►►Unable to start Diablo 3 Launcher [Solution]◄◄

Mac Technical Support
I have been seeing reports that players are having issues running Diablo III by clicking the game client's icon in the Diablo III folder, and after having experienced the same by testing on my installation, I have determined the cause and found a series of steps that will resolve this issue for you and allow you to once again use the Diablo III icon to launch your game as you did prior to this patch:

1) Navigate to the folder containing the Diablo 3 game executable and the Diablo 3 Launcher.

2) Delete the file Diablo III Launcher (move to trash via CMD-Delete/Backspace).

3) Run the Blizzard Desktop App. You should already have this as it is required to run Diablo 3 as of 2.0.1. If your BDA is set to automatically apply updates it will download a new fully functional Launcher app and place it where it belongs in your Diablo III directory. If your BDA is set to the Never automatically apply updates option, then you will need to manually click Update and the BDA will then perform the update operation.

The issue should now be resolved regarding the Diablo 3 app failing to run the Launcher. It seems that the initial patching download from the CDN servers had a corrupt file (the launcher) which appears fixed as of today and deleting and redownloading it resolves this.

Good luck, and enjoy the great loot hunt! :)
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
Thanks for your workaround on this Tiap!
Thank you will def try tonight... in the meantime what I did was simply load battle net, let it initialize for few seconds and click on play and the game launches normally... but thank you again for your support.
Tia, does this also resolve it CONSTANTLY "initializing" after every time you exit game? That's getting pretty ridiculous too.
This definitely solved the launcher issue. However the game redownloads the latest patch every time I launch it.

Thank you for the info though. Much appreciated.
05/15/2014 10:52 AMPosted by MysticalOS
Tia, does this also resolve it CONSTANTLY "initializing" after every time you exit game? That's getting pretty ridiculous too.

'Fraid not. That's gonna require a BDA update or a fix to whatever URL or file is causing (potentially) bad patch data to be picked up by the BDA. This one is out of our hands.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Wuhuuu!
Thank you for this solution! It works!
So just get fixed the "all time update problem" ;)
This didn't solve the issue for me. (OSX 10.9). Though (as before) I was able to launch it via the Battle.Net app.
05/16/2014 09:36 PMPosted by Hyperation
This didn't solve the issue for me. (OSX 10.9). Though (as before) I was able to launch it via the Battle.Net app.

Could you tell me each step you took in order? This has been tested internally and is a known positive fix, so I'd like to try and understand what is different about your situation.
TheTias, Thanks a bunch. Your recommendation worked like a charm. Take care.
05/17/2014 09:25 PMPosted by Corezonius
TheTias, Thanks a bunch. Your recommendation worked like a charm. Take care.

Anytime! :)
I deleted the Diablo III Launcher and restarted my computer, but the BDA still gives the error: Failed to start Diablo III Launcher. Please help!
Not sure if this matters or not, but the Diablo 3 launcher issue also seemed to coincide directly with the issues in this thread

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12673457237?page=4#75

Things were rock solid for me, but it seems that when this issue with the launcher was introduced, the locking issue seemed to manifest itself as well.
Hey all,

If TheTias' workaround doesn't work, it may be related to a permission issue. Try the steps below.

If you're missing the Diablo III Launcher.app file, try repairing Diablo III from the Blizzard App, which should restore the missing launcher.
05/18/2014 01:38 AMPosted by Shinsanity
I deleted the Diablo III Launcher and restarted my computer, but the BDA still gives the error: Failed to start Diablo III Launcher. Please help!

Shinsanity, please go to the following site and download the SetupOSX.MPQ setup file and place it into your Diablo 3 folder (click OK to confirm overwriting the old SetupOSX.MPQ):

http://patchup.info/blizz/tools/Mac/

Delete the Launcher one more time, and re-run the BDA. It will use the SetupOSX.MPQ found in the Diablo 3 folder to create the current form of the launcher, which should then work just fine. If by chance this does not work, perform the following steps to reset permissions in all Blizzard folders:

Resetting Permissions

1) Navigate to the folder containing your Diablo III folder, and then highlight your Diablo III folder in the Finder.

2) Right click the Diablo III folder icon and select Get Info.

3) Click the Padlock icon at the bottom of the Get Info window and enter your administrator password (this authenticates you as an administrator).

4) In the Sharing and Permissions tab, select the Everybody group and choose Read and Write option in the Privileges pulldown menu. Make sure you are working with the pulldown menu on the same line as the Everybody group.

5) Click the Cogwheel icon at the bottom of the window and select Apply to enclosed items. When it asks you to confirm this, select OK. Close the Get Info window.

Your permissions are now set properly for Diablo III and all of its game files.

6) Navigate to your /Users/Shared folder in the Finder.

7) Right click the Blizzard folder and select Get Info.

8) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.

9) Right click the Battle.net folder and select Get Info.

10) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.
05/18/2014 04:48 PMPosted by TheTias
05/18/2014 01:38 AMPosted by Shinsanity

Shinsanity, please go to the following site and download the SetupOSX.MPQ setup file and place it into your Diablo 3 folder (click OK to confirm overwriting the old SetupOSX.MPQ):

http://patchup.info/blizz/tools/Mac/

Delete the Launcher one more time, and re-run the BDA. It will use the SetupOSX.MPQ found in the Diablo 3 folder to create the current form of the launcher, which should then work just fine. If by chance this does not work, perform the following steps to reset permissions in all Blizzard folders:

Resetting Permissions

1) Navigate to the folder containing your Diablo III folder, and then highlight your Diablo III folder in the Finder.

2) Right click the Diablo III folder icon and select Get Info.

3) Click the Padlock icon at the bottom of the Get Info window and enter your administrator password (this authenticates you as an administrator).

4) In the Sharing and Permissions tab, select the Everybody group and choose Read and Write option in the Privileges pulldown menu. Make sure you are working with the pulldown menu on the same line as the Everybody group.

5) Click the Cogwheel icon at the bottom of the window and select Apply to enclosed items. When it asks you to confirm this, select OK. Close the Get Info window.

Your permissions are now set properly for Diablo III and all of its game files.

6) Navigate to your /Users/Shared folder in the Finder.

7) Right click the Blizzard folder and select Get Info.

8) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.

9) Right click the Battle.net folder and select Get Info.

10) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.

EDIT: Got it to work.
Doesn't work for me:-(. I deleted the game, downloaded again, reinstall, made this proces and nothing:-(
05/20/2014 06:29 AMPosted by Lukas
Doesn't work for me:-(. I deleted the game, downloaded again, reinstall, made this proces and nothing:-(

You were only supposed to delete the Diablo III Launcher. What errors are you getting exactly, because reinstalling the game should also give you the non-corrupt version of the Diablo III Launcher just the same.
I have to update and wait for initializing every time.