Took 6 pages or 102 posts

General Discussion
05/22/2014 01:09 AMPosted by Scynfewl
I would push that percentage down even lower.

As was once famously said, decisions are made by those who show up.

I think there's no doubt that these forums represent only a tiny sliver of the wider playerbase. That said, since the opinions of the wider playerbase cannot be known - and anyone claiming otherwise is just kidding themselves - ultimately, I believe, the opinions of the wider playerbase don't matter either.

Minority or not, Blizzard should, and in this case did, listen to the clearly expressed and obviously majority position of the forums.
05/22/2014 01:15 AMPosted by Phoeniks
ultimately, I believe, the opinions of the wider playerbase don't matter either.

Listening to a vocal minority with delusions of grandeur is always good business.
05/21/2014 08:28 PMPosted by Sephiroth
All I'm worried about it BoA. Idc what Blizzard wants to do to this game. They can do w.e they want...just remove BoA. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.

BoA is fine, we don't want bots tyvm
05/21/2014 08:27 PMPosted by Yura
I really don't understand how people can be against this.

It's good all around. The hardcore (timewise) players can work on "perfecting" their characters, while others who don't have the time can still find decent loot at a decent pace.

What really is there to complain about? Hell, I'm more of the hardcore player type. Not necessarily ten hour days, but I put in about 30 hours a week and I have no complaints regarding this change.

I guarantee you in the future when Blizzard allows you to do more things with your forgotten souls, the complainers will be looking back thinking how stupid it was to complain about this.

pretty much. i dont need much gear now but with the amount of souls im going to to be getting, i will try to roll some of my gear to perfection where i mightve just settled for a loss of 50 stats before
05/22/2014 01:20 AMPosted by Kranki
05/22/2014 01:15 AMPosted by Phoeniks
ultimately, I believe, the opinions of the wider playerbase don't matter either.

Listening to a vocal minority with delusions of grandeur is always good business.

Who else can Blizzard listen to?

The great silent majority is, after all, silent. Outside of the irregular surveys Blizzard sends out how are they supposed to know what that majority wants.

I don't say that the wider playerbase's opinions don't count because ours are so much more important (they're not), but because are so much more present.
Well said OP, I am one that is loving the change, gives me a chance to play different specs, but a post like this will attract the trolls.

trolls have no life and whinge about anything and everything, even their own family they whinge about.
+1 for making this Thread OP. Those kids flaming all forums now are a tiny minority but like to make it seem as if they were a significant part of us. Truth is they are merly a handfull of douches who's achievements in live are simply a buch of saves & pixels.

I will reply this change with making a new toon - so an aditional amount x of my playtime is guaranteed to go to blizz. Good job :)

I apologize for the abominations we create within our own comunity.

-> http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/017/casual.jpg
Those ppl that dislike the buff staying are retarded. improved drop rate does not mean you are going to get all your BiS gear in few rift runs.
It's not about being a casual gamer or not. The buff is not going to change the game at all. It's only going to help the average gamer to find upgrades for about 2-3 weeks. And once players realize that the game is still the same now that they completed their precious class set, they will get bored and they will start complaining again.

I'm not against the buff, but I don't think it's going to make the game any better really.
05/21/2014 08:24 PMPosted by TheDoctor
The community spoke, I guess to some of these "elite players" they are surrounded by nothing but a bunch of casuals, in a game with no economy, no competition, and everything is pretty much BoA...

Well let me be the first to say, since you "self proclaimed elites love to say it" If you do not like the new legendary drop rate, you can always quit.

What exactly did you accomplish by making this post anyway? Is this a "Hah! We beat you now stop acting all high and mighty." post? Big deal. There will always be differing views on how the game should be played, and a community that voices the things they want to see in the games they play is better than a community that voices nothing at all.

Just because you were "burned" by an "elite player" who has a different view on what Diablo is about doesn't mean you need to go out of your way to prove that they were wrong to speak up. I'd love to hear differing viewpoints on the game, but your post goes more into a grey area instead of just showing your satisfaction with the changes.

I'm happy to hear you are satisfied with the buff, I feel the same way! Unlike ever before, I actually have the feeling that the next legendary is LITERALLY right around the corner... and that's a good feeling. Given all of the factors, I worried (and still worry) that the longevity of the game has been sacrificed for instant gratification however. The current power ranges and stat variety is balanced around a significantly smaller number of total drops. I love the way the drop rates feel currently, but without other changes in itemization, the gearing process will become too short and simple for my tastes and I fear I may grow tired of it in a month's time. For the average gamer, this might take 6-12+ months of game time, and that's fine! There's nothing wrong with taking that long; however I get a lot of enjoyment out of putting my all into games like this.

In short, buffing the rates helped solve one issue, but may have worsened another without further changes.
+1

Rage against the elitist scum.
problem is finding complete sets in a few days do you think that's smart?
Even if many don't visit or even post on the boards, those that do still interact with those individuals, having conversations and possibly building friendships along the way. Ideally, like-minded players will wind up coming together forming their own little communities, but at the same time, not everyone plays in search of some giant social sprawl. They just wanna kill !@#$.

That said, it's a bit tiring to see some people wanting to treat this game like an MMO in terms of longevity and other grindy mechanics. Fish around enough for nuggets of dev insight relative to their respective games and you'll find that only 10-15% of players tend to beat the current top-tier content. From the perspective of a creator, I would find that number depressing, at it means 85-90% of your players aren't seeing the entirety of the game you worked on.

D3's a bit different in this respect that all areas can be visited at whatever difficulty, but instead the "unique content" is shifted more toward the gear you find along the way. It's possible you'll never find the gear to make the build you really want to play, or at least at a meaningful difficulty. I'd argue some of this is a skill/balance issue, too, but the overall sentiment of something existing in a game, but nobody ever sees it, still fits. The concept of prestige that some demand remain intact is something I and others certainly feel toxic to gaming. You'll see words like "entitlement" spun in negative context with the concept of shades of grey in between extremes being a non-option.

That said, when I first head the news about the buff permanency, I also checked to see how long it would take until there'd be a negative comment. I'm honestly surprised it took 6 pages, but not surprised it happened at all. There's a whole lot of lightening up that needs to go on in internet gaming these days, because holy %^-*, worry of what someone you'll never play with and wanting to hold them back is far too common an occurrence.
05/22/2014 05:00 PMPosted by Saidosha
That said, it's a bit tiring to see some people wanting to treat this game like an MMO in terms of longevity and other grindy mechanics. Fish around enough for nuggets of dev insight relative to their respective games and you'll find that only 10-15% of players tend to beat the current top-tier content. From the perspective of a creator, I would find that number depressing, at it means 85-90% of your players aren't seeing the entirety of the game you worked on.

First I want to point out that you make a lot of good points in your post. This specific section I want to comment on though. Longevity and exclusivity are two entirely different concepts. A game can have longevity even after top tier content is completed -- in the case of WoW this might exist in the form of gearing, achievements, and alternate characters. In Diablo one could view longevity as stat/build variety, power variety, and a lengthy (potentially impossible) gearing process.

It's important to remember that Diablo is about the process, not the result. Gearing should be fun and engaging at every level of gear, from fresh blood to fine-tuned veteran characters. The gearing should be designed in such a way that nobody ever actually "makes it there". Everyone is at some place in the process, and the casual player should enjoy hunting for those upgrades just as much as the avid farmer.

High end players aren't asking to add a level of exclusivity to the game so that only they can reap rewards that nobody else has access to. It's actually quite the opposite -- they're (I am) asking for the game to be designed in such a way that farming more hours doesn't mean the game ends sooner. I want to be able to enjoy Diablo for the forseeable future, and that has nothing to do with exclusivity.
Keeping the buff is no brainer really. It's good Blizzard listen though.
05/21/2014 08:24 PMPosted by TheDoctor
people who claim they are some sort of elites

Elites do not run their mouth at the drop of a hat, they demonstrate their prowess through their ability and their knowledge.

Elitist think the world revolves around their ego and if you dare to encroach upon their success you have sinned in their eyes and are thusly damned for all eternity.

(This buff was needed, and we're allllll better off because of it)
The complainers aren't looking at the big picture.

With 6 classes to gear and ladders coming there's no reason it should take 1000 hours to gear a char. One could argue the gear curve is still pretty high (if you truly want BiS gear) however it's certainly much better now. I definitely feel more incentive to play now.
05/22/2014 01:20 AMPosted by Nippa
05/21/2014 08:28 PMPosted by Sephiroth
All I'm worried about it BoA. Idc what Blizzard wants to do to this game. They can do w.e they want...just remove BoA. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.

and yet over half of d3 run bots
it does not matter if you believe it or not
The only concern i have about this is that again, yes again, blizzard screwed us.

1) It's unfair for people who played alot before that boost, since now people with lower paragon will be better geared.
2) It make me sick i played way too much during the anniversary because of the buff, and now that's it's perma i just realize i've been fooled.
05/22/2014 01:20 AMPosted by Nippa
Hate to say it, but there are still bots running each and every day. Do not try and kid yourself if there are none.