[VIDEO] T6 Forked Lightning, Elite Montage

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
05/18/2014 06:40 PMPosted by Cilarnen
Isn't it anything below 0.5 seconds gets ignored? So with the trap, at 65% resist the stun would still be like 0.51 seconds or something.

I'm not exactly sure. Someone more knowledgeable in that department, like Apo, would be best to ask.

I did try slotting in my Dovu and Wyrdward and put on enough gear to get like 2.2 APS to see what kind of stun strength I could get, though. Still wasn't enough to keep elites locked down. Kill speed went down quite a bit, too, since I had to use a different weapon and lost a lot of +Lightning and +Elite damage. Maybe if I had a much better Dovu and an SoH with attack speed instead of bonus damage it would be ok. But even then there wasn't a noticeable increase in stun strength, so at best it would be a wash.

05/18/2014 07:30 PMPosted by penguinhorse
whats shock pulse for?

Single target stuff. Unruned Shock Pulse will proc SoH on cast 93% of the time. If Shock Pulse hits the target along with all 3 SoH lightning bolts, it's 929% weapon damage per cast for me. Shock Pulse shoots 3 bolts, but a single mob can only ever be hit by 1 of them. All 3 SoH bolts can hit the same target, though. There's really nothing else in the Lightning department that can compete with that except for Lightning Archon. I prefer Shock Pulse because I don't have to rely on 3p Vyrs + RoRG, and it's available all the time unlike Archon.

05/18/2014 09:15 PMPosted by Jaetch
Nice, Malakai. One of my wizards is on her way toward a lightning build (got a couple of Shards of Hate to reroll), Myken's + Camaral, lightning SoJ, Thundergod's.

[/quote]

Pretty nice gear so far on Linessa. Envious of that Dovu you got there.
Too slow :(

I had high hopes for this build, since I've got a gear set in progress for it, but my fire build is still several times faster. Damn. I'd absolutely love to switch to a lightning build too...

Hopefully lightning wizards get some love soon!
05/18/2014 09:19 PMPosted by Nel
Really like this build and you showcased it very well. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

Proof that Lightening does hold possibilities.

Thanks. It's a shame we don't have a cool Lightning spender that would compliment the build well. Maybe one day.

05/18/2014 09:32 PMPosted by Dons
@Malakai what are your thoughts regarding some tweaks I have in mind:
Items
SoH, Velvel Camaral, Mykens Ball of Hate
Shoulders and Chest - Aughilds
Bracers - Ancient Parthan Defenders (int, light%, CC)
Pants, Gloves - Cains
Rings - RoRG, SOJ
Boots - Firewalkers or Ice Climbers
Belt - Thundergods Vigor or Witching Hour

I like the idea of Ancient Parthan Defenders, and was something I wanted to incorporate into the build at some point. I have a pair, but they rolled Cold so I can't reroll to get Lightning and CC on them. When things are stunned, you're not getting hit by normal attacks, but the extra mitigation could let you stand in more stuff oftentimes. Less moving = more dps. Parthans might also allow you to forgo Aughilds shoulder + chest in favor of something like Tal's chest + amulet (extra IAS + the 2p bonus of 5% more Lightning) and maybe using Death Watch Mantle.

For pants and gloves, I really do think that ultimately you'd want Taskers and slot in Lightning Hydra over Canonneer, and then use Pox Faulds pants. I have Taskers, but I need trifecta ones in order to compete with the Cains pants + gloves I have currently (I lose 150k sheet using the Taskers I have, and that's just from the lost CHD). Pox Faulds still continue to elude me.

This is all, of course, if you decide to NOT use Vyrs + Archon in the build.

05/19/2014 05:12 AMPosted by Daemon
I've been running a lightning build the past week. Do you notice that when stuns happen it tends to happen in the whole clump of enemies? And do you also notice that stuns occur more on "bigger" enemies? Maybe it is just confirmation bias.

I do notice the clump stun thing you mention quite often. It's like the game checks for Paralysis per cast of Forked Lightning rather than individually per hit. It might just be coincidence that everything getting hit gets stunned at the same time very often, though. Apo might be able to figure it out if he feels up to it. I don't notice bigger mobs getting stunned more often, though.

05/19/2014 06:47 AMPosted by Melkor
Malakai,

I don't know how you do it - but you always come up with the most awesome synergies. I believe Chainpocalypse is rooted in your theory craft as well. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, man. You guys turned that build into a completely different monster, though. I still think that there are ways to incorporate a full time spender along with EB in that build (I've tested it, but without the WoH, and it should work), but whether or not it's actually more dps than +2 MB + Conflag is unknown to me right now. Excellent work from you and the other guys for refining things over the months.

05/19/2014 06:58 AMPosted by BDF
Very nice showcase. I'm already hoarding away lightning items in the event I get a shard of hate.

I've always loved forked lightning.

Thank you, sir. I love FL, too. Always been one of my favs along with Arc Lightning. If they ever buff the proc rate on AL so that LoH returns are better I'll have a build for that, too. Should wind up being pretty sick damage output overall.
05/19/2014 11:56 AMPosted by Metanoia
As a budding lit mage I hope I can ask a few questions here.

1. What is the value of Cain's set items and bonuses here?

For me, Cain's is just a stopgap of sorts until I can get trifecta Taskers, Pox Faulds, and better Firewalkers. It's a good stopgap, though, because IAS works well in the build. Faster casting = more procs (LoH and SoH procs).

2. Is attack speed that huge to a lightning wizards arsenal?

See above.

3. How has MW - Electrify been as opposed to MW - Force Weapon?

I've tried both extensively. FW is obviously much better for single targets, but Electrify seems to do a bit better for groups, especially when they're packed together in range of Electrify bounces. I prefer Electrify because it's Lightning and I'm a sucker for theme builds, and there are a lot more instances of mobs as opposed to single targets. In groups I go with FW, though, since groups of mobs die so dang fast with others around.

4. I've always felt that arcane power is a waste or is wasted. There are no valid passive-style sinks for this is there?

Not really, no. None of the Lightning spenders are very good, especially when you're sporting SoH and want to get the most out of it. You can slot in Lightning Bind or Static Pulse instead of Canonneer, though, if you want to.

5. Do we have a strong use for area damage? Is it worth stacking or is using what is built into paragon good enough?

Area Damage can be really good for the build provided you're not stunning everything outside of its range. This is where Black Hole can really shine in the build. Unfortunately for me I can't find a place for it because I can't ween myself off of Teleport to save my life. That, and since BH tends to be useless on single targets and rift guardians, I always feel like it's being wasted a lot of the time. Plus in groups I always run with a Monk and/or other Wizards who are able to more easily fit BH into their builds, so it's not a huge deal for me.

btw the video is awesome! the SoH was just added to my want list behind the Camaral.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.
Paralysis help info does stat 15% to stun all enemies hit by lightning spells, so Im guessing it does check per cast and not each individual hit.
05/19/2014 01:57 PMPosted by Zzat

I had high hopes for this build, since I've got a gear set in progress for it, but my fire build is still several times faster. Damn. I'd absolutely love to switch to a lightning build too...

It's not too bad honestly, especially considering I still don't have all the gear pieces to REALLY make it shine (Taskers, Pox Faulds, Firewalkers). As I mention in the OP, Fire and Arcane builds definitely still have the edge. But if you slot in Archon and use Vyrs the Lightning build it closes the gap a little more. I just really don't like Archon, and I feel the current changes were a pretty lazy way for the developers to bring viability to cold and lightning at the high end. I would have MUCH preferred buffs to spenders and/or some channeled spells changed to Lightning so that each build would have their own identity. Perhaps we'll see some better solutions in patch 2.1.
Wish I had Velvet Cam, everytime a Wizard Hat drops, I hope for the best.

Been running a lightning build to great effect lately with Lightning Bind as a spender. Amazing control of packs. Seems like a viable #2 Lightning Build until you get a Velvet Cam.
05/19/2014 02:16 PMPosted by Malakai
05/19/2014 01:57 PMPosted by Zzat

It's not too bad honestly, especially considering I still don't have all the gear pieces to REALLY make it shine (Taskers, Pox Faulds, Firewalkers). As I mention in the OP, Fire and Arcane builds definitely still have the edge. But if you slot in Archon and use Vyrs the Lightning build it closes the gap a little more. I just really don't like Archon, and I feel the current changes were a pretty lazy way for the developers to bring viability to cold and lightning at the high end. I would have MUCH preferred buffs to spenders and/or some channeled spells changed to Lightning so that each build would have their own identity. Perhaps we'll see some better solutions in patch 2.1.

Indeed. I don't like archon either. I absolutely love the illusionist + teleport with audacity play style and can't see myself playing any other way.

I have a pair of pox faulds - do you think they would be worth dropping a 2-set bonus on boots/pants? Given that poison doesn't get increased by our +element damage. I suppose I could try them and see for myself.
This is working surprisingly well for me in T4 group. I actually feel like I'm contributing with forked lightning.

And as others have said, lightning archon w/soh is just silly good.

Now, just need to find that pesky camaral.
I've been thinking about trying a lightning build. I don't have a Velvet Camaral, but I do have a pretty nice Storm Crow. So I attempted some theory crafting to see how it would compare.

Lightning bonus:
Thundergod's - 15%
Bracers - 20%
Odyn Son - 10%
Amulet - 20%
SoJ - 20%
= 85%
Storm Crow - 20% = .2 / 1.85 = 10.8% improvement in DPS.
The fiery ball is ~450% weapon damage, which won't be buffed by skill/element, with a 4-second cooldown, so won't really contribute much to final output.

Electrocute jumps are 30% loss each, so here's what damage looks like per jump:
Hit # : Damage
1 : 100%
2 : 70%
3 : 49% <-- This extra hit is what Myken's alone gives you with 2 targets.
4 : 34.30%
5 : 24.01%

So 2 extra hits gives 58.4% more damage, just from the main electrocute hits. This doesn't even take into account for the extra forked lightning jumps, which is substantial.

Looking at Chain Lightning, here's what more hits look like (assuming CL = 10 total hits, not 10 jumps, which may or may not be correct):
6: 16.81%
7: 11.76%
8: 8.24%
9: 5.76%
10: 4.04% <-- Chain Lightning without VC = SUM(6:11) = 46.61% more damage than basic electrocute.
11: 2.82%
12: 1.98%
13: 1.38%
14: 0.97%
15: 0.68%
16: 0.47%
17: 0.33%
18: 0.23%
19: 0.16%
20: 0.11% <-- CL with VC = SUM(11:20) = 9% more damage.

So for Forked Lightning, VC will knock the crap out of Storm Crow. But for CL, Storm Crow probably wins. I'd expect Storm Crow to win for WoF, Archon, and Lightning bind, too. But of those, only Archon is probably worth talking about in comparison to the output of Forked Lightning.
@grippgoat. What about a good Andy? Wouldn't that win since it comes with IAS.
05/19/2014 06:55 PMPosted by Recon
@grippgoat. What about a good Andy? Wouldn't that win since it comes with IAS.

I didn't think of that, because I don't have one. :) Andy also has it's proc for extra DPS when you're in melee range. I'm not sure which proc would be more effective, though. Andy's is less damage, and shorter range, but it's got no ICD and is just 1:1 with your skills. So like SoH, it should proc like crazy with Shock Pulse.

I was thinking a side benefit of Storm Crow would be for proc'ing the Fire Tal's meteor. I can't test that since I only have 3 tal's pieces, one of which is the helm. But the 4-second ICD might cause you do lose 3.999 seconds between fire meteors sometimes.

If you wanted to do lightning with Tal's, you'd want to use the chest for IAS, and because there's no clear lightning item to compete with. Amulet would be the next least conflicting. Source is definitely out, because Myken's.... Helm is definitely out if you have VC. If you don't have VC, you'd have to choose between helm and belt, losing either Storm Crow / Andy's, or Thundergod's. Thundergod's proc has no ICD and scales with lightning%, so on paper it looks pretty good. But it requires you to get hit, which isn't a great fit for higher torment. Bleh,

Basically the conclusion I'm coming to is that I don't have the pieces for a lightning build that can compete with my current Disintegrate + Tal's setup.

Has anyone tested the Fulmintor with a setup like this? Being a sword, it's got decent base attack speed, and it rolls with IAS. I'm sure it doesn't compare to SoH, but might be better than Odyn Son.
^ Fulminator could compare if its proc weren't currently bugged to do 1/6 of it's intended damage...
I got a decent fulminator. Honestly, I can never tell if it has procced or not. I think it is bugged at the moment.
Nice work, I have a Lightning build wizard on my LadyOracle toon, invested hundreds of millions of gold enchanting and stuffs but sadly, Fire build is still better in my opinion. However, I must admit I had lots of fun with Lightning build since ROS launched.
Not bad video Malakai.

I have been playing around with Forked Lightning for like a 3-4 weeks now. I called it Light Show.

Two things about Forked Lightning build. Since, if you have enough gear it will blind your eyes with all the charge bolt covering the entire screen.

1. Forked Lightning is a half damage dealing version of Crusader Blessed Shield.
2. You are heavily require Crit Chance, Attact Speed, and other damage proc gear. I recommend Tal Rasha. But mainly Crit Chance to proc Forked Lightning.
3. You could make this a super crowd control.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/electrocute
Forked Lightning -
Critical Hits release 4 charged bolts in random directions, dealing 44% weapon damage as Lightning to any enemies hit.

Note: Every one plays differently. What I pick for my Light Show build and gear I recommend having.

Gear:
Required:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/velvet-camaral
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/mykens-ball-of-hate

Recommend:
Tal Rasha's(3pcs, Chest, Belt, Neck), Cain's Set(2pcs, Hands, Pants), Aughid's Power(2pcs, Shoulder, Bracer), with Ring of Royal Grandeur, and Boots of Disregard.

Stats:
Crit Chance(50%+), Attack Speed(50%+), Crit Damage(400%+)
Also, remember to stack Electrocute Damage and Lightning damage.

Weapon of choice:
Shard of Hate, ThunderFury, Azurewrath(for crowd control)

Crowd Control(DPS will drop):
Passive Paralysis,
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/passive/paralysis
Azurewrath - Freeze on Hit(yes it works for FL.):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/azurewrath
WyrdWard with Paralysis(passive):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wyrdward
Cord of the Sherma - AoE blind. Tho, you will lose Tal Rasha bonus.:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/cord-of-the-sherma

Skills with Tal Rasha Set:
For DPS:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcjOSm!RSVi!ZccZZc

Playing it safe:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcjOSm!RSVZ!Zccccc

If you have the old Hellfire lvl60 ring. The one that shoot fireball.
If you dont have Hellfire lvl 60 ring. Change the Familiar to Sparkflint.
I picked Archon for rift boss. Forked Lightning it self for single target is just too weak.

The Good:
- Can Kill trash mobs in group very very fast.
- Could lose dps for crowd control.
- Does more damage than Chain Lightning.
- Just hold down Forked Lightning.

The bad:
- Forked Lightning alone does very little damage on single target
- Could kill your self in 2 sec when fighting elite with reflect damage.(if you are that geared. Might help to use Diamond Skin. shrug)
- Turn down the brightness on your monitor. You might want to wear sun glasses.
Thanks for the time you took out Malakai for posting and creating a youtube vid on how to go about using a lightning wizard. Unfortunately some of us still cant get our hands on a SOJ or velvet (a SOH is now on my wish list to ) so will have build around survivability until then no matter how painful it is that it takes a good 20 mins to do T5. Although I do have the gear to possibly change to fire or archane I am persistent in keeping a lightning wizard. LONG LIVE THE LIGHTNING WIZARD!!

PS: I feel like the only person on the planet that cant get a SOJ and have a crappy TF.
Great video man, I've used the pox faulds and ended up scrapping them I think and I had a really good roll on them. They just don't really do enough damage. HOWEVER, that just made me think about SoH, and now I'm pissed I scrapped them, the poison would have worked for that extra proc... Still it has a cooldown on it, and for whatever reason it didn't proc as much as I thought it would.
I have decided to try the build out tonight (in T1/T2) without SoH since it is the only thing I am missing. Since I will not be using a SoH, but instead an Odyn Son, is the unruned shock pulse still best for elite packs (which is mainly to proc SoH)? Or is there another option you suggest?
Very nice! Not sure if this was asked already but:

Once you get the gear upgrades you're looking for, would replacing the unity with something like Wyrdward be interesting? Or is unity something that will remain?

The reason I ask is that Kanji and myself did some testing on the proc rates of the wyrdward and I think that this kind of build could really benefit from it. Perma stun is quite nice after all :)