Lore Questions

General Discussion
Alright, so I just started Act V on my Crusader. And I have a couple lore questions just to be sure I'm getting things right, as I adore the world of Sanctuary. So here is my understanding of the events, and please feel free to correct me, as I want to be right.

Before the events of Diablo 3, the Worldstone was destroyed. After this happened, Malthael fled the High Heavens, leaving the place of Wisdom vacant. Tyrael was able to take up this position at the end of Diablo 3 because Justice had been served and that seat was no longer needed. In the events of Reaper, Malthael is destroying human kind. He became obsessed with humanity, and with his following of devoted angels, has begun a campaign against them. He is doing this because humanity was created due to the bond between an angel and demon, who's offspring started humanity. Malthael sees only the demon side of humanity, as he observed various wars and genocides over the years of his own exile from the High Heavens.

Here's where I get confused. I thought that Nephalem were the offspring of angel and demon. There were a special subset of people who were few and far between. I'm still confused how any could even be alive and how your character is one without knowing. My questions are basically how did humanity begin, what exactly is a nephalem and how are you one, or is all of humanity now technically nephalem due to years and generations of breeding. I just get a little caught up on the details.
Bump!! I'd really love to know
Nephalem are indeed the offspring of angel and demon, the first of which were spawned by the angel Inarius and the demoness Lilith. As the nephalem grew in power, Inarius and Lilith came into conflict about what the future of these children might be, and Lilith slaughtered Inarius' followers to prevent the potential eradication of her children. For her deeds, she was banished back to the Burning Hells.

After these events, Inarius retuned the Worldstone, the ancient artifact responsible for the creation of Sanctuary (and indirectly, the creation of mankind), causing it to fade the power of the nephalem. Over time, this resulted in the nephalem "evolving" into the humans we see in Sanctuary in present time.

After the events of Diablo II, the Worldstone was destroyed. As the Worldstone was responsible for holding back the power of the nephalem, we have begun to see these powers awaken once more, revealing modern day nephalem (including the heroes of Diablo III).

More information on these events can be found in many of our lore books in-game (especially in Pandemonium Fortress in Act V), as well as in the Book of Tyrael and Book of Cain.
So is/was Leah a Nephalem? Adria is clearly a human, who had a child with a possessed human, but in the end all humans are part demon anyway.

Also are all "humans" born after the destruction of the World Stone Nephalem? I'm not talking about the Heroes of D3, who are obviously powerful warriors that have harnessed their abilities through extensive training, but does everyone born in the last 20 or so years have the potential to now be an extremely powerful warrior like the main caste of D3?
This actually makes more sense. Thanks Neval!

04/16/2014 07:18 PMPosted by Newbert
So is/was Leah a Nephalem? Adria is clearly a human, who had a child with a possessed human, but in the end all humans are part demon anyway.

Also are all "humans" born after the destruction of the World Stone Nephalem? I'm not talking about the Heroes of D3, who are obviously powerful warriors that have harnessed their abilities through extensive training, but does everyone born in the last 20 or so years have the potential to now be an extremely powerful warrior like the main caste of D3?

Good question. I can only guess that not every single person in the entire sanctuary was affected by the destruction of the World Stone - just a handful. And we are playing as them. I'd also guess that more and more powerful "nephalems" would continue to be born onto the world as time passes...
Great story, never did get the whole jest of this till now. I hope in the future maybe we can choose to fight on the angels side or join the demons in their destruction. Be a great PvP setup. As more nephalems are born and become more powerful there will have to be some that decide to follow the demons path I'd imagine.
Myriam the Mystic also makes an interesting point during one of the conversations when asked how she knows the nephalem's fate, when even the angel of fate himself doesn't know. "Perhaps I have nephalem powers of my own!"

This would imply all nephalems aren't created equal, and that various unique qualities can manifest.
Lilith was said to be banished to "the Abyss" which is supposed to be wholly different from the Burning Hells.
All humans are Nephalem, or at least decendants of the original offspring of Lilith and Inarius.

What the game doesn't explain is why some people are more Nephalem then others. Like how your character is stronger then most demons and angels, basically a superhero, and there are still some common people like the vendor in town.
Wow, that's really, really awesome. Thanks for the info!! Answered so much
I suspect that all humans have the ability to use the power of the nephalem, however, since most humans just go about their daily lives it never manifests in them or affects them in any way.

It has, however, manifested in our heroes as they are all pushing the limits of physical and mental capability and by doing so they have been able to tap into the power of the nephalem.
Nephalem is a matter of strength really, all humans are "nephalems".

Dunno if its been changed but I recall reading originally after Inarius realizes the power of the offspring he wants to kill them off, but lilith instead kills all the original angels and demons and inarius being bound to the worldstone decides to adjust the worldstone to attune down the power of the nephalem instead of being left alone for all eternity. Angels come down, inarius ends up being tortured for all eternity and lilith banished to somewhere not specified but not able to come back.

After worldstone breaks the attunement that weakens the nephalem is wearing off, and 20 years down the line the nephalem that is the main char ni d3 comes along. Id imagine as time goes more and more powerful humans will be born.

Edit: I have no idea why the angels didnt exterminate all humans the second the worldstone broke. They knew that was the lock on the nephalem powers. And risking the eternal war on letting humans run loose seems silly.
Lores are the most amazing thing in Diablo series. It is unfortunate that in D3, lores are given less love than itemization. Tge dialogues/storytelling in-game are being cut/interrupted prematurely by for example, companions being bored because you are lactually listening to the lore.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nephalem

Father - Inarius (angel)
Mother - Lilith (demon)

Worldstone - used to create the sanctuary. It is also used to suppress the powers of the nephalems, new creatures born from the union of angels and demons. Nephalems' power diminishes each generation, thus what to be now known as humanity. Even though the worldstone tries to suppress humanities' latent powers, it cannot hold back some people from claiming what is rightfully theirs. When Tyrael destroyed the worldstone, it is like unlocking humans potential.

Human - mortals, powerless, oblivious of their heritage
Nephalem - human able to harness/use powers/magics

In act 3 is when Zoltun Kulle will give new nephalems (us) a crash course on lores.

Leah is special because Diablo's blood runs through her veins - a sacrifice for Diablo. (Killing Adria in Act 5 is so worth it.)
04/16/2014 09:14 PMPosted by Scrangos

Edit: I have no idea why the angels didnt exterminate all humans the second the worldstone broke. They knew that was the lock on the nephalem powers. And risking the eternal war on letting humans run loose seems silly.

How about what Zoltun Kulle said? Act 3. Angiris Council tried to eliminate all humans, but Tyrael voted against it.
04/16/2014 07:39 PMPosted by Panadyne
Myriam the Mystic also makes an interesting point during one of the conversations when asked how she knows the nephalem's fate, when even the angel of fate himself doesn't know. "Perhaps I have nephalem powers of my own!"

This would imply all nephalems aren't created equal, and that various unique qualities can manifest.

As far as i know it is never been stated what the powers of the nephalem are. I wonder if it is the their ability to master many different skills and magic that neither angels nor demons seem to use(such as arcane). Or maybe it is that the nephelam can grow in strength as they train and gain experience(lore for leveling up). Can angels get any stronger than when they are 1st created?

Also what does anyone think of Captain Haile having nephelam power? He shows up several times in the story and seems pretty much unkillable.
If this is all true, then how do the heroes from the previous titles... Well, do what they do?

If all the Nephalem power is locked up inside the World Stone, and it takes a Nephalem to conquer evil as powerful as the Prime Evils, then how did our D1 and D2 characters ever stand a chance? (Plot hole!)
Read "Diablo: The Sin War" series. Most of the answers to the questions here are there. :)
does the book explain why all the power is kept on the gear and does it explain why your made of a paper napkin when you dont wear any?
You learn this by simply watching the cut scenes and listening to the exclamation points....