Finally got Odyn son and TF, what now?

Barbarian
Got Ring of royal grandeur, 2 piece of immortal king, Odyn Son and thunderfury (look at my profile) and I'm wondering how I should build myself. I was thinking about massive dps and thunder elemental oriented build.

Suggestion?
bump
bump
You currently have roughly 40% fire? If you're looking for "massive dps" you might want to just keep going fire.

Lightning is still good at T1-4, esp. speed clearing rifts, but it doesn't scale as well as fire does which means the damage isn't great at t5 and 6.
Unless you want to auto attack every mob lit barbs are underwhelming. I have almost 1mil paper dps and 4 slots of +lit damage but cant farm T3 any faster than T2. Only way lit barbs do much dps is by using frenzy/smite with shart. I use this but only sparingly vs rift bosses and the occasional single elite. People actually make builds around this skill as their main DPS. I could never have the patience to do that.
Actually I farm T3 quite easilly with "roughly" 40% fire.

I'm hesitating to switch to lighning but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.
Lightning barb here, still looking for that elusive SoH/TF, already have an Odyn. I am also using a 3-piece IK (that additional Fury regen and Life/Fury is great!). I suggest this build, though:

Head - Andy's w/ Lightning
Amulet - Haunt of Vaxo w/ Lightning (the special affix works great with Lightning stuns)
Ring - Lightning SoJ / Royal Ring

The actual armor pieces depends on what kind of build you want or what is available to you. My ideal setup would be:

IK Chest and Pants
Thundergod Belt
Set shoulders and bracers (forgot the name, starts with an Au and has elite % 3-piece set bonus)
Trifecta Gloves
Boots w/ MS and +Hota

You can have a look at my profile to see how I've compromised while I still lack these pieces, so far been working pretty well. I agree though, if you want a pure damage output build, then go Fire. I am also starting to build a fire gear setup but still lack major pieces to make it truly viable and deal more damage than my Lightning.

A quick tip for Lightning, try using Weapon Throw - Mighty Throw. This is actually the only rune so far that allows Lightning to do more damage than Fire for one of our skills. Weapon Throw has a really good proc coefficient as well (For your OS/TF).
Well now you farm T1-T3 so you can be pigeon'd into the two builds everyone has to use to farm T56 fast and effiiciently.

SoH only redeeming feature now is that it's crazy with frenzy for single target dmg. I prefer TF+SoH for when I have to switch to single target nuke.
Out of curiosity Ellydol, what torment you're farming solo?

EDIT : I've also already done a few your suggestion, you should look at my profile before you post :P
I made my own build for Lightening barb an hour or so ago (was fire). Gear was a bit better for lightening. I do so much better, and love it.
04/21/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Elok
Out of curiosity Ellydol, what torment you're farming solo?

EDIT : I've also already done a few your suggestion, you should look at my profile before you post :P

Ooops, my mistake. I'm posting from mobile so I can't hover over your gear.

I'm doing T1s only for speed and quantity mostly. Pretty comfortable up until T3, but the clearing speed is severely noticed and reduced. Personally, until I find a more compelling reason to play higher torments solo, I am mostly building to improve my T1 clears.

T3/T4 I usually do with a few friends, where my build doesn't usually change anyway.
On a first glace I wonder why you are stacking resist all so much? I'm confused, I thought resist all stacking went out of favour when loot 2.0 hit. Conventional wisdom seems that strength stacking would be better with the new gems giving much larger values and as it helps as both a damage multiplier and as a defensive modifier with +armor effect. I doubt you need 8 million toughness for torment 1 solo runs seeing as how 6 million seems to work fine in torment 4 from my own experience.

Also noticed your lacking crit hit chance on the amulet (possible +10% there) and crit hit damage on gloves and both rings (possible +150% there). Might help your clear times more than you expect with the barb balance point being purportedly around the 40% chance and 400% crit damage mark.

Nice thunderfury though and love your +Gold Find amount :)
SoH and Barb don't know what to do with each other now, and Lightning is totally ruined.
WW hits for crap, and Frenzy does so much dmg /procs so much, it makes doing Hota thunderstrike pointless.

This is just stupid. Now I have to farm for fire items ( lol liek that's possible in a 100% random game full of 99.9999% salvage fodder).
Got OS+TF, some lightning gear and IK4. Thunderstrike plus perma-CoA seems to work pretty well.

Only +fire gear I've seen other than bracers was a poorly rolled Sankis, so just rolling with the drops for now.
Well. I..Put my SoH and Tfury to use.
Apparently it's not news to anyone and I got trolled by !@#$%^ know it alls in Barb chat for offering this info, but Frenzy as you may know procs both of them very easy. Which leads to the frustration of wtf is the point of a spender....
Well, don't use one :P
My current build is OFF THE WALL good. Like..better than a fire build good.
I regen 16k life per second 16000 armor, 700-900ish resist all, 11000 life on hit and sheet dps is at 1.2 mil.
You need to use Warcry: Invigorate, and get more life regen anywhere else you can. This with life on hit and IAS keeps you up instead of life on fury spent.

This build won't work so hot with a normal, non-proc weapon. IE: Won't work at all. But it sure answers the question what does a lightning barb with SoH and Tfury do now post nerf.

To tell you the truth it's better, and funner than WW.
I really like my lightning build. Still trying to pick up tips when I can though. :)
lightning ww feels weak in T3 imo with 90% lightning damage. Recommend you go fire.
04/22/2014 02:04 AMPosted by DamageInc
Apparently it's not news to anyone and I got trolled by !@#$%^ know it alls in Barb chat for offering this info, but Frenzy as you may know procs both of them very easy. Which leads to the frustration of wtf is the point of a spender....
I regen 16k life per second 16000 armor, 700-900ish resist all, 11000 life on hit and sheet dps is at 1.2 mil.
You need to use Warcry: Invigorate, and get more life regen anywhere else you can. This with life on hit and IAS keeps you up instead of life on fury spent.

This build won't work so hot with a normal, non-proc weapon. IE: Won't work at all. But it sure answers the question what does a lightning barb with SoH and Tfury do now post nerf.

Only problem of T-strike is fury generation, once you solve this more or less, Tstrike is better in a lot of situations. But it sucks when you're out of fury. Single target is weaker than Frenzy, and you can still use proc weapons with T-strike and the proc coefficient on HOTA is 66%, slightly less than Frenzy and it hits multiple targets, you see what I'm getting at here? I did Frenzy build for a while and it was better but after getting my gear/skills setup with more fury generation, Tstrike is better now. I think Frenzy is really good for low tiers where stuff gets one shot, but once you get a bit higher and you can't one shot trash every swing and procs won't one shot trash, you need something like HOTA which can still one shot trash with AE damage overlapping. One HOTA can do a lot more than the yellow number you see, because of AE damage. It also procs on each target hit.

Even tho my HOTA is like 10-11 million, I often one-shot 20-30 million+ trash creatures.
04/22/2014 10:36 AMPosted by soci
04/22/2014 02:04 AMPosted by DamageInc

Only problem of T-strike is fury generation, once you solve this more or less, Tstrike is better in a lot of situations. But it sucks when you're out of fury. Single target is weaker than Frenzy, and you can still use proc weapons with T-strike and the proc coefficient on HOTA is 66%, slightly less than Frenzy and it hits multiple targets, you see what I'm getting at here? I did Frenzy build for a while and it was better but after getting my gear/skills setup with more fury generation, Tstrike is better now. I think Frenzy is really good for low tiers where stuff gets one shot, but once you get a bit higher and you can't one shot trash every swing and procs won't one shot trash, you need something like HOTA which can still one shot trash with AE damage overlapping. One HOTA can do a lot more than the yellow number you see, because of AE damage. It also procs on each target hit.

Even tho my HOTA is like 10-11 million, I often one-shot 20-30 million+ trash creatures.

So after looking at these Frenzy builds, with my gear I was thinking of trying it. What Torment level should I be able to clear with this build? I can easily clear T3 right now with my HOTA build but I am often fill my rage globe with frenzy to empty it with 4 HOTAs.

Soci, could you link the Frenzy build you were using? Does is take a IK set bonus to keep from running out of fury?
@OP, I used to run a lightning build wth Tfury/Odyns but until I got the 4piece IK set bonus, I was finding myself fury starved alot of the time. If you can stack even 40% lightnings damage with those two weapons, T1-T2 should go pretty quick. In terms of gear upgrades, bracers are the easiest to craft up to 20% lightning on with aughilds or reaper's fear. Also you an gamble with Kadala for a Tgods belt which will bump your elemental damage significantly. Next I'd say go for an Andy's helm with lightning damage which will boost you to ~80% damage. Unfortunately, if you want to farm higher than T3, I've found that going fire is more efficient than lightning, especially since our COTA fury generator in T4 + seem to actually die