Ladder Challenges

General Discussion
So I've been doing a little brainstorming after the goatman asked what we would like/dislike with ladders, and started thinking what would make ladders the best experience possible.
We already have the reset and profile wipe, new legendaries, if they are ladder only or not doesn't really matter, still be released with ladder seasons. And the challenge (tiered) rift, which as a hardcore player, I can not wait for, super geeked about this part. Still need more though.
The challenge achievements were always pretty fun for me, added a little spice to the game, such as kill the butcher in 1 minute on torment, don't get hit by any abilities, etc.
Now with ladders we could expand upon this idea, with ladder challenges, a set of ladder specific feats that you have to accomplish within the length of the ladder season for x reward, we'll come back to that part later.
So I've come up with a few challenges of my own, and would love to hear more from the community and what you guys would think would be fun. Here's my ideas:
1: complete every level 70 crafted set within the ladder period.
2: complete 1 class set. This would be easier with trading, but could still get it done in a 3-4 month season.
3: level a character to 70 on softcore and hardcore, or maybe level one of each class, either or
4: kill every act boss on torment 6. Could make it torment 3 or higher to make it accessible for everyone, but if it were me, I'd say t6, the end of season push to kill all of these guys on t6 would be awesome on HC. (These are challenges after all)
5: reach paragon 200. A number feasible for everyone in a 4 month season (seems like a good length, why I keep referring to that amount of time) again I'd like it to be maybe 400 or so, but keeping it fair to everyone, around 200-250 would probably be right.
That's probably enough to get the conversation started, still plenty you could add. Now let's talk about rewards.
At first I thought maybe making something similar to the hellfire ring, but maybe a weapon, or a piece of a set that you can use to level new characters would be cool, add a new set piece each season after 4 season or w/e you can complete a fun leveling set for non ladder characters to use, that levels with you as you level. Problem with that is it takes away from any gear you could craft or drops you could get along the way, which is part of the leveling experience, so what else could we do?

Xmog:
Each ladder season can have its own xmog set for completing challenges. Something cool and distinct that you can show off. Perhaps give a glowing effect to your character, (I know people have asked for this) when you have the mog equipped. Would be nice if we could also have these available in the ladder for the following seasons. Something that would be fun to have, nothing game breaking but can keep with you for as long as you play d3.

So what do you guys think? Would love to hear some more ideas for rewards and challenges that could be added to ladders to make them as much fun as possible!
other challenges could be....

slay a certain list of rares, bashiok, jay wilson, etc

enter every dungeon in the world

use all legendary crafting mats once

just some more ideas

edit: Spelling =(
other rewards could include a new style of wings or new color each season
try this one more time today, hopefully people actually see it instead of hunting for flame posts
Seasons offer a lot of potential, and brainstorming unique challenges for them can lead to some great discussions. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread, and I look forward to seeing what interesting ideas you all come up with.
Those are more like achievements, this is what I think of for challenges:
-Normal monsters are given an Elite affix
-Difficulty setting is fixed or increased in some way from non-season
I was thinking of this last night too, it would be cool to have unique challenges on the Ladder that gave unique Transmorgs as rewards. I think it would be cool to do some challenges that allowed you to transmorg all of your items so that you looked like the T2 Paladin set from WoW on your crusader or T4 Warrior on your Barb. It would give a unique cross-platform flavor.

It would be cool to have some of these flavor type things added into the game that gave you something to achieve that gave some rewards that were cosmetic only. There really is not much in the game for that right now...outside of your pre-order wings.
when do you plan on starting the ladder season it sounds interesting please let me know thank you
05/01/2014 01:29 PMPosted by Grimiku
Seasons offer a lot of potential, and brainstorming unique challenges for them can lead to some great discussions. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread, and I look forward to seeing what interesting ideas you all come up with.

Seasons offer very little potential. There is basically no leveling experience and absolutely no economy. Not to mention no trading available. I am curious to see what these developers have up their sleeves.
I disagree with you Layuth. I think seasons offer very good potential. I've read many of the complaints and praises of ladders and here's what it seems to me like it boils down to. Each have their pro's and con's of course.

People start from complete scratch(ie: no gold, no paragon, no max level gems on day 1 release, nothing). Everyone is on step 1 again.

Season only items: You either participate and chance getting them, or you don't and don't have a chance. It's pretty cut and dry. Not willing to sacrifice, then no extra goodies for you.

Majority of people will still build a character on ladder even after complaining/praising. It's inevitable, the thought of getting more/better loot after a few youtube videos or forum posts of an "op build" and boom. Massive influx.

It will take a few days at most to reach 70 again, whether you play on normal or get enough gear for torment. Then just powerlevel other characters there like you do now. It's really not that hard.

Either way, we the players can only send suggestions as what we'd like/dislike so Blizzard can ultimately make what is their decision to make.
what about if you complete ALL achievements you can bring one item to the next ladder, and for the next ladder you can unlock a second slot ect.. =]
05/01/2014 01:45 PMPosted by Polaris
Those are more like achievements

well in a way, they are achievements, but you have to complete the challenges/achievements within the ladder period for "x" reward. so you only have a certain amount of time to complete them

05/01/2014 01:48 PMPosted by Zara
It would be cool to have some of these flavor type things added into the game that gave you something to achieve that gave some rewards that were cosmetic only. There really is not much in the game for that right now...outside of your pre-order wings.

yeah I agree, my mindset when I wrote this was it would just be something fun you could do outside of the rift grind for a cool reward at the end of each season. It would be a lot of fun for people to have that xmog from season 1,2, etc as bragging rights later in the game
View profile
I disagree with you Layuth. I think seasons offer very good potential. I've read many of the complaints and praises of ladders and here's what it seems to me like it boils down to. Each have their pro's and con's of course.

People start from complete scratch(ie: no gold, no paragon, no max level gems on day 1 release, nothing). Everyone is on step 1 again.

Season only items: You either participate and chance getting them, or you don't and don't have a chance. It's pretty cut and dry. Not willing to sacrifice, then no extra goodies for you.

Majority of people will still build a character on ladder even after complaining/praising. It's inevitable, the thought of getting more/better loot after a few youtube videos or forum posts of an "op build" and boom. Massive influx.

It will take a few days at most to reach 70 again, whether you play on normal or get enough gear for torment. Then just powerlevel other characters there like you do now. It's really not that hard.

Either way, we the players can only send suggestions as what we'd like/dislike so Blizzard can ultimately make what is their decision to make.

If the only good thing you can think about with ladders is season only loot, that proves how little potential it has and your right blizzard will force people to play the mode just to have a chance at new loot cause the mode cannot stand alone by itself. Hardcore works fine without exclusive loot yet ladders that offer no challenge needs them to function, thats all that needs to said really.
05/01/2014 03:00 PMPosted by Layuth

Seasons offer very little potential. There is basically no leveling experience and absolutely no economy. Not to mention no trading available. I am curious to see what these developers have up their sleeves.

Ladder exclusive items. They have a history of being stronger than NL items so let's hope they get away from this lazy 4/2 crap.

Can we get a solo tracked mode in the season? Like it tracks whether you have played just Solo mode and once you join a group you become just a standard season character. Basically I would like to compete against other Soloers. Think this would be possible?
With the inclusion of ladder-only items you basically make it mandatory. Why not just add more items to the game (you know..items that don't suck)? Why not fix rifts (is a ladder needed for this?)?

I do not see any need for ladders. They can add the mentioned features without a "reset". If you want to stroke your e-peen or want competition go to diabloprogress.com. Spend development time on things that do not require a complete reset. There is no trading, no economy, no reason for ladders to exist. NONE.
Include a socket quest in the ladder.
05/01/2014 03:35 PMPosted by Zictren

What are you going to do with your special ladder loot when your character is placed back into normal mode? Are your new items so powerful they will allow you to farm higher levels for gear that may not be as good as the special ladder loot?

What is the point? Things are not adding up in my mind; personally, I couldn't care less about seasons so maybe I missed something a blue posted about seasonal loot quality.
Why does there need to be a ladder league and a non-ladder league game separation?

Cant you have ladders also known as seasons merged as part of the same game experience, but have 2 sub-season categories?

1) One for existing characters
2) One for completely new characters

Each category has it's own goals, objectives, tasks, and metrics that can form various leader boards for each category.

Playing an existing character, allows you to join the 'existing character' category for the current season, by resetting your quests back to Act 1

Playing a new character will automatically join you into the 'new character' category for the current season.

At the start of every new season, leader boards reset. Optionally news goals and metrics can be implemented for each of the categories.

Benefits

• This suggestion allows players to continue using existing characters and gives them the option to participate in seasons.
  • Allows players to create new characters and complete in seasons, while not being affected by players that use existing characters as each category has their own separate leader boards.
  • New, updated, changed content and items introduced for seasons is available to all players regardless if they play an existing character or not.
  • Incentive for players to participate in seasons could be:

• Increased Magic Find
  • Increased Quantity of item drops
  • Increased Experience
  • Leader boards obviously
  • Guaranteed Boss legendary drops (Exactly what happens currently if you start a new character or but also applies when you reset your quests)
  • Example Rules

• All items are bind on character while that character is participating in a season. At the end of a season, you can move items between characters that are not participating in a season.
  • Cannot trade items to or from characters, even your own characters, that are participating in a season
  • There is a pre-determined period of time before a new season begins. This allows players to play the normal game, swap items between characters, delete characters they don't want any more etc
  • 05/01/2014 03:00 PMPosted by Layuth

Your a douche really, why, well the fact is they have released nothing about them, so how do you even know? You don't.

The End.