Explain to me why Unity ring is good

General Discussion
Unity seems to have a lower drop chance compared to other legendary rings so having other people you play with wear one seems unlikely. If it happens other people are wearing unity, won't the damage even out anyway? Yes you split the damage but if everyone still takes their normal share of the damage, you'll still get hurt the same. One could argue if you're better at dodging attacks than the other people you play with, you'll take more damage than usual if the other player likes to face tank and play more risky.

Also, this ring can't possibly be any good for a DH. Can someone give me good examples of how this ring is good? Wouldn't you rather be wearing SoJ and RoRG?
If ur playing solo with ur follower who wears one or if u have asheras and all ur followers have one then u get extra damage reduction.
Put a unity on yourself. Put one on your merc. Put the relic on your merc that makes them immortal.

You now take 50% less damage.

Source: Look at my DH. Finally got my second Unity today thanks to this crazy buff to drops. 8 legends in my last T5 rift wow such loot
doesnt this combo greatly with the legendary follower item that gives invulnerability?
So basically the Unity ring only shines for solo play?
It's good if you need a quick Forgotten Soul for transmogging.
05/15/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Daniel

Yeah it sucks for teamplay imo it can kill you if someone else has one especially if he is a melee and is standing in aoe.
Asheras set calls all ur followers to ur side even if ur in a party
05/15/2014 03:42 PMPosted by mooomooo

But wouldn't someone else wearing one in the party screw up the follower/unity exploit?
05/15/2014 03:39 PMPosted by Darkstar
Put a unity on yourself. Put one on your merc. Put the relic on your merc that makes them immortal.

Source: Look at my DH. Finally got my second Unity today thanks to this crazy buff to drops. 8 legends in my last T5 rift wow such loot

All the relic says is your follow doesn't die but don't they still take damage?
Yes, this ring is mostly for solo play. But you have to understand just how good it is for effeciency. Taking 50% less damage allows most people to jump up 2-3 torment levels with relative ease. It helps "geared" players do T6 without ridiculous repair bills. My Crusader is really well geared (6pc Akkhans, Gyrs/Jekangbord+6, Aughilds, SoJ, RoRG) and I can only do T6 with the Unity setup when I'm solo.

I just don't enjoy stacking 30 million toughness at the cost of half my damage so I can facetank the crap out of T6. This allows me to play very offensively.
05/15/2014 03:44 PMPosted by TEHvomit
05/15/2014 03:42 PMPosted by mooomooo

But wouldn't someone else wearing one in the party screw up the follower/unity exploit?

its not an exploit!
It def hurts more when a party member wears it as aposed to just ur ashera followers but it's still more reduction than without it. I usually politely ask the party members to take unity off haha
05/15/2014 03:45 PMPosted by Daniel
05/15/2014 03:39 PMPosted by Darkstar

All the relic says is your follow doesn't die but don't they still take damage?

That is the point exactly, since they don't go down they can continue soaking up 50% of your damage.

In group play they can be good if others are using them because it spreads the damage out across everyone wearing the ring. This vastly increases the power of everyone's healing abilities. For instance if you are a wiz or DH that isn't normally taking damage but have healing stats those stats are wasted and benefit no one. If you have Unity and your friends do also then you can take some of the tanks damage and negate it through your healing. You also benefit in that if you end up trapped with CC or something and can't escape you will take a lot less damage because it is shared out among the other players.
So if you had Asheara's, a Unity, and all three followers equipped with a Unity, would you basically be taking 25% damage while they're all out?
@moon it is my understanding that in that scenario u would be getting 25% damage reduction
You wouldn't get 25% reduction, because the ring along (when combined with your follower) is giving you a 50% reduction already.
05/15/2014 04:11 PMPosted by mooomooo
@moon it is my understanding that in that scenario u would be getting 25% damage reduction

I believe it's 75% reduction
05/15/2014 03:42 PMPosted by IPconfig
05/15/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Daniel

Yeah it sucks for teamplay imo it can kill you if someone else has one especially if he is a melee and is standing in aoe.

oh my f.... god .. you just answer one of my biggest question. ..... now I know y sometimes I get so hard damage s from monster and sometimes was alright. ..... this is bull..... really... this is unfair.... blues please fix this please.......
05/15/2014 03:39 PMPosted by Themisto
doesnt this combo greatly with the legendary follower item that gives invulnerability?

05/15/2014 04:16 PMPosted by Daniel
05/15/2014 04:11 PMPosted by mooomooo

I believe it's 75% reduction

If they're in town, they're not "following" you. So it's 25%.