Please Blizzard some Troll Control over rift closing?

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 44 Next
04/14/2014 02:45 PMPosted by Duros
Wanting to actually finish clearing the rift in hopes of getting more legendaries to drop, isn't a logical reason? I don't think you understand what logic is.

The game is designed around efficiently farming, so logically the most efficient way of farming is the answer. Killing more mobs in a completed rift is not the most efficient way of farming. Therefore, if your purpose of killing more mobs in a completed rift is for the purpose of finding additional legendaries, then you are in fact choosing the illogical answer.

As long as the reason is to "get more legendaries", then the efficiency of starting a new rift is more logical than continuing to farm a completed rift. The rift guardian will always swing the vote to a new rift.
I can't believe so many people think full clearing rifts is more efficient than just opening a new rift.
04/14/2014 02:54 PMPosted by Deuce
The game is designed around efficiently farming, so logically the most efficient way of farming is the answer. Killing more mobs in a completed rift is not the most efficient way of farming. Therefore, if your purpose of killing more mobs in a completed rift is for the purpose of finding additional legendaries, then you are in fact choosing the illogical answer.

As long as the reason is to "get more legendaries", then the efficiency of starting a new rift is more logical than continuing to farm a completed rift. The rift guardian will always swing the vote to a new rift.

So let me get this straight... Using 5 rift keys per run, to run half of a rift 2 times is more logical than using them to efficiantly run 100% of a rift 2 times, therefore increasing the amount of possible legendaries one can obtain from 5 rift keys? You need to re-evaluate what you think is logical.
04/14/2014 02:58 PMPosted by Arori
I can't believe so many people think full clearing rifts is more efficient than just opening a new rift.

I guess you've never realized that legendaries will continue to drop from mobs even after the guardian is dead. It's called getting the most out of the rift keys that you spend to open these things.
The more monsters/chests/breakables you destroy the more likely you are to get a leg so i see no problem with finishing a rift. Every time i've done a rift we have always cleared to the pylon, we don't search every nook and cranny for monsters, but generally just speed through blowing up anything that gets caught in our path.

Not everyone is interested in shards per hr and using the excuse that you get higher exp an hr leaving after the rift guardian is dead is stupid. You will not hit P800 its not going to happen Blizz would have released a new expansion and implemented P3.0 long before you even come close to it.
04/14/2014 02:59 PMPosted by Duros
So let me get this straight... Using 5 rift keys per run, to run half of a rift 2 times is more logical than using them to efficiantly run 100% of a rift 2 times, therefore increasing the amount of possible legendaries one can obtain from 5 rift keys? You need to re-evaluate what you think is logical.

Ok, except the important factor is not the amount of legendaries you get per rift key but the amount of legendaries you get based on the time invested. This is about the 3rd or 4th time this has been said in this thread.

The other flaw in your logic is that the alternative to killing mobs in a rift is to not be able to get legendaries anywhere else.

I posted this before but even in the worst case scenario, you are comparing the additional drop rate in the rift versus the addition chance at drops you get from doing bounties and getting caches.
I'd say just let the experience be an automatic reward for killing the rift guardian, rather than for closing the rift. That way the people that want to do another rift, can get their XP and leave the group, while the rest of us can stay and get the most out of our rift keys. Problem solved.

You aren't even comparing the same thing, are you serious?

With your scenario, what you are saying is you get more legendaries from killing 1000 mobs than someone does from killing 10. That's not a comparison, at all.

You have 2 hours to farm Rifts. You can spend all 2 hours in 1 rift, kill 1 guardian, and get ~50 shards for kadala, so say 2 amulets. Or, you can chain run rifts, where you have the exact same chance of finding a legendary, only you get 12 guardians, 600 shards, meaning 30 amulets from Kadala.

You will kill the exact same number of mobs, so the chance of getting a legendary off a drop is the exact same. The only difference is that in the new rift, you have a higher chance to get a legendary due to Kadala drops and guardian caches, along with bonus xp.

I do not understand why this is so bloody hard to understand.
I wouldn't do rifts in random public games. Try making some friends.
I could understand your !@#$% fit if rift keys were hard to get but you can get 6 keys in ~10 minutes. If you don't want people to close your rifts play with friends or join a clan and play with them. It isn't really that hard.
guess you've never realized that legendaries will continue to drop from mobs even after the guardian is dead. It's called getting the most out of the rift keys that you spend to open these things.

No, its called getting the least from the time you spend clearing these things.
04/14/2014 03:04 PMPosted by Deuce
Ok, except the important factor is not the amount of legendaries you get per rift key but the amount of legendaries you get based on the time invested. This is about the 3rd or 4th time this has been said in this thread.

The other flaw in your logic is that the alternative to killing mobs in a rift is to not be able to get legendaries anywhere else.

lol. wow... more time in one rift equals more legendaries per rift keys. The drop rate will be the same in a new rift or the old one, so it's more efficient to fully farm each one. There have been many times I have gotten more legendaries after killing the guardian than I have prior to killing him. I got 4 legendaries in a run last night because I chose to stay and finish it. Then I got a couple more in the next full run.

And rifts have a higher drop rate for legendaries. Hence why it's best to farm the whole thing. If you don't want to; Then drop group and join another fresh run. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer when one person wants to close it.
This is why I play solo. Well, this and the fact that I pretty much hate the human race. -_-

If fragments were hard to get, you might have something of an argument, but they aren't.

04/14/2014 02:46 PMPosted by Duros
04/14/2014 02:42 PMPosted by Orrion
Nobody argues that you don't or can't get legendary items after the guardian is dead.

What is being argued is that you can do that in a new rift, and you get the guardian again, which means more blood shards and (usually) a soul (and yes, souls are still useful).

Fragments are easy to get. Seriously easy.

Legendaries don't just drop off the rift guardian. They drop from chests and mobs as well. Many of us want to farm the whole thing, rather than waste shards on only farming half of a rift just to kill a guardian. It's about making the most of what we are spending to open the thing.

There have been many times that I've had more legendaries drop when I continue farming the same rift after the guardian is already dead.

Again, fragments are easy to amass.

Yes, more legendary items can drop from rifts after the guardian is dead. The same legendary items can drop from a new rift.
Read the first page

Read the last page

...for the life of me, I cannot figure out why this is even a debate.

If all that is in question is lost rift keys...um, just get more? I probably have 300 and I can't count how many times I've opened a rift, went afk, and got booted without even killing the guard. I've logged 1600 bounties and havent even done a bounty in a week and a half, lol.

If there is some kind of philosophy or whatever coming into play - um, just don't open rifts in public games. Don't really think Blizz needs to create an entire mechanic that will likely be incredibly annoying to 90% of the population simply to cater to 10% of people who don't quite know what they're talking about.
If you want to play inefficiently, don't pub? This thread is ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the rift system as it is.
04/14/2014 02:45 PMPosted by Duros
04/14/2014 06:33 AMPosted by shipit
Just close the damn rift after the guardian dies.

THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON TO KEEP IT OPEN !!

Wanting to actually finish clearing the rift in hopes of getting more legendaries to drop, isn't a logical reason? I don't think you understand what logic is.

No...it's not logical. At all.
Why kill mobs just hoping for loot when you can kill mobs hoping for loot that go towards another rift guardian.
OP, run it solo?
Just wanted to jump in say thanks for this discussion! I've already passed it along to our devs.

I've got a few follow-up questions, though. If you'll humor me. :)

Question #1: After killing a Rift Boss, do you prefer:
  • Clearing the Rift in its entirety before collecting your rewards?

- OR-
  • Collecting your rewards immediately, closing the Rift before clearing?

Question #2: In your opinion, what do you feel would be a happy medium between the two different playstyles (clearing Rifts vs. not clearing Rifts)?

Question #3: Why does having a Rift closed in a group before you have a chance to clear it (if you prefer that option) bother you or frustrate you? From a personal perspective, how does it negatively affect your gameplay? (Or does it even affect you?)

Thanks!
I literally have run rifts non stop for ages now and still have something like 150 keys....keys are not hard to get at all. If you're complaining about people shutting your rifts then perhaps you should not join a public game where they are free to do so. Why must people be so moronic? WAHH BLIZZ THEY SHUT MY RIFT DOWN THAT I SPENT A PRECIOUS 5 KEYS ON :((((