Grinding rifts is getting boring. Easy way to fix this:

General Discussion
After grinding countless rifts, i'm getting kind of tired of the same old thing. The randomness is nice but after you do anything long enough, random as it may be, you still sense the pattern.

Some easily implemented ideas to make Rifts more interesting:

1. Cursed chests/shrines in them that offer completion percent to your meter if you complete the event. Pretty straight forward, this would add a nice mix to the normal hustle and bustle of just killing whites and packs.

2. Random events that offer completion percent. These could be any event from the game Imagine going into a whimseyshire rift and seeing the Fields of Misery quest to clear this man's farm of plagued bat nests. Or seeing the portal from act 2 that is a collapsing vault with a loot room at the end, right in the middle of a rift!

3. Make the bosses harder and/or more unique. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I have almost NO problem killing a rift boss. Hitting 2/3 elite packs at once is 10x more difficult than any rift boss and this feels weak. I want this boss to have an AoE fire that deals auto 50% of your max health, but is dodgeable. I want fire grates to spawn on the floor and almost one shot me if i don't move. Even the hardest rift boss in the game feels weaker than a Frozen, Jailer, Vortex, Arcane pack... (just a random example).

4. Add more extremely rare, but amazing events. We've all either experienced very few times (or heard other people experiencing) the famed PACK of treasure goblins. This is a truly amazing phenomenon and there needs to be more things like this in the game. Imagine entering a rift and it notifies you that this is a timed rift and if you clear it within 10 minutes, you get a guaranteed legendary on the boss. Or imagine when your bar fills up, instead of a boss spawning a portal opens up like created combining keys and you are guaranteed a legendary.

The rift endgame is pretty good, but it gets boring after running it 50+ times as I have lost count.

TLDR: Blizz needs to add some more flare to the rifts to keep them fresh.
Some good ideas, how about if an elite pack spawned with the rift boss as a type of guardians?
05/22/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Zaige
Some good ideas, how about if an elite pack spawned with the rift boss as a type of guardians?

That sounds like it could be a good idea. Maybe instead of a boss it spawns a summoning totem (with a lot of health) and has a 15 second timer and at the end of each timer, it spawns ANOTHER elite pack (with a max of 3 out at once). And if you don't kill the totem, you will get overrun so need to act quickly!
Just create an ultra rare item that lets you change and max any stat you want on any item. That would keep me grinding.
05/22/2014 03:08 PMPosted by UncleSlim
05/22/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Zaige

That sounds like it could be a good idea. Maybe instead of a boss it spawns a summoning totem (with a lot of health) and has a 15 second timer and at the end of each timer, it spawns ANOTHER elite pack (with a max of 3 out at once). And if you don't kill the totem, you will get overrun so need to act quickly!

Terrible idea. People would just let the totem sit and farm elites all day for legendaries, gold, exp, etc

I agree there needs to be more than rift runs and bounty runs, and hopefully tiered rifts is the solution (which I doubt). I hear they're putting a timer for tiered rifts? A very bad idea to put a timer on things.
05/22/2014 03:49 PMPosted by johno86
Terrible idea. People would just let the totem sit and farm elites all day for legendaries, gold, exp, etc

Obviously if it was a boss event, they wouldn't drop loot like elites do, the totem would drop boss loot when it dies...

Don't undermine the creativity of an idea by focusing on mechanics that can easily be tweaked.
The totem thing has a similar ring to the tiered rifts concept, but on a smaller scale.
Making bosses harder is a bad idea....I mean eventually people will start to complain and be nerf down anyways. Anyways, the guardian that looks like the keywarden from act 3 was pretty hard in torment 5. It casts circular white rings on the ground that can kill any toon easily!
I like all your ideas. #3 can be terrifying for me being a HC player, but I welcome the challenge.

For #3, I think it can be better if instead of just plopping down a boss, it opens a portal to a boss room. This could add a whole lot of design space for making cool encounters.

On a related matter, there's another solution to this by making bounties more viable-> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12944314341

Please respond in my thread if you like the idea.
05/22/2014 04:24 PMPosted by North2
I like all your ideas. #3 can be terrifying for me being a HC player, but I welcome the challenge.

A courageous hero you are! :D

I feel like there's just no challenge to this game. You can throttle any sort of challenge but just putting the torment up or down which forces you to choose between a challenge or efficiency. Having both would be good.