can you get items higher than your level?

General Discussion
I'm not sure if this is intended, but I always thought gear drop scales on your level. Currently, I am getting powerlvled by a friend. Occasionally, I see a lvl 70 item drop for me, while I'm at lvl 40. (I asked my friends and no they did not drop it) This hit me up cause this might have to do with the other post that claims group drops, where drops may be allocated to one person, (and in this case, my friends drop are allocated to me thus I seem to occasionally get a lvl 70 item)

Of course, if it is intended that I may get lvl 70 items while being lvl 40, then close this issue.
The game's level is based on the character who created it. If you made the game your friends would be getting level 40 stuff.
obviously my friend created it. Im getting gears near my lvl 95% of the time. occasionally, I get a lvl 70 item, thus my question
The game session has a level. When you look above the minimap it says something like "Torment I (70)" The (70) indicates the level of the game. Drops are based on that number, and it is tied to the level of the Party Guide.
04/15/2014 01:27 PMPosted by Polaris
The game session has a level. When you look above the minimap it says something like "Torment I (70)" The (70) indicates the level of the game. Drops are based on that number, and it is tied to the level of the Party Guide.

So you're saying if it says 70, while I'm still lvl 1, it is intended that I can get lvl 70 gears? that's mainly my question.
04/15/2014 01:28 PMPosted by Jeremy
04/15/2014 01:27 PMPosted by Polaris

So you're saying if it says 70, while I'm still lvl 1, it is intended that I can get lvl 70 gears? that's mainly my question.

Yep, that's the way it's currently intended to work! A level 1 character will get level 70 gear if they've joined a game made by a 70. This might be something that we take another look at later on down the road, but it's hard to tell at this point. As a side note, there are a lot of level reduced items, so be sure to keep an eye out for them whenever you join your higher level friends game. You just might find an upgrade sooner than you think!
From my experience, a level 1 character will get level 1 items, even if the game level is 70 :o
04/15/2014 02:48 PMPosted by Grimiku
Yep, that's the way it's currently intended to work! A level 1 character will get level 70 gear if they've joined a game made by a 70. This might be something that we take another look at later on down the road, but it's hard to tell at this point. As a side note, there are a lot of level reduced items, so be sure to keep an eye out for them whenever you join your higher level friends game. You just might find an upgrade sooner than you think!

Are there any plans to implement the system that scales lower level characters to their high level friends, so they can play together? I know the console version is getting that, what about us?

This has not been my experience. I've had people in my clan join my game's when I was 70 doing torment, and they were pre 60, and they received items equal to their level. I believe the only exception has been gems, and I could be wrong about that.
04/15/2014 02:51 PMPosted by DoomBringer
From my experience, a level 1 character will get level 1 items, even if the game level is 70 :o

This has also been my own experience. I joined a friend's level-70 game on my monk alt when I was in the 20's, and most of the loot I picked up was my own level, with the occasional level-70 piece thrown in.
funny to say that its ok to get lvl 70 items on a lvl 1 char ....as a gm probably u don't know how it works
I joined many games or plvl players and all the gear that dropped was for the average player lvl if the guy was lvl 40 we both recived the same lvl on items
in this caze im lvl 70 and I recive lvl 1 items and his lvl 1 and recives lvl 70 items right ?
doesent seem right to me pal
and u cant say that items scale with difficulty cuz I plvl players on t6 and items were the players lvl ...so look up some more mr gm
I don't think it does scale, I joined a game made by a lvl 70 and lvl 60, and got lvl 60 items...

I don't find this too be true, I have had 4 other classes besides my main all power leveled by friends who were max level, and I found gear according to my level.......
Not saying it is a bad thing, just the blues post is inaccurate.

This is incorrect.

If clvl <= glvl, you'll get gear with level equal to clvl
If clvl > glvl, you'll get gear with level equal to glvl

clvl = character level
glvl = game level
Similarly, a sub-70 character opening a 70 Horadric Cache will get sub-70 items. It seems that items will scale down from the game level to the player level, but not up.

I had a friend level me from 68-70 (he was 70) all the items that dropped were for MY level. Items in caches were level 70 though.
this just goes to show that not every blue post is the holy gospel ;p

p.s. I can also confirm that items dropped match character level, regardless of who makes the game. Anyone that has power-leveled anyone knows this :D