Cold Wizard, theorycrafting not my strongest

Wizard
Crossing the big pont as the forum here seems to get more traffic then the European counterpart and it seems the best Wizards are here. I'll try not to post a WOT.

Been playing a Frozen Orb build since RoS, but I'm starting to get a little bit tired of it as I feel like I'm stuck and see now way to get past T4 which is where I'm right now. My profile ( http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sardaukar-2915/hero/8822759 ) probably won't do this justice atm as I've been trying stuff out. The Blizzard skill should be Archon (I've got 2 more Vyr's stuff, but atm it's replaced by Tal Rasha and one extra piece of Aughild).

First of all, I'm still looking for 2 items (Strong Arm Bracers and Frostburn Gauntlets) I think would enhance my FO build a lot. Perhaps an Andariel with Cold instead of the Tal Rasha I have now would also be an improvement, but getting gear is purely a grind question. A better Azurewrath I wouldn't say no to either (or is a Shard of Hate better)?

What I'm wondering is if FO is a really viable build for T5-6 seeing FO is such an Arcane Power hungry skill (also considering APOC is pretty much shot nowadays)? Also afaik, FO does the most damage when the explosion is dead center on the target, but almost every monster wants to get in melee range which makes the orbs explode behind them (they will still do damage, but not their optimal damage). You can to some degree prevent this with the black hole, but seeing it has limited range, is on cooldown often and won't work on some monster, you will be on eye level quite often.

So beside the obvious missing gear is there anyway to improve my FO wizard or should I go for Ray of Frost (since I very recently got my first Light of Grace)?

I should really read around better as I also noticed that the Cold Blooded passive atm is broken and sort of next to useless with my current build so I suppose for the moment I should replace that with something else as well.

TL:DR

For going past T4 with a Cold build: Is it possible for Frozen Orb or should I go for Ray of Frost which, to me, seems stronger.
Here are a few things to consider.

1. Frostburn Gauntlets are pretty much prohibitively rare. Similar drop rates to Wand of Woh I would not hold my breath for a pair. They are a great bonus, if you get really lucky and they drop.

2. While Cold might be viable in t5 or t6, I don't see any way that it is as good as Mirrorball Conflag builds, or Wand of Woah builds. If you are comfortable with this, you might be alright in t5 or t6.

3. Switch to your Light of Grace and use Ray of Frost. Frozen Orb (Or any Arcane Orb rune, for that matter) does not cut it. It is less damage per second, and more Arcane Power per second than any other Secondary Skill. Its a huge bummer, because its such a cool skill, (Ha! Get it? Ok, sorry) Hopefully they'll buff it to usable levels soon. Note though, that against single targets, Ray of Frost simply is not as damaging a Disintegrate: Chaos Nexus.
ya ive been trying and trying to make cold work, and to be quite honest it really doesnt... im just really glad i keep finding fire gear because if I didn't the switch would be VERY painful....

so sad that cold isn't making it easy...

winter flurry.... nooooooo luck
frostburns...... noooooo luck
azurewrath with intellect NO LUCK

key items and no luck
keep gambling
I went all Cold last night. Working pretty well. Sheet damage seems low, but things die pretty quick. Haven't tested high torment yet. Comments on how to improve my build? TIA.
Cold is completely viable T5 and with enough P levels should be viable T6. I solo T5 easy and my P levels are only in low 300s.
05/21/2014 09:07 AMPosted by Vaizard
ya ive been trying and trying to make cold work, and to be quite honest it really doesnt... im just really glad i keep finding fire gear because if I didn't the switch would be VERY painful....

What Vaizard is really trying to say is that he has had better luck with fire in his personal situation.

-

Aside from that, Frozen Orb is pretty rough on your EDPS. It went from like top of the list to the bottom after the nerf.

Looking at your current set up it is really hard to tell which direction you are going. You look like a hybrid of every build out there. I would focus in on something and based on your current gear you cant because you are missing some key items.

You have some really good cold gear but you need Light of Grace to go Ray of Frost. If you can do that it would be really nice to compliment it with a 4th Tal's piece and incorporate the other elements for the meteor proc. (this is just touching on the surface of that process).

If you wanted to ditch cold and go fire, the mirror ball would really shine with the conflag. rune. It would also go with a wand of woh build. The cooldown reduction would also go good with a archon hybrid if you can find 2 more prices for the Vyrs set. If you found the Vyr's you could also keep the cold and go hybrid cold archon.

Lots of options right now to take your build from average to great. Keep farming, keep finding gear. Save your items and leave your options open for testing.
@OldSchool Can you make any suggestions on improvement for my build? See profile.
05/21/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Walcwlr
@OldSchool Can you make any suggestions on improvement for my build? See profile.

Sure, 1st thing I noticed is that you are using an archon generator with ray of frost. In almost all cases if you are going to do this, I would take arcane dynamo. That 60% damage buff is HUGE and that is applied to your entire channel! That may make it difficult to cast meteor because it would be breaking your buffed channel. I would consider another skill here.

I am also not a fan of glass cannon because there are usually better options out there.

As you find more gear you will find that more options will start to open up for you. Nice Azurewrath & Forstburn. You are probably freezing like crazy! :)

You also have way too much movement speed on your gear. A lot of that can be made up in paragon points to save primary stat slots. I believe the cap is at 25%.
Would be nice to have a legendary that makes FO viable imo.
This guy does it:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zumbala-1691/hero/18393638

The trick of the game here is keeping pride´s fall up using dominance + deflection. For the last part, TF is a must (trust me).

T5 is a breeze and T6 very easy.

EDIT: Note that he does not use any APoC at all, just RCR.
FO is terrible. Only viable cold build if probably RoF with LoG. Maybe mirrobal with Glacial Spike. But deifnitely not FO
05/21/2014 12:00 PMPosted by Guerra
This guy does it:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zumbala-1691/hero/18393638

The trick of the game here is keeping pride´s fall up using dominance + deflection. For the last part, TF is a must (trust me).

T5 is a breeze and T6 very easy.

EDIT: Note that he does not use any APoC at all, just RCR.

Yeah that's a pretty sweet concept. If I had a Prides Fall I would try it.

05/21/2014 12:03 PMPosted by myDingling
FO is terrible. Only viable cold build if probably RoF with LoG. Maybe mirrobal with Glacial Spike. But deifnitely not FO

I think what he is really trying to say is that he doesn't have a Prides Fall. lol
I'm thinking the best cold damage build would involve frost hydra with magistrate+SS+T&T, and mirror ball glacial spike. then you can add in frozen orb or blizzard or black hole or whatever.
The cold gear seems prohibitive thus far compared to fire for sure, but I just like using cold spells. I'm a WD main, I just need to re-level a couple (HC player, just lost my 2nd WD/my main a couple days ago) which is why my wizzy gear is a little lacking.

I got my frostburns gambling 10k+ for a Tasker and Theo gloves and I have found about 4-6 range Azurewraths and none have rolled to where I can have INT + socket yet unfortunately. The Winterflurry dropped for me but the rolls are beyond terrible, and I currently NEED to have vit on my OH with the gear I'm wearing.

Enough precursor, I'm running the following build right now (only in T2 atm with it though):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GolfWang-1600/hero/42686091

It isn't the most effective thing ever when it comes to killing elites but the build destroys white mobs en mass which is useful for bounties I suppose. The build is based around the Hexing Pants, essentially you pop 2 Hydras then run around in circles spamming Blizzard and Black Hole. My sheet DPS is over 1.3m while running, so that plus whatever my cold % is is my EDPS when running in circles.

I find it fun to play so far, but I can't imagine it being very good on T4 and higher even as I get better gear. :/
The cold gear seems prohibitive thus far compared to fire for sure, but I just like using cold spells. I'm a WD main, I just need to re-level a couple (HC player, just lost my 2nd WD/my main a couple days ago) which is why my wizzy gear is a little lacking.

Yeah.. cold is very hard to get, but I think that it may be top of the line... just imagine an Archon Build (lost of CDR) + Azure + Frostburns= Mr. Freeze! Maybe use sleet storm as a spender on Archon downtime..