I'm falling sleep while doing rifts

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 76 Next
I like the current variety of atmosphere/scenery in the rifts currently and wish there were more options that could occur.

The two biggest improvements for me are:

1. your afore mentioned density.
2. reward. Not just the quantity, but the quality.

To elaborate on 2 a bit. My preference would be a slightly higher gold drop in rifts, say 10 or 15%. And as regards to items, I would eliminate the chance of Blue (magic) items as these are totally useless, if Blues are needed for crafting materials, we can farm bounties. I would also increase the quality of the rift rares to ensure more properties per item and/or a percentage increase to the minimum value rolls for rift loot.

I also like some of the mentioned ideas regarding special events/quests in rifts. I am hesitant to suggest a higher legendary drop rate or similar for such quests though as I feel this would lead to more of the destination/targeted/route farming that you seem to be so averse to and end up getting nerfed later, causing more forum unrest.

To promote more exploration of rifts, as opposed to go in kill boss - get out, I would also like to see some sort of reward for clearing a full rift or the majority of a rift. Perhaps something along the lines of a bounty bag if you clear at least 90% of each level awarded when you claim your xp/gold. This should only apply to multi-level rifts. Perhaps scaling the reward based on the size of the rift. Say a 10% chance * levels in the rift that the bag contains an extra item or greater chance the bag contains a set/legendary. Safe guards should be put in place to discourage split farming.

The idea that has been mentioned of more than one rift boss is also appealing. If a rift is large enough and has enough monsters, the counter should reset after killing the first boss and spawn another after enough monsters have been killed. Reset, repeat.

Just my 2 cents.
Currently the only challenge with the game is torment difficulty. But simply switching to a higher difficulty that you can't clear efficiently is so demoralising. They really should have more reward systems such as boss rush mode, arcade mode etc that gives you scores for each game or rift you complete. Seriously score is such a basic concept that exist since day one of video games.
This is personal insight as to what gets my blood pumping doing a rift run. Finding a pygmy horde, and running into a cluster of elites+champions mere miliseconds before the guardian spawns. while countless other combinations of "fodder" monsters and "brutes" fill the background...

The sheer chaos that ensues makes me go from a "Meh... wheres the next legendary going to drop" mindset to a "Holy flying hell! Call in fire support, level everything" kind of mentality. These things are the reason I farm bounties, so I can experience these glorious moments inside of rifts more often.

But honestly some of the things you guys could do to notch up the spice factor on the rifts would be to add extras, and not just monsters, as that's a given. But things like random triggerable(or not) "events" similar to the survival events/shrines outside of these rifts.

A glimpse into what this type of "event" could be is a random monster in a pack is carrying a "flare gun" and if allowed to pop, it would summon a small battalion of monsters to crash down and engage the party members.

Another method to this would be simply "springing" a trap, walk over a randomly placed "trigger" zone (maybe 1/4th a cell in size) and suddenly monsters unburrow themselves, leap from the shadows, and again rain from the sky in an attempt to stymie you and your parties adventure.

One thing that always got to me is in the lore of the game, a lot of the "sub" bosses you fight are considered "plentiful" in the bowels of hell, why is it then that we fight them either once, or one at a time? Well fret not as I've got a decently non game breaking idea for this inside of the rifts.

"Romaing Generals"

Each level has a chance to spawn a roaming general(s) guarded by a champion pack and 2 elites, these generals wouldn't be the top of the line versions we fight 1v1 or 1v4, but the mass produced model, maybe double/triple the HP of champions depending on the "general". But keep the RNG factor, some levels won't spawn one, while others may be JAM packed with these nightmares.

The same could be done with a rift guardian, but instead of suddenly appearing out of thin air and waiting a moment to "phase" into reality, they could spawn a few hell portal which the champs/elites and guardian themselves emerge from, a bit of dramatic flash before the show down.

This serves multiple purposes, the biggest of which is making players actually engaged in the content, because suddenly rifts are no longer a breeze you can sneeze at blow through while watching a movie in the background, but something they are going to have to keep a keen eye on as danger could literally crop up from any direction.

As it stands rifts are just rehashed act areas with nothing special but a lightning effect and randomly cobbled together monster groupings on a "random" tile set which is a nice change of pace, but ends up being roughly the same as before at the end of the day. The only stark contrast from doing a rift run and an old exp run is the guardian.
- Just making sure rifts dont have large empty space between fights would make rifts alot more enticing as well as more elite packs.
- Rifts should have the potential to drop Hoaradric caches, rift key stones, and blood shards from any monster, but at a low rate.
- I like when the lighting of rifts are dark, with evil colors like red, and how they can change lighting when the rift guardian dies, or for some other crazy reason, and when music goes nuts during a rift guardian it gets you really into it.
- It would be awesome if there was a chance for 1-4 rift guardians to spawn at the same time or throughout the rift.
- Treasure goblins should have a higher legendary drop rate inside of rifts.
- There should be more maps that rifts can potentially roll, aswell as maps that are not even within the game.
- There should be added lore in some rare random rifts that could confuse players into thinking of new possibles along the story line itself.
- Each rift guardian should have there own set, that only they themselves can drop upon death. Ex) Lord of Bells Set, that only the Lord of Bells can drop.

*and on a side note: PLEASE tell the developers to added diferent visual elements that each set provides. Like make Tal Rashas Glow upon the entire set being completed. Or for what i just said before if the Lord of Bells set is completed: you yourself turn into a Boiven or something of that nature.*
If you want to add actual engagement and enjoyability to rifts, you can't pull from the rest of the game - b/c the rest of the game is no different than rifts. There are some things you can add that will be fun aside from the inherent novelty they would offer -

Competitive rifts (already on the way)

Random rift affixes that boost the loot quality for players who can tailor their build and gear to completing the rifts (see: PoE)

Timed rifts - either endless ones that keep getting harder, with better loot, and/or very short duration rifts that have excellent loot, but you can only spend a very short amount of time in it.

The closest thing I find to excitement in rifts is the few times I've seen 10+ loot pigs on the screen. That's pretty cool. I also agree with the people who say that the rift boss being harder, but dropping a legendary guaranteed would be fun.
I think these points would help a lot:
1. Increase maps variety, they seem to be the same ones over and over and have mini quests inside of them,
2. More Cursed Chests, with more tasks/different tasks to complete. Or less but guarantee a legend inside.
3. Portals to take you to areas such as the location where you have to escape to find the chest
4. Increase Gold drops and also increase gold reward for completing rift. Its way too low.
5. Increase Legend drops, or make them better. I always keep getting lame drops, the same lame amulets, shoulders and often the same ones over and over. Why is it that certain drops are so unattainable? I know that the core of Diablo is drops are completely random but I have never seen a witching hour, Ice climbers, shard of hate, thunderfury etc etc drop. And reading through these forums I see the same complaints. I play as much as I can, as I have job family but I was hoping loot 2.0 was going resolve these things?
Anyway its heaps better than before but still off in my opinion. Especially now that BOA is in place.
6. Add a random rare portal to Ubers, they guarantee legend drop.

Thanks for listening!
I personally love that we must do bounties to earn the right to enter a rift. That was so neat to do for the first time. But make the rift epic when we get there. Here is what seems neat to me.

Begin the rift with perhaps five portals in various places in the rift. Let weak white monsters pour out of them to the point I have to clear them out of my next step. Have us fight our way to each portal to close them. As we close them, let increasingly fewer portals spew forth increasingly stronger opponents, with increasingly epic loot chances. Let the last portal or two spit out a mini-boss to defend it, and then let the rift boss come when we've cut off the flow. This would be vastly more goal oriented and exciting than kill X mobs until the boss comes.

From here you could, I'm sure, think of some similiar fun ways to spawn the rift boss.

So add GOALS to spawn the boss. And keep the concept of EARNING the privledge of entering the rift, and epic rewards. I don't care that others will do more of them per hour than me and I can't compete. I want it to feel monumental when I do it. I do not want rifts to be my every moment. They need to be the epic moments. My most challenging moment of gaming, and my most rewarding moment of gaming.
04/21/2014 04:06 PMPosted by Grimiku
I have some questions about this if you guys want to talk about it a little more. I've seen some feedback in other threads about Nephalem Rifts making players “sleepy” (or not exciting enough), but I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more with you. Before I do, though, I'd like to point out that there is some feedback about monster density in Rifts that we're definitely aware of. So, density aside, what are some things that would make Rifts more exciting to you?

Please feel free to free-form your answer. If you’re not sure where to begin, though, I’ve provided some questions below.

• Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
  • Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?
  • Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
  • What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

I want to point out that because they are fully randomized there will be some Rifts that are more exciting than others, but we definitely want them to feel engaging and rewarding. We'd love to hear what you think would improve them in that way.

Atmosphere can have an important impact on making them feel fresh for me, Red and apocalyptic looking fields of misery and night time heaven are great examples. Go further with this, go crazy.

Act 4 and 5 monsters are exciting, frustrating and cool to fight because theyre hard. Everything else is cheesy or boring.

I feel like random stage hazards like meteors, fire or lightning pouring out of the sky and even monsters having different auras for their minions would be good.
Also evil player characters, let us fight an evil barbarian whose really hard and geared and skilled like a player. Pseudo pvp.

A boring rift is anything large and outside like Dalgur Oasis, Fields of Misery, Highlands maps and even act 3 dungeons, theyre so LONG and have no monsters in them. Really frustrating.
A good rift is MONSTERS EVERYWHERE.
I think my biggest issue with rifts and, honestly, the game in general right now is that there's a bit too much RNG. Give us a way to focus that RNG on something we're interested in. As a number of people have pointed out, most legendaries drops end up just being one more forgotten soul in our storage. At first, the legendary an hour or so was great, it felt like we were getting something or at least a chance at something. But now that a number of us are slightly geared up and looking for certain items, it's rather disheartening to spend a couple hours with nothing to show but a few forgotten souls.

I know that members of my clan were actively talking about going back to PoE (which I've not really played, so I can't comment on it's quality over yours, so please do not read it that way) because they've spent days farming for an item that just wouldn't drop. And, really, it's not like we're able to go out and farm for any specific item. One member really, really wanted a shard of hate (pre-nerf/debug). He got lots of legendaries and lots of forgotten souls. And now he's playing your competition.

Having spent a lot of time raiding in WoW, I realize that RNG can screw you and you might not ever get whatever it was you were looking for. I spent lots (likely too much) time farming for certain drops. But at least I knew that if I wanted Item X that I needed to go after Boss Y. The only thing that works this way currently are legendary crafting mats.

I recognize that Diablo is supposed to be a bit of a slot machine where you don't have a clue what's going to come out. I get that. But I think it may be time to give us a chance to at least exert some influence over what comes out.

Gambling, to a degree, addresses this. But it would certainly be nice if we could do something to tell rifts, bounties, whatever to focus on certain things.
Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?

rifts is awesome but there are certain maps i dont like... its 2 act5 maps that spawns way to much, one with the electric walls u get stunned in and the one where u walk on rocks basicly..

Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?

well big groups will give more % to the rift bar, so i guess big groups is more fun to engage

Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?

sure if i could trade rifts would be alot more fun, find something cool and trade it for something u need or whatever, instead of that endless grind for notthing

What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

boring = 7 lvls with low density.. exciting = 1 lvl packed with elites
Q:Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?

A:When I get into a rift with high monster density and lots of elites and champions, I feel exciting.

Q:Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?

A:As long as there are lots of monsters to slain, I am happy

Q:Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?

A:Yes, I am very exciting when I see goblin rifts. I wish you guys can add more of this suprising events in rifts.

Q:What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

A:Most likely High density monster rifts and goblin rifts and a rift when good legs are exciting. A rift with less monsters and huge map to run arund and hardly finding monsters are boring.
Good!

I see lots of passionate individuals posting about all the stuff that needs help.

That cheers me up a little.....at least until the next bounty drop grounds me again.

• Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
  • Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?
  • What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?

[/quote]

First, I'm really glad you're aware of the density issue. That some maps get it so right, providing thrilling battles for even hardened groups of adventurers, makes it all the more heart-breaking and frustrating that so many maps get it wrong. Getting all rifts filled like the best rifts will address 90% of the complaints in this thread.

Rift atmosphere is largely just a bonus, but map type plays a big role in which maps are fun and which are not. Maze maps are just not conducive to efficient team play. Especially when playing in public games, it can be hard enough to keep the team together at all, but maze maps tend to lead to groups splitting up and more solo play. This is not to say that rifts should always be completely linear, but open zones like Dahlgur Oasis and fixed-shape maps with variable interiors like the Cursed Hold have provided my best experiences so far.

As far as monster groups go, I've noticed a wide variety in rifts when it comes to elite packs. Even looking past general monster density, there are some maps where the ratio of elite packs to normal mobs is close to 1:1 and others where there are no elite mobs at all. I once had a map that was some sort of Cathedral variant completely without elites, but filled with enormous, densely packed crowds of white mobs. It was weird, but it was great fun as my team and I smashed through the horde. More variation of this nature would be very welcome, but for the disappointment we felt after plowing through thousands of enemies only to find almost nothing on the ground. I know the balance is delicate, but it would be nice to get more out of these large-scale battles even when elites are not involved. Perhaps a buff based off the massacre or mighty bonus.

I think there are a few mechanics from other parts of the game that could make rifts much more exciting, for example taking advantage of some of the exciting environments used in boss fights. Think of a rift that takes place only in the Butcher's cage, or on Belial's balcony. Enemies spawn in continually until the boss arrives with the flaming floor keeping players on their toes or an invincible but weaker version of Belial blasting green evil everywhere while the players take on the rift guardian. This sort of "closed box" rift could also benefit from the boss encounter death mechanic, i.e. dead is out unless rezzed. The new resurrection options are nice, but incentives to work as a team and see other players as more than just additional DPS sources are sorely lacking.
I'll start wirh the obvious one that rifts feel most exciting when your cutting your way through mobs and elite packs like the graveyard rift area always seems packed super fun every time I get that area I know !@#$s going to get real. The least engaging mobs are caster types like ghosts that keep running/ flying away or the flying mobs that charge and stun u constantly... I hate super dark black rifts more lighter rifts would be nice and more rift bosses per rift would be good... also T4+ rewards need a major boost....
Remove Speed Pylons and make their movement speed bonus permanent inside rifts. There, no more people falling asleep. Speed Pylons are quite useless in their current state, since they end as soon as you start enjoying the high speed.
Random purple mobs or events would help break up some of the monotony.

Guaranteed legendary from rift boss is too much but guaranteed forbidden soul drop would be a good incentive. Because it means you'd at least get SOMETHING even if no legendaries drop.

Make elites drop bloodshards/have a small chance of dropping a soul/something besides a rare.

Increase drop rates of set items per rift clear (kill rift boss and most of the rift mobs) so that after X number of rifts, we'd at least SEE a non-blackthorn set item.
I have some questions about this if you guys want to talk about it a little more. I've seen some feedback in other threads about Nephalem Rifts making players “sleepy” (or not exciting enough), but I'd like to focus on that topic a bit more with you. Before I do, though, I'd like to point out that there is some feedback about monster density in Rifts that we're definitely aware of. So, density aside, what are some things that would make Rifts more exciting to you?

Please feel free to free-form your answer. If you’re not sure where to begin, though, I’ve provided some questions below.

I want to point out that because they are fully randomized there will be some Rifts that are more exciting than others, but we definitely want them to feel engaging and rewarding. We'd love to hear what you think would improve them in that way.

In regards to sleep > http://longevity.about.com/od/sleephealthandaging/a/melatonin_sleep.htm Rifts is dark, man.

Monster groups: I think I speak for everyone when I say I absolutely hate when I get a level of a rift where either A: All the monsters constantly run away. or B: There's major gaps between packs of monsters(This seems to happen A LOT in Pandemonium fortress levels)

Mechanics: I'd like to see some cursed chests maybe, or how about random key bosses?

Boring: I don't know if I speak for anyone else... but maps like Daulhgur Oasis and Cursed Hold are EXTREMELY boring and monotonous to me... and I get them constantly.
Density... I know you said besides that. But density!

Drops... Going 3 or 4 rifts in T4 without a drop is boring. And then you get the drop and its a crap 2 handed. Some sometime you get the rift with 6 drops. And its awesome. Not that all rifts should have 6 drops. But just make the boss drop a guaranteed Leg (or high chance depending on T level) drop because 99 percent of leg drops are forgotten souls anyways.

Add Purple Mobs that can drop crafting mats.

Cursed Chest and Cursed Shrines. The Cursed Shrines that spawn a act boss are fun.

Does the atmosphere in a Rift influence how exciting or not exciting it feels? If yes, what Rift environments feel exciting to you? And which ones don’t?
I would say its not about the enviroments but mob density or lack of is a major problem. Some enviroments feel to dark.

Do certain monster groups feel more or less engaging?

Mob density, I would say make rainbow land and the mobs more frequent and goblin packs could appear more often. Only seen them once. Also why not add rare spawns from the other modes to have a chance to drop mats or mobs can drop random mats

Are there any mechanics from other parts of the game that you feel would make Rifts feel more exciting? If yes, what are those mechanics?

Some rifts feel like a labyrinth and can slow down the pace of the game. (Some rifts feel like they have some speed boost when filling up the bar. This could be something that can be applied as you fill the bar speed increases.

What's the most noticeable difference between a “boring” Rift and an “exciting” Rift for you?
Density and speed.