Exploding Palm Exposion Affected by %Elite?

Monk
Quick question, I know %Physical skill only affects the damage of the EP dot, but does %Damage to elites affect the explosion?

</flex> check out dat fist of az on the profile. Wondering if I should make an aughilds and use my SoJ... gear build is a bit of a mish mash from my aborted lightning spec.
no it does not.
The only thing that does increase the explosion damage is Mantra of Conviction. This makes MoC-Overawe still the best endgame mantra imo.
It doesnt. its because explosion dmg is hp based, not weapon/skill based. Jelly of that fist, been looking for that combo fore a while. Would totally lose some fire dmg for it.
Thanks guys. Yeah I was going kinda full pull tank last night, thinking of trying a hybrid tonight. Drop Inner Sanc for LTK, maybe put on my lightning ammy, and switch out leorics for gyana or an eye of the storm.

Full lightning DPS was rather underwhelming, got up to about 950k dps, 122% lighting with 26% to elites... and still did junk damage vs barb/wiz.
04/15/2014 01:21 PMPosted by punisher
Full lightning DPS was rather underwhelming, got up to about 950k dps, 122% lighting with 26% to elites... and still did junk damage vs barb/wiz.

Have you fooled around with fire and/or Area Damage?
@OrbitalE - No, I haven't found the gear required for a firebuild yet, haven't seen a single magefist/cindercoat yet, and everything else I've gotten has been lightning. I would like fire to be my end game (thinking some sort of Epiphany Inner Fire/CDR/LTK build),

I like the idea of area damage, but in my mind it's only useful for white mobs. I'd rather something that helps me destroy elites faster. I could be wrong of course I just haven't seen too many people running AD builds.
The reason I ask is because I find fire Monks to be very strong AoE - something that the Wizard class excels at doing IMO. I used to main a Wizard and the damage output was *smaller* than my lightning Monk at the time, but I was doing it to huge groups of mobs. With the release of RoS I went to playing the Monk as a main and fire gear happened to drop. The AoE-ish aspect of fire (mainly from GNK fireball and grouped mobs with LTK) has been immensely satisfying.

Initially, I was pissed my Burning Axe didn't roll with a main stat - however, that ~20% AD is pretty fun AoE! I find AD useful for everything outside of single target. Want to proc AD more against an elite group? Grab up some white mobs and watch proc after proc: you are doing damage to multiple enemies and each of those damaging blows to a singular enemy can proc AD, including doing damage to a white mob that will proc AD to damage the elite. Poor explanation, but we have a thorough explanation thread somewhere around here...
I got a similar but different question...Does +Fire effect the dot of essence burn rune and the explosion from it?
@Moe; It probably does. But what I noticed when I tested it was that when you have the fire rune on, it doesn't actually explode the mob for 50% of its HP (if you read the skill after setting the rune it becomes obvious actually). The explosion effect is different. I was going to build a fire set too -_-.

Anyway, copy'pastaing something I posted in a diff thread,

I got sick of conflicting evidence and anecdotes in every thread and while his screenshots looked convincing there was too much to the contrary.

Tested and recorded the following, confirming that they all, as of this patch, increase the explosion damage of Exploding Palm:
  • Area Damage
  • Elite Damage+
  • Physical Skill Damage+

The following damage bonuses also increased the explosion damage:
  • Mythic Rhythm
  • The Flesh is Weak (doesn't effect the mob you palm; only guys around him)
  • Conviction

And because of this, I would be led to believe that most other damage modifiers in the game also increase exploding palm explosion damage.

The following did not increase Exploding Palm explosion damage:
  • "Increases Exploding Palm Damage by x%"

I also was interested in the fact that Epiphany has different elements for each rune. I wondered why, as some of the runes don't hint at epiphany doing any damage. I was wondering if epiphany might change the element of your other skills when it is active. So I tested that, and it did not change the element of my exploding palm (at least not the explosion; that's all I looked at).

Hope this clears some things up. I can post the videos on youtube if people want. Or you can message me on NA, Shamaya#1780.
^^ this guy is correct. I find it hard to believe that the first responder w/ 400 P lvls didn't know the answer as well... this has been known in the monk forums for practically forever and actually lead to many monks stacking just %elite damage in order to boost their group usefulness.

%elite damage DOES affect the explosion
%physical damage DOES affect the explosion

Area Damage will proc off the explosion

for MR, I need more testing. I can confirm that it affects the dot, but the explosion I am not 100% sure on. I need to change my setup for that. My usual setup of 60% elite and 60% physical already 1 shots elites with 100% hp from a high HP white mob, so I may need to equip some blue gear and do the testing on normal.
To have the active bonus from Mantra of Conviction affect to explosion, would you want to use MoC right before the target dies or would you want to use MoC before using Exploding Palm?
Well I have 450 paragon levels and I didn't know the answer either lol. I'm not a monk main though. I just got tired of googling this and seeing different threads with people seeming so confident that the answer was one way or another. Like the comment about EP in this thread (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11986398637) was completely incorrect, and otherwise it was a really good thread that I would normally have confidence in.

As for conviction, it just seems intuitive to me that you would pop the active right before they explode. But I didn't test the active.
Actually, according to Druin's guide on the matter and contrary to early responses in this thread, the answer is yes: EP explosion is affected by Elite Damage bonus. In fact he gives a full list of the things that affects it:

1) X% bonus to Elite Damage
2) X% bonus to Physical Skills
3) Monsters take X% additional damage
4) Mythic Rhythm

Druin's super-cool thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12506331470

04/17/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Druin
Total % of monster HP = 0.5 (modify to FoA % if applicable) * [1+ A (%Phys)] * [1+ B (%Elite if applicable)] * [1+ C (Monsters take)] * [1.4 (Mythic)]
04/22/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Shamaya
@Moe; It probably does. But what I noticed when I tested it was that when you have the fire rune on, it doesn't actually explode the mob for 50% of its HP (if you read the skill after setting the rune it becomes obvious actually). The explosion effect is different. I was going to build a fire set too -_-.

Anyway, copy'pastaing something I posted in a diff thread,

I got sick of conflicting evidence and anecdotes in every thread and while his screenshots looked convincing there was too much to the contrary.

Tested and recorded the following, confirming that they all, as of this patch, increase the explosion damage of Exploding Palm:
  • Area Damage
  • Elite Damage+
  • Physical Skill Damage+

The following damage bonuses also increased the explosion damage:
  • Mythic Rhythm
  • The Flesh is Weak (doesn't effect the mob you palm; only guys around him)
  • Conviction

And because of this, I would be led to believe that most other damage modifiers in the game also increase exploding palm explosion damage.

The following did not increase Exploding Palm explosion damage:
  • "Increases Exploding Palm Damage by x%"

I also was interested in the fact that Epiphany has different elements for each rune. I wondered why, as some of the runes don't hint at epiphany doing any damage. I was wondering if epiphany might change the element of your other skills when it is active. So I tested that, and it did not change the element of my exploding palm (at least not the explosion; that's all I looked at).

Hope this clears some things up. I can post the videos on youtube if people want. Or you can message me on NA, Shamaya#1780.

What about IS: Forbidden palace? does it increase EP exploding damage?
04/24/2014 11:49 AMPosted by Rks
What about IS: Forbidden palace? does it increase EP exploding damage?

Yes, it does.

http://i.imgur.com/S1fuADF.jpg

I was only getting 300+ Billion damage EP crits. After I tested it with IS:FP I started to break 400 billion.

edit: 554 billion. Big numbers are fun, even if they are not practical.

http://imgur.com/NO743e1
hey, this threads been very helpfull so far
i guess all information is still accurate?

ive got a couple of questions:
would 30% elite, 20% physical from a SoJ really mean you'd deal 50% more DMG with your explosion on elites?

and does it work on minions from yellow+minions packs as well?

and especially if you have a Fist of AzTurassq there should be a point where stacking +physical and +elite isnt really worth it anymore because 1 explosion will kill everything in range anyways, right?
05/06/2014 02:17 PMPosted by sculti
and especially if you have a Fist of AzTurassq there should be a point where stacking +physical and +elite isnt really worth it anymore because 1 explosion will kill everything in range anyways, right?

It could be less effective for solo play, but u sill can use white mobs to explode elite, but for 4 man group u should never stop, because explosion count only base (not increased by party members) hp.