Assassin / Rogue the next class?

Lore and Story
It seems that the new short story about Shen and Jia takes place few days before the start of Diablo 3 story. Do you guys think that we will see an assassin-ish character on the 3rd expansion?

Right now we have 2 of each primary attribute, and the ending of RoS seemed like the end of D3 and maybe a good start for D4. What do you guys think?
04/25/2014 11:29 PMPosted by MustaKrakish
It seems that the new short story about Shen and Jia takes place few days before the start of Diablo 3 story. Do you guys think that we will see an assassin-ish character on the 3rd expansion?

Right now we have 2 of each primary attribute, and the ending of RoS seemed like the end of D3 and maybe a good start for D4. What do you guys think?

They already announced before ROS came out that they've been working on two expansions. There's another expansion to be debuted after ROS. It's possible they may make an assassin kind of character that uses knives/daggers.
I expect from the addon:
- that it plays in Xiansai.
- either gives an assassin/alchemist class or a mystic/psionic class like Myriam.
I think it's time for a class that's primary skill is Vitality. I mean, why not? But then, would that be overpowered? I can't think of any reason why, but I'm not the "spreadsheet every game I play" type of guy. I think the Crusader would have been great as Vit primary class, though, so I can't think of any standard fantasy class that would "lorically" fit the theme. Cleric, maybe?
obviously the next class will be druid or some kind of shapeshifter, here's why :

strenght - barb/crusader

int - wizard/wd

dex - monk/dh

a druid is the next perfect class to be introduced because he can either shapeshift into a bear (str) ; wolf (dex) or use spells (int)
If the story was written to introduce Jia as the new hero, then she will be an assassin of course. Would be fun to hear the conversations she would have with shen.
Its also posssible that we will see more stories in the future and the next expansion will have more then one new class.
Was a good read in any case.
While it's possible that a primary skill as Vitality class could be balanced, it would require a quite different balancing arrangement. The existing classes have a fairly clear-cut case of having a primary attribute, Vitality as a secondary attribute, and then the other two attributes fall well behind (item properties that directly boost associated statistics like armour rating and resist all are usually more efficient). A class with Vitality as primary would be able to concentrate on just boosting that one attribute, and would thus have the benefit other classes get from an item with both primary and Vitality while having one more property slot open for something else. That's an advantage that would need to be compensated for.

And as you comment, it's hard to think of themes that would be basing their damage output on vitality. Not impossible, but certainly harder than the others.

Referring back to the original topic... my gut feeling is that Jia is probably more likely to be an NPC connected to Shen's plot arc than a PC hero. The original assassin playstyle has largely been split between monk and DH (along similar lines to how the original assassin was actually played by most people), and while I may have missed it, I haven't seen any calls for the assassin's return like necromancer, druid, and (pre-expansion) paladin. Additionally, a class based on Jia would be a second PC hailing from Xiangsai, and I'd be surprised if Blizzard decided to have two PCs hailing from the same region.
The next expansion/game seems like it will have a part that takes place in the Skovos Isles, home of the Amazons. In Adventure Mode, Tyrael mentions how he has not heard from the group of Horadrim that he sent there, and then Lorath says Skovos is a dangerous place. It would also make since that this area features in the next expansion/game because apart from the Dahlgur Oasis, we have not really gotten a island or jungle type of environment that the Skovos Isles could offer. So Blizzard designers could think that would be a nice addition to the game, possibly giving the region interesting weather effects like rainstorms or something just to make it more unique. Skovos would also allow a version of the Amazon to feature as one of the new playable classes.

Because of the fact that all the primary attributes except vitality are associated with 2 classes, it would make since that they add a new primary attribute, and 2 new classes associated with it. The UI as it is right now would support this, though they will probably redesign it a little for the expansion anyways. So, one of the new playable classes would probably be a variation on the Amazon. The other playable could be something like a druid or a shaman. Or it could be something from a more winter type environment since we have not seen much of that either.
I dont think theres gonna be an assassin cause we got a dual wielder, we got a sneaky class (dh) really d3 doesnt have space for another rogue type.
I hope well see an amazon thrown and melee is not something we have currently
Shapeshifter and character based on spears. I doubt about assasin, cause batman-alike character already exists - DH. Also shaman and dh throw a lot of things, dunno what new they would invent.
Assassin? We have DH
Druid? We have Witch Dr.
Shaman? Witch Dr.

I would say that Amazon would be the choice if it was taking place in Skovos. Who cares if theres an extra Dex or Str class? the game started uneven so.

Also. What if theres no new classr???? Dun dun dun
Druids can shape shift. Witch Doctors can't. They both can be pet classes but beyond that they're nothing alike.
Assassin was a melee class with traps, DH is ranged with traps.. Beyond both having traps they're nothing alike.
09/12/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Dhakka
Druids can shape shift. Witch Doctors can't. They both can be pet classes but beyond that they're nothing alike.
Assassin was a melee class with traps, DH is ranged with traps.. Beyond both having traps they're nothing alike.

The most similar class to assassin would be monk. Both were martial classes that used fist weapons. Dhakka is right. The assassin is nothing like the DH. The closest to the DH would be amazon.
My ideal new class would be Exorcist: a member of an order dedicated to freeing Sanctuary of both Angels and Demons and their influence on humanity, accessing the primal side of their Nephalem powers in order to gain the powers of both angels AND demons, using Vitality in order to power these powers and their toll on the human body.
The skill tree would involve infusing weapons/armor with angelic and demonic powers/magics, and use polearms and long handle weapons to channel those powers.
Sentry's (the only actual assassin build)? Burst of Speed? Dual wield? Shadow Based abilities?

They're nothing alike? lol k.

Tell me more about how monks and assassins are both religious based classes that do base holy damage and quote religious sayings.

If assassin is the next class, get a hold of me and I'll make a youtube video of myself eating my computer.
09/15/2014 10:08 AMPosted by Pabst
Sentry's (the only actual assassin build)? Burst of Speed? Dual wield? Shadow Based abilities?

They're nothing alike? lol k.

Tell me more about how monks and assassins are both religious based classes that do base holy damage and quote religious sayings.

If assassin is the next class, get a hold of me and I'll make a youtube video of myself eating my computer.

There was other builds other than traps. If you claim otherwise you haven't played D2 for very long. It's not just about "Lore theme." what was the assassin? A martial artist that yes employed traps but most of her skills was about martial arts. What weapons did she use? Fist weapons. What other class fits this style? A mirror class is one that shares the same GAMEPLAY as another class.

Also aside from traps everything the assassin does is mimicked by the monk. A move that "Teleports" you to your enemy? Check. Shadow clone? We got Elemental clones. Etc etc.

Either way Assassin won't likely be the next class because we already have the assassin in the "monk."

Likewise, unless the amazon is heavily altered we won't be seeing that return either. Aside from the javelin throwing thing we have the amazon. It's the DH.
Wasn't the Demon Hunter designed to be a combination of D2's Assassin and Amazon? I doubt they'd make a new class based on those two since the DH is already there.

I guess, a "shape-shifter" would be the most unique way to go. Being able to change into certain animals without a time limit for each form and each having their own skill sets. Maybe even change into an angel or demon as a level 70 skill or something.

It's gonna be interesting what Blizzard will cook up for the next expansion class since the classes we have now, pretty much branch-off to many other generic classes of games.
Quiet All! Here's what I think is going to happen:

Judging by the end game of Reaper Of Souls, our characters will develop into either two forked "fates". The Light and the Dark, the Pure and the Corrupt and will be swing in between as Diablo tries to corrupt our hero's mind . So the new character will have to reflect on this BECAUSE the Diablo's soul is released upon the world again; and so our characters will have to ward off this new evil by fighting psychological battles as diablo tries to dominate the hero's psyche.

THEREFORE:
Our newest hero will be a Psychologist! Having studied in the great Halls of Vizjerei Mages of the Mind. His greatest Magic will be Reason and Prescription Drugs to help fight this old evil that's unleashed upon the world of Sanctuary, Hells yes!

*Edit: Grammatical error corrections for the Grammar !@#$s out there.
A vitality class and a shapeshifting class can be combined. How about a vampire? They'd be a pure vitality class, and according to vampire literature from centuries ago, they are natural shapeshifters too. Vamps would still be nephalem, albeit undead ones.
Okay well here is an interesting idea I read on another forum that I will share here!

Just some food for thought!

The Half-Breed is a hybrid human-demon class, similar to the way the Leah is half demon. Unlike Leah, though, the Half-Breed has some degree of control over his/her demonic heritage, and can shape-shift into a demonic form as the class's main specialty. The Half-Breed's resource is Instability, an old mechanic produced around 2009-10 that was going to be the Wizard's resource before the devs decided on Arcane Power. Instability's mechanic was, as far as I understood, that every spell generated resource, and you had no cap on how much you could use, giving you infinite resource. However, when you hit a certain level, you were hit by a large debuff, and had to let your Instability drain away (by not casting spells) in order to remove the debuff. The devs said that they canned Instability because players ignored the buff/debuff rather than playing around it; as a result, I have changed Instability's usage in regards to the Half-Breed in order to make it far harder to ignore.

Instability now works as a sort-of double resource, like Hatred and Discipline, except taking up only one globe instead of two. The Half-Breed's main specialty is becoming a demon; as a result, Instability governs your transformations. The Half-Breed begins as a human who specializes in demonology and dark magic, similar to Magda's cultists, and the dark arts that Adria teaches Leah. As a result, the human side would feel similar to the WD, except with a higher amount of summoning, utilizing pets that are timed, so that you can summon many demonic familiars that last for only a short time (as opposed to the WD, who can summon only a few creatures that last until they die). Each summon or spell is an Instability generator, with the exception of cooldown-only spells, and when your Instability is maxed out, your character shape-shifts into a demonic form. All Half-Breed spells have two sides: human and demon; as a result, when you transform, your skills transform from human skills to demon skills. While most human skills generate Instability, most demon skills spend Instability. In general, demon skills would be far more powerful than human skills, while also being far more costly. The main idea of the class is that the human form relies on summons to deal damage, with few other strong damage spells, while the demon form deals massive damage, but cannot be sustained for long due to its high Instability costs.

The passive skills would focus on three ideas in general: making human form stronger and less reliant on transformation, making demon form last longer and less of a quick boost, and enhancing summons to make a true summoning build viable. In addition, the new itemization changes help support the human and demon forms respectively. Demon form's longevity is greatly helped by the new reduced resource cost modifier, while reduced cooldowns help mitigate the higher cooldowns of the human form's non-Instability generating spells.

The main-stat would likely be Intelligence, though the original idea was that of a true hybrid class, mixing Strength and Intelligence. The original idea was that human form benefited from Intelligence but not Strength, while demon form benefited from Strength but not Intelligence: as a result, your build would determine your play style, and vice-versa. However, we now have a perfect balance of 2-2-2 in terms of stat-based classes, so making the class full-hybrid is no longer as necessary (I came up with the original idea about 3 months before RoS was even announced).

Obviously, I'd love to see the devs create my idea, but besides that, I'd like to see a new take on the Druid. I feel like the old Druid wasn't very well fleshed out: his Elemental tree was a take-off of the Sorceress, while his Summoning tree was a take-off of the Necromancer. Only really the Shape-Shifting tree was unique to the Druid, and it was badly done because the tree was already split into two different trees: the Werewolf and Werebear trees. Because both trees were mutually exclusive, neither one felt well-developed: both lacked good skill options, and specializing in one naturally excluded the other.

Let me know what you guys think of this!! Again not my idea, just something I thought would be really cool that I read on another forum!