RIF: Being Useful with Crappy Gear

Demon Hunter
I know you, because you've joined plenty of my games and almost lived long enough to make it out of Survivors' Enclave. Your gear sucks, but that's ok because mine does too. Luckily your DH can still be useful in Rift It Forward even when selflessly joining difficulties where you'd normally get 1-shot by the Obelisk itself (you know who you are).

When joining a RIF game you have two jobs:
1. Help the group kill the Rift Guardian
2. Stay alive (see job #1)

The Rift Guardian won't be impressed with that wet noodle you call a weapon, so do what normal people do... hide it by compensating in other ways (not me though, I just happen to like large trucks).

Note: I'm not going to tell you what offensive skills to use, just like I'm not going to ask why you're wearing +Arcane Dmg gear. However, you'll want an attack with a high proc rate to keep that Discipline Life-Support flowing.

Proc Rates: http://www.d3maxstats.com/?p=procrates&class=dh

(actives)
-Smoke Screen: Keeps you alive despite your -1337 All Resists.

-Marked for Death (Death Toll): The less dead people are, the less likely they are to care about the dress you're trying to pass off as armor. Keep them less dead by making their attacks vs the Rift Guardian heal them while doing more damage.

-Companion (Wolf): +30% damage for all group members, including the wolf that probably does more damage than you do.

-Sentry (Aid Station or Guardian Turret): AoE healing or damage reduction that's castable from long range and attacks enemies for you? It's so good it almost makes up for the logarithmic relationship between the fight duration and your total damage output.

-Preparation (Focused Mind): More Discipline to spam the only skill keeping you from losing all 37 of your total hitpoints.

(passives)
-Custom Engineering: A third healbot/damage shield and probably a 50% increase in your eDPS.

-Night Stalker: More Smoke Screen fuel, because even Rare gear can roll Crit Chance.

-Single Out: Because Rare gear can't roll that much Crit Chance.

-Perfectionist: No seriously, Smoke Screen is the only reason your character's life span in milliseconds exceeds 3 digits.

Fortunately Rare gear is easy to get. It can be crafted at the Blacksmith or that creepy guy who taught us all the value of a good barrel. You can also use the Blood Shards so generously donated by people who probably didn't even realize you had joined their game.

Here are the stats you'll want so party members are less likely to mistake you for AFK.

-Cooldown Reduction: Because having a Smoke Screen cooldown shorter than its duration is the only way you're casting a second one. Faster Sentry deployment and Buff reapplication are icing on the... lets be honest, it's just icing.

-Critical Strike Chance: Yes, even though rounding your Crit Damage up the the nearest integer would probably triple your dps, critical strikes do at least return Discipline with Night Stalker.

-Attack Speed: With your gear you need all of the Disc regen you can get.

-Resource Cost Reduction: Seriously, just hold down the damn Smoke Screen button already.

-Move Speed / Vitality: At least pretend like it matters.

-Cooldown Reduction: Live to hide another day.

-All Resist: Hopefully this brings your total into positive territory.

-Resource Cost Reduction: Because having Discipline really is the only way you can mask bad gear with good execution.

Drop Turret -> Mark Guardian -> Pop Wolf Buff -> Don't Die

Yes, that last one is important. If you die so do your Sentries, and you need your Sentries in place to buff the people carrying you (no, their buffs don't stack, so spread them out). Put them where they will buff party members, because that's the entire point.

If you need to run away to stay alive, do it. No, do not enter another zone... that also kills your sentries and all benefit they (you) provide.

If you insist on joining games way above your effectiveness level then at least try to make it easier for your party members. Help them help you or you'll help them put you on ignore.

Happy Hunting Paper Soldier!
Or: do what I do and get the rift boss low enough that you don't have to suffer through 10 minutes of leechers plinking away at it with their 1k DPS weapons.

Then run away and call for people to join. Worked well enough for me so far.
05/09/2014 09:52 PMPosted by Gnillort
Or: do what I do and get the rift boss low enough that you don't have to suffer through 10 minutes of leechers plinking away at it with their 1k DPS weapons.

Then run away and call for people to join. Worked well enough for me so far.

I don't think we're targeting quite the same audience. ;-)
While a bit condescending......still funny.
05/09/2014 10:01 PMPosted by ParagonFury

Hehe.. I think his point is, you can still be useful while being carried. We actually have a decent range of party support skills and a lot of tools to help us avoid damage.
I thought it was funny...cause i could see him say it with a straight face.
Also when you're definitely leeching, and aren't short on fragments, just offer to open the next rift up front.

Every now and then I do some RiF on my garbage-tier Wizard or Barb. In addition to making a terrible spec designed to buff everyone else while keeping me alive, I'll generally say I'll open the next rift as soon as I join. It makes people happier that I'm acknowledging that I know they're carrying me, and as a bonus it gets rid of the annoying "who did you want opening?" lag after the boss.
Paper Soldier Club ^-^?
05/09/2014 10:08 PMPosted by Oble
05/09/2014 10:01 PMPosted by ParagonFury

Hehe.. I think his point is, you can still be useful while being carried. We actually have a decent range of party support skills and a lot of tools to help us avoid damage.

Yea, DH can be useful with good spec and execution even when lacking gear.

Unfortunately the specs I see for some DH players are ones that are amazing with good gear, but basically useless with their gear. They drain all their resources firing 4 cluster arrows for a whopping .5% of the RG's health and then plink away at it with entangling shot.

I'm not saying they're bad players or anything, they just aren't playing to the reality of their circumstances.
+1