Winter Flurry

Wizard
I have one sitting in my stash. Anyone have a good build they use with it?
Its an item that hasn't been explored too much. Try something out and report with the results!
05/20/2014 11:49 AMPosted by kasper301615
I had it for awhile was using w/ FO and Blizzard but didn't feel it was powerful enough with it being as rare as it is....

I did and felt the same. The +1 mirrorball felt much better
05/20/2014 11:47 AMPosted by BDF
Its an item that hasn't been explored too much. Try something out and report with the results!

I will do that. I have a couple ideas in mind.
Might have been using back when FO was decent, but now it's pretty much just trash. The only decent cold builds rely on a specialty source (Light of Grace or Mirroball) and they still aren't that good. Looks pretty neat though.
I have 1, using on my Cold wizard SuperSaiyanX now. Ray of Frost build will be good.
I'm using one on my cold wiz, but honestly it is pretty lackluster compared to a Mirrorball with 2 missiles.
My first legendary source Winter Flurry, don't even remeber what I rerolled. It was missing CHC but it still has %Life and Vit on it so I have no idea what I was thinking...

Anyway, what are our spender options for this thing.

- Glacial Spike is out since that's more mirrorball
- RoF is out since you would be using LoG instead....but maybe sleet storm rune would be interesting?
- Meteor/Comet...chance to freeze, not really interesting
- Energy Twister/Mistral...I'll stop right there
- Arcane Orb/Frozen Orb the obvious choice but falls short due to nerfs and !@#$ty AP:Damage ratio
- Blizzard...perhaps something interesting can be done here?

just brainstorming
Blizzard damage is absolutely useless. Maybe someday they'll fix that. As is, you've pretty much followed the same line of logic. Forb would be the only reason to use it, but it's just not strong enough anymore to make a build out of.

Actually though, we are both forgetting one. Cold Archon. Frostburns aren't QUITE as good as magefists, but with the double freeze chance there might be a decent reason to use it.
Stacked CDR cold archon?
This was my very first legendary source when I started playing D3 just last month. I used it with serpent sparker. For mobs, it was extremely useful! It's the very reason I stuck with a cold wizard even if it is a struggle up to now for me.

Cast your blizzard or blackhole, cast 2 frost hydras and you get 1-3 novas in a mob while your hydras kill random enemies as you continue to cast RoF, and spam blizzard. Helps in controlling elites swarmed with those low level monsters.

TLDR; Serpent Sparker (for two frost hydras) + RoF + Blizzard/Blackhole with winter flurry = potent mob control machine you get 1-3 novas mine had 19% chance for nova
If they changed it so the FN chance was on hit instead of on kill, this source would likely be a lot better than just a glorified white mob crowd control item.
I started messing around with it tonight. I have Azurewrath which has the freeze on it.
Frost Nova Shatter
Blizzard Frozen Solid
Shock Pulse Explosive bolts
Meteor Comet

Basically try to freeze as many things as possible. I was using it in T3. With my gear I don't see it being very viable past that. If I had 1 more Tal's to give me the extra meteor and frostburns to give extra freeze it would be a bit better.

I guess the question is if its worth the % chance to cast frost nova. I don't know if I see it.
05/20/2014 08:39 PMPosted by TattleBag
If they changed it so the FN chance was on hit instead of on kill, this source would likely be a lot better than just a glorified white mob crowd control item.

this
05/20/2014 08:39 PMPosted by TattleBag

id gladly switch back to winter flurry and stash my LoG momentarily if this was the case.
Might be nice for ice blades but I find it hard to use that instead of the thrown blades rune doing 63% more dmg. They should buff all the spectral blades to that damage.
05/20/2014 07:54 PMPosted by AeolousSenju

TLDR; Serpent Sparker (for two frost hydras) + RoF + Blizzard/Blackhole with winter flurry = potent mob control machine you get 1-3 novas mine had 19% chance for nova

You are forgetting The Magistrate :)
I also have one, but it is really bad compared to Mirrorball +2. With Flurry my FO does like 21-23mln crit dmg, but then I need to use electrocute+prodigy for AP regen. WIth MB+2 I can switch to Magic Missile Glacial Spike + Cold Blood which does 3x5-6mln crit dmg (max 18mln total) and I can drop prodigy since I have APOC on MB.

So electrocute+fo+winter flurry (2-3mln crit + 21-23mln crit) <<<<<<<< mm+fo+mirrorball (3x5-6mln + 16-18mln crit). Easy math :D

Ow, Glacial Spike freeze enemies on impact... which helps... a lot :)