Easy fix to all Mac problems

Mac Technical Support
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

This fixed all my problems. My fps went from 5 to 60 after i did this.
but does it fix the freezing when loading rifts?
No, that only fixes performance issues caused by wake from sleep bugs and other related mac SMC bugs.

Freezing with rifts needs more memory, and playing at a lower resolution generally (I've yet to freeze from a rift, playing at 1680 x 1050). Most native resolutions are higher than this, especially people playing on retina macbook pros. This drastically increases memory usage of app furthering likelyhood of crashing from 32 bit memory size limit.
I definitely appreciate the OP's conscious effort to help others but the title for this post is misleading and likely not a solution to problems others have reported. My main reason for even bringing this up is that it might lead others to believe that this is indeed a solution to the crashing and freezing, which it most certainly is not.
04/25/2014 06:29 PMPosted by Hyperion
I definitely appreciate the OP's conscious effort to help others but the title for this post is misleading and likely not a solution to problems others have reported. My main reason for even bringing this up is that it might lead others to believe that this is indeed a solution to the crashing and freezing, which it most certainly is not.

Well it fixed my low performance and crashing.
I'm rather unhappy to report that it did not fix the freezing/crashing problem for me :( I reset the PMU when I had to reformat my drive after the third nasty D3 crash rendered my directory structure unreadable. After reloading the OS and D3, the crashing and freezing resumed. I'm not picking on your solution, simply stating that it did not help me.
No. SMC won't fix it.

You should try play longer. Not just 5 mins. But 30 mins. Let us know.
so i've been playing for a whole bunch of hours and so far i've only completely frozen going into a rift one time (a drastic reduction from before)

but my fps is so much better than it was and i get less lag spikes (that were due to poor computer performance)
04/26/2014 06:01 PMPosted by SleepyXtreme
so i've been playing for a whole bunch of hours and so far i've only completely frozen going into a rift one time (a drastic reduction from before)

but my fps is so much better than it was and i get less lag spikes (that were due to poor computer performance)

This simply means you needed to reset the SMC to give your system a "clean slate". A variety of things can cause a user to need to reset their computer's SMC, sometimes having nothing to do with the game itself and other times having everything to do with the game.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but you should take care not to advertise something as a fix-all, especially when the variables that cause the issues in the first place can and often do vary from one user to the next. It is always wise to diagnose the problem first before attempting to give out a solution since doing otherwise very often makes things worse instead of fixing the problem.

:)
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!