changing it back, you can be sure of that.
People whined because legendaries sucked and were worthless.

Rares could roll better than legendaries in D2 and everyone liked it. Because it was balanced properly. There was only a very very slim chance and therefore you had practically no hope of getting a godly rare, but they did exist.

The reason people didn't like D3V is that you would get a legendary and it would suck compared to the last 5 rares you found laying around.
04/15/2014 01:43 PMPosted by ßlizzard
Can you please take _ALL_ of the legendary items which have no passives and add something? It's really stupid to have a legendary item which has only the potential for higher stats. That's not legendary, that's just good.

Running out of good ideas? Here:

Chance to become invisible for x seconds
Chance to spawn one of those fat monsters that suicide bombs (blows up enemies, not you)
Chance to spawn one of those little teddy bears/unicorns
Chance to change a normal monster to a champion
Chance that crowd control cast on you will instead be cast on monsters in x radius
Chance to spawn an arcane sentry
Chance to spawn x frozen orbs
Chance to spawn a gem
Chance to taunt all monsters within x to attack you for y seconds
Chance to reveal elite pack on map
Chance to revive as one of those fat suicide monsters (no item damage on suicide). You go back to normal after suicide
Chance to become immune to reflect damage for x seconds
Your life on hit is increased by up to x% based on your current hp
Gain up to x more exp based on your %life
Chance to stun up to x enemies you aren't attacking (on attacking another)
Chance to gain a random passive skill for x seconds

These are just off the top of my head, not too creative but a hell of a lot more exciting than:

LEGENDARY BELT
+400 Intelligence
+400 Vitality
+88 All Resistances
Increases Pickup Radius by 2

One of the main criticisms I have with the game is that Legendaries are simply plain with just higher stats compared to Rares.

There needs to be more Legendaries with interesting abilities. Cross-Class abilities, Enemy abilities, and just silly abilities in general. Take your example:

Legendary Belt
+400 Main Stat
+400 Vit
+80 All res
7% chance to summon Zombie Tower upon crit hit
Pick Up Rad +2yd

That item sounds a lot better than a regular Legendary Belt.

Devs should just be given free reign and have fun designing items.
It's not the items

it's the system, it's how the combat, skills, items, and the #'s interact with one another.

for some reason d3 saw reason to huge #'s that jump drastically over a few levels.

this is why so many items in this game feel utterly useless.
Ineed, and they even took away some of the things that made certain legends good. Like Boj Angler no longer have attack speed. It's bad enough that there are so many legends with only marginal stat increases but there are multiple items for each slot that do absolutely nothing. Shoulders have profane pauldrons, vile ward, and corruptions, all glorified rares.
I think they either have to give each and every single Legendaries a unique affix, rather than the ever-so-boring '+6 random properties'

OR

Create another tier of items above Legendary called (insert the tier name here), and make them truly unique and exciting.

All the '+6 random properties' legendary items really upset me knowing that the devs could get away with something as lazy and generic as that in a game so centered around in finding loots and gears.
Legendaries should be able to roll +% skills dmg on the 2 part of the 4:2 so that it is not taking away from the main stats/sockets of the weapon/armor.
they cant make legendary items legendary, because the forums will be filled with scrublords crying for nerfs, just look at shard of hate
Good luck getting legendary legs... They haven't figured it out yet but they will spend time and resources nerfing things... you can guarantee that.
04/15/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Tizzy
What if somebody would rather have an extra rolled affix than a forced one?

If there was a leg with extra rolled affix then everyone would simply go for that item because it would be more powerful than the others. If you instead mean a 6 affix leg that doesn't have a "forced" stat on it... well there are plenty of basic legs that have 6 affixes on them.

Furthermore... I'm interested to hear what good itemization is to you so that I can pick your system apart. Go ahead show me a mock up of gear with exciting stats on it. I'm not concerned about the numbers tuned for combat just give me an idea of how things should be.
Perhaps legendaries should gain even more affixes? 1 or 2 more than they already have now. To make them feel really legendary.

There are no runewords

Sounds like you want each type of item in the game to have more use. Not an unreasonable request I suppose. A lot of games have items that are useless and drop for no more reason than to give you a small reward for your time. I can't think of any game that doesn't have items like this.

This sounds very grindy to me and there was nothing but complains all along with regards to gear and itemization hence smart drops. So I can understand that you like D2 better... and maybe in some ways it is better... but I have to think the majority of the people playing D3 enjoy the features of smart drops and less RNG in the gear. I read the forums quite a bit and it is endless qq about drop rates and how this legendary or that legendary rolled terrible. Your system adds way more variance to the game and I don't see that as an improvement.

04/15/2014 07:32 PMPosted by Kadirra
Perhaps legendaries should gain even more affixes? 1 or 2 more than they already have now. To make them feel really legendary.

Ya I can see this happening. The game would have to be re-balanced around it though. I wouldn't expect a change like this any time soon.
There's a good amount of legendaries that are just slightly better than rare items. Combine that with 2 handed weapons sucking in general. That's A LOT of boring items in a game/genre that is all about getting better and exciting loot. Not only that but the bad legendaries seem weighted to drop even more than the items that are worthy of being legendary. Just sad.