Tried PoE

Games & Technology
1 2 3 8 Next
BEWARE: Wall-o-Text incoming. Tried to format but some stuff may get a little long-winded.

So a couple days ago my friend convinced me to try Path of Exile for the first time. I was a bit hesitant to pick up a new game because I'm playing several at the same time already, but he insisted so I figured I would give him the benefit of the doubt. My experience over the last couple days with Path has been.... amazing to say it in a word. It's everything I hoped Diablo 3 would be and I think it made pretty obvious some of the major failings of this sequel.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Diablo 3 and I'll still probably turn it on occasionally. I certainly got my money's worth out of it. I'm simply giving a comparison between the two games to hopefully convey why I think Path has such better design. If you've played a lot of PoE the rest of this post probably isn't for you, since you probably know more than I do about the game. This next part will be for those of you who haven't played it, to see what people mean when they say X thing about Diablo 3 is bad and that D2 or other games are better at it.

1. Skill point allocation
  • In Diablo 3 you get mainstat + vit depending on your class, crit chance, crit damage, and increased attack speed. Your decision to get crit chance versus damage and attack speed is your "build." You either attack fast and generate lots of your resource or you attack slower and do more damage. Some lucky few can get all 3 of these stats on gear, but for the most part its those stats with a %element damage if you're playing the expansion content. There's no grey area in between. This system feels extremely dumbed down and streamlined compared to it's predecessor Diablo 2. We all know how D2's system worked so I won't discuss that, and if you don't then I recommend checking it out because I personally thought it was really cool.
  • In Path of Exile you get a passive skill tree. This is where you "level up" your character. You choose a class at the beginning which determines your starting point on the tree, and then you branch off in whatever direction you want. The slots you can choose from on this tree range from +%life nodes to %faster cast speed, +int/dex/str, +%fire damage or burning damage, life regen, etc. There are also complete build changing nodes such as Chaos Immunity which reduces your total health to 1 and makes you immune to chaos damage, relying on your energy shield to live. There are other cool ones too, such as Elemental Equilibrium which increases monster resistances to +25% against the element they just received damage from and reducing their resists by 50% from other elements. These are your build changers and they are completely determined by passive skill allocation. Throughout the game you'll get something like 20 respec points which let you remove an allocated point to put it somewhere else, but for the most part you are completely locked into your decisions. I can tell you that I already dissolved my first character 20 levels in because I realized the mistakes I was making were too huge to simply respec later.
  • 2. Skill Choices
  • In Diablo 3 you unlock your skills and "runes" as you level up. At any point you can switch these out and once you hit level 61 you have access to every skill for your character. RoS has taken a step in the right direction by making your build somewhat limiting by adding in %elemental damage and %skill damage to gear. Now if you've got a ton of fire damage you can't easily respec into lightning until you get the gear pieces for it, though it's certainly possible. You will never, ever need to make another character. You simply need gear to make a build work because there is no stat allocation aside from paragon which is completely interchangeable at any point ever.
  • In Path of Exile your skills take the form of gems. You place these gems in item slots and it gives you the power to hotkey that skill to one of your keybindings. There are 3 color gems in the game - blue, green, and red. Some are "support" gems, others are auras and armors, and the rest are skills. Gear comes with gem slots that can be linked together, so you could put a fireball gem in a piece of gear with a +fire penetration support gem linked. This would modify your fireball to cost 140% mana and deal additional damage based on the gem that it is linked to. As you level up, your gems level up with you. I currently have a level 13 flameblast gem on my Witch in Path. I believe they max out at 20. You can choose not to level up your gem to keep mana costs low, but this typically impacts the damage output negatively as well. Some auras will reserve mana and it can be good to keep them at a low level to reserve less of your mana pool (reduces your maximum by the stated value or percent). Just like Diablo, you can easily change out your skills at leisure. The downside is that you'll have to level up your new gem to get it on the level of your old ones, but they scale with your level so it catches up fairly fast once you've socketed it. Last of all, you don't simply get these gems for levelling up. Some are quest rewards, but most gems you have to find as drops. You can also use any gem on any character you build. I could build a maurader (strength based barbarian class) and give him lightning warp (teleport) and firestorm (fire blizzard) if I want. There's nothing stopping me from doing that at all. There aren't even stat requirements on gems other than if you level a gem up you will have a level requirement to equip it.
  • 3. Gear/Item Diversity
  • In Diablo 3, every class and every build is completely limited to RNG. If I want to build an earthquake barbarian, I have to get the set and boots first. There are no shortcuts and there's no way for me to speed this up. All I can do is build a barbarian and farm with him for a month or more to get the items I need. It's all completely up to RNG. That set I can't even gamble with Kadala because it's a class specific set. Kadala was certainly an improvement to the game in the sense that you can look for the items you want, but it's still incredibly limited. Another point I'd like to make about Diablo 3 gear is that all "good" gear looks the same. If I look at your amulet and it doesn't have X, Y, and Z on it then I say "well that amulet is god awful" and I'm correct. If you have an amulet with 700 vitality, 80 all resist, and 2000 life on hit on your fire wizard then I'm going to laugh at you, plain and simple, because there are only a few viable stats for amulets and those stats are the same for every class and every build. The same goes for every piece of gear.
  • In Path of Exile, gear has a ton more viable affixes. You aren't limited by the dps of your weapon unless you actually use your weapon to deal damage. If you're a spell caster and your wand or scepter got a crappy damage roll, who cares? In Diablo you flip your table, but in Path you look at it and say "well +20% elemental damage and +24% mana regen looks pretty effin sweet to me, plus that thing has 6 sockets and they're all linked!" Or maybe you got a wand with a super high damage roll and you want to use it? There's a skill for that too! There are so many viable build and gear combinations in Path that it's almost absurd. You could probably turn any trash piece of gear you find into a usable item, especially if you use the reroll system which I'll talk about next.
  • 4. Rerolls
  • In Diablo 3 we have the mystic. Reroll a single affix on an item for a fairly reasonable cost. Bind on account and other affixes become locked in. Straightforward, but extremely limited. Once again players are ridiculously susceptible to RNG. You can't find the legendary pants you've been looking for, realize they rolled the absolute lowest stats, and reroll everything to the max with your currency.
  • In Path you don't have an NPC to reroll for you, it's simply currency. In the game you get orbs of transmog/alchemy/chaos, etc. These are the trading currency between players and NPCs and they are also used to reroll stats on gear. Different currencies have different affects and values. You can reroll the number of sockets, the links between sockets, the stats on your gear, the quality of your item, you can even scour it down to a "white" item if you really want, or upgrade it to a random quality or quality of your choice (except legendary, though random quality can be legendary). If you finally get the legendary you're looking for with crap rolls, you can reroll it til you go broke. You can make that first legendary you found into a best in slot item if you've got the money for it. You don't have to find another one because the first one rolled poorly, who knows how long that could take! I'm sure you're all familiar with the woes of searching for a specific legendary item. It's unreasonably painful if you need it for a build, especially if you find one and its a piece of crap.
  • 5. General feel/Environment/Character Controls
  • Something D3 really did right is the "feel" of moving around with your character. Everything feels really fluid and nice, pathing is pretty good as well. The thing they did wrong (in my opinion) is the environment. Everything feels so bright, and even when there's blood sprayed on a wall it doesn't look scary or out of place. It doesn't make your gut drop to see a pool of blood in D3.
  • In Path everything feels so... real. Truly randomized maps for starters, as opposed to the recurring instances and patterns that you see over and over on D3. But the real difference is the feel of moving through a map. In Act 3 of path there's a jungle maze, and good lord it feels like you're in a damn jungle. There are also dark dungeons will blood spattered walls and pools that look and feel authentic. That feel scary. The mood just feels so much like Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, especially when compared to the bright atmosphere of Diablo 3. Path, on the other hand, seems to have a pretty clunky character design early on. It isn't until you get faster cast speed and movement speed that things start to feel more fluid. Maybe that was intentional, but I think it was a bit overdone. At a bare minimum I'll accept and acknowledge that D3 implemented that better than Path.
  • Concluding Thoughts
    Path of Exile feels like the sequel to Diablo 2. Diablo 3 feels like an entirely different game. It almost seems to insult my intelligence compared to the options I have in Path. It seems to insult the target audience for a Diablo game by making it bright and cartoon-like compared to it's prequels. Diablo 3 does have some things that make it feel nicer than Path, but for the most part I'm a huge fan of the overall design choices that they've made. It's also free to play, but that's neither here nor there.

Thanks for reading!
    Please, not this again.
    I'd try it if I weren't so invested in D3 already, I'll probably just drop ARPGs in total for a while.
    Path of Exile is Diablo 3.

Current Diablo 3 is a console casual fest.
    POE is for scrubs.
    So... they don't have a forum?
    04/30/2014 09:10 AMPosted by Snoozey
    Path of Exile is Diablo 3.

Current Diablo 3 is a console casual fest.
    PoE is awsome, i just wish they didn't wipe passives at the end of the season, that totally screwed my scion.
    Farm docks for maps.

Maps don't drop enough from the map'd instances. Back to farming docks. Did I mention you don't get any exp from docks?

Desync.
    Massive range advantage vs melee

Passive tree is huge. Unfortunately it's only worth getting hp nodes on your way to game changing passives.

Game has trading!

"WTS Helm of Awesomeness"
    "How much?"
    "Offer?"
    "I don't know. You're wanting to sell. What's your price?"
    "!@#$ if you don't have an offer."
    "3 chaos"
    "WOW WAY TO WASTE MY TIME. DONT TALK TO ME AGAIN FGT"

Oh the joys of human interaction on the internet.

Welcome to PoE. Oh also, no one wears leggings. Only short shorts.
    04/30/2014 09:12 AMPosted by ginnix
    POE is for scrubs.

After playing POE, D3 ROS hc mode is a joke...
    225 paragons and didnt even feel the difficulty. You can say yea, go to T6, but whats the point.
    POE is good, but desync issue made me quit.
    Desync made the game unplayable especially for some specific builds, at least Diablo3 doesnt have this problem.
    No amount of "depth" would make that turd playable. Sorry, just my feels.
    04/30/2014 09:17 AMPosted by daays
    Farm docks for maps.

Maps don't drop enough from the map'd instances. Back to farming docks. Did I mention you don't get any exp from docks?

Desync.
    Massive range advantage vs melee

Passive tree is huge. Unfortunately it's only worth getting hp nodes on your way to game changing passives.

Game has trading!

"WTS Helm of Awesomeness"
    "How much?"
    "Offer?"
    "I don't know. You're wanting to sell. What's your price?"
    "!@#$ if you don't have an offer."
    "3 chaos"
    "WOW WAY TO WASTE MY TIME. DONT TALK TO ME AGAIN FGT"

Oh the joys of human interaction on the internet.

Welcome to PoE. Oh also, no one wears leggings. Only short shorts.

While I do like PoE quite a bit and still hop on from time to time, I'm just going to point out that this guy has it pretty much spot on! =P
    As a long time PoE player you'll be utterly disappointed later on. There are select few ways to obtain wealth in the game, and you need wealth to become a top player. Basically to get really good really fast you have to farm all day or flip.

Oh and don't forget every major patch they nerf tons of builds. Way more than patches here.

I say this as a wealthy PoE player. 600+ ex worth of gear and 122 ex still in my stash. I hated flipping though, so it literally took me a year to obtain all this through farming.
    I played PoE for quite a while.
    I playec it over and over again, in the eternal hunt for items of the "currency" type. I really amassed enough to create a very good set of stats and equipment in at least one of my characters.
    THEN... Dominus happened.

When passing from the 2nd Difficulty level to the 3rd and last one... Dominus cheated.

What is the cheat?... You face him, he does the usual stuff, you die. Probably your own fault, no problem.
    THEN, when you get in, you WILL die, no matter what. The thing is, you'll be safe in a small area around him... but you'll enter the fight again at a more remote place - which is why you'll die: The whole scenario is full of deadly blood and it will always be there, no matter how many times you re-enter that room (it's a rooftop, actually). So.... no way to defeat Dominus - unless you re-tape the quests to a point where you get a fresh Dominus.

I got fed-up with this. There is no such crap in Diablo.

I was getting well and enjoying the game. But this kind of stuff pisses me off royally. Any game character should be consistent with the game difficulty you're playing. Their main boss character is not. It's a shock.

That is why it my PoE stuff is lying somewhere in their servers and my PC - maybe someday I read about this stupidity having been fixed. Then I might resume. But, as my patience has a very long recharge time.... we'll see. Someday. Or never...

P.S: I am a patient guy. I have done the same bits of the game over and over again, just to get those items that let you build and modify other items (they are called "currency" items, because they have some definition of value - x amount of this item for y amount of another item based on how to convert/upgrade them - and I painstakingly worked on my gear to create more sockets, of the best colors for better exploring my skills and passives, etc. Anyone that has played the game for a while knows about this.
    But when good gear and a good passive tree that was built carefully iron down all the monsters easily and it seems that you're ready for the next level - bad design happens - and patience runs out in the face of deception.
    I tried P.o.E and enjoyed it, but I have so much time invested in D3 i just cant drop it and I dont have the time to play 2 in depth games. I agree with others in that this type of post really doesnt belong on the D3 forums. Every one knows about P.o.E in one way or another, its on steam now so a larger group of players will see it. I know your post was just to compare the 2, but it will ignite a rage pool of forum fire starters.
    So.... no way to defeat Dominus

If you have good gear you can do dom easy. I used to do 100+ runs a day without dying once, 2-4 minutes per run.

Edit: And that's with a mf set on. 512IIR/160IIQ