Please explain Paper DPS vs elemental/proc DMG

General Discussion
Hey guys,

I don't play a ton but I do when I can. Really liking RoS, but I want to be able to get my Barb to the next level. Right now I can run T1 solo or in a group, but it feels a little slow. I can run T2 pr T3 but I feel like I'm leeching if I do.

My paper DPS is 430k and it will be around 500k once I roll a socket in my spear (failed like 5 times now).

So now to my question - I see a lot of people talking about elemental DMG and proc coefficient. I've googled and have yet to see it explained very well. Could someone please explain the concept to me and explain why paper DPS isn't enough? Is there synergy between elemental DMG in skills and elemental DMG in weapons? Why doesn't elemental DMG and proc coefficient factor into the DPS CALC? Maybe you could look at my build and give me advice on how to improve. Maybe a blue can shed some light on the situation? I'll happily take all the "newb" and "your toon sucks" comments, but I really need help and I feel like I can't be the only one out there who doesn't understand the Paper DPS / elemental skill / elemental weapon / proc coefficient synergy. Thanks guys!
easiest way to explain it is any stats that has a orange diamond next to the stat does not add to your dps sheet, toughness or healing.

this includes things like %dmg to frost skills and % dmg to magic missle

while they boost your damage alot they are not calculated into your sheet DPS

paper dps = the number you see under damage in you inventory
elemental dps = the amount of % frost skill damage or fire damage ect (this will not add damage to your paper dps) but will increase your dps

like your helm that adds ancient spear dmg and your weapon .. that does not show up in your paper dps but your ancient spear will hit like a truck
Lenyo and Loki thank you guys so much. This is making a LOT more sense to me now. So for my build - right now I have the following skills

Weapon Throw / Ricochet (fire DMG) - crits for 1.5 m
Avalanche / Tectonic Rift (I assume physical DMG) crits for 1m
Ancient Spear / Boulder Toss (I assume physical DMG) crits for 25m

So if I understand correctly, if I rolled a stat that increased physical DMG BY 10%, weapon throw would be unchanged, Avalanche would crit for 1.1m, and Boulder Toss would crit for 27.5m. Is this correct?

Conversely if I got a 10% fire DMG roll! the Weapon Throw would crit for 1.65m, while Avalanche and Boulder Toss would be unchanged. Is this correct?

Now with all that said, does elemental weapon DMG factor into this equation at all? For example if I get a 10% physical skills roll! would I be better off with a weapon that does (x-x2) DMG than a weapon that does cold or holy? If I got an item with a 10% fire skills roll, would I be better with weapons that do (x-x2) fire skills damage than I would if I got a weapon that does damage as physical or damage as cold/holy/lightning?

Last question - how does Thurderfury factor into all this? Seems to be everyone's weapon of choice, and I don't really understand why.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate your smarts!
Bump. Still looking for answers above ^^^^^ to see how elemental skills DMG affects weapons with DMG as elemental. Also curious to know why everyone seems hellbent on getting Thunderfury. Thanks guys.
Elemental weapon DMG - does it matter which one you get? Anyone? Please see my other questions above too. Thanks guys!
Bump
It depends on the skill. If it has an element (for example, your Ricochet), then it converts all your damage to that element, regardless of what element you had on the weapon. In that case, it doesn't matter.

However, if the skill doesn't have its own element, then it'll use the element of your weapon. Note, though, that if you have gear with Fire skills deal +X% damage (for example), it will only apply to fire skills. Skills without element combined with a fire weapon will deal fire damage, but won't be boosted by this mod. So it probably doesn't matter, but it could in some cases.
04/17/2014 11:20 PMPosted by Decoherence
It depends on the skill. If it has an element (for example, your Ricochet), then it converts all your damage to that element, regardless of what element you had on the weapon. In that case, it doesn't matter.

However, if the skill doesn't have its own element, then it'll use the element of your weapon. Note, though, that if you have gear with Fire skills deal +X% damage (for example), it will only apply to fire skills. Skills without element combined with a fire weapon will deal fire damage, but won't be boosted by this mod. So it probably doesn't matter, but it could in some cases.

I'm not sure if there are any runes that Don't have an element type at this point. So at this moment... element type on weapon does not matter, the higher the number the better. Also thunderfury is a good weapon because its a good proc. All you have to do is read the description. Its 300%+ weapon dmg that hits a few targets and happens pretty frequently
Ignore elemental weapons, they do nothing and have no effect on your damage other than they're an affix you can get that increases your weapons base damage.

Currently there is an issue with the %damage affix interacting with the elemental damage affixes, as noted in the Known Issues for 2.0.4 thread on the bug report forum:

The %Damage affix on weapons is currently only applying a benefit to weapons with the physical damage type and has no effect on weapons that deal elemental damage.

If you really want to know what your DPS is after elemental damage from the %elemental affix, both diablo3tracker.com and diabloprogress.com have listings that break everything down quite well.

04/17/2014 11:25 PMPosted by Minami
I'm not sure if there are any runes that Don't have an element type at this point.

If they're not elemental, they're physical which has a %dmg affix the same as the others.
04/17/2014 09:18 AMPosted by Lenyo
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986398637

Everything is answered for you in this thread. :)