How much toughness is enough for T1-T3

Demon Hunter
I'm still in the process of gearing my DH and i was wondering how much toughness is enough for torment 1 to 3 for me to start thinking about stacking more damage.

I ran out of material while crafting some set items but so far im around 8-9m toughness with diamonds gems instead of emeralds (dps is irrelevant atm because i have a weak weapon)

Or is there an amount of stat i should aim for? (400k hp? 1000 all res? 6k armor?)
I survive t1 & t2 solo no problem with my build. I think since applying a lot more crit chance and crit damage, my toughness has been lowered quite a bit. It's a balancing act but my resists are all between 800-1000, i think. about 344k hp.

I dont have any trouble playing t3 or t4 with groups either.
Most DHs seem to settle around 350k HP. Resists are preference, if you have an immunity neck or two you might be able to get away with less. I'm running T2 comfortably around 700. Might bump it up a bit more for the jump to T3 though.
04/15/2014 06:05 AMPosted by CptnMayo

Most people who claim how well they do on high torments always forget to add this disclaimer where you have a monk / barb / wizard tanking for you.

Glad you did. That puts you some levels above others making the same claim.
t1 2m tough (350k life), 600k dps

t2 4m tough (350k life), 800k+ dps

t3 60%+ dr from armour, 500+ all res, 350k+ life 1m+ dps

t4 70%+ dr, 800+ all res, 350k++ life 1.5m+ dps

*imho*

dps can be a combo of profile + ele - check your score on diabloprogress.com if you're unsure.
@CptnMayo: I cant see your diablo profile

Thanks for the answers so far, i didn't know the toughness milestones were so low for DHs. I might have to reconsider some of my choices. I am mostly playing with my monk and anything lower than 6m toughness feels like suicide.
For what it's worth, my resists are over 1100 and I have 20% total damage reduction against elites. In groups, I can do up to T3 with no deaths. Alone, T2 is no problem, T3 a little less so.

But look at my skills, I don't vault, flip, or whatever, mostly stand in piles of ooze and fight. If I had skill, I'm guessing I could T4.

Edit - Ok... what's that about? In game on T1 my resists show over 1000, but I just looked at my profile and it's half that? What's going on?
04/15/2014 06:19 AMPosted by Wilson
04/15/2014 06:05 AMPosted by CptnMayo

Most people who claim how well they do on high torments always forget to add this disclaimer where you have a monk / barb / wizard tanking for you.

Glad you did. That puts you some levels above others making the same claim.

In my opinion, its not worth doing anything higher than T2 without a group to tank for you.

Trying to solo T3 is a pain with the DH. Im constantly kiting and waiting for cooldowns/resources. It gets a bit exhausting.

Grouping with a monk or wizard to CC the mobs is sooo much better.
04/15/2014 11:18 AMPosted by Rimripper
For what it's worth, my resists are over 1100 and I have 20% total damage reduction against elites. In groups, I can do up to T3 with no deaths. Alone, T2 is no problem, T3 a little less so.

But look at my skills, I don't vault, flip, or whatever, mostly stand in piles of ooze and fight. If I had skill, I'm guessing I could T4.

Edit - Ok... what's that about? In game on T1 my resists show over 1000, but I just looked at my profile and it's half that? What's going on?

Perfectionist is a lot of it.

I'll try to figure out where the rest of it is coming different from.

Side note:

I DESPISE when people say they "Farm" something when, in reality, they're just doing group stuff. It's always easier to do group stuff.
My build may not fire quite as many CA's as a fire build, but the lightning rune of CA stuns like crazy which improves survivability a lot. Being mobile also makes a huge difference but requires more work. I can run T2 with 2.5M toughness and almost never die. I think I'd want 3M+ for T3.
i found that another way to mitigate the need for high toughness is increasing mobility via tactical advantage passive and using danetta's revenge (stun vault rune) as the off hand weapon.
another one of these threads? Playing the game in order to test things out is hard.
Not even playing hc where dying matters.
Stack as much damage as you can while staying alive. That's the general philosophy. On SC, you don't worry about toughness first. Especially as a DH. stack max damage, avoid taking damage. profit.
There isn't any right answer because the majority of a dh's survivability can come from the player's twitch reflexes. I lost about 600k toughness swapping from my last helm to pride's fall, but I didn't die a single time in t3 last night thanks to being able to use smokescreen liberally whereas before I'd have the occasional death.
I do T2, solo and group play, with 2 mil toughness. It's getting too comfortable, though, I'm going to bump it up to T3 soon.

P.S. I use perfectionist as a defensive passive.
As a reference, my male DH is setup for stationary tanking, and I'm able to stand in a lot of bad stuff all the way to T3.

I tried to go heavy on All Res with him, versus stacking life. In game, he is running around 1000 to 1200 resistance per element.

This pairs very well with the ring and boots I'm running (Rogar's Huge Stone and Boots of Disregard). Fully buffed, I see green life numbers as high as 23k per tick.
I'd say 3-4m is enough, as long as you can run out of Thunderstorms and Frozen globes without dying you should be in good shape.
I play a HC DH and currently handle T2 easily solo. Buffed, I have 1000ish resists, 7500 armor and 400k health. I'd probably run T3-4 if I wasn't playing HC.
04/15/2014 11:26 AMPosted by Enigmahz
Trying to solo T3 is a pain with the DH. Im constantly kiting and waiting for cooldowns/resources. It gets a bit exhausting.

Not really =). Depends on gear as usual. My opinion is 3 -> 4 is the great leap, but then again, someone else will say 4 -> 5, 5 -> 6.
I was wondering what magical touch I was missing once I got some very solid items, (bracers, rings, amulet, some set items), when I finally started putting Emeralds into my weapons. Jumped to 600k immediately. Then I started investing heavily into CA and fire%. I jumped to T2 in a day. I thought T3 would feel like a natural bump from here but it wasn't, lightning damage is insane and an elite pack will cover your screen in acid in 10 seconds, smokescreen with healing vapors is a necessity at this point.
04/15/2014 11:18 AMPosted by Rimripper

I DESPISE when people say they "Farm" something when, in reality, they're just doing group stuff. It's always easier to do group stuff.

"Despise" seems a pretty strong reaction for using the word differently from how you use it. I have no particular interest in grading myself according to how efficiently I play solo when I rarely play solo.

When I say I "farm" something in D3, I'm not trying to epeen about how easy some content is, I'm describing doing something repeatedly and mostly mindlessly. Like if I said I were farming herbs in WoW or something, the implication wouldn't be that I'm a badass for being able to fly from dot to dot on the map while watching TV, it would be that I'm doing something repetitive for the next few hours. It's the same with rifts in D3 right now, if you are farming them, most people are referring to doing them at whatever difficulty level makes them easy enough to do without having to think too much about it.

It's not the same usage as saying "I have T6 on farm and am getting bored of the game" - for that usage clarifying that you're doing it group/solo/soft-core/hardcore etc would be relevant.