Serpent's Sparker build?

Wizard
So recently I found a decent Serpent's Sparker with perfect Intelligence + free socket, and rolled 9% weapon damage to get a decent little toy to tide me over until a real weapon like Wand of Woh or Thunder Fury would grace my Wizard...

But then I got to thinking. What if I got as much APOC as I could, and use the double hydra to build Arcane? Could an entire build-changing item be found in Serpent's Sparker?

So I kept my standard disintegrate build, I stashed my helm in exchange for just any generic Wiz helm with some Apoc and decided to try it out.

Basically it's a standard disintegrate build only I replaced Electrocute with Hydra.

I play her like any disintegrate build, I just count on paragon resource reduction and Arcane on crit coupled with high crit chance to get near-perpetual disintegrate. During boss and elite fights, I lay down both hydras. As the hydras spam while I channel disintegrate, I basically never run out of arcane. Too much apoc, too many crits.

So since I know many others always know about stuff I don't know about, how could I further commit to this "build" and is there way of "doing it better" than I currently am?

Basically the best purpose I can see for the double hydra is their frequent crits to proc APOC and basically don't have to ever stop firing disintegrate / don't have to use a "Primary" skill at all.
Nice. I've been swearing at Kadala for weeks looking for a SS to go with my MM/Conflag build.
I had a SS pre ROS along with http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-magistrate running a cold build which worked surprisingly well. You need the Magistrate to make it work, but if you find one you'll be switching to cold I guarantee it :D
I would consider swapping Glass Cannon for Temporal Flux. The snare will allow you to deal more damage without compromising your mitigation. Glass Cannon stings at higher torments.

My $.02

_____
-Melk
At the end of the day, it's all A Love Story
~OG Wizard from an OG Forum~
~iRap, You probz don't~
https://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyMayez
Check my profile. My wiz can do T6 with my build easily. Not as fast as archon or Woh builds, but not slow either.

The key items in my build are the serpent sparker and my helm, the magistrate. I take frost hydra and blizzard (with the rune that freezes mobs). The point of this build is to keep mobs frozen in place while I blast them down with magic missile/conflag + mirrorball.

I stack fire damage for MM/conflag and the frost skills are there for CC. I have found this build very effective on all types of mobs/elites even Rift guardians.

It usually goes like this:

1) Cast 1 frost hydra on a group of mobs.
2) then immediately cast black hole
3) cast blizzard
4) cast 2nd frost hydra (make sure to at least have 2-3 seconds casting time between hydras)
5) blast with MM/conflag, rinse and repeat.

Mobs will be frozen in place almost all the time.

Let me know what you guys think.
05/26/2014 08:00 PMPosted by Clydibok
3) cast blizzard
4) cast 2nd frost hydra (make sure to at least have 2-3 seconds casting time between hydras)

Involved, but seems effective.

_____
-Melk
~iRap, You probz don't~
3) cast blizzard

I can confirm that cycling the frost hydras like that works quite well. They cast Frost Nova every 5 seconds or so and its the 2 second nova. You can get pretty good coverage if you time it right.
Oh cool, I did not know The Magistrate even existed.
3) cast blizzard

I'll also confirm that this works well even in t5-t6, although I don't use Blizzard.

I know some people prefer Mammoth Hydras with a fire build, but I find that I prefer more CC over (very good) additional dps that requires enemies to stand still.

The staggered Frost Novas give you a lot of room to just stand and unload MM/Conflags, to the point that I can easily use Unwavering Will.
I got both the Magistrate and a 2400 Serpent Sparker.
Never actually tried the build though.
Will do that soon enough! This thread made me curious :)
Also, a note to Elemental Exposure users:
While Frost Hydra attacks DO NOT apply the debuff, the Frost Novas from them DO, judging from the visual indicator.
05/26/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Paz
So recently I found a decent Serpent's Sparker with perfect Intelligence + free socket, and rolled 9% weapon damage to get a decent little toy to tide me over until a real weapon like Wand of Woh or Thunder Fury would grace my Wizard...

But then I got to thinking. What if I got as much APOC as I could, and use the double hydra to build Arcane? Could an entire build-changing item be found in Serpent's Sparker?

So I kept my standard disintegrate build, I stashed my helm in exchange for just any generic Wiz helm with some Apoc and decided to try it out.

Basically it's a standard disintegrate build only I replaced Electrocute with Hydra.

I play her like any disintegrate build, I just count on paragon resource reduction and Arcane on crit coupled with high crit chance to get near-perpetual disintegrate. During boss and elite fights, I lay down both hydras. As the hydras spam while I channel disintegrate, I basically never run out of arcane. Too much apoc, too many crits.

So since I know many others always know about stuff I don't know about, how could I further commit to this "build" and is there way of "doing it better" than I currently am?

Basically the best purpose I can see for the double hydra is their frequent crits to proc APOC and basically don't have to ever stop firing disintegrate / don't have to use a "Primary" skill at all.

Sounds pretty sick!
05/26/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Paz

I thought Hydras had a coefficient of 0 and did not proc any APoC or LoH?
05/26/2014 11:36 PMPosted by Fate
The staggered Frost Novas give you a lot of room to just stand and unload MM/Conflags, to the point that I can easily use Unwavering Will.

That is why I use unwavering will as one of my passives (although I do swap it sometimes with elemental exposure when running a party in T6).
Get Tasker & Theo gloves, and WIN the game.
switch from choas nexus to the last disintegrate rune - it's a 15% buff to your hydra dmg - get entropy passive. Spend every blood shard you got to acquire tasker and theo. Once I get taskers I'll be clearing t6 at jade speeds I think. Right now it's rather sub jade.
Are tasker and theo working properly with Hydras? I thought someone tested them and it's not working.

05/27/2014 04:38 AMPosted by massiveattak
switch from choas nexus to the last disintegrate rune - it's a 15% buff to your hydra dmg - get entropy passive. Spend every blood shard you got to acquire tasker and theo. Once I get taskers I'll be clearing t6 at jade speeds I think. Right now it's rather sub jade.

This would only work with arcane hydras, and what do you mean by entropy passive?
05/26/2014 11:55 PMPosted by Fate
Also, a note to Elemental Exposure users:
While Frost Hydra attacks DO NOT apply the debuff, the Frost Novas from them DO, judging from the visual indicator.

Is this confirmed?
Tasker and Theo's make IAS a DPS increasing stat for your hyrdas, I have found.

Electrocute is also a skill that benefits from higher IAS.

Pairing the two makes sense.

I have been brainstorming and developing a build of my own, inspired by Malakai. It's on my wizard, Varda.

My game play is as follows, if anybody is interested:

Against Elites/high hp mobs
1. Spawn two Lightning Hydras.
2. Black Hole - supermassive
3. Lightning Bind 9-11 times in a row - against a single target if necessary
4. Electrocute - Forked Lightning to recharge.

Against trash
1. Spawn two Lightning Hydras
2. Black Hole - supermassive (this step is usually not necessary against most trash)
3. Electrocute - Forked Lightning.

Interesting fun facts about my set up:

1. IAS makes Lightning Hydras act like Conduit Pylons...seriously. It's like a tesla coil.
2. Hydras will always crit for the same number, over and over. It's locked, depending on bonuses to hyra, your base dps, etc. There is no fluctuation. Mine crit for ~6,000,000.
3. I have 211 Arcane Power, allows for single target meltage without concerns over "running dry".
4. Velvet and Mykens are pretty amazing.

_____
-Melk
~iRap, You probz don't~
05/27/2014 05:19 AMPosted by Tahqa
Are tasker and theo working properly with Hydras? I thought someone tested them and it's not working.

05/27/2014 04:38 AMPosted by massiveattak

This would only work with arcane hydras, and what do you mean by entropy passive?

Pretty sure it's called entropy - arcane dmg slows enemies by 60% for 2 seconds or something. I used to run this build in D3 Vanilla. It's way better now with serpent and taskers.

OP uses an arcane wizard it was more directed at him. Yes, Taskers are working properly.